Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:13:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

General weight loss thread

Started by bgmnts, August 29, 2021, 01:08:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingcloth

I think we are probably coming from the same place, and a low calorie diet that's maintainable in the long term is probably also going to be a low GI one and vice versa. Most practical long term diet advice probably amounts to what I'm saying, eg Weight Watchers switching from a calorie counting model to a "points" one where certain foods are 0 points.

Retinend

Quote from: popcorn on September 18, 2021, 11:44:42 PMWhat Worked For Me was upping the amount of exercise I do and lowering the calories I consume, over the long term. That's it. I count the calories I take in by scanning barcodes and looking up estimates online - I know this is only a rough estimate but that's fine. I count the calories I burn with my fitness tracker - I know this is only a rough estimate but that's fine.

Just weighing in to say I agree with you and your side of the respectful disagreement... including that people aren't really suggesting an alternative to the calories-in-calories-out model: the very objections they raise, about certain foods being  ​differently affected by individual metabolic factors, should themselves be expressable in terms of calories - in terms of handicaps or discounts to an overweight individual's calorie "budget" depending on the food group and proportions consumed vs other food groups. I'd bet that these handicaps or discounts, if ever precisely investigated, would be small, however, because people have experimented on themselves a lot with the calorie-counting model, and it doesn't really matter which kind of diet you choose - going over the threshold of 2000 calories, you're guaranteed to lose progress. Speaking from experience.

Cloud

Going to get back on this myself.  Always was the plan from today, but one of the guys at work chimed in with a well timed (but inappropriate and very unwelcome) "wow you're putting a lot of pounds on, absolutely PILING them on, what's up too many pies?". Yeah cheers mate, really helps with emotionally induced weight gain to be slagged off for my appearance by a colleague I have no personal connection with.

Anyway

Cals in/out always worked the best for me.  That and being held accountable, which is where I'm on the hunt for "weekly weigh in" type threads.  Used to go to WW and it always worked for me to have "someone to please".  I mean, really they're just doing their jobs but I react well to "ooh 2 off this week well done!" back-pats or "oops a little on this week but I'm sure you'll get back on track" encouragement.  But that all went to shit with the pandemic, as did my emotional, mental and physical health.  Time to get it back on track.

TrenterPercenter

For thoose looking to loss weight my advice would be no fads or anything like that just reduce your calorie intake between 1/3 and 1/4 and not anymore (so we are talking 500 cals max).  If you can supplement that with some exercise then you'll be well on your way.  Trying to cut too many calories out and eating boring meals all the time is recipe for failure. 

Calories are not all equal; and as TC points out they different and there is some variation in digestion; fats and protein will keep you fuller; carbs will burn off quicker but will spike you insulin making you more hungry.  Hunger is controlled mainly by insulin when you have little insulin in your body you are less hungry (insulin is created to digest sugars[nb]don't shoot me endocrinologists[/nb]; lots of sugar causes dysfunctions around hunger, with you producing excess insulin and feeling more hungry - its complicated and I'm by no means an expert here but the main point is to remember hunger is caused by hormones (so think about how a messed up biologically the impact of not eating has on this system over long periods and you can see how anorexia is the MH condition with the highest mortality; it's not that someones decided not to eat; their body has learnt not to - I'm talk about very severe cases here which are thankfully reasonably rare).

Usually for most people rather than what they eat it is more about portion control; so simple things like taking a couple of spoon fulls of carbs off your plate and putting some greens on is a good technique.  Getting rid of all carbs, just like getting rid of all fat is silly; you need all of these things we've evolved to digest and use different calorie types for different purposes.  Finding healthy foods you enjoy; not just eat because they are low calorie, is they way to go imo why eat a bland piece of ryvita and then end up scraaning a load of other food later because you are so hungry.  Might as well eat things that will fill you up (stuff that is high protein low GI).

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Cloud on September 20, 2021, 03:03:39 PM
Going to get back on this myself.  Always was the plan from today, but one of the guys at work chimed in with a well timed (but inappropriate and very unwelcome) "wow you're putting a lot of pounds on, absolutely PILING them on, what's up too many pies?". Yeah cheers mate, really helps with emotionally induced weight gain to be slagged off for my appearance by a colleague I have no personal connection with.

Anyway

Cals in/out always worked the best for me.  That and being held accountable, which is where I'm on the hunt for "weekly weigh in" type threads.  Used to go to WW and it always worked for me to have "someone to please".  I mean, really they're just doing their jobs but I react well to "ooh 2 off this week well done!" back-pats or "oops a little on this week but I'm sure you'll get back on track" encouragement.  But that all went to shit with the pandemic, as did my emotional, mental and physical health.  Time to get it back on track.

Check out the soup thread my man!

Also tell your work colleague to get ta fuck from me.  Cheers.

bgmnts

Decided to come off the sertraline because I think it has been causing the mega heartburn and reflux so i'm hoping I might finally shift some pounds if I dont slit my wrists first like.

Magnum Valentino

Popcorn are you still with the personal trainer?

TrenterPercenter

The person I know that had the most impressive and healthy weightloss overtime was a woman at work that just moved to a Mediterranean diet and mild portion control which you'll find stuff about all over the internet.  Not really a diet as such just a healthy way of eating some info here https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/why-are-mediterranean-diets-so-healthy

popcorn

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on September 20, 2021, 03:28:20 PM
Popcorn are you still with the personal trainer?

I sure am. Just one hour a week of gruelling misery.

On top of that I do a lot of walking and a few hours of cardio in the gym each week.

The personal trainer sessions are worth it for me because they get me out of my comfort zone and get me doing exercises and using apparatus I'd otherwise never dare approach. All the other exercise I do is pretty vanilla and nowhere near as intense.

I also don't think I'd have kept up with the personal training if I didn't have a fitness tracker. It's gratifying seeing the stats improve. That and weighing myself every day has made me a firm believer in the need to measure things and track your progress.

I'm still a bit overweight and have a long way to go before I'm any sort of shining muscle man, but I'm in no rush.

Cloud

Went from 16 stone down to 11 and a bit back in 2014 in something like 6 months, was well chuffed.  That was using WW for the motivation, accountability and some ideas but ignoring their advice to "use up all your points" as I worked out that broadly speaking 1 point = 40 calories and they gave me a budget that would barely have me losing if at all.  Their system at the time (since tweaked to be more pro-protein) was basically calorie counting except for fruit and veg.  Because "hands up if you're here because you ate too much fruit and veg" as they put it, and it encourages healthy snacking if you 'need' to snack.  I'll probably end up doing the same just with calories.

Gutted that I've undone most of that since.  I just gradually trickled upwards as I started enjoying more beers, more nights out etc, and then it rocketed up when lockdown came and a sort of "comfort/emotion" eating took over.

Portion control is indeed very important.  You have to weigh stuff or you just don't know.  The first big revelation I had on that was breakfast cereal - weigh out an actual portion of that (usually 30g) and it's striking how you get an extremely shallow layer in the bottom of a bowl.  Before weighing I must have had getting on for thousand calorie breakfasts in the habit of just filling the bowl up.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Retinend on September 20, 2021, 02:07:27 PM
Just weighing in to say I agree with you and your side of the respectful disagreement...

I would like to apologise sincerely for anything I may have done that has led people to think that I have respect for popcorn.

purlieu

For the longest time I was ludicrously skinny - 119 pounds when I started university at the age of 20 - and although I generally put on a little weight through alcohol and slowing metabolism, I stayed pretty skinny (maybe a slightly podgy belly) right up to the age of 30, when my metabolism just gave up and the pounds started piling on. At the start of this year I weighed 204 pounds, while retaining a fairly skinny frame - basically my old self with a beer belly, seven chins and hints of jowls appearing. As someone who's so used to being skinny, it actually made me feel really horrible, even though I was really not dramatically overweight, certainly by British standards. But I knew that if I carried on that way, I would end up being properly fat, and that was a grim thought, so I've spent the year fucking about with different ways of doing things.

I bought an exercise bike, stupidly thinking I could just burn everything off by cycling 50km every day. Learned that that's basically enough to actually keep my weight stable. Then I decided to cut my intake back right back so I was basically eating one meal a day. The combination of this and the cycling enabled me to lose quite a bit of weight, but made me very unhappy and, over time, I began to actually feel ill because I wasn't getting enough nutrition. And inevitably I started eating crap again and put a stone back on.

It's only in the past month that I've managed to sort myself out. Diet-wise, I'm back to three meals a day, just keeping them small enough to be satisfying without being particularly full. I've cut back on processed food, lowered my carb intake, upped the percentage of my plate given to vegetables. I'm trying to have my big meal in the middle of the day rather than the evening. I'm walking more, and timing my exercise to follow about an hour after food, so I have the energy to burn some of it off, rather than the post-exercise deficit being filled by a meal. A 90 minute walk with my dog in the afternoon, and a half hour walk or cycle in the evening. I've already found that having wholesome and healthy satisfying meals has cut back my craving for junk food (and the longer I go without it, the less I want it in general, of course). Not much snacking, but if I do get peckish in the evening, or with a beer, I have a jar with one of those snack mixes in - peanuts, habas fritas, chickpeas and whatnot - and I have a couple of handfuls of that.

I weigh myself each day, post-morning shit, just dressed in my boxers. Some days I don't seem to have lost much, occasionally I've put on the odd pound, but the general downward trend has been really positive. On Saturday morning I hit 181 pounds - my first time under 13 stone in about three years. And the good thing about it is I'm comfortable and happy with the diet and exercise so I don't resent having to do any of it. I feel more confident, and know that I'll be able to continue it long-term and hopefully balance out at a weight and size I'm totally happy with within the next year hopefully.

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: popcorn on September 20, 2021, 03:37:40 PM
I sure am. Just one hour a week of gruelling misery.

On top of that I do a lot of walking and a few hours of cardio in the gym each week.

The personal trainer sessions are worth it for me because they get me out of my comfort zone and get me doing exercises and using apparatus I'd otherwise never dare approach. All the other exercise I do is pretty vanilla and nowhere near as intense.

I also don't think I'd have kept up with the personal training if I didn't have a fitness tracker. It's gratifying seeing the stats improve. That and weighing myself every day has made me a firm believer in the need to measure things and track your progress.

I'm still a bit overweight and have a long way to go before I'm any sort of shining muscle man, but I'm in no rush.

I mind you saying you did a workout that left you unable to use stairs - have you done something similar since with less severe results?

Also, out of curiosity (I've been using a trainer a wee while), so you remember what that routine actually was?

popcorn

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on September 20, 2021, 07:04:39 PM
I mind you saying you did a workout that left you unable to use stairs - have you done something similar since with less severe results?

Also, out of curiosity (I've been using a trainer a wee while), so you remember what that routine actually was?

I was indeed semi-crippled for some time after my first session with the trainer. Every part of my body hurt and even the act of sitting down became a gruelling ordeal.

That was because I was very out of shape and I'd just done the most exercise I'd ever done in a single hour of my life, and used muscles I didn't know I had.

I'm happy to report that future sessions were much easier to recover from. Your body quickly gets used to it. I still occasionally get sore legs and staircases become a bit of an obstacle but it's nothing as bad as that first session was.

The trainer puts me through a few ordeals each week, but if I'd had to guess the main exercise that did me in was probably the lifty-squatty exercises, this sort of thing:

I still get sore after doing these sometimes.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

I like that (before I fucked things up by posting in this thread) the two threads below this one are "Fish Finger Sandwich" and "Crisps".

Dex Sawash

Quote from: popcorn on September 20, 2021, 07:50:05 PM
I

I still get sore after doing these sometimes.

That's not where you are meant to put the goblet

popcorn

Retinend

it's like two completely different people, honestly

Magnum Valentino

Ye're flying low hi. The barn door's opened. Etc.

popcorn

Cloud

Good work

I've flatlined over the past couple of weeks, but considering it's involved a meal out, a beer festival, a greasy kebab and some misery-snacking, I count myself lucky it's a flatline and not an increase. Onwards and downwards...