Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:20:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Workshy

Started by bgmnts, September 07, 2021, 02:38:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

itsfredtitmus

always a bit uncomfortable that money is counted in numerics it should be something else something less tangible and ego driven something which you want as a mate

itsfredtitmus

give money users a disincentive to spend let it rot a hole in their pocket let it burn let the money fester

itsfredtitmus

the world would be a lot better if paper money didn't ask and it was instead all coin based

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on September 09, 2021, 10:32:55 PM
the world would be a lot better if paper money didn't ask and it was instead all coin based

it'd avoid the less severe 'trolley problem' this modern technical world has.

Goldentony

you'd have to give the drugs man loads of coins

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Goldentony on September 09, 2021, 10:42:47 PM
you'd have to give the drugs man loads of coins

many people give him fraction of coins these days, then they arrive through mail

itsfredtitmus

BIN OFF ALL HARD CURRENCY UNDER 50p it will literally sort itself out i am convinced you can trust me on this one

Video Game Fan 2000

You need a coin that divides all other coins by half when you pay with it and one that increases by order of ten

Video Game Fan 2000

If it costs a £2.50 and you only have £5 pay with five £1 and a halving coin and write off to Whitehall to get refunded the £2.50 at the end of the year

itsfredtitmus

neil explicitly stated no commoncore when he made this discussion site of comedy

Video Game Fan 2000

If you want a house and you're broke, only a hundred quid in the bank, you could pay with a hundred £1 coins and three order of magnitude coins

Difference comes straight off the national debt and you pay the country back when you're on your feet

Video Game Fan 2000

The Dog

I always thought it would be good if money was intensely radioactive although I'm not really sure why.

Video Game Fan 2000

The law should be that at the end of the year everyone should get all their money in a physical pile and the rule is you have to hurt yourself as badly as possible using the total heap.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on September 09, 2021, 11:21:18 PM
neil explicitly stated no commoncore when he made this discussion site of comedy

thankfully Aaron Funk and Aaron Spectre clearly had trust funds at some point.

The Dog

Quote from: The Dog on September 10, 2021, 12:45:48 AM
I always thought it would be good if money was intensely radioactive although I'm not really sure why.

Oh, yeah, just remembered it was that fruit machine nerd and his dumb coins.

Vinnie01

I'd rather do work from home than being around others particularly what I noticed recently that contributes to my illness that I been dealing with almost all year. It certainly plays havoc on Scrupulosity particularly with some assholes in the work places.

My last job I would say I work too hard but I don't like not working either. I have been placed on various courses to improve the job related skills and hope to get in to something better even if it working from home.
I think the last job I worked in it too long, it is now time to change it as result of the effects of the lock downs.

Retinend

I'm just catching up with this thread, and am thoroughly enjoying all the posts. I think it's an interesting topic.

For a long time growing up, I thought there was nothing wrong with being unemployed for life. The world of work scared me. It seemed like everything I enjoyed was more within my own mind, than the material world (e.g. second hand book stores, playing my old guitar, torrenting, torrenting, torrenting) - and therefore I could get by, monk-like, on no money, for a lifetime. My favourite piece of literature was Kafka's "A Starving Artist". In it, a man pretends to be starving in order to make money from an audience, but in fact, the audience is an impediment to the man's will to seek higher consciousness through starvation. Another favourite was, and remains, Hermann Hesse's "Siddhartha", which demonstrates in parable how acquiring wealth is a mere distraction, knowledge of religion is no better, and that even the acquisition of "wisdom" itself was a distraction from what is really real: whatever part which is left over.

As I finished university life, a lifestyle I took to like a duck to water, I almost had a crisis, realizing that what I had always imagined for myself was becoming a reality: I was finally officially "unemployed", rather than merely "in education". But I didn't relish it. My ego was bothered about what people thought of me. My ego didn't let me do nothing, though my id was, and remains, a workshy, malingering cunt who - when left to its own devices - would work only to reach the desert island where it would be left alone, with a few choice possessions. In the end, I care about appearing to work hard - I care about what others think. The advantage of this is that my internalized "opinion of society", the super-ego, drives me to curb my malingering, withdrawn, introverted self just enough to hold down a job and build good will in others. The secret is that I'm actually still myself, inside, getting away with it all, and benefiting from the sacrifices of the ego, and only contributing distraction, impulsiveness, or apathy. I say this with a lot of satisfaction, knowing that I should never have rightly made it to 30 years old with this kind of attitude.

tldr: a self-indulgent boy grows up, almost

Vinnie01

Quote from: Retinend on September 21, 2021, 08:24:56 AM
I'm just catching up with this thread, and am thoroughly enjoying all the posts. I think it's an interesting topic.

For a long time growing up, I thought there was nothing wrong with being unemployed for life. The world of work scared me. It seemed like everything I enjoyed was more within my own mind, than the material world (e.g. second hand book stores, playing my old guitar, torrenting, torrenting, torrenting) - and therefore I could get by, monk-like, on no money, for a lifetime. My favourite piece of literature was Kafka's "A Starving Artist". In it, a man pretends to be starving in order to make money from an audience, but in fact, the audience is an impediment to the man's will to seek higher consciousness through starvation. Another favourite was, and remains, Hermann Hesse's "Siddhartha", which demonstrates in parable how acquiring wealth is a mere distraction, knowledge of religion is no better, and that even the acquisition of "wisdom" itself was a distraction from what is really real: whatever part which is left over.

As I finished university life, a lifestyle I took to like a duck to water, I almost had a crisis, realizing that what I had always imagined for myself was becoming a reality: I was finally officially "unemployed", rather than merely "in education". But I didn't relish it. My ego was bothered about what people thought of me. My ego didn't let me do nothing, though my id was, and remains, a workshy, malingering cunt who - when left to its own devices - would work only to reach the desert island where it would be left alone, with a few choice possessions. In the end, I care about appearing to work hard - I care about what others think. The advantage of this is that my internalized "opinion of society", the super-ego, drives me to curb my malingering, withdrawn, introverted self just enough to hold down a job and build good will in others. The secret is that I'm actually still myself, inside, getting away with it all, and benefiting from the sacrifices of the ego, and only contributing distraction, impulsiveness, or apathy. I say this with a lot of satisfaction, knowing that I should never have rightly made it to 30 years old with this kind of attitude.

tldr: a self-indulgent boy grows up, almost

I can hold a job down providing one of my OCDs don't get the better of me. At work I tend to be very introverted and will ignore everything that goes on around me. I worked in 1 place for 10 years before.

Some people in work places are simply assholes, that will trigger one of the OCDs that I deal with towards that asshole which leads to more stress.

Many people say I work too hard. I do deal with apathy on some of work environment which will result in disengagement.

I don't think being a lifeguard will be good to one of the OCDs either, particularly if that person drowing is an asshole.

Retinend

Quote from: Mobbd on September 08, 2021, 03:52:44 PMFolks, I know quite a lot about UBI. Not everything (it's an emerging field) but quite a lot. I am willing to answer questions if people are really interested. I can be a little slow to respond though, so bear with me if you do.

Taking you up on this, I have a question: what empirical evidence is there out there on UBI's effects on behaviour once implemented?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Retinend on September 21, 2021, 09:13:09 AM
Taking you up on this, I have a question: what empirical evidence is there out there on UBI's effects on behaviour once implemented?

If I may interject, the various pilots that have been undertaken have all been under different conditions, so both the decisions regarding policy implementation and the wider economic conditions of the country or region at the time of the trial.

I am mentioning this because I think it would be useful to not expect or demand too much in terms of definite conclusions on that score.

The pilot in Canada for example led to an increase in separations, largely due, it was concluded from feedback, to women being empowered by their new found financial independence. This discovery was used by the right wing to claim UBI destroys the family unit, while left wingers thought this was magnificent as women, and often children were no longer trapped in unhealthy relationships.

The trials have all had different budgets, lasted for different lengths of time and also never existed in a vacuum, and so have been subject to external push pull factors which wouldn't be the case if the policy was rolled out nationwide.

Vinnie01

There are some works I can't do due to medical conditions such as some in the engineering fields which requires a health check. I.e Railway maintenance jobs I would certainly fail on but I was warned about from a friend who used to do this and warned me about how some of the colleagues treat you and said to me that I probley most likely will hit the supervisor.

Nearly went on to a course for this job.

I don't know much about UBI.

Retinend

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on September 21, 2021, 09:34:54 AM
If I may interject, the various pilots that have been undertaken have all been under different conditions, so both the decisions regarding policy implementation and the wider economic conditions of the country or region at the time of the trial.

I am mentioning this because I think it would be useful to not expect or demand too much in terms of definite conclusions on that score.

I shall manage my expectations. Still, I would like to hear more detail about the pilots that have been done, being too lazy to look it up and digest the info for myself.