Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:39:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

FUCKDOWN, U.S.A.

Started by Abnormal Palm, April 19, 2020, 01:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on September 10, 2021, 01:50:31 PM
Also, California may have done lockdowns and had a mask mandate in the past, but I'm not aware of a mask mandate currently and there aren't any lockdowns in California.

Most of the state has indoor mask mandates on a city/county level. LA and San Francisco are likely to mandate vaccines in order to do anything soon, some restaurants and venues started doing so back in June.

Now that Gov. Newsom survived the recall, we can probably except more statewide measures too.

mippy

I have a flight booked to the US for October, and in trying to make myself accept that it will most likely not happen for the third time, I was reading an article on how the borders won't reopen until theu worl out how to do vaccine passports. Which seems bizarre as every other country that's leting tourists in has worked out how to get arrivals to prove their status on arrival...

Ferris

If you think that's mad, wait til you find out what democrats united with republicans to do to Medicare's (potentially incredibly powerful and lifesaving) ability to negotiate drug prices with drug company in the middle of a pandemic.

(Ans: voted to keep it illegal so pharma companies can name their price when selling to Uncle Sam.)

rjd2

Shoulders?-Stomach!

That's pure cuntery regardless of vaccination views.

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteRepublican legislators in more than half of U.S. states, spurred on by voters angry about COVID-19 lockdowns and mask mandates, are taking away the powers state and local officials use to protect the public against infectious diseases.

A review by Kaiser Health News of hundreds of pieces of legislation found that, in all 50 states, legislators have proposed bills to curb public health powers since the pandemic began last year. While some governors vetoed bills that passed, at least 26 states pushed through laws that permanently weaken government authority to protect public health. More bills are pending in a handful of states whose legislatures are still in session...

In at least 16 states, legislators have limited the power of public health officials to order mask mandates, or quarantines or isolation. In some cases, they gave themselves or local elected politicians the authority to prevent the spread of infectious disease.
At least 17 states passed laws banning COVID-19 vaccine mandates or passports, or made it easier to get around vaccine requirements.
At least nine states have new laws banning or limiting mask mandates. Executive orders or a court ruling limit mask requirements in five more...

https://www.latimes.com/science/story/2021-09-15/republicans-roll-back-public-health-powers-amid-pandemic

Drygate

Fda says nay to the third jab booster for under 65s.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/09/17/world/covid-delta-variant-vaccine

I'm sure they'll roll it out anyway but if there's no point in boosters for the under 65s and protection wanes in 120 days from the second jab, are we f'd?

Ferris

Quote from: Drygate on September 18, 2021, 01:58:57 PM

A strange way to phase the FDA recommending third shots for people over 65 or otherwise clinically vulnerable (immuno compromised etc).

Drygate

That's what the news said?

QuoteFDA panel votes against broad rollout of Pfizer booster shot, endorses narrower use
The panel unexpectedly broke with the Biden administration's push for a widespread booster campaign this fall.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/09/17/tensions-rise-as-fda-advisory-panel-weighs-evidence-on-pfizer-booster-512543

Ferris

The article you linked said:

QuoteAn F.D.A. panel said anyone 65 and over or at high risk of severe Covid should get boosters

You said:

Quote from: Drygate on September 18, 2021, 01:58:57 PM

You don't think framing in the negative is weird?

Drygate

No. I thought the main point was that boosters aren't happening for the majority of the population (under 65s) not that they're being given to a smaller number of the population (65s and over).

Surely its good news they're not needed for under 65s and 2 doses is enough?

Ferris

Fambo Number Mive

Insurance companies in the US are no longer covering 100% of the costs of COVID treatment. A resident of Georgia who was in hospital in Tennessee after testing positive within 11 days of her Johnson and Johnson shot could face thousands of dollars in bills.

This is the system Johnson, his millionaire supporters, the grifters and his base want. They want people to be penalised for being sick.

Quote...A widow with no children, Azar, 57, is part of the unlucky majority. Her experience is a sign of what to expect if COVID, as most scientists fear, becomes endemic: a permanent, regular health threat.

The carrier for her employee health insurance, UnitedHealthcare, reinstated patient cost-sharing Jan. 31. That means, because she got sick months later, she could be on the hook for $5,500 in deductibles, copays and out-of-network charges this year for her care in a Georgia hospital near her home, including her ICU stay, according to estimates by her family. They anticipate she could face another $5,500 in uncovered expenses next year as her recovery continues.

Bills related to her stay at the out-of-network rehab hospital in Tennessee could climb as high as $10,000 more, her relatives have estimated, but they acknowledged they were uncertain this month what exactly to expect, even after asking UnitedHealthcare and the providers...

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/nation/the-days-of-full-covid-coverage-are-over-insurers-are-restoring-deductibles-and-copays-leaving-patients-with-big-bills/

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteThe federal government is investigating the Texas Education Agency after deeming that its guidance prohibiting mask mandates in schools last week may be "preventing school districts in the state from considering or meeting the needs of students with disabilities."

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/09/21/texas-schools-mask-mandates-education-department/

The Biden administration doing something positive about covid for a change. I presume that is who they mean by the federal government. While Biden has done better than Trump, I think he could have done a lot more to stop the spread of covid in the US. Allowing households to sign up for weekly delivers of 7 N95 masks, putting more pressure on states to enact mask mandates and ensure isolation doesn't leave ordinary people out of pocket would be three things that could help.

QDRPHNC

Looks like Canada just passed 80% double vaxxed and almost reached 90% for single vaxxed. So that's nice.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: QDRPHNC on September 26, 2021, 07:06:48 PM
Looks like Canada just passed 80% double vaxxed and almost reached 90% for single vaxxed. So that's nice.

And cases are still going up. We'll have over 5's vaccinated soon so that should help a bit.

Ferris

Quote from: QDRPHNC on September 26, 2021, 07:06:48 PM

For people over 12 though surely? NS is still straining like mad to get to 75% total population fully vaccinated before we open up, and we've been at 74.2% for what feels like weeks.

Honestly, I'm all for it. Why "open up" if you don't have to and there's no immediate benefit? Our stuff is open and I can go anywhere and do anything I want, I'm in no hurry to rush.

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteΞ Karimala Ξ
@KarimalaKay
Someone shot up my doctor's office in Pocatello Idaho. Another office also targeted. Someone angry about Covid vaccines & masks is suspected. It's really getting scary out there for HCW & I'm afraid someone is going to get killed.

https://twitter.com/KarimalaKay/status/1441973936791580676

Drygate

Looks like it might not be as bad in the US as it first appears

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2021/09/covid-hospitalization-numbers-can-be-misleading/620062/

QuoteDid they need treatment for COVID, or was there some other reason for admission, like cancer treatment or a psychiatric episode, and the COVID diagnosis was merely incidental? According to the researchers, 40 to 45 percent of the hospitalizations that they examined were for patients in the latter group.

MojoJojo

What difference does that make? Still looking at 780000 excess deaths. And rising!

Drygate

Well, at first glance hospitalizations look bad. But closer inspection reveals some of those people aren't in hospital for covid and were in there any way.

If covid isn't causing the hospitalizations, that's a good thing?

PlanktonSideburns

It's causing the deaths tho, in lots of people, whether there in hospital or not. Lots of people are going to be ill with stuff, and the point at wich they are going to hospital, for Covid or something else, is going to be a weak point for them where a respriraty condition is likely to finish em

mothman

Drygate is still pushing the "Well, everyone's going to die... eventually... anyway" line, I see.

I presume they're back because it's the weekend and there's no point picketing any of their local primary schools that want to vaccinate pupils.

Drygate

There's always a downside if you look hard enough
But if hospitalizations for covid are down, I can't see how that's a bad thing?

Dog Botherer

i don't think anyone is looking particularly hard for this downside mate

MojoJojo

Quote from: Drygate on October 02, 2021, 01:24:44 PM
There's always a downside if you look hard enough
But if hospitalizations for covid are down, I can't see how that's a bad thing?
Are hospitalizations for covid down, or are you just twisting a report? As far as I can see, the US stopped tracking hospitalizations back in march, so you're just lying.

Just stop and think for a moment - you're lying on the Internet in a way that might result in people dying sooner than they otherwise would have. Is that really how you want to spend your time on earth?

Ferris

Imagine looking at covid hospitalizations and saying "well based on an article I read I can immediately discount 40% of those (against the advice of medical professionals) because there's a lot goes on we don't know about so maybe it's all alright"

It's mad.

Ferris

As for why hospitalizations are down: they're putting 2,000 people a day in the ground. That'll clear a backlog of inpatients pretty quickly.

700,000th US covid death recorded today. Probably faking it or caught it in hospital or broke their legs and were rung up as covid deaths by unscrupulous doctors or didn't get ivermectin or died from the vaccine... etc etc etc.