Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:54:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who Series 13: Goodbye, Mr. Chibs

Started by Norton Canes, August 10, 2021, 01:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cloud

Quote from: Replies From View on September 02, 2021, 09:55:29 PM
Yeah a shit Master would have been good

I think you're onto something there!  Imagine the Master has a comically useless incarnation. Sort of like the one in "The curse of the fatal death"

That would genuinely be a good way to shake things up.

daf

The closest to that is probably Mark of the Rani - where he starts off standing in a field dressed as a scarecrow for a bit for no reason (the Doctor turning up is a coincidence!), and ends up getting kneed in the bollocks by the Rani!

purlieu

Yes, Ainley's Master is a bit of a pillock throughout most of his run, really. Post-Castrovalva he should have only been in Planet of Fire and Survival, he would have been great then.

JamesTC

The Five Doctors and The Trial of a Time Lord are worthy appearances too, I'd argue.

Trial inverts it in a fun way by having his sudden appearance be to the Doctor's benefit for once.

purlieu

I suppose my issue with him in Trial is that I'm just bloody bored of him by that point, even with the subversion of him being a (relatively) helpful character (for a while), I still sighed when he popped up first time I watched it because of course he's going to be there. Even if he's played broader than Delgado's version, I still want him to have a menacing presence, and he just isn't that in Time-Flight, The King's Demons, Mark of the Rani or Trial. I can let The Five Doctors off because it's an anniversary special. His appearance in Survival is partially great because it comes so out of the blue, but imagine if we'd only seen him once or twice in the previous seven years.

Replies From View

Oh yeah - I hadn't noticed that the black suit used for that Colin Baker costume was the Master in Planet of Fire.  Just assumed it was some guy who helped with the DVD extras.

My main issue with Ainley's Master - beyond the excessive hamminess - is the fact that he contributes to the feeling of 1980s Doctor Who being truncated.  The final four seasons are half-length, and Ainley's Master spanning from Tom Baker to Sylvester McCoy heightens the sense that we're racing through those Doctors in a short time.  Keeping him to Davison only, the way that Delgado was limited to Pertwee (albeit due to tragic circumstances that meant he couldn't have returned even if later producers had wanted him to), would have been a better approach.

By contrast, compare how much distance is covered between 2005 and 2014.  Only 8 series, but so many different configurations of companions and threats helps that era to feel huge.

Midas

BritishHobo

Quote from: BritishHobo on August 15, 2021, 11:16:56 PM
They've officially finished filming, I believe. Not sure if that includes the three specials, or if it's just the series. I hope it's the latter - with these rumours about production potentially leaving Cardiff, I'll be gutted if I've forever missed the opportunity to see them filming. I never got to visit the Doctor Who Experience, give me this at least.

If anybody wants the perfect topper to this post, Doctor Who was filming today, I've just learned from Twitter; confirmed by John Bishop to be the final day of shooting. They were filming in the park literally (literally literally) across the road from my house. I walked past the park today to go to the dentist, while they were filming. In fact my dentist faces the park. When you leave the dentist, you are literally literally looking at the park. It's directly across the road. There is nothing in the way to block the view. I couldn't have been better positioned to look at the park if God had engineered it. So naturally I exited the dentists, looking at the pavement, and WENT STRAIGHT FUCKING HOME

daf

Quote from: Midas on September 20, 2021, 09:44:22 PM
what am i looking at

Some bollocks to do with Time Fracture

Quote from: Zartig09 of the noble Zartig clanI believe half way through Time Fracture, there is an interval at an alien pub. And these guys are singing there. A good idea in my opinion.

Come back Lockdown - all is forgiven!

mothman

Great. Perfect. Just great. For all we know, if BHobo had pulled his head out of his arse, we might have the inside track on who the next Doctor is...

BritishHobo

GoblinAhFuckScary

Malcy

Quote from: olliebean on September 20, 2021, 08:44:31 PM
Not really related to S13, but I'll just leave this here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9ae8tw5-1Y

Gave up after about 4 seconds after hearing that fucking accent!

Midas

Quote from: daf on September 20, 2021, 10:12:32 PM
Some bollocks to do with Time Fracture

thanks for the info daf. i'd heard of this but didn't really know anything about it - looks weird as fuck tbh. also noticed reading about it most of the Doctors are played by impressionists which seems a bit bizarre to me.

GoblinAhFuckScary

my landlord was actually setting up the time fracture event and would eagerly show me pictures of him setting up props on his phone when he came over to fix the boiler which was by that point on the fritz weekly

Midas

the twelfth Doctor is apparently played by a man called daniel dingsdale

purlieu

Quote from: Midas on September 21, 2021, 12:46:19 AM
also noticed reading about it most of the Doctors are played by impressionists which seems a bit bizarre to me.
Yeah, it's like Big Finish has come to try and crash the TV world's party. Except McGann, who's alive and active in the Doctor Who world, but is only present as archive audio.

Thomas

https://metro.co.uk/2021/09/21/john-bishop-bids-farewell-to-doctor-who-as-he-wraps-filming-15294892/

It's kind-of weird to be reading about John Bishop departing the show before his character has even been seen. At least this might put those silly theories about him being the secret next Doctor to bed.

Jerzy Bondov

I can't wait to see John Bishop in action as 'Dan'

Norton Canes

Just realised that 'dan' is Japanese for 'master'

Cloud

Hmm interesting observation.  Wouldn't surprise me.

JamesTC

Can't believe BritishHobo didn't take up the opportunity to shout DAN at the production team.

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: Norton Canes on September 22, 2021, 10:36:11 AM
Just realised that 'dan' is Japanese for 'master'
I do not think that John Bishop will be able to convincingly play a Japanese man, but I've been wrong before.

frajer

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on September 22, 2021, 11:44:08 AM
I do not think that John Bishop will be able to convincingly play a Japanese man, but I've been wrong before.

Would give Chibnall another chance to be ridiculously tone deaf.

Doctor: "There you are Master, Pearl Harbour 1942. Ooooh you'll be battered."

Replies From View

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on September 22, 2021, 11:44:08 AM

Exactly; walking only in a diagonal fashion does not imply any correlation to slanty eye angles of an entire race of people, and I do wish people would stop saying this.  It is an outmoded form of racism and it is unfunny.

Malcy

Saw some filming pics from Bishop's last day of filming on the regeneration episode.

Spoiler alert
Bradley Walsh back for it.
[close]

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: Malcy on September 22, 2021, 01:22:02 PM
Spoiler alert
Bradley Walsh back for it.
[close]

fair enough he's the one good thing about it right now