Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:18:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What If...?

Started by olliebean, August 11, 2021, 07:07:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Ambassador

For some reason, I forgot what this series was called and started referring to it as "What's Up..?"

beanheadmcginty

Seems a bit unlikely that Ultron was able to murder everyone in the whole universe except the two superheroes that have no superpowers.

mothman

I noticed in the Hawkeye thread that opinions were mixed regarding Jeremy Renner's acting ability. I think he's perfectly fine. But he's not good at VO. His readings have been flat throughout with none of the character he brought to the live action films. Just what we see of him in the Hawkeye trailer has more character than he's displayed in this whole series - and he's been a near-constant presence throughout this season. Lake Bell manages to sound more like the Romanoff we're used to.

But where it really falls short is in not having James Spader as Ultron. He absolutely made that role, with a nice mix of menace and humour. Definitely the biggest casting misstep of the whole show. Unavailable? Unwilling? It's a shame.

letsgobrian

Quote from: mothman on September 30, 2021, 07:34:15 AM
But where it really falls short is in not having James Spader as Ultron. He absolutely made that role, with a nice mix of menace and humour. Definitely the biggest casting misstep of the whole show. Unavailable? Unwilling? It's a shame.

As it's Spader, he probably couldn't be bothered.

Lord Mandrake

They used Ross Marquand for Ultron/vision. He replaced Hugo Weaving as red skull in Infinity War and Endgame. I think he was going for something other than a Spader impression, maybe a mix of Spader/Bettany's voices? Didn't really work.

wooders1978

What if this wasn't a load of stupid shit?

mothman

Quote from: Lord Mandrake on October 01, 2021, 10:09:25 AM
They used Ross Marquand for Ultron/vision. He replaced Hugo Weaving as red skull in Infinity War and Endgame. I think he was going for something other than a Spader impression, maybe a mix of Spader/Bettany's voices? Didn't really work.

Yes, I wondered that too, but Vision only sounds like Jarvis because Jarvis was the basis for the Vision OS, or personality, or whatever (and it provided a nice way to expand Bettany's part in the franchise). By that logic, UltroVision should have sounded like Spader alone.

Glebe

Why didn't Ultravison
Spoiler alert
completely destroy Earth?
[close]
Seemed like he
Spoiler alert
blew up all other life-supporting planets
[close]

mothman

Because he'd already "cleansed" it (he thought) maybe? The hard way, as it were. The others, total destruction was the easy quick way once he had the stones?

Glebe

Quote from: mothman on October 01, 2021, 09:58:32 PMBecause he'd already "cleansed" it (he thought) maybe? The hard way, as it were. The others, total destruction was the easy quick way once he had the stones?

Come off it Mothy, what are you, Ultravision's PR man? This is a completely unacceptable answer!

mothman

Is not! It's a valid hypothesis, you know? He kills off (nearly all of) humanity, is wondering what to do next, in swans Thanos who gets killed and gives him ultimate power and the awareness that other worlds are out there that a) he can now reach, and b) can obliterate easily, so off he rushes. And by the time he's done that, maybe he was thinking he'll go back and actually destroy Earth, but then he learns of the multiverse and off he goes again.

You telling me you've never rushed out to do something and left a stove on, or something?

And as an aside, the Watcher really needs to learn not to monologue behind supreme beings who've wiped out everyone else in their universe...

Glebe

Okay fair enough. But Ultravison mate, you've left the house without plugging everything out so to speak, go back to Earth and deal with owt in the next episode!

Dr Rock

He hasn't bumped into Galactus... who doesn't exist yet in in the MCU but surely will quite soon.

Great episode, great bit at the the end. Looking forward to the next episode.

C_Larence

I take it nobody watched the last episode then? I did, but don't remember anything about it already.

Mister Six

Which of these are worth watching? Can't be arsed with them all.

C_Larence

Quote from: Mister Six on October 12, 2021, 12:41:17 AM
Which of these are worth watching? Can't be arsed with them all.

The Dr Strange one had the best visuals, but you aren't missing much by not watching.

colacentral

Quote from: C_Larence on October 12, 2021, 12:53:38 AM
The Dr Strange one had the best visuals, but you aren't missing much by not watching.

Seconded. If you aren't arsed enough to watch them all, I wouldn't bother with any.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I liked the ending. I saw complaints about it going serialized after seemingly being a disconnected anthology thing, but I don't see the problem - it's only the last two episodes that tie everything together and, if you ignore them, the preceding episodes still work by themselves.

The big fight in the penultimate episode made Infinity War and Endgame look rather piffling in comparison.