Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:54:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

General weight loss thread

Started by bgmnts, August 29, 2021, 01:08:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamiefairlie

Quote from: thenoise on September 05, 2021, 01:16:37 PM
I ask you. What's next pepper in tea? Sprinkle of mustard powder in your cocoa? Is nothing sacred to these people?

Well interestingly enough, black pepper helps your body absorb nutrients more efficiently.

badaids

I passed the 100 kilo mark before the summer.  Never been that much of an oxygen thief before, none of my clothes fit me anymore and you can't lie to your trousers. 

So I started my Gym regime combined with, well not a diet exactly, more a don't eat like a disgusting pig regime (3 non junk meals a day, no snacking, no eating before sleeping, lots of water), on monday. 

So that + 30 mins of sickening train to fail every day with a day of on Sunday means that I have felt starving and in the kind of pain a sex offender must feel like in his first week in gen-pop.  However I lost a kilo.  Now I just need to keep it up for 4 months.  If I can lose 10 kilos I'll be content, if I can lose 15 I'll be facking delighted.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: thenoise on September 03, 2021, 10:28:17 PM
I mean, coffee is a diuretic anyway, right? And now we are adding salt to that shit. Am I going to have to drink water the rest of the day just to make up for my morning coffee? That i put salt in like a fucking idiot, instead of delicious milk and lovely sugar like a normal human being?
Milk and sugar? Do you have that coffee with your bowl of Coco Pops in the morning?
It's just a little pinch of salt, not a cup of seawater. I bet you're one of of those types who freaks out over pineapple on pizza.

poo

Quote from: poo on September 01, 2021, 11:12:38 AM
215lb "titted hulk" aiming to get down to 194lb ripped cum machine for a big group camping wank end of Nov. Will post updates, which I'm sure you'll find very interesting.

01/09/2021 -  215lbs

10/09/21 - 209lbs (-6lbs, 15lb to go)

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: thenoise on September 03, 2021, 10:28:17 PM
I mean, coffee is a diuretic anyway, right? And now we are adding salt to that shit. Am I going to have to drink water the rest of the day just to make up for my morning coffee? That i put salt in like a fucking idiot, instead of delicious milk and lovely sugar like a normal human being? Christ on a bike.

Apparently the diuretic effects of coffee are relatively negligible.

https://time.com/5192272/coffee-tea-dehydrating/

thenoise

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on September 05, 2021, 07:19:53 PM
Milk and sugar? Do you have that coffee with your bowl of Coco Pops in the morning?
It's just a little pinch of salt, not a cup of seawater. I bet you're one of of those types who freaks out over pineapple on pizza.

Milk goes on cocoa pops (and it's for children), I drink coffee out of a coffee cup. I suppose that is fuddy duddy of me as well?? Enjoy your salty coffee on children's cereal, probably served on a chipped tile in a boardgame cafe.

touchingcloth

Can I just shock you? Salty coffee and deliberately courting ketosis both sound like ideas which, if not terrible, are questionable at best. AT BEST.

imitationleather

Milk and sugar in coffee? Pfff... Get a load of Mr 1970s!

Quote from: touchingcloth on September 10, 2021, 05:33:59 PM
Can I just shock you? Salty coffee and deliberately courting ketosis both sound like ideas which, if not terrible, are questionable at best. AT BEST.
Salted (not salty) coffee is fine. I'm fairly certain keto diets are a load of guff though.

jamiefairlie

Well given that Keto is essentially low carb plus and most carbs come from processed sugar (including booze) then it's hard to see why it's not beneficial based on eliminating those alone.

popcorn

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: poo on September 10, 2021, 10:32:10 AM
fuck yeah

well done poo

as for the ketosis debate, all of those diets sound a lot like reinventing the wheel to me. Just:
- cook
- eat more veg
- eat more fruit
- drink more water
- cut down on the shite
- find out what an appropriate portion size is and stick to it

Quote from: jamiefairlie on September 10, 2021, 07:51:44 PM
Well given that Keto is essentially low carb plus and most carbs come from processed sugar (including booze) then it's hard to see why it's not beneficial based on eliminating those alone.
I'll readily admit that I'm no food scientist (although I strongly suspect that none of the keto evangelists on Youtube are, either) and my opinion is based on observing only one person. It seems to me there is a fairly significant difference between cutting down on sugar and eliminating carbs entirely, though. I don't think it's doing them any direct harm, but it seems like a lot of fuss for no apparent benefit.

El Unicornio, mang

Have a friend in America who has lost a ton of weight in the past month due to being sick (nothing gravely serious), that's an option. He's been posting about how he's down to a stick thin 180lbs (13 stone), friends commenting tips for him to gain his weight back. He's shorter than me and when I got up to 170lbs in lockdown I looked fat af.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on September 11, 2021, 02:14:26 PM
Have a friend in America who has lost a ton of weight in the past month due to being sick (nothing gravely serious), that's an option. He's been posting about how he's down to a stick thin 180lbs (13 stone), friends commenting tips for him to gain his weight back. He's shorter than me and when I got up to 170lbs in lockdown I looked fat af.

Dusty Substance

Best tip for losing weight is to go vegan - Or at least quit eggs and dairy.

poo

Quote from: poo on September 10, 2021, 10:32:10 AM

210 lbs

+1lb this week (-5lbs, 16lbs to go)

Not too bothered about this. In fact, bit of a result after last weekend, which turned into a celebratory bender - 20-odd pints of Butty Bach and a few roast chickens.

bgmnts

Quote from: Dusty Substance on September 11, 2021, 09:57:48 PM
Best tip for losing weight is to go vegan - Or at least quit eggs and dairy.

To be fair i've been vegan for two years and i'm the fattest i've ever been.

I'd say vegetarian is the sweet spot for health.

checkoutgirl

Are vegetarian stuff like the no bull burger and Linda McCartney sausages healthier than actual meat? They must be full of god knows what.

touchingcloth

Quote from: checkoutgirl on September 17, 2021, 02:29:02 PM
Are vegetarian stuff like the no bull burger and Linda McCartney sausages healthier than actual meat? They must be full of god knows what.

I think it comes down to what you mean by "healthier".

I've mentioned upthread about how I've switched away from calorie counting to focussing more on eliminating ultra processed foods with inflammatory effects from my diet, and vegan foods - in particular when they are trying to emulate meats - can be some of the worst offenders in this area. If I were eating vegan and sticking away from UPFs I'd go with a bean burger rather than one of those Impossible Burgers, because they're full of sunflower oil and binding agents and many of the other things I try to avoid.

That's not to say that "proper" sausages and burgers are therefore healthier for you, of course, just that depending on your aims the definition of "healthier" is likely to be more complicated than just the presence or lack of meat, and my own preference would be for natural, whole foods[nb]Both "natural" and "whole" are wanky words that I'm not fully onboard with, but they're quicker to right than talking about non-ultra-processed all the time.[/nb] whether I was eating meat or not.

bgmnts

Quote from: checkoutgirl on September 17, 2021, 02:29:02 PM

Well no but you dont have to eat that stuff really.

Eating unhealthy processed shite will probably always be unhealthy unprocesses shite regardless.

An tSaoi

Vegetarian and vegan food is unhealthier than it has ever been. Vegan chocolate, donuts, burgers. It's not just salad any more. Great selection, but the idea that it's inherently a "skinny" diet isn't true.

I eat Linda McCartney sausages, Quorn nuggets, tofu etc, and I couldn't tell you what plants they're made from. I don't know what any of it actually is. In terms of healthiness, it's probably no better than mystery meat. I'm still a fat fuck.

I lost more weight switching from lager to spirits than from meat to fake meat.

paruses

Just remembered I have a cake to eat downstairs. It's not going great at the moment. Apart from the cake.

MikeP

One major impediment to weight loss is glucose-fructose syrup under whatever name the food producers want to hide it.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/beware-the-devils-candy-z0ct2twgzp0

And ignoring calorific values can be useful. A bale of hay has a very high calorific value but not in any way usable as energy or fat production by you.

Remember always that fat has a high calorific value but cannot be laid down as fat in the body. Although the food that you continue to eat with it will be.

popcorn

Quote from: MikeP on September 17, 2021, 05:06:06 PM
And ignoring calorific values can be useful. A bale of hay has a very high calorific value but not in any way usable as energy or fat production by you.

I have a feeling this is not true, in the sense that it implies "some foods have high calories but they won't make you fat".

In any case, paying attention only to calories is very useful if you just want a simple way to lose weight. It's very easy to overthink the whole process.

Pretty sure if I only ate five Mars Bars a day (5 x 230 calories = 1150 calories per day), and no other food, and only drank water, I would lose a lot of weight very fast.

touchingcloth

Quote from: popcorn on September 17, 2021, 05:11:46 PM
Pretty sure if I only ate five Mars Bars a day (5 x 230 calories = 1150 calories per day), and no other food, and only drank water, I would lose a lot of weight very fast.

I dunno. I reckon in a practical sense you'd end up feeling very non-sated almost all of the time, and you'd almost certainly crack and start scoffing other things just to make yourself feel full, and potentially even quitting some of the daily Mars Bars because they were just sickening.

It's one of those diets which works in theory purely because of the calorie count, but in practice when someone isn't literally locked up and left with no option other than to eat five Mars Bars the whole five Mars Bars and nothing but the five Mars Bars they'd soon stray from it.

touchingcloth

Quote from: MikeP on September 17, 2021, 05:06:06 PM
Remember always that fat has a high calorific value but cannot be laid down as fat in the body. Although the food that you continue to eat with it will be.

One of the weight loss books I've read made a point which has stuck with me, that if foods were named for what they did to you rather than what they were made of, sugar would be called fat. I think that's one of the reasons why the food industry has been so successfully able to market incredibly unhealthy foods by claiming - perfectly accurately - that they are low in fat, because it's so easy for people to mentally draw conclusions from those three little letters.

popcorn

Quote from: touchingcloth on September 17, 2021, 11:21:47 PM
I dunno. I reckon in a practical sense you'd end up feeling very non-sated almost all of the time, and you'd almost certainly crack and start scoffing other things just to make yourself feel full, and potentially even quitting some of the daily Mars Bars because they were just sickening.

It's one of those diets which works in theory purely because of the calorie count, but in practice when someone isn't literally locked up and left with no option other than to eat five Mars Bars the whole five Mars Bars and nothing but the five Mars Bars they'd soon stray from it.

Yes but you've slightly missed the point - I'm not suggesting everyone try the Mars Bar diet, as it would have all sorts of unworkable practical implications, as you say.

I'm just talking about the basic facts of calories - you cut them, you lose weight, you boost them, you gain weight, whether you're consuming them via Mars Bars or carrots. Speculation about good calories, bad calories, worrying about other nutrients etc is pretty immaterial for the purposes of weight loss. Diets like the keto diet, Atkins diet etc etc all basically work by cutting calories at the end of the day.

touchingcloth

Quote from: popcorn on September 17, 2021, 11:27:31 PM
I'm just talking about the basic facts of calories - you cut them, you lose weight, you boost them, you gain weight, whether you're consuming them via Mars Bars or carrots. Speculation about good calories, bad calories, worrying about other nutrients etc is pretty immaterial for the purposes of weight loss. Diets like the keto diet, Atkins diet etc etc all basically work by cutting calories at the end of the day.

It's too simplistic, I think, because of the feedback loops in appetite and metabolism and activity levels. It's extremely hard to stick strictly to the "eat less, move more" equation in the real world because restrictive diets can both make people's desire to eat more and move less incredibly strong (snipping wired jaws open or sucking blended kebabs through a straw, at extreme ends), and can also suppress metabolisms so that fewer calories are burned at rest.

I think the Mars Bar diet is just a pretty extreme form of one which would cause all of those sorts of effects, and Atkins and keto aren't immune from it.

I'm not so sure about good versus bad calories, but there's definitely evidence that certain food types can help stop some of the pitfalls of cutting calories, especially when they're aimed at levelling out insulin and blood sugar levels. The Mars Bar diet would probably have you more mad with hunger than an equivalent number of calories consumed as carrots just because they would make your blood sugar spike and crash, and weaken your insulin response so that the spikes and crashes became increasingly extreme until the old diabetes kicked in. Actually, saying that, what does a leg weigh?

popcorn

Again, I wasn't saying anyone should try the Mars Bar diet. That was a silly example I just made up to demonstrate an idea about calories.

People think "eat bad food = get fat". In fact it's "consume more calories than you burn = get fat". That's it.

A friend of mine was shocked that I was dieting but having a McDonald's for lunch. Well, it's because I can afford the calories today.