Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:08:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Crisps [split topic]

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, January 22, 2021, 11:41:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icehaven

Not to Mandela everyone but it's Seabrook, not Seabrooks/Seabrook's.

amateur

Quote from: stonkers on September 22, 2021, 08:25:11 PM
Discos are the strongest I've encountered. Golden Wonder salt and vinegar are possibly around the level of the Co-op ones.

Yeah, Discos remain the fuckest uppest for your basic boys. Co-Op's posh salt and vinegar are also a very good choice but you're paying to have your face go in on itself.

Replies From View

Who even needs a face in 2021

Quote from: Kankurette on September 22, 2021, 09:51:26 PM
Do the chippy ones taste like Scampi Fries?

Yeah, but with gherkins. Which makes no sense being a fish and chip flavour. Given the standard of the Walkers Restaurant Chain ones last year, it's an improvement. I also quite like the new Mini Cheddars flavours, but are Mini Cheddars crisps?

Replies From View

Obviously not.  Don't ask again

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Tayto Hunky Dory Buffalo crisps: acceptable fruity sauce backing up standard steak flavour. Crinkle cut acceptably crunchy. Overall: acceptable

6.5/10.

buttgammon

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on September 25, 2021, 09:46:30 AM
Tayto Hunky Dory Buffalo crisps: acceptable fruity sauce backing up standard steak flavour. Crinkle cut acceptably crunchy. Overall: acceptable

6.5/10.

If you want some crisps that'll blow your head off while you're in Ireland, get some of the Manhattan cheese and onion ones. They come in a black packet that looks like something from a sex shop and you normally only get them in pubs.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Thanks for the rec, shall keep a lookout.

These Tayto ones remind me of Highlander crisps, that used to be close to being my faves. They had an interesting flavour range:

QuoteAberdeen Angus & Horseradish
Bacon & Brown Sauce
Barbecue
Black Pepper
Caledonian Tomato
Chilli & Raspberry
Haggis & Cracked Pepper
Roast Beef
Salt & Ground Pepper
Scottish Crowdie Cheese & Red Pepper
Tomato
Vinegar

Not too shabby for the 90s.

TrenterPercenter

anyone mentioned/tried these yet? like a Polish version of bacon fries - I'm a fan and they only cost 50p for a big bag at my local Saino's!

Me and my other half devoured a whole bag of those Bekon Bastards in the car after a Sainsbury's shop and have vowed to never buy them again, lest we die of heart disease.

Kankurette

Czech pepper and rosemary crisps? Yes please.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on September 30, 2021, 12:56:38 PM
Me and my other half devoured a whole bag of those Bekon Bastards in the car after a Sainsbury's shop and have vowed to never buy them again, lest we die of heart disease.

That is the whole though isn't it, I thought this was a crisp death cult?

Cuntbeaks

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on September 30, 2021, 12:45:52 PM

anyone mentioned/tried these yet? like a Polish version of bacon fries - I'm a fan and they only cost 50p for a big bag at my local Saino's!
Yes indeed, been quietly munching these for a while. One of the most dangerous crisps I've tried, very moreish. The flavour isn't overwhelming or too salty and the texture is yielding but not too airy, just perfect in fact, too perfect.

Replies From View

Why do foreigners write all fake words on their crisp packets

TrenterPercenter

not sure but all those red boxes in the bottom right-hand corner don't look too good do they : /

Blumf

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on September 30, 2021, 02:27:28 PM
not sure but all those red boxes in the bottom right-hand corner don't look too good do they : /

In fairness, if they had any yellow or green boxes, it'd ruin the design of the packet. Best just ramp up the fat, salt and carbs for the sake of aesthetics.

Cuntbeaks

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on September 30, 2021, 02:27:28 PM

Red = Good

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Cuntbeaks on September 30, 2021, 03:54:24 PM
Red = Good

Yes and Polish cholesterol is much lighter and better for you than UK cholesterol.

paruses

Quote from: Malcy on September 15, 2021, 06:13:45 PM
Picked up a big bag of these earlier. Not tried them yet but reckon they'll be nice.

They aren't.

Will have to read back 3 pages now to discover everyone has said the same. They're not horrible but I think the endorsement / branding annoys me to the point where it affected the taste. Shouldn't have "celebrity" crisps.

Bought some Aldi prawn cocktail the other day. An excellent (and slightly stronger tasting) facsimile of Walkers. Obvs no good if you hate prawn cocktail but I don't.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Thing is, when you look at the pack you want to eat the burger. Eat the burger then smack those two kents. By the time that's done some potato slices are a side issue.

Magnum Valentino

Any Northern Irelanders remember Tayto only being available two at a time for a while in the late 90s, with the bags attached with one above the other? Seemed to go on for ages. Whatwerralladdabout

idunnosomename

Quote from: paruses on September 30, 2021, 06:11:48 PM
They aren't.

Will have to read back 3 pages now to discover everyone has said the same. They're not horrible but I think the endorsement / branding annoys me to the point where it affected the taste. Shouldn't have "celebrity" crisps.

Bought some Aldi prawn cocktail the other day. An excellent (and slightly stronger tasting) facsimile of Walkers. Obvs no good if you hate prawn cocktail but I don't.
no salt n lineker?????

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on September 30, 2021, 06:31:28 PM
Any Northern Irelanders remember Tayto only being available two at a time for a while in the late 90s, with the bags attached with one above the other? Seemed to go on for ages. Whatwerralladdabout

Was that the great tayto famine I've heard so much about?

Malcy

Quote from: paruses on September 30, 2021, 06:11:48 PM
They aren't.

I've been eating bags of the bastards since i bought them. Supply was low in the shop yesterday. I think half the sales were me.

mothman

My wife knows their a former member of their production staff. Whose name isn't on their current series, so I feel safe in saying they're apparently quite horrible, really rude and demanding.

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on September 30, 2021, 06:31:28 PMAny Northern Irelanders remember Tayto only being available two at a time for a while in the late 90s, with the bags attached with one above the other?

Sorry. I read that as like they only allowed you to buy two bags per person.
They were making you buy extra, which would be the opposite of a famine.
I appreciate you all putting up with my idiocy.

Replies From View

Quote from: mothman on September 30, 2021, 09:46:05 PM
My wife knows their a former member of their production staff. Whose name isn't on their current series, so I feel safe in saying they're apparently quite horrible, really rude and demanding.

I have a feeling you are talking about biscuits rather than crisps

mothman