Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:45:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who Series 13: Goodbye, Mr. Chibs

Started by Norton Canes, August 10, 2021, 01:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
According to an interview with Chibbers in DWM, apparently other writers were planned to be involved in this season but for several reasons had to be dropped and he did (nearly) the lot instead.

Showrunner mismanagement or the Beeb putting their foot down and saying "You've got six episodes and a couple of specials to wrap this up"?

Kelvin

"because of the turnaround"

Can't wait to see what a rushed Chibnall episode looks like...

daf

Fewer episodes, Chibnall - you illiterate plum! *

- - - - - - - - - - - -
* (Unless he means the episodes themselves will be shorter in length than previously - i.e. there'd be less of each episode)

jamiefairlie

Quote from: daf on October 23, 2021, 07:00:18 PM

- - - - - - - - - - - -
* (Unless he means the episodes themselves will be shorter in length than previously - i.e. there'd be less of each episode)

Let's fucking hope so eh.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Episode one has a running time of 50 minutes, which is the average length of a Chibnall episode. The finale will presumably be an hour long, in order to accommodate the sheer volume of amazing concepts, arc-driven plot twists and emotionally satisfying character beats that man has in store for us. Can't wait.

Replies From View

Quote from: daf on October 23, 2021, 07:00:18 PM

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Was going to say the same thing.

mothman

Oh, sure, but it's apparently not OK when Newsnight photoshops him... 🤔

GoblinAhFuckScary

olliebean

Episode 2: WAR OF THE SONTARANS

The Doctor has an unexpected encounter with one of her deadliest enemies when the Sontarans become a new faction in the Crimean War. As the British army goes into pitched battle with the warlike aliens, the Doctor and her companions seek the help of renowned nurse Mary Seacole (Sara Powell), while an ancient temple hides mysterious secrets.

M-CORP

Gotta love how much effort they clearly put into that title.

'What should we call it?'
'err... well, there's Sontarans, and a war.....'
'...'

'I think we should name it after a bit of dialogue from the script.'
'What about Yaz's line on page 36?'
'What does she say?'
'She says, 'Yeah.'
'Love it! Unusual, open to interpretation, highly original! It's also open to interpretation! We're calling the episode, 'Yeah'.

Everything about that synopsis screams 'perfunctory Doctor Who AI generator'. Not saying I could do a better job myself, tho. Tried writing an alternative series 13 episode 1, and it just descended into tired anti-Chibnall meta jokes and Morrissey shooting a sheep.

Also looking forward to how Chibnall respectfully pays tribute to all those who lost their lives riding into the Valley Of Death... by alleging it was potatoes with lasers what dun it. Cos he will do that.

Was going into this cautiously optimistic 'Flux' might be an improvement, given they've clearly responded creatively to COVID limitations and are trying something different. God, you'd think I'd have learnt from how series 12 lived up to the hype. But you never know. That said, the titles, description, and trailer - i.e. everything we've already seen indicate more of the same. Production values look decent though.

Ballad's previews are much appreciated here and will be the deciding factor as to whether or not I should care to watch. I particularly look forward to imagining, as I read his inevitably glowing praise, that Ballad is actually Russell T Davies in disguise. We all have our fantasies.

Kelvin

Bet the kids are itching for some Crimean War adventures.

mothman

Even I can come up with a better title than that!

THE CHARGE OF THE SHORT BRIGADE

There you go Chibbers, you can have that one for free.

Mister Six

Mary Seacole was an actual person, apparently. Looking forward to The Doctor enthusiastically abridging her Wikipedia entry while Mary is drafted in as a supporting character with no notable personality or characteristics whatsoever.

Kids are going to be well excited, I reckon. WOW, THE CRIMEAN WAR AND MARY SEACOLE, NURSE AND HOTELIER, IN THE SAME EPISODE???

Do you reckon Chibnall will use the Flux and jiggered-around timelines to undo The Doctor allowing the Cybercunt to kill all human life in the universe (except for, like, four people) last season, or has he forgotten about that?

Midas

Given that this is supposed to be a single story, the descriptions for the first two episodes don't sound particularly cohesive...

How does Dog Man fit into the Crimean War???

GoblinAhFuckScary

Mister Six

Quote from: Midas on October 25, 2021, 07:24:22 PM
Given that this is supposed to be a single story, the descriptions for the first two episodes don't sound particularly cohesive...

How does Dog Man fit into the Crimean War???

Get the feeling this "serial" will be less of a cohesive ongoing narrative, and more like a 1980s kids' cartoon, with The Doctor encountering a series of otherwise unconnected anachronistic events caused by the Karvanista.

Quote from: M-CORP on October 25, 2021, 06:54:04 PM
Ballad's previews are much appreciated here and will be the deciding factor as to whether or not I should care to watch. I particularly look forward to imagining, as I read his inevitably glowing praise, that Ballad is actually Russell T Davies in disguise. We all have our fantasies.

Bad news, lads. Episode one won't be available for preview. Which doesn't bode well, does it? What are they trying to hide?!

It's probably another one of Chibnall's brilliant ideas: don't let the press see the first episode, as that will heighten anticipation. Or something. Of course what it actually means is that all the previews this weekend will basically amount to "Yeah, so Doctor Who is back on Sunday. Fuck knows if it's any good or not, as we weren't allowed to see it."

Also, I can confirm, alas, that I am not Russell T. Davies.

Mister Six

Would you mind being Russell T Davies for a bit? He's going to be very overworked soon, so a second one of him would lighten the load.

Quote from: Mister Six on October 25, 2021, 07:45:41 PM
Would you mind being Russell T Davies for a bit? He's going to be very overworked soon, so a second one of him would lighten the load.

Sure, I can do that. It'll make a nice change from being me.

M-CORP

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on October 25, 2021, 07:41:50 PM
Bad news, lads. Episode one won't be available for preview. Which doesn't bode well, does it? What are they trying to hide?!

I'm betting it's another John Barrowman cameo. I think Chibnall would do that. He's not gonna have his master plan of bringing back Jack ruined by anything.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on October 25, 2021, 07:41:50 PM
Also, I can confirm, alas, that I am not Russell T. Davies.

you are russell t davies and i claim my five pounds

M-CORP

Quotehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3w4zaCyXok

'First Look' clip just been released. Probably not the sort of clip I would have used to promote a sci-fi series. It speaks for itself.

Kelvin

Quote from: M-CORP on October 25, 2021, 08:32:34 PM
'First Look' clip just been released. Probably not the sort of clip I would have used to promote a sci-fi series. It speaks for itself.

Even the most basic thing - a silly throwaway scene - is bungled by this team of idiots. You don't play that kind of sinister music under such broad comedy or it completely kills the joke. Such a basic thing, so how can these people not understand that?

Alberon

God, I'm really going to miss Bradley Walsh. He can actually act.

Lungpuddle

Quote from: Kelvin on October 25, 2021, 08:43:38 PM
Even the most basic thing - a silly throwaway scene - is bungled by this team of idiots. You don't play that kind of sinister music under such broad comedy or it completely kills the joke. Such a basic thing, so how can these people not understand that?

Maybe John Bishop smiling as he slips sweets into bags belonging to young children before telling an adult to get lost isn't as innocent as it seems.

Midas

what with them hiding the first episode from the press

getting a VERY strong impression that this is going to be
Spoiler alert
shit
[close]

Quote from: Kelvin on October 25, 2021, 08:43:38 PM

Bizarre, isn't it? The scene itself isn't exactly rib-tickling, but it does at least revolve around a coherent comic conceit. Which is actually quite remarkable for a scene written by Chibnall. But whatever life it might've had is completely undermined by the music. Chibnall signed off on that. He watched his light-hearted scene unfold with an entirely inappropriate score and went, "Yep, perfect. That's exactly the mood I was after."

I just don't understand him. At all.