Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:18:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Talking Pictures

Started by Captain Crunch, May 13, 2018, 10:37:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norton Canes

Quote from: Ignatius_S on October 12, 2021, 07:17:21 PM
Made at the same time as A Private Function and funds from the latter's budget were pumped into Water when costs spiralled - Handmade thought Water was going to be be a big hit

'A Private Function' was on last night, I wonder if they're having a mini Handmade Films season?

kaprisky

Water, Mona Lisa, A Private Function... The Missionary (upcoming). I'd say it's not so much a season as more what they could get the rights to. London Live have had Bullshot and Water, Scrubbers, Privates on Parade, How to Get Ahead in Advertising and The Missionary in the past.

We've had Mike Read on the Footage Detectives, now we have Mike Reid back in another episode of Runaround next weekend!

Ambient Sheep

Yes, there's a few good films coming up.  For anyone that missed it, A Private Function is being repeated this Thursday (28/10) at 9pm.

Then yes, a Halloween special Runaround on Sunday at 9am.

The Missionary is being shown Sun 14th November at 10.05pm, repeated Thu 18th November at 10.35pm.

Also, Personal Services is getting another outing on Saturday 6th November at 10.15pm as is The Earth Dies Screaming a few hours earlier at 2.25pm.

Meanwhile they're going to show The Quatermass Experiment (film, not TV) as part of their Cellar Club strand this Friday 29/10 at 9pm, repeated at midnight on Wed/Thu 3rd/4th Nov.

Quote from: A Hat Like That on October 24, 2021, 10:23:40 PM
Secret Army episode 5 - just shouted at telly at the scene near the end in the cafe. (Young Paul Copley, there, which was nice)

As far as I can tell, Lifeline's record is:

0 airman rescued, 8 or so caught, 1 actively handed in by the cafe owner,  4 shot by the Germans, 1 murdered by Lifeline themselves.

Not entirely sure what side they're on.

Just realised that Allo Allo might have been taking firm aim at this.

kaprisky

The Gods Must Be Crazy is on this Saturday night. Watch along with a customary bottle of Coca-Cola.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: A Hat Like That on October 28, 2021, 04:30:47 PM
Just realised that Allo Allo might have been taking firm aim at this.

It's often said that's the main influence or what was being spoofed but Jeremy Lloyd, who came up with the idea for 'Allo 'Allo says that he hadn't seen the series as he wasn't in the country when it was shown and the series was sending up all manner of wartime films and series. I can certainly see how he would have got the idea without seeing Secret Army, but that doesn't mean that he would have been unaware of the show's popularity or that pitching that type of sitcom when that series was in the public's consciousness.

Quite a lot of specific things in 'Allo 'Allo seem really pointed now I'm watching Secret Army.

Secret Army's brave heroes of the resistance have just murdered someone in cold blood to keep the line a secret.

# of airmen actually rescued - I think we're up to 5, got a bit ropey just at the end but they finish the episode on the way to Switzerland. We'll count that.

Brian Glover really excellent as a grieving German sergeant (from Yorkshire).

Quote from: kaprisky on October 29, 2021, 03:02:18 PMThe Gods Must Be Crazy is on this Saturday night. Watch along with a customary bottle of Coca-Cola.

Enjoyed, but slightly different to what I was expecting.

kaprisky

The Outer Limits (1963-65) starts tonight.

Maigret (1960 and another BBC series) starts tomorrow.

Nickelodeon (1976) gets a first screening on Sunday afternoon.

The Gods Must Be Crazy gets another repeat on 19th Jan. I liked the bit where the jeep is winched up a tree.

Also when you see Funny Man (1994) again look out for the Savile reference near the end.

Attila

Quote from: kaprisky on January 07, 2022, 09:35:26 AMThe Outer Limits (1963-65) starts tonight.

Yes!!!! The show that was banned from my house when I was little, much to my brothers' annoyance (it gave me screaming night terrors when I was in single digits back there in them there '60s). I even remember the specific episode that became the 'Right, that's it, that's enough, NO MORE.'

Blumf

Quote from: kaprisky on January 07, 2022, 09:35:26 AMThe Outer Limits (1963-65) starts tonight.

Thanks. That was a nice one.

Can't quite figure out the effect on the visitor. There was some negative film, but there were some dots on him that seemed like focus blurring, but too sharp.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: Blumf on January 07, 2022, 09:35:08 PMThanks. That was a nice one.

Can't quite figure out the effect on the visitor. There was some negative film, but there were some dots on him that seemed like focus blurring, but too sharp.

Apparently a black rubber wetsuit filmed in negative, so that dots of light show up as black.

Nice attempt at a properly alien being, that has to have explained to it why humans have holes in their faces.

kaprisky

Heads up, two films which might generate interest on here in February: Morons From Outer Space, which seemed to have some fans on the Bloodbath at the House of Death thread. And Carry On Columbus, the final Carry On to date, and featuring Mayall, Sayle, Planer and Peter Richardson amongst the cast.

Bad Ambassador

I did a podcast on Carry on Columbus recently, and it's not nearly as bad as its reputation.

Blumf

Carry on Columbus is certainly no where near the bottom of the Carry On films, but neither is it at Carry On's glorious peaks.

Morons from Outer Space is a bit... one step above naff? Seems like it should have been one of the lesser Comic Strip Presents productions, but I don't think it had any link at all.

kalowski

Suddenly starring Frank Sinatra in a plot to assassinate the president is on tomorrow morning (11am). Can't remember if  I first saw it on Moviedrome but it's a cracker.

Carry On Columbus - opening scene looks so, so cheap. it's OK, I guess, Alexei Sayle is having a whale of a time.

That said, in terms of 'late 80s-early 90s media where Alexei Sayle is having a whale of a time', it does fall below both Indiana Jones and Dr Who.

Blumf

..Columbus is better than ..Emmannuelle and ..England, probably better than ..Behind

All in all, considering the factors against it, I'd say Carry on Columbus was pretty decent. Seems to be aiming for Carry on Jack in tone, which is a good decision, as the more bawdy style of the 70s films just wouldn't fit with the early-90s (maybe late-90s 'Loaded' and 'ladette' trends, ugh)

Overall, a nice collection of old and (then-)new comedy talent to enjoy, and saves the franchise from going out on that turd which was Carry on Emmannuelle.

Norton Canes

Missed it on TP (I guess I should visit their catch-up site) but I watched the Rik Mayall scene on YT and... wow. I didn't expect the gags to be up to much but they really have managed to capture the 60's/70's air of complete shoddiness with astonishing accuracy.

(posted before seeing Blumf's post)

Julian Clary is quite wonderful in it, actually.

kaprisky

The Offence (1973) was on at the weekend and is repeated tonight. Equus (1977) is on Monday night (J. Agutter fans watch out!), and is followed by a repeat of Morons from Outer Space (J. Nail fans watch out!). London Live meanwhile have been trailing Wilt, which I haven't seen in a long time, if at all.

A few Richard Lester films are coming up: The Knack, The Bed Sitting Room and How I Won The War.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: kaprisky on March 09, 2022, 05:42:58 PMThe Offence (1973) was on at the weekend and is repeated tonight.

I saw this elsewhere last year and it's an excellent film, great cinematography and an unusual role for Connery.  Recommended.

Have always wanted to see Equus after the endless trails for it during the summer of 1982, in the build-up to Channel 4 starting in November, but somehow managed to miss it when it actually went out, so thank you for that.

Blumf

Quote from: kaprisky on March 09, 2022, 05:42:58 PMThe Offence (1973) was on at the weekend and is repeated tonight

Thanks for the reminder, I was planning to see this on the weekend but forgot.

Very interesting film. Fits in with the general 70s British police and crimes films, but much sharper. Gritty but not grimy. Very surprised it doesn't appear to have turned up much on TV, considering the star name, as it's really does give Connery something to work with that you don't often see from him.

Quote from: Ignatius_S on October 29, 2021, 03:40:27 PMIt's often said that's the main influence or what was being spoofed but Jeremy Lloyd, who came up with the idea for 'Allo 'Allo says that he hadn't seen the series as he wasn't in the country when it was shown and the series was sending up all manner of wartime films and series. I can certainly see how he would have got the idea without seeing Secret Army, but that doesn't mean that he would have been unaware of the show's popularity or that pitching that type of sitcom when that series was in the public's consciousness.

The 'firm aim' part was a comment on just how few airmen Lifeline actually send back to England. None in about four episodes. One, who might have been German, drowned in a canal lock.

It's improved since the first season but not helped by the main policeman being played by the same actor as in 'Allo 'Allo.

One thing I will add is just how good the main two German officers are. The Gestapo lad (Clifford Rose) starts a relationship in season 2 and he's playing it just like a slightly embarrassed school kid. For all that he's the often-brutal secret policeman, he's still scared of rejection. 

Anyway, belated RIP Ron Pember.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2022/mar/11/only-fools-and-horses-actor-ron-pember-dies-aged-87

Norton Canes

Not Talking Pictures, but it sounds like it should be: Netflix (UK) currently has Killing Dad (Or How To Love Your Mother), a 1989 British comedy starring Richard E. Grant and Julie Walters, among a cast of many other renowned British thesps.

According to the Wiki:

"Killing Dad is a 1989 British black comedy film adapted from Berg, a 1964 novel by the British experimental writer Ann Quin. It stars Richard E. Grant as Alistair Berg, a man who travels to a seaside town intending to murder the father who abandoned him and his mother many years earlier, and is now living in a dilapidated hotel with a much younger woman"

Also:

"Grant's book With Nails: The Film Diaries of Richard E. Grant, which covers most of the films he appeared in between 1987 and 1994, makes no mention of the film, though his personal website quotes him as describing it as 'a flick that played one week in the West End and then went straight to video' and that his hairstyle in it is 'the best thing about the film'"

Sounds like a must-watch!

kaprisky

Oh no, Ron Pember gone.

He and George Innes seemed to appear in absolutely everything in the 1960s to the 1980s. Regular viewers of TPTV will testify to this.

Add Peter Bowles to this and we'll be seeing those RIP captions before the shows on this channel.

Attila

Quote from: Norton Canes on March 17, 2022, 03:07:34 PMNot Talking Pictures, but it sounds like it should be: Netflix (UK) currently has Killing Dad (Or How To Love Your Mother), a 1989 British comedy starring Richard E. Grant and Julie Walters, among a cast of many other renowned British thesps.

According to the Wiki:

"Killing Dad is a 1989 British black comedy film adapted from Berg, a 1964 novel by the British experimental writer Ann Quin. It stars Richard E. Grant as Alistair Berg, a man who travels to a seaside town intending to murder the father who abandoned him and his mother many years earlier, and is now living in a dilapidated hotel with a much younger woman"

Also:

"Grant's book With Nails: The Film Diaries of Richard E. Grant, which covers most of the films he appeared in between 1987 and 1994, makes no mention of the film, though his personal website quotes him as describing it as 'a flick that played one week in the West End and then went straight to video' and that his hairstyle in it is 'the best thing about the film'"

Sounds like a must-watch!

Top tip for this! I've been a fan of REG since the late 1980s, when I don't think anyone in the US had ever heard of him, and I don't know this one. What a treat!

Norton Canes

Watched it last night, fantastic stuff. If you're a fan of those niche, 'what were they thinking?' 80's/90's odd British comedy movies then this is the motherlode.