Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:13:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Trek Picard S2

Started by Malcy, June 16, 2021, 06:50:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on September 09, 2021, 06:50:40 PM
Maybe that's what they will do. The "bad" future is actually the one we're going to irl and they have to restore the future where 600 million people die in WWIII cos it's the better one long term. I'm struggling to see how it'll end up as anything but painful to watch though. I didn't like when Enterprise hammered the War on Terror similarities in season 3 right into our eyes and ears with suicide bombers and Trip going on about 'none of the non interference crap' in case watching Archer look for WMDs might be too subtle otherwise. This looks like it could be on the same level.
I would like to be able to watch that story and enjoy the moral dilemma as something purely based in the Star Trek universe but it'll be tough not to read it as "nuclear annihilation would be better than the present 21st century". I'm imagining Picard trying to find a third choice even though that will erase a ton of history.

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on September 09, 2021, 07:05:44 PM
I would like to be able to watch that story and enjoy the moral dilemma as something purely based in the Star Trek universe but it'll be tough not to read it as "nuclear annihilation would be better than the present 21st century". I'm imagining Picard trying to find a third choice even though that will erase a ton of history.

Or if he ended up in a situation where he's presented with a 3rd choice that on the surface appears superior, but ends up not taking it because he just can't be sure enough about how it works out in the long term and allows WWIII to happen again.

JamesTC

I doubt they will acknowledge WWIII, Phillip Green (future Hitler) or Terra Prime.

Quote from: JamesTC on September 09, 2021, 07:13:03 PM
I doubt they will acknowledge WWIII, Phillip Green (future Hitler) or Terra Prime.
They'd have to acknowledge World War III. People who watch this watched First Contact. Never heard of Phillip Green.

JamesTC

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on September 09, 2021, 07:15:31 PM
They'd have to acknowledge World War III. People who watch this watched First Contact. Never heard of Phillip Green.

Future Hitler from TOS and Enterprise.

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: JamesTC on September 09, 2021, 07:13:03 PM

Presuming the setting is the 2020s, it'll be too early for Green who I think was supposed to be post WWIII (so 2050s). They haven't really had a problem pulling names and concepts from classic Trek for NuTrek, wouldn't surprise me if they did mention WWIII and the possible build up to it beginning here etc. But at the same time, maybe we are in Eugenics Wars territory with WWIII, as it's only supposed to be 30 years up the road from when the episode is broadcast. So they may decide to only make passing references at best.

Although a nuclear war being only 30 years away is less fanciful than intergalactic travel being only 30 years away as was depicted in Space Seed coming out in the 60s. Speaking of which, I suspect they will skim over or ignore the Eugenics Wars, seeing as they weren't mentioned in Future's End which was set in 1996, the same year Khan got blasted into space.

What should be going on now are the Sanctuary Districts and the build up to the Bell Riots.

Apologies for the ramble. That post is most unfocussed.

JamesTC

Oh I don't expect Colonel Green to show up. He is likely a teenager as of 2021. But any future which they stop comes at the price of enabling another. I don't think they will acknowledge the fact that them rescuing the future is them setting up mass murderers or devastating world wars.

Lemming

Laughed throughout the trailer - HITLER PICARD - but, you know what, it looks potentially a lot better than the first season, which was just amazingly shit. All the actors proved they were up to the task in S1[nb]with the possible exception of Romulan Samurai Guy, but to be fair to the actor, there was literally no way to make that work, so it's not a fair test of his abilities[/nb], even if the material they were given was abominable, so things like the Seven/Raffi teamup could be a lot of fun.

Mr Trumpet

We can't have a dark alternate Picard story without referencing Mirror Universe daddy Picard, surely

Blumf

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on September 09, 2021, 06:57:46 PM
You know Geordi's from Africa, right? So why does he sound American? How come Worf doesn't sound Russian? What's Deanna's accent supposed to be? How come Lwaxana doesn't have one?

O'Brien is from the Home Counties, he diddled with the Universal Translator to give him that accent. It was either that or Mockney Wankhar.

I want a Scouser on the bridge.

JamesTC

Quote from: Blumf on September 09, 2021, 08:18:25 PM

I want a Scouser on the bridge.

That makes it sound like they have to announce it when one turns up, like when the Captain arrives and they have to say "Captain on the bridge".

Alberon

That trailer has sucked all the interest out of the show for me. The first season started well before collapsing to a dreadful will-this-do finish.

Now they seem to be rehashing the Terran empire and time travel to the present (which has been hammered to death by thousands of TV shows and films let alone Star Trek itself). Add a splash of geriatric Q and you end up with cold porridge.

I think I read somewhere they'd gone straight into shooting season three which I'd assume would be the end of the show. Can't say I care.

beanheadmcginty

Maybe people can choose what accent the universal translator gives them. Like a ringtone. Or maybe the Romulan woman dropped hers in a pint of Guinness.

JamesTC

She worked undercover in Ireland for the Tal Shiar.

mothman

Perhaps Philip Green is Dominic Green from Quantum Of Solace's brother, and is played by Rami Malek in No Time To Die? I may be creating an almighty mish-mash of franchises here, but it'd be no more convoluted and contrived than PIC.

Oh, sure, let's time-travel to the past by reanimating the corpse of a Borg Queen, and then leave it in the care of Dr. Kim Pine. I can't see any potential drawbacks to that plan...

Kim Pine should be in jail, at this point. She killed a man because her mind was all scrambled from shock sites.[nb]The weakest part of the entire show. Why would Romulans be freaked out by timelapse footage of a fox rotting? Why didn't they see huge pointy things coming right at their eyes while machine language and transformer sounds screeched deafeningly in their ears?[/nb] That won't hold up in any court.

Cloud

Hate the mirror universe, always have, always will. It's shit and overdone and just really lazy for an entire mirror universe to somehow be all inherently evil.

Don't fancy it going into present day either. STV was a novelty once, it doesn't need to be done again as an entire series

Also, too old for Q's shit? Mate, you're an Android. Did the whole "cheating death" thing, remember?

evilcommiedictator

That trailer looks fucking atrocious. Every ten seconds I'm going "Oh no...."

beanheadmcginty

They really need to stop fucking swearing. It's the most incongruous thing to introduce to Star Trek. It doesn't make the characters cool and relatable, it makes them childishly underwritten and shit. Kirk being baffled by profanity in Star Trek 4 is a wonderful moment. Every time I hear them swear in the new stuff it bursts that Shatner balloon.

Mobbd

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on September 10, 2021, 02:37:01 AM
They really need to stop fucking swearing. It's the most incongruous thing to introduce to Star Trek. It doesn't make the characters cool and relatable, it makes them childishly underwritten and shit. Kirk being baffled by profanity in Star Trek 4 is a wonderful moment. Every time I hear them swear in the new stuff it bursts that Shatner balloon.

The misguided swearing (and now the doubling down on it) is emblematic of the whole problem. These shows are made by tin-eared jocks and businessmen who don't have a clue what is cool, much less what is meaningful.

Their idea of cool is utterly puerile. "SCIENCE: HELL YEAH!"

They don't actually swear that much lads. They could cut it back by about 33% but it's not excessive. It just seems like a lot because outside of the movies the TNG cast never swore. Unless it was in Klingon.

Mr Trumpet

Picard swore in French once or twice in early TNG

JamesTC

New Star Trek is a robot that perfectly understands the facts but has no concept of context.

Yes we saw Data cut off from swearing in TNG. Yes we saw Data swear in Generations. But there was a context behind those moments. What is the context of the swearing in New Trek? It is just savage backwards thinking applied to the future (in Star Trek terms).

Fucking idiots.

Quote from: JamesTC on September 10, 2021, 09:01:00 AM
New Star Trek is a robot that perfectly understands the facts but has no concept of context.

Yes we saw Data cut off from swearing in TNG. Yes we saw Data swear in Generations. But there was a context behind those moments. What is the context of the swearing in New Trek? It is just savage backwards thinking applied to the future (in Star Trek terms).

Fucking idiots.
Yeah this is more nitpicking shite, sorry. They never swore before (I wonder if that had anything to do with it being on television and having to abide by broadcasting standards and practices) therefore this is just one more piece of evidence that proves etc.

Blumf

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on September 10, 2021, 08:39:32 AM
They don't actually swear that much lads. They could cut it back by about 33% but it's not excessive. It just seems like a lot because outside of the movies the TNG cast never swore. Unless it was in Klingon.

And it was only that one time we saw a character being vivisected. Just the once, no big deal. Right, guys?

God DAMN! It's so refreshing and grown up to see them all swearing occasionally. You can see it's a real drama now, because they use adult language, like grown ups do,... Yeah mum, I said I'd take the rubbish out, gaawd!!!... anybody complaining about it are just being big babies, not like us, proper grown ups.

Ii mean, Star Trek Picard makes the Fast & Furious films look childish, that's how cool and grown up and mature it is. ... Muuuuum, I said I'd do it! Leave me alone!

Mr Trumpet

The only sweary bit I remember in S1 was the admiral shutting Picard down. I thought that worked pretty well, as it startled the audience in the same way it startled the man himself to have his demands rejected so abruptly.

The line in the new trailer is a bit more silly, but it's the "i'm way too old" bit that bothers me more tbh. PatStew's been hanging around with Americans for too long.

mothman

That's a good point, actually. He could have said "I am FAR too old..." and even Americans would have understood what he meant ("MOM! That British guy pretending to be French described a period of time using a term for distance!").

Quote from: Blumf on September 10, 2021, 09:27:48 AM
And it was only that one time we saw a character being vivisected. Just the once, no big deal. Right, guys?

God DAMN! It's so refreshing and grown up to see them all swearing occasionally. You can see it's a real drama now, because they use adult language, like grown ups do,... Yeah mum, I said I'd take the rubbish out, gaawd!!!... anybody complaining about it are just being big babies, not like us, proper grown ups.

Ii mean, Star Trek Picard makes the Fast & Furious films look childish, that's how cool and grown up and mature it is. ... Muuuuum, I said I'd do it! Leave me alone!
Do you need to change your pants after shitting them so much?

olliebean

Deanna's accent was originally supposed to be a Betazoid accent; the producers asked her to make one up because she was supposed to be exotic. So she came up with one that was a bit of a mish-mash of Eastern European and Israeli accents. Then she got pissed off when her mother didn't have the accent, and basically said What the fuck? to Rick Berman, who brushed her off by telling her the character had her father's accent (which makes no sense because her father was supposed to be human). So she got pissed off again later when her father didn't have the accent, and basically said What the double fuck?? to Berman, who brushed her off by telling her they'd sent her away to school. After that I think she pretty much let the accent lapse, because basically What the fuck???

Alberon

That's the problem when a lead actor does an accent, guest actors rarely copy them. See also Londo Mollari in Babylon 5.