Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:07:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The price of DVD's

Started by Head Gardener, September 14, 2021, 04:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Head Gardener

has gone down quite a bit from just a few years ago, as seen in my local Barnardo's today, they are normally 20 for £1 so this is a BARGAIN

TrenterPercenter

Fambo Number Mive

I remember when VHSs were on their way out and you could buy them for £1 at the Oxfam Bookshop in Brighton, really good films as well. It looks like DVDs are worth even less.

Lethal Weapon 2 is quite a good find. Did you buy any of the DVDs in your photo? I tend to buy more books than DVDs from charity shops these days although you do get some good DVDs among the dross.

SUPRAS INVADE LAS VEGAS. The largest gathering of Toyota Supras in the world.

And it could be yours for just 20p.

imitationleather

In the stockroom at my girlfriend's charity shop there's loads of DVDs that are still in the cellophane wrapper. Some stuff I wouldn't mind watching, but I've not had a DVD player for at least five years by now.

Head Gardener

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on September 14, 2021, 04:14:32 PM
Did you buy any of the DVDs in your photo?

one, Man On Wire, for 20p, wahey!

Echo Valley 2-6809

I wonder if it's okay to open that box when you get it home. It's really not clear.

Echo Valley 2-6809

Buelligan

Now that youtube has gone narc, if you can't afford subscriptions to places like Netflix - especially if, like me, you live outside the anglosphere, dvds are the only way. 

A man I clean for gave me a new small dvd player with a usb port that I can use on my puter.  I hunt for cheap dvds (but here, that means Ebay and the postage to Europe is like a tenner a go).  Been slowly collecting stuff that I'd like to watch or love already, getting Loachie's catalogue together at the mo but it's painful slow.  I save them up for days that need cheering and they work a treat.  A joy, a new to me dvd. 

Goldentony

arse has gone out of em lads, arse? gone, arses gone

JamesTC

Woman! Close the blinds! I have returned from the hunt with Lord of the Dance, Westlife Greatest Hits Volume 1, Tench Fishing, Westlife Back Home, What We Did Last Summer - Robbie Williams, Miranda Series 2, White Chicks, Ali G Aiii, Supras Invade Las Vegas, F1 Not in a Hurry, About a Boy, American Pie Band Camp, In the Night Garden Hello Igglepiggle, Saw IV Extreme Edition, Wales Grand Slam 2005, Big Momma's House, The Smurfs, Animal Factory, Sugar Rush and Clarkson Supercar Showdown.

imitationleather

Quote from: JamesTC on September 14, 2021, 04:32:57 PM
Woman! Close the blinds! I have returned from the hunt with Lord of the Dance, Westlife Greatest Hits Volume 1, Tench Fishing, Westlife Back Home, What We Did Last Summer - Robbie Williams, Miranda Series 2, White Chicks, Ali G Aiii, Supras Invade Las Vegas, F1 Not in a Hurry, About a Boy, American Pie Band Camp, In the Night Garden Hello Igglepiggle, Saw IV Extreme Edition, Wales Grand Slam 2005, Big Momma's House, The Smurfs, Animal Factory, Sugar Rush and Clarkson Supercar Showdown.

Basically Prime Video, then.

Fambo Number Mive

Do DVDs in charity shops entice people to come in and maybe buy other stuff? Because you do wonder if those shelves could be used for items that would make more money if they are only selling them for 20p. Or do they get so many DVDs that their stockroom would be full if they didn't put them out? I know charity shops sometimes won't take books if they've got loads of them.

Miranda being published by Channel 4 rather than BBC Worldwide still freaks my nut out to this day.

Goldentony

Used to love walking up and down the aisles of That's Entertainment looking at columns of shit like this, fucking entire landscapes made up of FIFA and Wii Quiz with zero hope of ever being rehoused. A newer one opened up here in town with no name that now does seconds of vinyl and deluxe editions of shit but still the stuff nobody wants like 19 discs of The Small Faces or an entire run of Style Council b sides along with the usual Family Guy and I, Ron Man DVDs

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Buelligan on September 14, 2021, 04:28:31 PM
Now that youtube has gone narc, if you can't afford subscriptions to places like Netflix - especially if, like me, you live outside the anglosphere, dvds are the only way. 

A man I clean for gave me a new small dvd player with a usb port that I can use on my puter.  I hunt for cheap dvds (but here, that means Ebay and the postage to Europe is like a tenner a go).  Been slowly collecting stuff that I'd like to watch or love already, getting Loachie's catalogue together at the mo but it's painful slow.  I save them up for days that need cheering and they work a treat.  A joy, a new to me dvd.

Have you got Land and Freedom? That's probs my favourite but seems a bit less mentioned than some of his work. It is/was relatively un-streamable, (bfi only last time I looked) so apart from that it's dvd-only.

Sebastian Cobb

Happiness is a hard watch. I love bleak films but really didn't like that one.

Buelligan

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 14, 2021, 04:42:46 PM
Have you got Land and Freedom? That's probs my favourite but seems a bit less mentioned than some of his work. It is/was relatively un-streamable, (bfi only last time I looked) so apart from that it's dvd-only.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I got it but I've not watched it yet.  It's in the bank for a bad, bad, day.

JamesTC

Would have loved being a kid now. In my day you had a fiver and it would buy you 4 Star Trek videos from Cash Generator. Now I could buy 100 films on DVD.

I had so little to watch when I was younger that I saw About a Boy and I Spy numerous times.

Captain Z

There's a Japanese company working on an enzyme that will break DVDs down into their original 1s and 0s and turn that into Bitcoin.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: JamesTC on September 14, 2021, 04:51:12 PM
Would have loved being a kid now. In my day you had a fiver and it would buy you 4 Star Trek videos from Cash Generator. Now I could buy 100 films on DVD.

I had so little to watch when I was younger that I saw About a Boy and I, Spy numerous times.

In the mid 2000's when I was in University there was a cash converter with a few shelves of aging Megadrive games, and I still had mine, a couple of quid each for most stuff, I bought a lot of shit (Lawnmower man) and some gems (Jungle Strike, EA hockey).

Head Gardener

I have not been into a HMV for years (though I saw one in Dundee with it's £44 copy of the new Iron Maiden LP in the window earlier today) I assume they still try to sell DVD's to poor saps

imitationleather

When I went past HMV during the weekend the display nearest to the entrance was all those overpriced American snacks.

Inspector Norse

Still bought DVDs up until a couple of years ago because a lot of world/indie films were impossible to find on streaming and it was good to keep your Artificial Eyes and Second Runs and those lads in action, albeit by paying low prices at Fopp or HMV when I was back in the UK.

Genuinely don't understand what kind of person would shell out £15 to own a copy of Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance, though.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on September 14, 2021, 04:14:32 PM
I remember when VHSs were on their way out and you could buy them for £1

The last(probably) VHS I ever bought was "The Breakfast Club" for £1.  I still have it, although I've never played it.

DrGreggles

I've been buying loads of DVD boxsets and special editions in the last couple of years - all for a couple of quid or less. Gotta love former collectors who've run out of space.

JamesTC

I bought some cassettes and a VHS at the weekend. Paid £10 for the VHS.

Billy

By Summer 2009 there was a charity shop in Teignmouth selling VHS tapes for 10p each. Don't remember seeing them around much longer after that, it had been a few years by then since you could buy new ones on shelves.

Just before the second lockdown there was one in Farnborough selling DVDs for 25p each, good ones too like the Python films and random Oscar winners from the 90s and 2000s. Bought a ton of them and they got me through the winter nicely.

My work has a pile of about 50 DVDs on a "help yourself" basis near where you make tea. Most of the films are less than 10 years old and one or two are still in the plastic. Now is the time to stockpile, before the format hopefully becomes retro and desirable.

idunnosomename

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on September 14, 2021, 07:00:58 PM
The last(probably) VHS I ever bought was "The Breakfast Club" for £1.  I still have it, although I've never played it.
give it to Hadley Freeman so she can add it to her shrine