Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:51:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Final FUCKDOWN

Started by Chedney Honks, May 31, 2021, 11:43:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Have we got one more to go before the end of 2021?

Yes.
94 (66.7%)
No.
36 (25.5%)
Young people probably spread it in the first place so prepare to meet thy doom 😂😂😂
11 (7.8%)

Total Members Voted: 141

QDRPHNC

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on October 20, 2021, 09:21:53 PM
A capitalist's wet-dream - perfect time to cut their pay and slash their benefits!

Quote from: Bernard Matthews
It's when they're tired, desperate and hungry that they're at their most compliant.

Ferris

I think that's what I was quasi-remembering!

mothman

My 16yo has had one jab and was told at the time that supply shortages might mean she'd wait a while for her second. Still waiting for my 12yo to be called up but as soon as she is we'll get her jabbed.

olliebean

The graph on the ZOE website of estimated current symptomatic cases is higher now than at the peak in January. And due to vaccines, the proportion of cases that are asymptomatic will be higher now than it was then, so the total number of cases now is probably quite a lot higher than it has ever been before.

Pinball

Say what you like about breast fondling Hancock, but towards the end of his tenure he got it and was doing the right things policy-wise. By contrast, the current machiavellian banker health minister is letting us die. It's obvious even to the obtuse that we currently need the re-imposition of WFH, mandatory masks, social distancing and banning of mass indoor events. Let us count down the days before this obviousity hits home.

This is like the early days of the pandemic, with the Tory government fucking up royally, and inappropriately believing in herd immunity. Evil, obtuse, manslaughtering fucking idiots.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Yes, and even worse than last time in that there's a concerted effort to normalise the forthcoming avoidable mass death.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on October 25, 2021, 11:20:49 AM
Yes, and even worse than last time in that there's a concerted effort to normalise the forthcoming avoidable mass death.

I totally agree. On the rest of the internet whenever people bring up the number of deaths per day from covid in the UK there's always someone saying "Do you want zero deaths?" as if the only options are over 100 people per day dying of covid or zero people dying. The latest thing now in reply to people who sensibily suggest that bringing back wfh for people who can and requiring masks on public transport and in shops could avoid another lockdown Christmas is for people to say "I was glad I didn't have to see my family over Christmas". Many of us would like to see our family at Christmas thank you - I live alone and haven't seen my family since early August. I am uneasy about seeing them now giving the amount of commuting I do and will be taking lots of leave so I can isolate ahead of seeing them on the 24th. So not being able to do so because the cases are so high will be really awful.

There are clearly a lot of people who spend their time attacking everyone but the government, not sure if they are Tory party members or just right wing people who want to shut down any criticism of the people in charge who are giving them what they want. I find it all very demoralising when I am doing the best I can to keep others safe but am worried about a Christmas lockdown due to the selfishness of others. And the people who will have caused the lockdown won't accept that they were mistaken in don't calling for precautions to be brought back in. A lot of them like to peddle the lie online that the behaviour of the government has no effect on the precautions that ordinary people take.

Ferris

Is this caseload the "new normal" then? Not enough people dying or going to hospital to make Javid and co change course.

mobias

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on October 25, 2021, 12:52:27 PM
Is this caseload the "new normal" then? Not enough people dying or going to hospital to make Javid and co change course.

Pretty much. We as a society seem to have decided that 200 or so people dying a day is a price worth paying to keep nightclubs open. Because currently thats what it seems to have boiled down to.

No idea what its going to take to change that. Will 500 deaths a day be the tipping point?

olliebean

Supposedly the "acceptable" level of death, in terms of cost to the economy (vs the cost of another lockdown), has been set at 50,000/year - which amounts to around 137/day - measured at a sustained level over at least 2 weeks. While it's peaked above that, it hasn't stayed there for 2 weeks or more since March.

They apparently weren't interested in what level of death was economically "acceptable" compared to the cost of keeping the economy open, but bringing back the rules about mask wearing and social distancing. (Nor, of course, in the value of human life beyond economic utility.)

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I don't know why this needs to keep being repeated so far into the piece, but it's about hospitalisations and the government wanting to avoid, if for PR more than anything else, the media broadcasting of the NHS visibly being overwhelmed like we're Ethiopia or something and the quick connection the public make between that and the timing of the governments lockdown decisions. The encroachment of death and suffering among the wider population, also plays a part in how well the government are seen to be doing.

There are some aspects to the excess deaths that also potentially put a strain on funeral services, mortuary space, grave sites etc and no doubt headline figures will make cabinet ministers fidgety (only some in a masturbatory way) but it's really about protecting, at least notionally, the NHS as that, by proxy protects them. (By protect I of course don't mean actually fund and organise properly)

I am not stating this because I think 1,000 dying a week is in any way acceptable, only as hospitalisations numbers has clearly been the driver behind all UK lockdowns up to now, with a second eye on capping the spiking horror of large death numbers. The point is that the threshold for lockdown measures would be a lot higher if the government felt the NHS and secondary services could take it.

Zetetic

It's also painfully clear that the current state of the 'ViD isn't anywhere near the biggest issue for the NHSs of the UK at this point. Capacity and demand are fucked, with or without it, in both unscheduled and elective care.

This was true in 2019, but it's extremely obvious now.

shiftwork2

First official change I've noticed - as of tomorrow most visitors are no longer allowed in one of the hospitals in my Trust.  'This is due to the high number of COVID-19 infections in the community, in XXX in particular, and the increasing number of patients with COVID-19 in hospital.'

Reviewed in three weeks.

Chollis

Zetetic

Quote from: shiftwork2 on October 26, 2021, 11:11:00 AM
First official change I've noticed - as of tomorrow most visitors are no longer allowed in one of the hospitals in my Trust.
We've had that for a few weeks in our bit of the world for most of the big sites.

Fambo Number Mive

It's worrying that a speculative article by Mr T entitled "Covid: Are cases about to plummet without Plan B?" is being promoted so high on the BBC News front page. A lot of people will read it and assume things will get better anyway so not bother taking more precautions.

Chedney Honks

He's been doing similar since this began. I wonder how much damage he's caused with his question marks?

batwings

Quote from: Chedney Honks on October 26, 2021, 12:50:26 PM
He's been doing similar since this began. I wonder how much damage he's caused with his question marks?

I pity the fools who've been misled by him.

weaseldust

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on October 26, 2021, 12:39:47 PM
It's worrying that a speculative article by Mr T entitled "Covid: Are cases about to plummet without Plan B?" is being promoted so high on the BBC News front page. A lot of people will read it and assume things will get better anyway so not bother taking more precautions.

i saw that as well and took a screenshot for future reference of the graph which predicts cases suddenly dropping over christmas and new year. u wot mate

Fambo Number Mive

Quote@queenchristina_
·
14h
263 deaths today. 263. And no one even mentions their names. Number of deaths in Italy, for comparison, 30. But they do not regard hundreds of daily deaths as a "price worth paying" to get on a bus without a mask. Shame on us. Really.

mothman

Still, nobody's saying "Could be worse, look at how badly Italy is affected" anymore so, silver linings, eh?

MojoJojo

I'd like to take the the fact cases seem to be dropping and be a bit positive... but nah, I can't do it. Cases are too high, it's shit, and I really don't understand why something as basic as masks on public transport isn't being advocated.

Fambo Number Mive

Sajid Javid thinks the pressure on the NHS is sustainable, while ambulances stack up outside A&E and people are dying who could have been saved. Yet people continue to defend the Government (not on here). Do all these Tories have access to private accident and emergency rooms?

QuoteA patient has died in the back of an ambulance while waiting outside an overwhelmed hospital A&E department.

An investigation has been launched after the death of the patient, understood to be an elderly woman, on Sunday night outside Addenbrooke's Hospital, in Cambridge.

The patient suffered a cardiac arrest while paramedics were waiting to hand her over to hospital staff. They were forced to wait outside with other ambulances because the A&E unit was "extremely busy".

When you click on the link below an automatic video ad starts playing while you read the story

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/addenbrookes-ambulance-emergency-patient-death-b1945473.html

Everything is fine, it's just the trusts that are failing, you see. If only there were private companies who could come in, take over the running of our hospitals and save us.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: MojoJojo on October 27, 2021, 12:51:40 PM
I'd like to take the the fact cases seem to be dropping and be a bit positive... but nah, I can't do it.

Even if you wanted to, you can't, because they aren't, at least not looking at any meaningful batch of data (longer than 7 days is a start).

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/

Each trough in this wave is higher than the last one. It has been climbing for months. Literally days ago one day's figures caused national alarm in the media.

olliebean

According to the active cases graph on that page, approx. 1 in 45 people in the UK are currently infected, which is a pretty scary statistic.

Fambo Number Mive

Strongly considering making a complaint to the BBC over Mr T's article and how they are trying to play down this latest wave. I don't know if it will make any different though.

It's so disturbing that 1 in 45 people are currently infected, ambulances are queuing up outside hospitals and when you click on the Coronvirus tab on the BBC website the main article is Triggle's "might everything be ok?" speculative nonsense. It's literally putting lives at risk.

Fambo Number Mive

Moscow is now having a partial lockdown and workers being given nine days off to try and curb infections. Though Russia's coronavirus case rates are lower than the UK's, the death rate is higher with 1159 deaths in 24 hours (although I presume Russia doesn't have a 28 day after infection cutoff to make the death rate look better like the UK does).

According to the BBC, vaccination rates are lower in Russia than the UK.

bgmnts

Nothing to lose by making a complaint.

Ferris

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on October 28, 2021, 11:24:24 AM
Moscow is now having a partial lockdown and workers being given nine days off to try and curb infections. Though Russia's coronavirus case rates are lower than the UK's, the death rate is higher with 1159 deaths in 24 hours (although I presume Russia doesn't have a 28 day after infection cutoff to make the death rate look better like the UK does).

According to the BBC, vaccination rates are lower in Russia than the UK.

They're using the Sputnik vaccine as well which I think is a tier below mRNA/AZ in terms of efficacy and transmission reduction.