Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:45:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

International travel rules announced

Started by Fambo Number Mive, May 07, 2021, 06:32:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inspector Norse

Quote from: Mobbd on November 01, 2021, 03:35:41 PM
Just wanted to report that I visited Paris for a few days and it all worked fairly well.

We were asked for our NHS vaccine pass at the outgoing airport. The app failed briefly but came back to life after a refresh. I also knew I had the paper version to fall back on if needed (which it wasn't).

The FFP2 mask I think we were told in advance to wear on the plane was not expected. Few other passengers had brought one. France, however, insists on blue surgical masks (no cloth masks)[nb]https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/25/france-bans-homemade-covid-masks-public[/nb], which we only learned at the airport but thankfully they were available from the airline team at the gate.

The sworn statement we had to sign, declaring we had no covid symptoms, was asked about at the outgoing airport but not taken from us or looked at closely. It was neither asked for nor taken at Paris airport.

The various post-Brexit bits and bobs like proof of savings, proof of travel insurance, address of hotel, return ticket were not asked for at either airport.

In Paris itself, the domestic AntiCovid app was asked for in most places we visited. A member of staff or a special greeter would scan it with ease and we all got on with our lives. Great stuff.

So yeah, it all worked well. The people of Paris seem sensible with mask use and distancing. The Metro was busier than one would like and I saw a few nose-breathers but nothing compared to England.[nb]I live in Glasgow where I'd say people are about 70-80% sensible but I visited my family in the Midlands recently and it's like they've all completely forgotten about covid and I felt embarrassed/non-conformist to wear my mask in a busy marketplace[/nb] Most Parisians I saw even wear their surgical masks outdoors.

The Day 2 covid test on return was a piece of piss but annoyingly expensive at £68 where England (I believe) can use cheapsies.

Happy to answer experience-based questions concerning covid- and documentation-based nervousness should anyone ask.

I'm in France right now.

Had to scan my vaccine QR code at the airport and when going to a large event (ie the football game we went to yesterday), otherwise nothing, and things like masks are pretty loosely policed. Haven't had to show anyone the sworn statement at all yet. Have to have Bluetooth activated for the French app to do its contact tracing but it hasn't notified us about anything yet.

Then again I got EU citizenship last year and travelled here from a Schengen country. Can imagine that combining this stuff with all the Brexit bollocks is a ballache.

Attila

The info about Paris was much appreciated, Mobbd.

I'm flying back to the USA in January for the first time in two years (finally to arrange a funeral) -- I think I need to have a PCR test three days ahead of flying out? I've not been to any on-site centres here in the UK: are they super expensive? I'm flying on 3 January, so will tesdting centres even be open on the 31st December, 1st or 2nd, or am I doomed?*

(I have a USA passport, because I'm not allowed to enter the States on my UK one -- they won't recognise dual citizenship).

*I'm probably doomed as I have to fly in to Florida.

nugget

I also have to travel to the USA in the new year and my understanding is that you (currently) need to have a less than 3 day old negative test if you're fully vaccinated, and 1 day old if not vaccinated. The testing requirement came as something of a surprise to me, but I think it's quite reasonable considering there will be hundreds of people crammed into a sealed tube for 9+ hours. Antigen 'quick' tests are acceptable, which makes timing things much easier, and they're typically a lot cheaper. I don't live in the UK, but I'll be amazed if all the testing centres there are closed for three consecutive days. If I was flying on the 3rd of January, I'd try to get a quick test booked in for Friday 31st, since New Year's Eve is still technically a normal working day.

Alternatively, you could just go out and catch Covid now, which would exclude you from the testing requirement and save a lot of hassle.

Mobbd

Quote from: Attila on November 02, 2021, 05:29:13 AM
The info about Paris was much appreciated, Mobbd.

I'm flying back to the USA in January for the first time in two years (finally to arrange a funeral) -- I think I need to have a PCR test three days ahead of flying out? I've not been to any on-site centres here in the UK: are they super expensive? I'm flying on 3 January, so will tesdting centres even be open on the 31st December, 1st or 2nd, or am I doomed?*

(I have a USA passport, because I'm not allowed to enter the States on my UK one -- they won't recognise dual citizenship).

*I'm probably doomed as I have to fly in to Florida.

I can't directly answer those questions because I only went to France and the entry requirements are different for each country, but that all sounds about right. For a starting point on researching the process, this should be your page I reckon (I used the France equivalent): https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/usa/entry-requirements

The "post-Brexit" documents I mentioned in my post are required for all international travel, I think. I mean, I say "required" but that's a massive overstatement. It's just that a border agent *might* ask about your savings/return ticket etc[nb]Many years ago, I was asked for the address of where I'd be staying in New York City at the JFK airport border; I didn't have the address because I'd simply arranged to meet a friend at Grand Central Station. I managed to get through, but the border guard was pissed and I will not make that mistake again![/nb], and if you're a slightly nervous traveller like I am these days, it feels good to have the actual documents to hand (I had perhaps six sheets of paper, which I put in an envelope next to a magazine in my cabin shoulder bag) instead of suddenly needing to futz around with your phone in an unfamiliar environment with a queue behind you.

I'm sure the test centres will be open over New Years. Check in advance though!

Attila

Cheers, both, thanks for the links and info!

Now to find the centres themselves in my local area....

Not worried about producing docs about my savings/return ticket to the USA because I'll be going into the country on my American passport, so they just figure I'm returning to the land of the free and the home of the brave. Return trip is to the uk, which I do on my British passport (and I'm ok with everything needed for that leg of the trip on the back of experience coming back here from Spain last Sept). So in both directions, I'm going home.

But yeah, when I was coming and going to Spain, I had everything as a hard copy as I don't have a phone with internet capability and did not feel like lugging a laptop around in the airport and faffing with it.

As for addresses, before I became a British citizen and before I had the leave to remain, I always gave my address as 96 Euston NW1 2DB when required on landing cards or at Heathrow Border Control.

Mostly just need to find ye olde testing centre here in Britain so I can return to my native planet.

beanheadmcginty

NHS vaccination QR code is now being accepted in the Netherlands if any of you lot fancy coming over for a cannabis-fuelled canal clog orgy in Rutger Hauer's orange tulip windmill brothel.

Johnny Foreigner

Is anyone planning to go to Germany over the yuletide? We would be flying directly into Frankfurt, then get a train.
Would it be sufficient if we took the NHS letters which confirm we have had our two jabs?

I can probably find this information online somewhere, but this forum seems more trustworthy.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

There now.

It's a volatile situation so I wouldn't make any plans to visit Germany over that period at all. Even this trip seems touch and go.

Johnny Foreigner

Aye, but it's really my partner who wants to spend Weihnachten with her family in deepest Franconia again, like we used to do before the pandemic. It's all been booked for months now. I am not sure whether PCR tests will be asked for, and I gather Germany requires these special approved masks as well, not just any old face covering. Lufthansa is more expensive than KLM, but they fly directly to Germany rather than stopping over in France or the Netherlands.
I have only got an NHS letter to prove I have been twice vaccinated. On top of that, I am still waiting for the Home Office to confirm my new passport; it's been nearly a month now.

Mobbd

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on November 16, 2021, 11:55:31 PM
There now.

It's a volatile situation so I wouldn't make any plans to visit Germany over that period at all. Even this trip seems touch and go.

How so? I read about the higher-than-normal case rates and the likely introduction of so-called 2G measures[nb]https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/nov/16/germany-set-to-tighten-rules-for-unvaccinated-as-covid-cases-rise[/nb]. But so long as a person is masked and vaxed (and able to show it), what sort of problems/volatility are we talking about?

buttgammon

No lockdown in Ireland, just a midnight closing time for nightclubs. We're going to do the same as last year, which is wait until we're completely beyond breaking point and go into a six month lockdown at Christmas.

Mobbd

Quote from: bgmnts on November 19, 2021, 11:01:25 AMThe whole of Europe is in lockdown now so dunno what that'll mean for travel.

I don't know what's happening over there right now but the link you posted says "Germany, Austria, and Slovakia have introduced restrictions on unvaccinated citizens, with two Austrian states going into full lockdown from next week." That's not "the whole of Europe is in lockdown". It's barely anything really.

The UK government travel advice for France (for example) does not suggest there is currently any disruption to travel beyond what I personally experienced and described above/on the previous page. https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/france/coronavirus

bgmnts

Quote from: Mobbd on November 19, 2021, 02:57:46 PMI don't know what's happening over there right now but the link you posted says "Germany, Austria, and Slovakia have introduced restrictions on unvaccinated citizens, with two Austrian states going into full lockdown from next week." That's not "the whole of Europe is in lockdown". It's barely anything really.

The UK government travel advice for France (for example) does not suggest there is currently any disruption to travel beyond what I personally experienced and described above/on the previous page. https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/france/coronavirus

Yeah I was just taking the piss out of the article heading really.

I was looking in the Dutch government's website this week and came across a list of countries that are considered "very high risk".

Fr.Bigley

High risk and Shit. Wow, well done UK. Time to emigrate methinks.

nugget

Well, I'd prefer to be in the UK rather than Germany right now.

shoulders

Quote from: nugget on November 24, 2021, 12:34:30 AMWell, I'd prefer to be in the UK rather than Germany right now.

I returned for this reason on Sunday.

Mask wearing is near 100% over there in public transport and shops and there are checks at every bar and restaurant for vaccines. It isn't suppressing this.

Another winter lockdown is on the cards for them and Poland, Hungary, Austria, Slovakia, etc

Johnny Foreigner

Being in Scotland, I am used to masking up on public transport and in shops, but there is not much point spending Crimbo in Forchheim if everything is shut. The Christmas Markets both there and in Nuremberg have been cancelled again, which is counterintuitive as they are in the open air and spacious. I fear not being able even to partake of a tavern libation would undo the very point of the undertaking.

the science eel

I've booked for Berlin for Xmas and not sure if I'll even be able to enter the country.

Just back from Italy, by the way, and there were absolutely NO COVID CHECKS of any kind at Milan Malpensa when I arrived.

Bari was lovely, whoever suggested that. Thank you.

the science eel

Quote from: Johnny Foreigner on November 16, 2021, 08:05:08 PMIs anyone planning to go to Germany over the yuletide? We would be flying directly into Frankfurt, then get a train.
Would it be sufficient if we took the NHS letters which confirm we have had our two jabs?

I can probably find this information online somewhere, but this forum seems more trustworthy.

I've just seen this.

I'm pretty sure that as well as the NHS letters (the QR code on the left was the one I needed to show to enter restaurants and museums in Italy) you'll need a passenger locator form, which is straightforward - just fill it out via gov.uk and enter the details of the address you'll be staying at in Germany. Print it out and attach a digital copy to your airline app thing.

Johnny Foreigner

shoulders

Quote from: the science eel on November 24, 2021, 12:13:07 PMBari was lovely, whoever suggested that. Thank you.

I think I probably banged on about Bari at some point. If so, then you're welcome.

shoulders

Quote from: Johnny Foreigner on November 24, 2021, 12:10:43 PMBeing in Scotland, I am used to masking up on public transport and in shops, but there is not much point spending Crimbo in Forchheim if everything is shut. The Christmas Markets both there and in Nuremberg have been cancelled again, which is counterintuitive as they are in the open air and spacious. I fear not being able even to partake of a tavern libation would undo the very point of the undertaking.

The open air isn't the problem so much as the tight crowding. Look at your breath when it's cold, look at the vapour and how it travels. Do you want to be cheek to cheek with dozens of strangers (even outdoors) knowing the new strain of Delta is even more infectious? Not sure I would except maybe if I wore a mask, which would defeat part of visit, eg. munching on stollen and drinking Gluhwein.

All the same, bars and restaurants are open and there are very many excellent ones in Nuremberg, Furth, Forchheim, Bamberg etc. Some are safer than being huddled in a Xmas market.

shoulders

Slovakia now in a full 2 week lockdown. I wonder what governments will do given that unvaccinated people are basically wrecking the economy. Vast majority in hospital over there are unvaccinated.

It has flipped around: where the antimask/antivax crew are now in a clearly anti-business, anti-economy position.

shoulders

Czechia introducing 5pm closing in pubs. Hmm feels like we have been here before.

the science eel

Quote from: shoulders on November 25, 2021, 08:14:38 PMCzechia introducing 5pm closing in pubs. Hmm feels like we have been here before.

oh THAT'll go down well!

beanheadmcginty

Everything here in Amsterdam is closing at 8pm again, except weirdly the cinema where you can sit cheek by jowl in a crowded auditorium unmasked all night. Can't buy popcorn or a drink in concessions after 8pm, but absolutely nothing stopping you coughing covid onto hundreds of Marvel fans whenever you feel like it.

nugget

Quote from: shoulders on November 24, 2021, 08:34:53 AMI returned for this reason on Sunday.

Mask wearing is near 100% over there in public transport and shops and there are checks at every bar and restaurant for vaccines. It isn't suppressing this.

Another winter lockdown is on the cards for them and Poland, Hungary, Austria, Slovakia, etc

In Saxony, we effectively have lockdown for unvaccinated people now, and businesses such as Gyms, Theaters, etc., have shut down again. The Christmas markets are up and looking lovely but will also have to remain shut. It's the worst hit state in Germany, and coincidentally also has the lowest vaccination rate at 57%.  Supposedly it's only for three weeks, but they're already talking about extending the lockdown measures for everybody, and I can imagine similar measures being introduced in other states as rates will inevitably continue to rise. It's tempting to blame the 'vaccine hesitant' for this, and I do, in part, since they're the ones clogging up the local hospitals to such an extent that we're having to export patients to Italy and Portugal, but the local authorities did the very German thing of making it as inconvenient and annoying as possible to get vaccinated, which also won't have helped. I'd like to get a booster jab soon, but it's not even possible to book a vaccination at the moment. You have to go and queue up in the freezing cold for hours outside one of the few mobile vaccination centres without any guarantee of actually receiving one. It's no surprise that the on-the-fence unvaccinated have not come running to get their jabs.