Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:18:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Glinner: thread for backseat moderators and hand-wringing [split topic]

Started by QDRPHNC, June 20, 2020, 03:25:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buttgammon

Those threads have been genuinely informative for me, a cis person. I joined in to rubberneck but came out of them aware of things I never previously understood. We used to have long threads talking about women's appearances, sometimes crossing the line into outright creepiness and now we have long threads talking about trans rights; this is a good thing.

Buelligan

Bloody hell, I'm only going to give you a kiss now.  Lovely stuff.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Flouncer on September 16, 2021, 09:51:10 AM
Lisa JAMC there, making a bold bid to rival Glinner himself in the lack-of-self-awareness stakes.

An unnecessary ( and slightly dated) comment, there. It's nice to see you making comments in defence of free speech though, even if the comments what you is defending amount to " Graham Linehan smells ( probably)."

idunnosomename

Q: I say I say I say, how does Graham Linehan smell!?

A: excrement. human excrement.

JamesTC

QDRPHNC

I assume this is about my most recent post abut how Glinner looks like he smells. I'm sorry you didn't like it, Lisa, but I am happy to hear that the second part of the same post, about how Laurence Fox looks like he smells, met with your approval and was pretty much fine.

pigamus

Perhaps we should have a woman who smells for balance. I'm sure Julie Burchill reeks of fags.

Sonny_Jim

Quote from: buttgammon on September 16, 2021, 09:57:10 AM
I joined in to rubberneck but came out of them aware of things I never previously understood.
I found CaB because Adam Buxton named dropped it on one of his podcasts, inevitably got sucked into the GlinnerSaga and now I'm posting about the colours of international crisp packets.

Slippery slope, innit.

Icehaven

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on September 16, 2021, 12:33:21 PM
I found CaB because Adam Buxton named dropped it on one of his podcasts, inevitably got sucked into the GlinnerSaga and now I'm posting about the colours of international crisp packets.

Slippery slope, innit.

It's his fault I'm here too, many years ago he mentioned it in an interview in a weekend newspaper and I was intrigued. Which podcast episode was it?

Sonny_Jim

Ooh buggered if I know.  Maybe one near my join date?  But then I tended to listen to them out of order so I dunno.  Might listen to them all again actually, not got much else to do in lockdown.

QDRPHNC

Seeing this thread again made me go back to the first page of it, and a lot of good points are made. I can see that my most recent posts in the Glinner thread are pointless ("padding", as Lisa said), but I suppose I was trying to express my surprise at how the toll of his crusade can be seen on him physically.

Rereading the earlier few pages though did make me think about why I continue to keep up with the Glinner theads and, to a degree, the surrounding drama. In light of what's come out about Norm MacDonald, it occurred that if we want back 10 years when Graham was still known for writing sitcoms, and found out that he was a serial sex pest, or even a rapist or a nonce, there would have been a flurry of news and discussion, and by this point (to CaB I mean), his name would be an occasional lazy, edgy reference.

But it's something so different to that, it's such a unique situation. And it's a horrible situation, but it's also fascinating for valid reasons, because it's so completely singular. 

Maybe something similar could be the Chris-Chan saga, but I know for sure that CaB would never indulge in the schadenfreude of that for one second, and rightfully so. But it's fascinating for valid reasons too, even though the core of it is deeply tragic. But with Glinner we're freer to rubberneck and comment and poke fun because he has brought on all this himself and (and this is important) he's a bully. And for various reasons, I feel safe saying that most people who find themselves on CaB hate bullies, for the same reason we routinely criticize comics who punch down.

I have no conclusion, just my rambling thoughts / rationalizations. Sorry.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: pigamus on September 16, 2021, 12:14:22 PM
Perhaps we should have a woman who smells for balance. I'm sure Julie Burchill reeks of fags.

I'm sure someone on this or another forum said years ago that they'd worked with her and she smelled of sour milk.

Sonny_Jim

Quote from: QDRPHNC on September 16, 2021, 01:48:07 PM
I can see that my most recent posts in the Glinner thread are pointless ("padding", as Lisa said)
Sometimes the thread does need to churn for a bit before someone comes up with a comedy gem, sometimes it's just that Graham isn't doing anything interesting.  Because of that it sits at the top of Comedy Chat and I can see why it'd piss people off. 

Maybe something similar could be the Chris-Chan saga, but I know for sure that CaB would never indulge in the schadenfreude of that for one second
Yeah I've considered whether it's healthy or not to endlessly pick apart the minutiae of it, but gosh darn if he doesn't keep on doing crazy shit and it's nice to be able to make jokes that very few people in the world will find funny.

The whole 'it's ok because he is a bully' thing I get a bit conflicted with.  He does deserve it, especially done in a comedy way due to his origins.  Joking about his wife and kids leaving is a bit rum, but it never really gets any worse than that.

jobotic

Quote from: pigamus on September 16, 2021, 12:14:22 PM

Bet she doesn't even smoke.

JaDanketies

Quote from: jobotic on September 16, 2021, 02:04:31 PM
Bet she doesn't even smoke.

she must steal other people's coats

I would like to formally apologise to Ms Julie Birchill for claiming in the CookdandBombd forum that she steals people's quotes. This was a false statement and I retract it unequivocally. I will not be discussing this issue further.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on September 16, 2021, 02:03:31 PM
Yeah I've considered whether it's healthy or not to endlessly pick apart the minutiae of it, but gosh darn if he doesn't keep on doing crazy shit and it's nice to be able to make jokes that very few people in the world will find funny.

The whole 'it's ok because he is a bully' thing I get a bit conflicted with.  He does deserve it, especially done in a comedy way due to his origins.  Joking about his wife and kids leaving is a bit rum, but it never really gets any worse than that.

He's so gleefully mean and spiteful he deserves every bit of it, the hypocritical dish-out-but-can't-take-it bananas cunt.

madhair60

pigamus

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on September 16, 2021, 12:33:21 PM

Slippery slope, innit.

Could use some help in the international butter thread

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,89426.0.html

phes

Quote from: QDRPHNC on September 16, 2021, 01:48:07 PM
...it occurred that if we want back 10 years when Graham was still known for writing sitcoms, and found out that he was a serial sex pest, or even a rapist or a nonce, there would have been a flurry of news and discussion, and by this point (to CaB I mean), his name would be an occasional lazy, edgy reference.

But it's something so different to that, it's such a unique situation. And it's a horrible situation, but it's also fascinating for valid reasons, because it's so completely singular. 

I see it as very similar to what happened with Gervais use of mong, but Gervais and Linehan took very different roads to achieve redemption. Gervais finally apologized and used the 'I really didn't know' excuse. Then to protect his ego and prove that he was the bestest man all along he dredged up an old character and wrote an entire three series about disability that was completely fucking bananas. Lesson there for Linehan, if he'd just stopped after after 'I didn't intend it to come across that way, I'll be more careful' (paraphrasing) and then written a totally and utterly bananas comedy about a transwoman toilet attendant then we would all be in a much better place

Ferris

Gervais dropped it, so the thread died - nothing new or interesting to say. GB News is just churning out the same stuff and no one cares. Thread on life support (even though the channel is a going concern), because there's nothing new or interesting to say.

If Linehan stopped all this for 6 months the threads would stop after a fortnight and probably never return. It's the fact that he keeps escalating and doubling down which provides more content to comment upon and ridicule. I stop following them for weeks at a time but whenever I dip back in I find he's still going, and at an increasingly hectic pace (travelling to Cardiff and Edinburgh within a week or two to join fringe protests and yell at strangers). If he stopped, or allowed himself to fade into tedious obscurity the threads would disappear along with him.

As it is, I'm fine with threads being there. I don't know what the fix is for people who find them annoying - sticky them to the top like the labour/brexit threads in general bullshit maybe?

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on September 16, 2021, 06:08:10 PM
As it is, I'm fine with threads being there. I don't know what the fix is for people who find them annoying - sticky them to the top like the labour/brexit threads in general bullshit maybe?

surprised there isn't a hide thread feature on cab[nb]is there?[/nb]

Zetetic

I think the worst things about the Glinner threads is that the "it's fine to bully bullies" logic (which Linehan clings to as a justification himself) sometimes takes - I think - some posters in directions that degrades themselves and doesn't really do any good to anyone. Not generally, with respect to Linehan but about some of the damaged people with misdirected trauma.

But I think that's party of a wider problem of ceding the "radical feminism" ground to the worst people trying to hold that label and letting them continue to dominate public discussion of "trans issues" - it doesn't really matter if they're not "winning" "battles" in those discussions, if they're successfully distracting from things that actually matter to trans people (either as trans people or just people).

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Zetetic on September 16, 2021, 06:44:49 PM
I think the worst things about the Glinner threads is that the "it's fine to bully bullies" logic (which Linehan clings to as a justification himself) sometimes takes - I think - some posters in directions that degrades themselves and doesn't really do any good to anyone. Not generally, with respect to Linehan but about some of the damaged people with misdirected trauma.

I see what you're getting at, and I agree broadly I suppose. But a couple of things. I don't think the Glinner threads here are bullying - mocking certainly, but bullying connotes something more focused and intended to inflict pain. I also see how my previous post was ambiguous. I'm not saying that's it ok bully bullies, just that Glinner being a bully explains a lot of why so many of us here have such an interest in the threads dedicated to watching and commenting on his behaviour.

Kankurette

And people on here aren't harassing him and his family, or even people who vaguely know him, and getting him to humiliate himself on camera. Which is what happened to Chris-chan.

Janie Jones

Quote from: QDRPHNC on September 16, 2021, 06:54:35 PM
- mocking certainly, ...

I don't care about Glinner, he dishes it out so fuck him. What bothers me is when we mock him for his bad skin or stoop or wonky eyes or leg tremor or 'looking like he smells bad' (which I presume means he is over 50 and a bit disheveled). When you have one or more of those attributes, it's not nice seeing it mocked as part and parcel of an unpleasant hateful person who, by implication, deserves to be mocked for these afflictions.

When Madhair's wonderful thread summary was trending we thought we'd get a huge influx of new anti-transphobes. We didn't. Just some 'wow, those guys are funny and savage,' sort of comments on Twitter.  I know I'm in the minority and I'll be accused of whining and asking to see the manager (funny that) but I think the mocking of anyone's appearance diminishes us and makes the place look 'savage' and unwelcoming .

QDRPHNC

As someone who only yesterday made fun of him for looking like he smells bad, I think your point is a very good one and I will not do so any more.

chveik

Quote from: Janie Jones on September 16, 2021, 08:05:37 PM
When Madhair's wonderful thread summary was trending we thought we'd get a huge influx of new anti-transphobes. We didn't. Just some 'wow, those guys are funny and savage,' sort of comments on Twitter.  I know I'm in the minority and I'll be accused of whining and asking to see the manager (funny that) but I think the mocking of anyone's appearance diminishes us and makes the place look 'savage' and unwelcoming .

is possible but one other reason could be that they are twitter people (which is a pretty 'savage' platform in itself) and therefore have no interest in old school forums.

Ferris

Quote from: QDRPHNC on September 16, 2021, 06:54:35 PM
I see what you're getting at, and I agree broadly I suppose. But a couple of things. I don't think the Glinner threads here are bullying - mocking certainly, but bullying connotes something more focused and intended to inflict pain. I also see how my previous post was ambiguous. I'm not saying that's it ok bully bullies, just that Glinner being a bully explains a lot of why so many of us here have such an interest in the threads dedicated to watching and commenting on his behaviour.

Yes and to add - I think we (largely? Always?) keep to our own corner of the internet, and he keeps to his. If we were tweeting our withering put downs out to 600k twitter followers, then you could argue the intent of the thread content is to do harm. As it is, we're the online equivalent of two dozen people yucking it up in a beer garden. People could overhear us, but that isn't the intention of having the conversation.

Cf. publishing our thoughts on substack, charging a fee to read, and trying desperately to disseminate the stuff as far and wide as possible (like going on GB News or speaking in front of the HoL or interviews with friendly and credulous journalists from national newspapers). And that's before you get onto the nature of the criticism (its a lot more substantive on CaB than on a certain Substack), and the nature of the demographic being criticized (ie. we're not punching down at a vulnerable section of society).

As a whole, I don't think it is particularly out of order - there were a few comments in earlier threads that went too far or on an unpleasant tangent but weren't well received and the community largely self regulates. I don't contribute much and i go through phases of ignoring it, but I'm fine with it being on CaB and don't believe it is some kind of ethical Achilles' Heel.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Well, I've changed my mind about the whole thing, now. I reckon he stinks of shit.