Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:51:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Janey Godley, Scottish Neoliberal Party jester!

Started by Rizla, September 08, 2021, 05:14:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

The racist tweets escalated quickly, from 'well that doesn't read well' to 'fucking hell!' pretty quickly.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: GMTV on September 10, 2021, 10:03:21 AM
Can't be having a reasonably prominent SNP / indy figurehead being accused of being an obnoxious racist. The SNP and indy supporters aren't racist. So I'm not sure what's going on here. Best accept her apologies and we can all continue being progressive.

Well, that's absolutely nobody satirised successfully, well done.

Dusty Substance

Fucking hell. Now I've read a bit more about her, the tweets, the 12k and her general social media behaviour in recent years, I say good fucking riddance.

An absolute bully, instigating pile-ons using her 250k followers and trying to get people fired. Whatever the politics of those people, she's the worst kind of hypocrite (the hypocrisy was the worst part etc).

Looking at Facebook and Twitter, it seems that she's got a whole bunch of comedy friends and followers who must surely have seen her racist and nasty tweets over the years and yet none of them ever thought to step in and perhaps tell her to tone things down a little.

Some of those tweets are utterly inexcusable and yet she appeared to often take the moral high ground.

As much as I'm happy to see her disappear from social media, I still don't wish for her to be on the receiving end of an avalanche of abuse.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Kankurette on September 10, 2021, 10:55:55 AM
Me too, tbh. I actually liked her up until I found out about those racist tweets.

Yes, I never really got the levels of hatred she attracted. It mostly seemed to come from the kind of boorish sexists who seem to have a problem with female comedians in general. I used to enjoy her daft wee videos of Honey the daft wee sausage dug and Nicola Sturgeon and Big Teresa, and her podcast had a nice cosy feel to it. It all seemed pretty harmless.

I didn't know about her instigating Twitter pile-ones though, I'm not on there enough to notice these things but I always think dimly of public figures who engage in that kind of bullying behaviour.

No coming back from this now is there? Her public image of the kindly Scottish aunt who'd invite you into her cosy wee hoose for a cup of tea and some time clapping her wee dug about the lugs is well and truly shattered.

idunnosomename

How did the slurs on her podcast shouted down by (presumably) her daughter go unremarked before now? Even in 2010 screaming about Pakis and gyppos was not acceptable

Garam

Because no cunt listened to it. Why would you

Anyway, generally against a twitter pile on, but fuck her and fuck the SNP, these hypocrite pricks need more people pointing out their countless double standards

Dex Sawash

ajsmith2

Quote from: idunnosomename on September 10, 2021, 08:05:08 PM
How did the slurs on her podcast shouted down by (presumably) her daughter go unremarked before now? Even in 2010 screaming about Pakis and gyppos was not acceptable
FWIW, I'm pretty sure this stuff has been known about and frequently brought up by her online detractors for years: I swear I read about all these offending tweets and podcasts at least 5 years ago. But back then it was only used diffusely as ammunition in the kind of small scale petty online skirmishes that an internet famous provocateur of Godleys level is often embroiled in.

It's only now that she's been fronting a government campaign with the greater responsibility and accountability that entails that she's become a figure more worthy of public scrutiny (and of course there's precious political capital to be made for the SNP's detractors by highlighting the toxic association)

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: bgmnts on September 09, 2021, 07:16:36 PM
You lot have fucking Limmy! Why are they spunking 12k on this racist dinner lady cunt?

Made me laugh ( unlike Janey Godley).

Bigfella

The papers mentioned her daughter whose name seemed familiar.  Turns out she's in 'Up for it', a BBC Scotland comedy programme which is truly abysmal.  I don't like to put youngsters down but fuck me sideways, it's like they grabbed three random kids from Byres Road and asked them to try and be funny.  One bit had the daughter saying that kids should teach their dads to delete their browsing history.  She should have paid more attention to her mum posting 'darkie' jokes.

ajsmith2

Quote from: Bigfella on September 12, 2021, 10:44:40 AM
She should have paid more attention to her mum posting 'darkie' jokes.

She does attempt to call her mum out on the podcast racism clip posted above for what it's worth.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Bigfella on September 12, 2021, 10:44:40 AM
The papers mentioned her daughter whose name seemed familiar.  Turns out she's in 'Up for it', a BBC Scotland comedy programme which is truly abysmal.  I don't like to put youngsters down but fuck me sideways, it's like they grabbed three random kids from Byres Road and asked them to try and be funny.  One bit had the daughter saying that kids should teach their dads to delete their browsing history.  She should have paid more attention to her mum posting 'darkie' jokes.

Sounds awful, like Limmy's 'random!' sketches.

Bigfella

Quote from: jamiefairlie on September 12, 2021, 03:36:45 PM
Sounds awful, like Limmy's 'random!' sketches.
Haven't seen Limmy so I can't compare.  'Up for it' is broadcast on Thursdays on BBC Scotland.  Brace yourself, it's heavy going.

ajsmith2

Quote from: Bigfella on September 12, 2021, 04:41:00 PM
                        Haven't seen Limmy so I can't compare.  'Up for it' is broadcast on Thursdays on BBC Scotland.  Brace yourself, it's heavy going.

I think Jamiefarlie meant this sketch in particular.

https://youtu.be/P0oLNZw2weg

Bigfella

Quote from: ajsmith2 on September 12, 2021, 05:10:15 PM
I think Jamiefarlie meant this sketch in particular.

https://youtu.be/P0oLNZw2weg
Thanks, but I can't watch any internet videos.  No computer, primitive phone.

Garam

Not missing much mate. By some distance the most overrated comedian of the last 20 years, and a total arsehole besides

dissolute ocelot

Limmy's Random has to be a parody of Up For It with Godley's daughter Ashley Storrie and the gang. I've seen Storrie do standup, and it's pretty much like having a talkative teenager chatter to you about whatever comes to her mind, and of similar levels of humour. Still better than mum, though. Her father Sean Storrie, Godley's husband, is apparently a Glasgow gangland figure, which may explain why the family continues to get work.

derek stitt

Still think that the SNP need a celebrity supporter shit on the chest story rather than some racist old ex landlady being a bit of a racist old ex landlady to truly cement their place at the top (possibly glass) table of this islands third political party.

JaDanketies

lol I followed her because the people attempting to cancel her seemed like a big bunch of fash cunts but them racist tweets are inexcusable.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Rizla on September 08, 2021, 05:14:59 PM
Voice of the people and rib-tickler par excellence mucks in on behalf of us scots, with her couthy, whae's-like-us take on the PSA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lTf-JHqIy8

That video's been made private now - and I haven't seen it - was there something actually wrong with it, or is it just because she's been cancelled?

ajsmith2

Quote from: gilbertharding on September 13, 2021, 10:04:53 AM
That video's been made private now - and I haven't seen it - was there something actually wrong with it, or is it just because she's been cancelled?

Nothing technically 'wrong' with it in itself in that there was no outrageous or transgressionary content in the video itself, although many inc the OP would find plenty subjectively wrong with it in terms of finding Godley's 'awright troops we hiv all gotta keep wearing the masks lang may yer arse reek' patter presentation style both irritatingly twee and patronising. I'm Godley agnostic but I can't help agree that even before the bad ol racism came out that she was a terrible choice for fronting this in terms of actually getting the message across widely being as she was already such a divisive figure who's an instant turn off to many.

idunnosomename

It's also rather blatantly nepotistic of Sturgeon to get someone she's besties with to front a government health campaign for a easy £12k.

Wean at a buffet. Fucks sake.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: ajsmith2 on September 13, 2021, 10:16:56 AM
Nothing technically 'wrong' with it in itself in that there was no outrageous or transgressionary content in the video itself, although many inc the OP would find plenty subjectively wrong with it in terms of finding Godley's 'awright troops we hiv all gotta keep wearing the masks lang may yer arse reek' patter presentation style both irritatingly twee and patronising. I'm Godley agnostic but I can't help agree that even before the bad ol racism came out that she was a terrible choice for fronting this in terms of actually getting the message across widely being as she was already such a divisive figure who's an instant turn off to many.

Is she/was she? On what lines was she divisive (assuming her racist remarks where not widely known before).

canadagoose

I do wonder who would be a good alternative leader. Feels like things are a bit hopeless in Scotland lately. I mean, I'd like Slater or Harvie to be FM, but that's not going to happen, is it. Sarwar is fine but not inspiring. And God forbid Douglas Ross gets in.

stonkers

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on September 13, 2021, 12:13:33 PM
Is she/was she? On what lines was she divisive (assuming her racist remarks where not widely known before).

I think mainly just for the reasons ajsmith2 says, her whole Glesgae wifey patter gimmick just winds a lot of people up. Doesn't help that most of the country doesn't talk like that.

ajsmith2

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on September 13, 2021, 12:13:33 PM

As well as being a veteran of many online spats, the fact she's so closely identified with enthusiastic/non critical SNP/Sturgeon support is hugely divisive. I mean obviously any video coming from the Scottish Government is gonna be SNP adjacent, but using Godley really rams home that aspect. Also the marmitey comic persona as stonkers says.

canadagoose