Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:28:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Only Fools and Horses

Started by Leej88, June 08, 2021, 05:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idunnosomename

The whole show is just that for two hours

Utter Shit

I am the biggest Fools and Horses nerd going but it is astonishing that they are STILL knocking out new merchandise. A new book out this week marking the 40th anniversary of the show...but what is left to say? There's only so many ways you can say "if we'd laughed during the chandelier scene the show would have been cancelled" and "The genius of the show can be summed up in four words: John Sullivan, John Sullivan".

That said, I will obviously be buying it.

Fambo Number Mive

The ultimate in thrilling OFAH clickbait articles

"Only Fools and Horses: Here's what the actor who played yuppie Steven in The Jolly Boys' Outing looks like now"

https://www.mylondon.news/news/celebs/only-fools-horses-heres-what-21703489

markburgle

Albert – "It were in 2001. We'd flown into New York to knock down some buildings. She were the most beautiful terrorist I ever seen! She had one finger too many on one hand, one too few on the other. I asked her to marry me. She said no! After all this time, I still fink of her when I hear the phrase '9/11'."

Rodney – "What, 'cos that's how many fingers she had?"

Utter Shit

Remember the episode where Rodney forced Grandad to get a sleeve tattoo depicting all the times he'd shit himself in public.

Gurke and Hare

lankyguy95

Remember when Rodney did a cum and Cassandra made no face.

JamesTC

Puppet Del Boy falls through the bar and puppet Trigger pulls a face.

H-O-W-L

Puppet Del Boy recounts the war crimes he committed in Indochina, before Puppet Uncle Albert stops him and asks "Jurindawoah?" to which Del Boy stares directly down the camera lens and menacingly answers: "No."

franticplanet

Rodney pushes his arm all the way up Puppet Uncle Albert's ar-- wait, no, that's the real Uncle Albert. And he's gone right up. Can't even see his elbow.

No wonder the poor bastard fell down the stairs.

Glebe

Those puppets are impressive but mildly unsettling. Del looks like Tony Booth.

Itza Puppet, obviously a nod to Brian Conley... and lo! They actually have a Brian "pah-peh!":

Fambo Number Mive

Glebe

Peter Bowles has let himself go.

mrClaypole

Remember that episode.  It was the comeback xmas special in 2000 watched by one billion people in the uk alone.  It involved a hilarious gravy boat mix up where uncle Albert got the jar with the gravy in mixed up with the jar containing Cassandra's unsuccessful uterus and had it poured all over the dinner of Damians real dad.  The devil himself.
The episode ended with Uncle Albert being beaten slowly too death by the unborn children Cass failed to carry to full term.

idunnosomename

Stick der Juden in no maybe not

Video Game Fan 2000

Horrendous broken glass comment also possible.

damien

Interesting that this is 'news' now, I'm sure there may have been a specific thread dedicated to this episode at some point but I can't find it if so.. 

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/only-fools-horses-episode-banned-27540344

JamesTC

An article about a writer re-editing a story over 30 years ago that has been published in such a way to attract culture war freaks. Still, it worked.

Captain Z

You can't say anything those days

kalowski

This is my favourite comment
QuoteIt was comedy at its best, fish out of water. It was also shown, hence why I wrote to John Sullivan, after I had sent him my take on Just Good Friends, where he mentioned a restaurant scene that wasn't used, the same weekend as the final episode of Just Good Friends, so it made for a hilarious weekend, which I thanked John for.

Replies From View

Britbox is annoying me with its shitty presentation of Only Fools and Horses, even ignoring the usual issues with edited versions of episodes becoming the only versions available.

You probably know this already but I'll vent.  The episodes essentially sit within folders on the streaming service, as you'd expect.  The series themselves are sequential, which is perfect, but all the Christmas episodes are separated out into their own folders and ordered arbitrarily.  There's an 'Xmas Specials' folder, within which 1991's Miami Twice Parts 1 and 2 sit as episodes one and two (why?), and all the rest follow in date order from 1981-2003 apart from the 1996 trilogy - which is in its own separate 'Xmas 1996' folder.

Really unnecessary and annoying, requiring anyone who doesn't want to skip the specials during a sequential rewatch to have a comprehensive episode list on standby.

It's also really tricky to even reach this presentation of folders.  Usually you have completely randomised collections like 'fan favourites' and 'trotters on tour' - and even the 'browse all episodes' option takes you to a completely arbitrary, non chronological order.  To get to the flawed 'folders' arrangement you need to know to hover your mouse over one of the episodes and click on 'more information'.  I can't wrap my head around it.

There.  Rant over.

Replies From View

(They present all their series in the same way, of course - One Foot in the Grave likewise has its specials inexplicably separated out making their navigation needlessly convoluted, but anyway.  Britbox is clearly not being organised by someone who understands the value of chronology and instead prioritises a themed-curation approach.  And it is shite.)

Fambo Number Mive

And for some reason they find it a lot easier to get hold of the specials for sitcoms. It's annoying when you think a load of episodes for a sitcom have turned up on Britbox and then you realise it's just the specials.

grainger

Quote from: Replies From View on August 14, 2022, 10:32:42 AMBritbox is annoying me with its shitty presentation of Only Fools and Horses, even ignoring the usual issues with edited versions of episodes becoming the only versions available.

You probably know this already but I'll vent.  The episodes essentially sit within folders on the streaming service, as you'd expect.  The series themselves are sequential, which is perfect, but all the Christmas episodes are separated out into their own folders and ordered arbitrarily.  There's an 'Xmas Specials' folder, within which 1991's Miami Twice Parts 1 and 2 sit as episodes one and two (why?), and all the rest follow in date order from 1981-2003 apart from the 1996 trilogy - which is in its own separate 'Xmas 1996' folder.

Really unnecessary and annoying, requiring anyone who doesn't want to skip the specials during a sequential rewatch to have a comprehensive episode list on standby.

It's also really tricky to even reach this presentation of folders.  Usually you have completely randomised collections like 'fan favourites' and 'trotters on tour' - and even the 'browse all episodes' option takes you to a completely arbitrary, non chronological order.  To get to the flawed 'folders' arrangement you need to know to hover your mouse over one of the episodes and click on 'more information'.  I can't wrap my head around it.

There.  Rant over.

Yeah, Britbox is quite bad for presenting specials as separate "series". I recently watched all the Granana Sherlock Holmes stories. They separated out as separate shows (one show per special). To have a hope of watching them in the right order, I had to have a list (As I understand it, the "specials" in this series were often just longer episodes presented during the run of individual seasons).

One would hope that Britbox would take more care with this, given that it's the place to watch many archive TV series, and probably attracts people who care about this sort of thing.

grainger

Quote from: Replies From View on August 14, 2022, 10:49:09 AM(They present all their series in the same way, of course - One Foot in the Grave likewise has its specials inexplicably separated out making their navigation needlessly convoluted, but anyway.  Britbox is clearly not being organised by someone who understands the value of chronology and instead prioritises a themed-curation approach.  And it is shite.)

The thing is, they could present the shows chronologically, and also have themed playlists for people who just want to watch Del falling through the bar, and the chandelier incident. That's one of the benefits of content sitting on servers.