Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:59:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The price of DVD's

Started by Head Gardener, September 14, 2021, 04:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenoise

A few of my old DVDs have become unplayable, the dreaded 'disc rot', although mostly very early titles in the format (including 'single layer' discs that you had to flip halfway through). Also my toddler has scratched some of his toddler discs to shit pulling them in and out the case, but that's standard.
I think the inherent flimsy nature of discs makes them less collectable than eg vinyl or even VHS tapes - even if the tape case is smashed up you could probably salvage the tape itself if you cared that much. A scratched or rotted DVD is utterly useless.

idunnosomename

you can try and grind down the underside layer since the data is actually closer to the label side.

who cares

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 14, 2021, 04:43:32 PM
Happiness is a hard watch. I love bleak films but really didn't like that one.

Oh I like Happiness, seen it twice now. I think it's funny, funny and sad.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 14, 2021, 04:43:32 PM
Happiness is a hard watch.

The Beatles consider rewrite

The only DVDs I really want to keep hold of are ones with special edition packaging like the Reservoir Dogs gasoline can/matchbook DVD, or ones that are as good as they'll be in their DVD format (Seinfeld 4:3 box sets)

chveik

Quote from: Buelligan on September 14, 2021, 04:28:31 PM
Now that youtube has gone narc, if you can't afford subscriptions to places like Netflix - especially if, like me, you live outside the anglosphere, dvds are the only way. 

A man I clean for gave me a new small dvd player with a usb port that I can use on my puter.  I hunt for cheap dvds (but here, that means Ebay and the postage to Europe is like a tenner a go).  Been slowly collecting stuff that I'd like to watch or love already, getting Loachie's catalogue together at the mo but it's painful slow.  I save them up for days that need cheering and they work a treat.  A joy, a new to me dvd.

with the easing of covid restrictions i bet you could find some bargains at brocantes and things like that. or look on french sites like leboncoin, emmaus, gibert, you'd have far less postage costs

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Buelligan on September 14, 2021, 04:50:38 PM
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I got it but I've not watched it yet.  It's in the bank for a bad, bad, day.

Dunno if you've seen it before or whatever so don't want to get into spoilers but please pipe up in the film sub when you do get round to it. It's my favourite.

Head Gardener

I still have loads of DVD's including this sexy latex book of the dead edition of Evil Dead

Buelligan

Quote from: chveik on September 14, 2021, 11:18:09 PM
with the easing of covid restrictions i bet you could find some bargains at brocantes and things like that. or look on french sites like leboncoin, emmaus, gibert, you'd have far less postage costs

I know leboncoin and emmaus but did not know gibert, thank you!

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 15, 2021, 12:13:54 AM
Dunno if you've seen it before or whatever so don't want to get into spoilers but please pipe up in the film sub when you do get round to it. It's my favourite.

I will, with pleasure.  It's burning a hole in my desk now.

thenoise

Several 'complete dvd collections' (half a dozen boxes or more) for sale on Facebook marketplace for £30 or so. If it weren't for the pandemic and the baby I'd pick up a few and enjoy picking through it. But it's probably all shite, and I've got my own boxes full of shite that I never watch clogging up the garage as it is.
Still, a cheap way to get months/years of entertainment for some people, for the cost of a few months prime membership (which you might make back if you sell it on once you're bored).

Malcy

Quote from: idunnosomename on September 14, 2021, 11:13:53 PM
wanna keep this though

Reminds me of a market in Kuala Lumpur. Loads of stuff like that on VHS but surprisingly cheap and good quality.

Friend of mine used to go to India and bring back DVD's he'd bought on the beach. Usually Steven Segal shite with the violence badly edited out.

Malcy

Other benefit of DVD's are the special features, especially on things like Seinfeld. I don't get this "you still buy DVD's"? or "you mean you don't just use Spotify"? bullshit i see a lot of these days.

Ambient Sheep

Jesus, and I thought our local was cheap at 50p each or three for a quid.

mippy

Poundland here has about 27 copies of Kevin Bridges' 2011 tour.

imitationleather

The Catherine Tate Show is Big In The Game at my girlfriend's charity shop, so all you comedy fans should get there asap.

JamesTC

Quote from: Malcy on September 15, 2021, 08:19:34 PM
Other benefit of DVD's are the special features, especially on things like Seinfeld. I don't get this "you still buy DVD's"? or "you mean you don't just use Spotify"? bullshit i see a lot of these days.

The Notes About Nothing text track are wonderful. I wouldn't countenance watching Seinfeld without it again.

Plus I got a mini puffy shirt with Season 5/6.

Shit Good Nose

The price of DVDs now is ridiculous.  Being a very early adopter of the format in 1997 (importing a region 1 player from the States) I still remember the days in the UK of VERY limited selection, £19.99-29.99 in price (£19.99 being the cheapest), always with zero extras, and usually non-anamorphic or even - yeurk! - pan and scan.  Compared with the thousands of titles released in the US almost overnight which averaged £7-11 brand new fully delivered to the UK from the likes of Jungle, DVDEmpire, DVDPacific and Play, usually anamorphic widescreen and packed with extras.  That was also when new cinema releases in the UK were still months after the US release, so you could often buy the region 1 DVD before the UK theatrical release (Blair Witch Project - which I absolutely hate, but that's by the by - being a good example).

Mind you, I've pretty much completely switched to blu-ray and 4K UHD now, so the only time I look at DVDs is for films and TV shows that either will never be released on another physical format, or stuff I'm not particularly bothered about having in HD or 4K (South Park, for example, and it's mighty sweet being able to pick up a whole season of that for just a few quid including postage).

Big Mclargehuge

I do a lot of writing on absolutely shite films and as such the sight of boxsets like the below in charity shops give me a raging stiffy:

I've found a lot of charity shops have been throwing these multi disc sets away which is such a shame as i'd happily pay them 20p for them! before the fuckening started one of my favourite hobbies was going into my town center and hitting every charity shop and used DVD shop I could find and just gutting them of anything and everything that looked even remotely appealingly shite...like who doesnt want to watch this movie based on the cover alone!?:

JamesTC

Quote from: Big Mclargehuge on September 15, 2021, 11:57:15 PM
I do a lot of writing on absolutely shite films and as such the sight of boxsets like the below in charity shops give me a raging stiffy:

I own Shawshank Redemption in a release like that:

thenoise

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 15, 2021, 11:47:11 PM
The price of DVDs now is ridiculous.  Being a very early adopter of the format in 1997 (importing a region 1 player from the States) I still remember the days in the UK of VERY limited selection, £19.99-29.99 in price (£19.99 being the cheapest), always with zero extras, and usually non-anamorphic or even - yeurk! - pan and scan.  Compared with the thousands of titles released in the US almost overnight which averaged £7-11 brand new fully delivered to the UK from the likes of Jungle, DVDEmpire, DVDPacific and Play, usually anamorphic widescreen and packed with extras.  That was also when new cinema releases in the UK were still months after the US release, so you could often buy the region 1 DVD before the UK theatrical release (Blair Witch Project - which I absolutely hate, but that's by the by - being a good example).

Mind you, I've pretty much completely switched to blu-ray and 4K UHD now, so the only time I look at DVDs is for films and TV shows that either will never be released on another physical format, or stuff I'm not particularly bothered about having in HD or 4K (South Park, for example, and it's mighty sweet being able to pick up a whole season of that for just a few quid including postage).

Yeah, it was a strange time when I could frequently import DVDs from Europe or even America for cheaper than the UK alternative (at least, the prices they were sold in shops).  Also the BBFC were only just beginning to relax their draconian policies towards 'nasties', and horror movies and anything remotely racy would frequently be trimmed (compared to USA or Europe edition).  Thankfully the likes of Arrow seem to be able to get almost anything through nowadays.  Weird seeing the graphic cover for Nekromantik proudly displayed in HMV.

Big Mclargehuge

Quote from: JamesTC on September 16, 2021, 12:05:51 AM

Ooh I have that one too for "Witch house" and "Final Scream" I have shivers and Shawshank on bluray, but im hoping to do a piece next year on "Shite knockoffs of mainstream horror films" and "Final Scream" is definitely going to be covered in that xD they're really great value sets honestly, theres usually some great movies hiding on them like "Def by temptation", "Antropophagus", "Progeny" I mean; theres a LOT of shite too but when it's 20-50p it's always worth it xD

I've been keeping an eye out for this one for a while:

when players were first being sold they took the Robocop TV series and recut it into 4 TV movies that got dumped on one of these multi disc things to sell alongside players, but I've never seen one in the wild!

chveik

Quote from: JamesTC on September 16, 2021, 12:05:51 AM

shivers is pretty good

idunnosomename

freaks my nut out how the DVD era made the CD era look long. and how there's a box beyond the tills of the local flat-roofed Morrisons that lets you take whatever you want for a donation. stuff that retailed for £12-17 ten years ago unguarded for pennies. still, it was originally sold to recoup for the production, not the intrinsic value of the object itself.

JamesTC

Quote from: Big Mclargehuge on September 16, 2021, 12:17:02 AM
Ooh I have that one too for "Witch house" and "Final Scream" I have shivers and Shawshank on bluray, but im hoping to do a piece next year on "Shite knockoffs of mainstream horror films" and "Final Scream" is definitely going to be covered in that xD they're really great value sets honestly, theres usually some great movies hiding on them like "Def by temptation", "Antropophagus", "Progeny" I mean; theres a LOT of shite too but when it's 20-50p it's always worth it xD

I've been keeping an eye out for this one for a while:

when players were first being sold they took the Robocop TV series and recut it into 4 TV movies that got dumped on one of these multi disc things to sell alongside players, but I've never seen one in the wild!

I own that! Got it from Music Zone before it shut down. Just the discs now since I got rid of many of my DVD cases to save space a few months back.

EDIT: You can get it for £1 plus delivery off CEX.

Big Mclargehuge

Quote from: JamesTC on September 16, 2021, 12:26:20 AM
I own that! Got it from Music Zone before it shut down. Just the discs now since I got rid of many of my DVD cases to save space a few months back.

EDIT: You can get it for £1 plus delivery off CEX.

Sold! thanks for the heads up! oh im going to have fun with that one! I've just started looking through CEX's listings for "£1 movies" on DVD and if you filter it by "Lowest price" theres some RIGHT tut on there...who needs gumble!?

touchingcloth

JamesTC

Quote from: Big Mclargehuge on September 16, 2021, 12:34:24 AM
Sold! thanks for the heads up! oh im going to have fun with that one! I've just started looking through CEX's listings for "£1 movies" on DVD and if you filter it by "Lowest price" theres some RIGHT tut on there...who needs gumble!?

Delivery on CEX is per item so it isn't really economical to order from there unless it is for something specific that you can't get elsewhere easily. You can filter by local store so you can browse the stock and order online and then collect in store without any delivery fees.

Mobbd

Quote from: Buelligan on September 14, 2021, 04:28:31 PM
I hunt for cheap dvds (but here, that means Ebay and the postage to Europe is like a tenner a go).  Been slowly collecting stuff that I'd like to watch or love already, getting Loachie's catalogue together at the mo but it's painful slow.  I save them up for days that need cheering and they work a treat.  A joy, a new to me dvd.

You should save up all those tenners for a flight back to the UK and buy that Mystery Box. Don't open it until you've flown all the way back!

Buelligan

It's a great idea but I'm not sure I could live through the adrenaline spike.  Too much excitement for this little life, I'll leave that stuff to the professionals.

Knowing my luck, anyway, I'd probably get home and find the whole box was full of cocaine.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 15, 2021, 11:47:11 PM
£19.99-29.99 in price (£19.99 being the cheapest)

Thanks for explaining that to us Professor Maths.