Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:29:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stephen Graham on " The One Show" This Past Monday

Started by Lisa Jesusandmarychain, September 08, 2021, 08:51:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobloblaw

Quote from: mothman on September 10, 2021, 05:35:15 PM
I'd normally watch this show, it's so very much my kind of thing, but it has that Jodie Comer in it. I can't stand her. She is unattractive, can't act and has only one facial expression.

There are at least three things wrong with that sentence. Plus she gets to unleash her actual Scouse accent in this. Forget that Eve nonsense. She's brilliant in this.

chveik

they should've chosen another title, there's already a great tv show called Help

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: bobloblaw on September 10, 2021, 05:57:45 PM
There are at least three things wrong with that sentence. Plus she gets to unleash her actual Scouse accent in this. Forget that Eve nonsense. She's brilliant in this.

Yus, the only other occasions on which Her Who Plays Sarah The Care Worker in this used her natural lovely Liverpool accent was, firstly, on an episode of " Holby City" a few years ago; it would take a heart of stone for the viewer , upon bearing witness to this clip many years after its broadcast,not to say " Aw, look, It's little baby Villanelle! " ( a sort of Godzuki to Villanelle's Godzilla), and to remain uncharmed by her beguiling delivery of such lines as " been pukin' non- stop for the last couple o' weeks" in those mesmerising Merseysidian tones, and secondly, as a secretary in the 60s, speaking scousely of saucy sapphic seduction in the monologue " Bovril Pam" ( available on dailymotion, with Spanish subtitles).
She might have also used her own accent on that thing she did with Stephen Graham about 10 years ago too, dunno, not seen it.
I am not going to respond to Mr. mothman's comments, because, as all you LAFFs out there know, I am quite a dignified soul, and the sheer ludicrousness of his statement speaks for itself. Besides, I think he was just messing about.

Custard

I think she's great. Was easily the best thing in the dogshit Free Guy, even though it was a bit of a nothing role

mothman

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on September 11, 2021, 09:05:12 AM
I am not going to respond to Mr. mothman's comments, because, as all you LAFFs out there know, I am quite a dignified soul, and the sheer ludicrousness of his statement speaks for itself. Besides, I think he was just messing about.

Bollocks, rumbled. What was it gave me away? Was it the
Spoiler alert
"I'd normally watch this show, it's so very much my kind of thing"
[close]
? Because I wouldn't and it isn't.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on September 10, 2021, 04:01:24 PM
Yeah, I have a friend in America who has been trying the acting thing his whole life alongside working in bars, and the main section of his acting reel on imdb is his 5 second appearance as a SHIELD agent in Avengers End Game. From his and his friends/family's perspective it's an amazing achievement, but to actually have proper roles in films alongside De Niro, Pacino, Depp and getting on chat shows regularly is a whole other level. We tend to compare less successful actors to the biggest actors, rather than to the vast majority of actors who never make a living from it at all.

To most of the general public, the only way an actor is truly successful is if they're famous for appearing on screen. Not only that, they have to sustain a level of fame to the end of their TV/ film career otherwise they're a has been. Conversely, in the media, a relatively unknown actor only has to appear in a well known TV show/ film and it means they're 'a star'.

eg:- Harry Potter star in double murder investigation. (Translation: bit-part player who had a few lines in a couple of scenes with Warwick Davies in one of the movies has been arrested)

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

One more sleep before this top Scousers suffering from different forms of dementia airs, drama fans! Aren't you all excited?  A star- studded list of Scousers it surely is, with not only Stephen Graham, but Ian Hart ( who may be playing someone who believes himself to be John Lennon due to the  ol' dementia),  Andrew Schofield ( that feller who played Scully the cheeky Scouse schoolboy on the telly, even when he was, like, 30 years old or something), and, on the Scouse female front we have yer actual Cathy Tyson! Not seen her in anything for a while!
90 minutes of smashing Scouse accents on the screen in a care home- set drama about our old friend,that cheeky little  Corvid! I, for one, am looking forward to hearing  the way , for example, the word " mask" is said all Merseyside- like, with the speaker practically spitting in your face as they throat- clearingly make that " k" sound! I trust all you lovers of Scousedrama will be tuning in!

Alberon

I don't think I'll be watching that one.

Not unless there's a Scouse Derke in there as well.

buzby

Quote from: bobloblaw on September 10, 2021, 03:09:44 PM
plus Sue Johnston, Cathy Tyson and Andrew Schofield.

It's one Ricky Tomlinson away from a Scouse bingo full house.
She's from Warrington and grew up in Prescot, and as far as I can remember has never attempted to do a scouse accent onscreen.

Andrew Schofield is another Kirkby lad (or 'lid', as the North Face Ninjas round there say these days). He's one of Willy Russell, Alan Bleasdale and Jimmy McGovern's (another Kirkby lad) regular actors.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Today's the day! Quality acting! The cream of Kirkby conveying Covid crisis calamity! Scouse accents! early onset Alzheimer's! Sue Johnston doing her Sue Johnston voice! It's all on the box on Channel 4 tonight at 9:00pm! All the boys and girls of CaB who are also siscerning drama fans are going to be glued to ther screens tonight, of course!

neveragain

It's high quality stuff but as gruelling as you'd expect.

Custard

Well, the first 90 minutes were good. The last half hour completely shit the bed

Great acting though from Killing Eve and Combo

the science eel

Quote from: Shameless Custard on September 16, 2021, 11:01:41 PM
Well, the first 90 minutes were good. The last half hour completely shit the bed

Great acting though from Killing Eve and Combo

Agree completely.

Hate all that Ken Loach shit, no matter how 'righteous' it may be.

the science eel

Quote from: buzby on September 15, 2021, 10:00:22 AM
She's from Warrington and grew up in Prescot, and as far as I can remember has never attempted to do a scouse accent onscreen.

Andrew Schofield is another Kirkby lad (or 'lid', as the North Face Ninjas round there say these days). He's one of Willy Russell, Alan Bleasdale and Jimmy McGovern's (another Kirkby lad) regular actors.

Scully!

neveragain

I was initially unsure about the last quarter, but the reveal of what she was actually doing worked well (for me).

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: neveragain on September 16, 2021, 11:24:42 PM
I was initially unsure about the last quarter, but the reveal of what she was actually doing worked well (for me).

Spoiler alert
I winced when they initially made their escape, it felt so at odds with the realistic tone of the first 90 minutes. But, like you, I changed my mind when her motives became clear. And I don't care how on-the-nose Comer's final speech was; righteously furious anti-Tory polemics are just so rare on TV these days.

Yes, you could argue that Jack Thorne didn't need to spell out his point like that, but I felt he'd earned the right to spew out a big FUCK YOU at the end.
[close]

chveik

i am pained to inform you that Lisa has died from wank exhaustion

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I wish this thread didn't have such a stupid title.

chveik

it's a disgrace really, titillation over such a harrowing tale

JesusAndYourBush

It was a good bit of acting from the 2 main characters.
There was no titillation for me though, not without that Russian accent.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on September 17, 2021, 01:41:18 AM
I wish this thread didn't have such a stupid title.

Not *that* stupid a title, pretty factual and prosaic, really. At least I didn't call it something like " Her Who Plays Villanelle In " PHWOOAR!"vid  Drama", that would have been pretty glib and irritating, I'll give you that.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

And I've not chimed in with " She can confine me to a caravan with her for a fortnight any time she likes." This, too, would have undermined the powerful drama what " Help" is.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: the science eel on September 17, 2021, 06:50:34 AM
she so dreamy

You'll notice she's playing a 20 year old in this, too. 28 years old, she is and then she gets off the bus.When she played Ivy Moxham in top load of bollocks drama series" Thirteen" , not only did she use that Posho Southern English accent she likes doing ( you can tell), but she was 23 playing a 26 year old; she seems quite adept at playing people older than herself, or at least fairly wordlywise types.Here she plays a callow youth who's had a fairly aimless and irresponsible life before taking this job in a care home, demonstrating her top range and versatility.
And yes, she *is* quite dreamy, I suppose. Even in a bin bag tabard.

Custard

I love a bit of Tory bashing as much as the next man, but I just feel it went a bit too silly, with her basically kidnapping him and going to live in a caravan etc

I work in care/support, and I don't really wanna knock the show as I feel it highlighted some major issues that really did take place at the time, and are still ongoing, and people absolutely should be held accountable for that

But when she took him off I just kept thinking how in reality that would really disrupt his routine and potentially aggravate him further. People with dementia, altseimers and similar need routine, and familiarity. She disrupted all that without even asking him. I dunno, something about that just didn't ring true or sit right with me. She's forcing something on the poor man as much as the baldy manager is meant to be (the sedatives)

He tries to leave, and she brings him back. And yeah, you could say he was doing that in the care home too, but least there he had a team of (apparent) professionals trying to do right by him.

The sedation effects seemed a bit OTT, as in reality it's highly unlikely it'd turn him into a complete zombie who just sits there drooling and lifeless, unless they were proper illegally dosing him up. A standard sedative would just slow the person down a bit. Not saying it's right, but sedatives exist to ease the worry and upset for the person, not make him/her a zombie who can no longer move or function.

From what I know in my job to sedate a resident you legally have to go through a doctor or hospital. Therefore a medical professional had evaluated the situation, and then decided what is in that person's best interests. It simply doesn't happen in 2021 that there's a big bad manager who simply decides to drug residents on a whim and for an easier life. It absolutely used to happen, not so much these days, and certainly not legally

I liked it as a drama, and felt its heart was in the right place, but the reality isn't quite that brutal, and her pulling him from his routine and comfort to basically play cards on a hill and eat one slice of mouldy bread each day just rubbed me up the wrong way a bit

buzby

I can't recall if this was mentinoed earlier in the thread, but Graham and Comer were exec producers on this. They share the same agent too - Graham 'spotted' Comer while acting opposite her in Good Cop, and put her in touch with his agent, who signed her up.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I wanted to see his cock when he went in the shower, but we only got to see his arse.

jobotic

I wanted to see his cock when he went in the shower, but I haven't got a stitch to wear

Might watch this one day. Sounds like the sort of thing they won't be able to make soon.