Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:24:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

More inessential shit from the backwaters of old TV you somehow still remember

Started by non capisco, November 02, 2020, 11:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

non capisco

Quote from: PammySpacek on November 15, 2021, 03:04:34 PM
That was from a "Day At McDonald's" advert from around the same time, wasn't it? Started with a branch opening up at 6am or something, shots of muffins rising in an oven (as if they actually baked them themselves), and then onto a cast of slightly zany everyman characters up to "until late". The only other thing I remember from it is a bit where an elderly actress who's supposed to be a grandma to a baby holds up a wrapped hamburger to it and goes "What's this?". Baby looks at it appalled for a moment, and starts bawling. "Ooh no, no," says the actress, putting the burger down.

"ONE....CUPPA CHARRRRRRRRRRR!" was the other "famous" bit.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

One of the actresses in it had also previously been in " Grange Hill ", too, keen to follow the trajectory of former child actors from " Grange Hill" going on to being actors in the adult world. The lad who'd played Stewpot in " Grange Hill" went on to  achieve this aim ( Post- Carty and Tully, I think the next generation of Hillers were more realistic than to set their ambitions at such lofty heights) and reached the giddy heights of appearing, all older and slapheaded in an AutoTrader advert with the young Olivia Colman ( this advert has also recently been mentioned somewhere on this forum. Ah, the interconnectedness of it all!)

Anyway, the point is that McDonald's advert is quite a treasure trove of memories.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

"I vant... I vant... a Viscount."
"A Viscount? But I am a Prince!"
"I vant a Viscount you KLUTZ!"

Sonny_Jim

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on November 15, 2021, 09:58:11 PM
Anyway, the point is that McDonald's advert is quite a treasure trove of memories.
I'm amazed that anyone else would remember it TBH, but I guess that people of a certain age remember it because:

1.  There was fuck all to watch on telly, so the odds on seeing that particular advert were especially high
2.  We as kids were 'orrible little blighters and therefore any kind of strange accent or mannerism was ripe for mockery

If you wanted to get chinstroky about it, early memes innit.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

" One Big Mac.. *two* Big Macs...make it three."

Greedy Cunt.

The girl from " Grange Hill" had dyed blonde hair, and was saying " Chicken McNuggets" with an extremely pained expression on her face, looking up at the sign of delightful victuals on offer, the look on her fizzog  suggesting she'd only just been introduced to the concept of a chicken, let alone McNuggets.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Also, anybody else of a certain age remember the " Our Price" ad?

# psychedelia, psychedelia! #

Uncle TechTip

Max from EastEnders is in the Yellow Pages "french polishers" ad.

Also Max from EastEnders is the voice of the Geico gecko which has been on prime time US TV for about a decade.

Sonny_Jim

I remember showing my 10yr old Australian son the 'Accrington Stanley' advert to his utter bemusement, after casually dropping the reference and no one getting it.

I mean, everyone knows it, it's even got it's own Wikipedia page

Alberon

Not an advert but some local news thing. I'm sure I'm misremembering it, but I pray to god it's real.

It was a news story about a road being used for picking up prostitutes and how the female residents were continually being harassed by perverts in cars. A man being interviewed said they'd even tried to pick his wife up "And she's ugly!" Naturally, said wife is sat next to him and not a flicker of a reaction.

He probably actually said "And she's old!" But that's the way I like to remember it.

ProvanFan

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on November 16, 2021, 08:31:13 AM

Also Max from EastEnders is the voice of the Geico gecko which has been on prime time US TV for about a decade.

Did a triumphant double thumbs up gesture in a Super Noodles advert too

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on November 16, 2021, 08:31:13 AM

I remember the french polishers ad,  I also remember a comedy show (maybe Mary Whitehouse Exoerience?) doing a spoof of it with the final line changed to "Hello, clinic for physical deformities?  It's just possible you could save my life."

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on November 16, 2021, 12:20:57 PM
I also remember a comedy show (maybe Mary Whitehouse Exoerience?)

Yes - on the radio. They also did a spoof of the one with the family who bought a sit-on mower for their ageing gardener to use - "We noticed the garden's been getting a bit much for you, so you're sacked. Go on, piss off."

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on November 16, 2021, 12:20:57 PM
I remember the french polishers ad,  I also remember a comedy show (maybe Mary Whitehouse Exoerience?) doing a spoof of it with the final line changed to "Hello, clinic for physical deformities?  It's just possible you could save my life."
I think they did a few variations on the same line in one episode. It's been a long time since I listened to the radio MWE, but it was great.

Replies From View

It's getting harder and harder to think of any inessential shit from the backwaters of old TV that isn't now available on YouTube or somewhere.

For years Sammy's Super T-Shirt was a holy grail of mine, then it appeared online and DVD.  I vaguely remembered a school education programme called GERMS GERMS GERMS which emerged online as well, and of course The Boy From Space is so recognised as a classic now that it is more readily available than anything else on earth.

It's really only continuity stuff that is lost to time.  Broom Cupboard moments, for example.  Delighted that the Willy Fogg Day singalong with Andy Crane is online but there was tons more obscure stuff that just has an impossibly slim chance of existing.

As for that ostrich running to the Chariots of Fire music.  The footage is definitely the same as what was used in that Talk Talk video, but I remember it being juxtaposed alongside footage of a runner's legs at a starting block; maybe it was promoting the Olympics that year or something similar.  The Talk Talk video has some squiggly line animation stuff in the corner that would have grabbed my eye as much as the ostrich so I don't think it was that.  Definitely the same stock footage, though.  I completely remember the angles of the running, the framing of every shot and the open beak - endlessly wheeling itself forwards in slow motion with its beak open as if it was crying.  Chariots of Fire music.

non capisco

Got as far as finding out the BBC used Chariots Of Fire as the theme for their 1984 Olympics coverage but sadly Bernie Clifton's mate continues to remain elusive.

Mobbd

An episode of Dick and Dom in da Bungalow (it was after my time too but we all have bad days) in which a mad professor character (I assume one of their regular sidekicks/Sideshow Bob types) has a tarantula in a tank. The tarantula swims quite quickly across its moat and clambers up out of the tank. The kids in the audience are screaming and the professor says "don't worry children, fear is good!"

At the time, I thought this was a genuine minor crisis and that the professor did an excellent job of handling it and being funny in the moment on live(?) television. But now I wonder if it was a direct rip-off of that Larry Sanders Show episode. Dick and Dom did seem to be big comedy fans.

Anyone remember this?

George White

RE:mad scientists and Da BUngalow, I remember an episode where theyhad a girl dressed up as Dr. Frankenstain (sic), in a white fright wig and the music they played was the theme by Bernard Herrmann to Larry Cohen's It's Alive. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-sQEjVDew4&list=PLy5kryT0xrJO47VEAdR7XuDfiJSZKoalQ
As a kid, I remember noticing this, having never heard the music but knowing the film thanks to books, knowing it sounded 70s, and knowing that they would have used something Franken-themed, seen the title, presumed it was Frankenstein-related when in fact it's about a homicidal mutant baby.

Replies From View

For how long was Philip Schofield absolutely obsessed with the song Down Town?  It felt like the majority of my childhood summers.  Can anyone else remember this?

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: Replies From View on November 17, 2021, 12:18:53 PMIt's getting harder and harder to think of any inessential shit from the backwaters of old TV that isn't now available on YouTube or somewhere.
There's a couple of Irish public information films that I can't find on YouTube and may have just been nightmares. There's a fire safety one where a lit cigarette falls out of an ashtray that's been left on a blue sofa which of course catches fire and the whole house blazes away before a voiceover says "THIS FAMILY WAS LUCKY AND GOT OUT IN TIME". And there's another from way back that goes "Rabies kills! Agonisingly! Let's help keep it out of Ireland!"

Replies From View

Cerys

Quote from: Replies From View on November 18, 2021, 02:25:09 PMFor how long was Philip Schofield absolutely obsessed with the song Down Town?  It felt like the majority of my childhood summers.  Can anyone else remember this?

Yeah, I remember.  'Gordon - Bossa Nova!'

Icehaven

My other half has been using this foot powder called Daktarin recently and I couldn't think why the name sounded familiar, then I realised it was almost the same as Daktari, a largely forgotten show from 1960s about an American vet(erinarian) and his family living in Africa at an animal rescue centre. It must have been repeated in the UK in the 80s as I remember the title and seeing it a few times, but it's not as memorable as other similar animal based shows from around the same time like Gentle Ben and Flipper etc. and I don't think I've heard any mention of it in over 30 years. Had a cross eyed lion in it apparently.

George White

It was from the same producer as Flipper and Gentle Ben - Ivan Tors, who then did the basically identical Cowboy in Africa.

JesusAndYourBush

My only knowledge of Daktari comes from hearing a comedian mention it once sometime in the 80's, and from the scant information given I'd assumed it was a film rather than a series.

Gurke and Hare

Clarence the Cross-eyed Lion was a bit of a lazy comedy slag reference in the 80s.

elliszeroed

The Life and Times of Grizzly Adams

Watched it every Saturday as a lad, don't remember a single episode.

From that Wikipedia:
QuoteThe film portrays the somewhat fictional Grizzly Adams as a frontier woodsman who fled into the mountains after he was accused of a murder he didn't commit. While struggling to survive, Adams saves an orphaned grizzly bear cub he adopts and names Ben. The bear, while growing to its huge adult size, becomes Adams' closest companion. Consistently kind and gentle, Adams discovers and demonstrates an uncanny ability to gain the trust of most of the indigenous wildlife of the region, and he helps, sometimes rescues, takes in and tames many species. Originally a hunter, with his learned affection for wildlife Adams resolves never to harm another animal whenever possible.

Maybe one of those shows where you only vaguely remember the first five minutes before zoning out.

Apparently the real John Adams had some kind of relationship to President John Adams, 2nd President of the United States and, if the HBO series is true, a bit of a curmudgeon with an inferiority complex.

Replies From View

Quote from: George White on December 03, 2021, 12:06:17 PMIt was from the same producer as Flipper and Gentle Ben - Ivan Tors, who then did the basically identical Cowboy in Africa.

Was it possible to watch Gentle Ben without feeling nauseous?  Genuine question, because I couldn't manage.

jobotic

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on December 03, 2021, 07:02:50 PMClarence the Cross-eyed Lion was a bit of a lazy comedy slag reference in the 80s.

Didn't Judge Nutmeg make defendants take an oath whilst holding a Daktari annual?

George White

For years I thought it was a British show. I had some merchandise from it as a kid (Corgi toy car), and because it was colonial and the idea of a cross-eyed lion seemed kind of British absurdist humour to me, and also the BBC heavily ran it, but no, MGM/CBS, shot in Africa USA, in Hollywood.
Also, featured that bread and butter of US TV, classically trained African-American acting luminaries  trying to keep straight faces, doing the old jungle "mumbo-jumbo" as stereotype witch doctors and tribesmen.  Here, future Oscar nominees Louis Gossett and Paul Winfield, Glynn Turman (from Daktari to The Wire), Otis Young (The Last Detail), Clarence Williams III, trailer voiceover giants Adolph "nin-jer" Caesar and Percy "Jaws" Rodrigues, Robert "Robocop" DoQui, Dirty Harry regular Albert Popwell, blaxploitation staple Hari Rhodes, D'Urville "Dolemite" Martin, old-timers Rex Ingram  and Clarence Muse, and Godfrey Cambridge.

KennyMonster

"Three Lions on a shirt,
they could be from Harare,
hope they're not coross-eyed,
like that one from Daktari."

one of the funny trial lines on the Euro 96 Audio CD compilation, as written by David Baddiel and comedian Frank Skinner.