Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:15:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

20 years since them slags smashed into the twin towers...

Started by Butchers Blind, September 10, 2021, 12:32:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingcloth

Quote from: idunnosomename on September 14, 2021, 12:24:54 PM
dominos don't fall down from an upper critical structural failure leading to complete progressive collapse.

Whey oh whey oh, ay oh whey oh.

Replies From View

Quote from: idunnosomename on September 14, 2021, 12:24:54 PM
Although the 1993 bombing was intended to topple the N tower into the S. Problem there is no one would've been filming it. Bit of a waste really.

I was less aware of that 1993 bombing until the 45 minute version of the video shared somewhere above, with that man saying that he worked in the tower but had taken the day off, and that the only other day he'd taken off was 1993 on the day of the bombing.

Chinny reckon, mate.  Don't try to make this about yourself.

Anyway I then googled the 1993 bombing of it, so that was good.

Replies From View

Quote from: Blumf on September 13, 2021, 10:28:56 PM
Or Pink Floyd.

Who wrote a song about the second plane crash: 'Another Prick Hits The Wall.'

QuoteFollowing the September 11 attacks in 2001, Clear Channel Communications, the largest owner of radio stations in the United States, circulated an internal memo containing a list of songs that program directors felt were "lyrically questionable" to play in the aftermath of the attack.

List of Songs:
Beastie Boys - Sabotage
The Beatles - Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
Pat Benatar - Hit Me with Your Best Shot
Phil Collins - In the Air Tonight
Drowning Pool - Bodies
Foo Fighters - Learn to Fly
Norman Greenbaum - Spirit in the Sky
Elton John - Bennie and The Jets
Elton John - Rocket Man
Don McLean - American Pie
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Aeroplane
Talking Heads - Burning Down the House
The Trammps - Disco Inferno

Is that the exhaustive list?  If so, where was Queen's Another One Bites the Dust?

touchingcloth

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on September 14, 2021, 06:02:12 PM
Is that the exhaustive list?  If so, where was Queen's Another One Bites the Dust?

Quote from: touchingcloth on September 13, 2021, 09:56:36 PM
I was selective with the list so it's incomplete. Free Fallin' was one of the banned songs I omitted.

Another One Bites the Dust is on the full list, along with Killer Queen.

One of the other items on the list is "Rage Against the Machine: all". Seems an odd blanket omission given that they're not the sweariest band of all time, but maybe even back in 2001 the radio station saw the potential downside of specifying "rap".

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Replies From View on September 14, 2021, 03:46:45 PM
I was less aware of that 1993 bombing...

In December 1998 Prince did a song called "Osama bin Laden gettin' ready to bomb / 2001" which was presumably a reference to that earlier thing, while the 2001 part of the title was because the song segue'd into the 2001 A Space Odyssey tune.  I bet conspiracy theorists had a field day with it though.

steve98

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on September 14, 2021, 06:02:12 PM

Just been reading about this Denver DJ and anti-vaxxer, who, back in the day, would play Another One Bites The Dust whenever a gay died of AIDS. He's just died of Covid. A Christian of course.

Chollis

apparently the edited version (replacing the line with 1.5 seconds of silence) of Biggie's "Juicy" (1994) was the only one played on US Radio stations for a good decade after the attack. dunno if it's still the case.

Now I'm in the limelight, 'cause I rhyme tight/
Time to get paid, blow up like the World Trade

fair enough really

I remember the 1993 bombing being reported on the Radio Four news that I was listening to while tripping on LSD that evening.  Fortunately, that didn't conjure up any frightening hallucinations.

Chollis

a lot of 9/11 truthers think Biggie was killed by the government because he "knew too much"

Butchers Blind

Good to see Fresh Prince's 'Boom! Shake the Room' wasn't on the list.

buttgammon

Jeru the Damaja showed the towers in flames on an album cover only a year after the 1993 bombing. I can't imagine he got much airtime on mainstream radio, but he probably wasn't really going for that market.

Quote from: Chollis on September 14, 2021, 07:01:21 PM
a lot of 9/11 truthers think Biggie was killed by the government because he "knew too much"

No references to ex-CabBers please.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: buttgammon on September 14, 2021, 07:43:17 PM
Jeru the Damaja showed the towers in flames on an album cover only a year after the 1993 bombing.

The Sun Rises in the East! Great Album.

JaDanketies

imitationleather

That Party Music album cover was actually designed in June 2001!

idunnosomename

and my bad the Dream Theater album did actually get shipped out to stores with that cover on September 11th.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: idunnosomename on September 14, 2021, 09:40:17 PM
and my bad the Dream Theater album did actually get shipped out to stores with that cover on September 11th.

Fortunately it was dream theatre so no one noticed

Video Game Fan 2000

The band I Am The World Trade Center had to change their name

to the Beatles

Replies From View

chveik

evilcommiedictator

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on September 14, 2021, 10:21:23 PM
Fortunately it was dream theatre so no one noticed
Only the hardcore alcoholics waiting for the next 12 steps-based prog epic did?

mothman

[tag]British Sea Power concede that, in hindsight, it could have been a lot worse[/tag]

JamesTC

This ugly terrorist son of a bitch is fucking 72 hot virgins and basically, you are fucking stupid.

MikeP

While it was a major incident, partly because it received extensive coverage, it was not that horrific in the greater scheme of things. Less than 3000 people died. OK, they all did it in one place and time, and few of us were unmoved by it all, but in the USA in 2019 36,000 people died in motor vehicle accidents. And that was not so different from any other year. They were human lives like any other, and most of them were innocent victims with wives and chidren - many of them were children. So if you want wailing and gnashing of teeth have a go at the people who make and sell motor cars.
Just saying.

mothman

It was never about the deaths. The same MURICA types bleating about the anniversary over the weekend couldn't give a damn that the same number of people are dying every day from COVID.

idunnosomename

I do wonder why they hit it with early morning flights. if it'd been hit in the afternoon they'd have killed x10 as many. in the N tower it was mostly people who worked in the Windows on the World restaurant who'd gone up via the express elevator and were trapped, and of course a lot of workers didn't go up into the S tower after the other was was hit (even if it wasn't properly evacuated). if you wanted to make a statement you could've hit it them in the night when you'd still kill hundreds of people, but nowhere near as many. and if you hit it in the afternoon you could have a lie in and a nice breakfast and do an absolute massacre.