Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:15:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stephen Graham on " The One Show" This Past Monday

Started by Lisa Jesusandmarychain, September 08, 2021, 08:51:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on September 17, 2021, 11:50:54 AM
I wanted to see his cock when he went in the shower, but we only got to see his arse.

I think we would all be grateful if you didn't sully this perfectly decent thread with these kind of comments, thank you.

New Page, Like.

ProvanFan

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Not bad actually. Quite firm and pert for a man in his late 40's.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

STOP TALKING ABOUT STEPHEN GRAHAM'S ARSE ON THIS THREAD! I'LL GIVE YOU " STEPHEN ABRAHAM'S ARSE" !

neveragain

Quote from: Shameless Custard on September 17, 2021, 09:21:21 AM
I love a bit of Tory bashing as much as the next man, but I just feel it went a bit too silly, with her basically kidnapping him and going to live in a caravan etc

I work in care/support, and I don't really wanna knock the show as I feel it highlighted some major issues that really did take place at the time, and are still ongoing, and people absolutely should be held accountable for that

But when she took him off I just kept thinking how in reality that would really disrupt his routine and potentially aggravate him further. People with dementia, altseimers and similar need routine, and familiarity. She disrupted all that without even asking him. I dunno, something about that just didn't ring true or sit right with me. She's forcing something on the poor man as much as the baldy manager is meant to be (the sedatives)

He tries to leave, and she brings him back. And yeah, you could say he was doing that in the care home too, but least there he had a team of (apparent) professionals trying to do right by him.

The sedation effects seemed a bit OTT, as in reality it's highly unlikely it'd turn him into a complete zombie who just sits there drooling and lifeless, unless they were proper illegally dosing him up. A standard sedative would just slow the person down a bit. Not saying it's right, but sedatives exist to ease the worry and upset for the person, not make him/her a zombie who can no longer move or function.

From what I know in my job to sedate a resident you legally have to go through a doctor or hospital. Therefore a medical professional had evaluated the situation, and then decided what is in that person's best interests. It simply doesn't happen in 2021 that there's a big bad manager who simply decides to drug residents on a whim and for an easier life. It absolutely used to happen, not so much these days, and certainly not legally

I liked it as a drama, and felt its heart was in the right place, but the reality isn't quite that brutal, and her pulling him from his routine and comfort to basically play cards on a hill and eat one slice of mouldy bread each day just rubbed me up the wrong way a bit

In defence of the character of Sarah, she was really at the end of her tether. In writing terms too, it was an illustration of what these circumstances could compel somebody to do. Also, we'd had all the harrowing real-life stuff by that point, there's got to be a bit of character development (or a moment where the plot is defined by the protagonist's actions, rather than having her just sit and cry.)

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I liked the bit at the start when Comer got mascara on her face.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on September 17, 2021, 04:34:37 PM
STOP TALKING ABOUT STEPHEN GRAHAM'S ARSE ON THIS THREAD! I'LL GIVE YOU " STEPHEN GRAHAM'S ARSE" !

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

^ Ignore.I was trying to modify the above erroneous post.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I really hope this isn't going to be the note that this thread ends on.

non capisco

Steeled myself to watch this after all and I'm very glad I did, Comer was excellent. I share people's reservations about the events of the last half hour, totally didn't mind the on-the-nose rant at the end though. It feels all the time like the entire media is right leaning and perpetuating the government's malign bullshit on a minute by minute basis so having a mainstream drama end on that note by telling its audience through a proxy character what the cunts are doing and why they're doing it isn't something I feel like being disparaging about. I found its sledgehammer lack of subtlety refreshing and its anger genuine and justified.

jsgibble

Quote from: non capisco on September 19, 2021, 09:38:54 PMI share people's reservations about the events of the last half hour, totally didn't mind the on-the-nose rant at the end though.

The first hour or so was great. Some sharp writing, and while I'm not always a fan of soft focus I thought the look of it was effective here.

The drugging / caravan thing let it down, it reminded me of I, Daniel Blake in giving up a bit on the social realism of it near the end.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: non capisco on September 19, 2021, 09:38:54 PM
Steeled myself to watch this after all and I'm very glad I did, Comer was excellent. I share people's reservations about the events of the last half hour, totally didn't mind the on-the-nose rant at the end though. It feels all the time like the entire media is right leaning and perpetuating the government's malign bullshit on a minute by minute basis so having a mainstream drama end on that note by telling its audience through a proxy character what the cunts are doing and why they're doing it isn't something I feel like being disparaging about. I found its sledgehammer lack of subtlety refreshing and its anger genuine and justified.

My thoughts entirely. Did the Mail and Express review it? I won't click on their sites to find out, obviously. Just wondering.

It was such a blatant, furious, unabashed tirade against Tory cuntery, so much so that I felt quite proud of Channel 4 for airing it.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I really like how this thread has brought together all the elements what make CaB great; from intelligent, incisive writing in appreciation of what sounds like a high quality bit of drama ( until it goes a bit daft in the third act) ( from, for example, non capisco and Ballad of Ballad Berkley) to daffy, irreverent humour ( Elderly Sumo Prophecy), with a bit of sad middle aged men very publically having a mid- life crisis by pointing out that attractive actress much younger than them is attractive ( some cunt or other).
A very worthwhile thread, I think we can all agree on that.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

EOLAN

Quite harrowing and bleak. Felt it did need that fantasy escapism after the dealing with death. Also contrasting Sarah who was being portrayed and set up as the Villain to the outside world against the ongoing news and political speeches about how everything was being done by the government was I think a good comparison to be made.

I felt a bit more unrealistic or over the top about the bald owners return to the facility. The way he suddenly seemed to take a dictatorial control of the place felt a jump the shark moment in itself but did set up the final Act nicely.