Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:18:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

International travel rules announced

Started by Fambo Number Mive, May 07, 2021, 06:32:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buttgammon

When I was out of the country for a few days in October, I flew back Ryanair and nobody checked my locator form at either end, including airline staff and Irish border security. It was properly scrutinised when I was on a ferry a few months earlier though.

Johnny Foreigner

Javid says: 'No need to cancel Christmas party plans'. Phew, that's a relief. This can only mean I can attend my usual Christmas party with my partner's family near Forchheim.

the science eel

Can anyone tell me exactly what this 2G thing entails for people visiting Germany?

I'm worried that some sites are saying that you need to show proof of vaccination that's less than 6 months and more than 14 days old. Mine is now more than 6 months old but I'm going to get the booster just two days before travelling.

Johnny Foreigner

2G means that anyone who has either been vaccinated against or recovered from Covid is allowed entry to public and/or private venues. I cannot find the requirements which you cite. Vaccinated Germans have an Impfnachweis (a yellow booklet) from the federal Health Ministry, but as a UK resident, I don't see how you could prove your vaccination status in any other way than by the NHS letter.
For entry to 2G zones, the state of Berlin now only accepts machine-readable formats, i.e., a QR code, which can be obtained in pharmacies. I am not sure, but you might try and take your NHS letter to a German pharmacy and ask for the code. Perhaps they could print one for you.

The reason seems to be that over 3000 of these yellow booklets have been forged.
https://www.berliner-zeitung.de/news/corona-impfnachweis-wird-das-gelbe-heft-zum-auslaufmodell-li.197258

the science eel

Thanks JF. The QR code I have worked fine in Italy - hopefully the same in Germany. It's just that it'll be very new

shoulders

Yep, also I would say don't over think it. If you keep your mask, vax qr codes and photo Id on you you're sorted.

Some scanners wouldn't pick up on the NHS qr code but you can ask to sign in on paper in some places too.

All trip, maybe visiting 80 odd places there was only 1 that wouldn't let me in after the QR code failed, and that was a late bar where the Google reviews say the bouncer is a cunt.

the science eel

the science eel

So now we all have to get jabbed before returning to the UK...

Mobbd

Quote from: the science eel on December 04, 2021, 08:35:48 PMSo now we all have to get jabbed before returning to the UK...

Do you mean tested?

Johnny Foreigner

There, booked on-site PCR tests not far from Edinburgh airport. 120 smackeroonies I'll never get back. Bastards.

nugget

It seems that 2G+ is becoming more common in public venues across Germany now, which means you have to have a negative test result no older than 24 hours in addition to proof of vaccination. I had to stay in a Hotel in Hanover a couple of days ago and the 2G+ requirement was in place, which completely took me by surprise, but the Hotel was able to sell me a quick test for €5 that I could take (unsupervised) on the spot. I showed the result to the reception staff and they printed me out a test 'certificate' on the hotel's standard headed notepaper, which also allowed me access to a local restaurant without raising any eyebrows. To be honest, I'm pretty sure anybody could just mock up a professional looking test certificate and it would still be accepted everywhere. There seems to be no control/understanding over who is actually authorised to issue these things.

Zetetic

Quote from: nugget on November 26, 2021, 06:10:01 PMGermany did relatively well in 2020 at controlling the first wave
Had a tonne more healthcare capacity to play with, across the country, of course.

the science eel

Quote from: nugget on December 09, 2021, 11:45:18 AMIt seems that 2G+ is becoming more common in public venues across Germany now, which means you have to have a negative test result no older than 24 hours in addition to proof of vaccination. I had to stay in a Hotel in Hanover a couple of days ago and the 2G+ requirement was in place, which completely took me by surprise, but the Hotel was able to sell me a quick test for €5 that I could take (unsupervised) on the spot. I showed the result to the reception staff and they printed me out a test 'certificate' on the hotel's standard headed notepaper, which also allowed me access to a local restaurant without raising any eyebrows. To be honest, I'm pretty sure anybody could just mock up a professional looking test certificate and it would still be accepted everywhere. There seems to be no control/understanding over who is actually authorised to issue these things.

So if the cert needs to have been issued the same day or the day before entry, you'll need to be tested every day, right? if you're visiting cafes, restaurants, galleries.

I'm worried now about my Xmas break in Berlin, this kind of thing is going to sink it altogether.

nugget

Quote from: the science eel on December 09, 2021, 03:02:33 PMSo if the cert needs to have been issued the same day or the day before entry, you'll need to be tested every day, right? if you're visiting cafes, restaurants, galleries.

I'm worried now about my Xmas break in Berlin, this kind of thing is going to sink it altogether.

It depends on where you're going. Each state has its own set of rules, which is why I was caught out. In Lower Saxony, 2G-Plus is widespread now, although they're thinking of getting red of the test requirement for people who've had a booster jab. In my Saxony, we only have '2G', so the test is not required, although restaurants and bars have to close at 8 pm. I think Berlin only has 2G at the moment, and has relatively lenient restrictions.

the science eel

Thanks! I guess if they don't let me in I'll have to nip off sharpish and get tested, hoping they'll wait.

I imagine cheap cafes and the like won't be too fussed about anything more than a QR code.

nugget

Quote from: the science eel on December 17, 2021, 01:11:47 PMHanging on...

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/german-govt-considers-classifying-britain-virus-variant-area-2021-12-17/

I also saw the Guardian reporting this, but I'm not seeing it being reported in the German press so far, only something about a regional politician calling for the UK to be reclassified as a virus variant area. It would mean my Christmas plans are out the window for the second year in a row, which sucks for me.

the science eel

No updates, and as it's 6.30 pm in Germany and the weekend is here, I'm hopeful nothing will change now before 2022.

Johnny Foreigner

Ferris

Quote from: Johnny Foreigner on December 17, 2021, 06:15:37 PMhttps://www.stern.de/news/reisen-grossbritannien-bald-corona-virusvariantengebiet--31432262.html

They'll have to hurry, because I'm flying off on Monday morning.

Chasing the plane down the tarmac waving bits of paper as you jet off to freedom in The West.

nugget

Germany usually review the travel rules every Friday and publish them on the RKI website. They just (like 15 minutes ago) published this week's update, and the UK's status hasn't changed. I've been stressing out about this all afternoon, so this is a relief.

Risikogebiete_aktuell_en.pdf

the science eel

So if the UK's status changes next Friday, what would that mean for Brit tourists who are already in Germany?

I suppose I'm thinking aloud here...

Johnny Foreigner

Good to know, cheers. I'll lock up the office and fill out the Einreiseanmeldung when I get home.

https://www.einreiseanmeldung.de

nugget

Quote from: the science eel on December 17, 2021, 06:30:03 PMSo if the UK's status changes next Friday, what would that mean for Brit tourists who are already in Germany?

I suppose I'm thinking aloud here...

If you're already here then you're fine, you'll only have to worry about whatever random brain farts Boris's lot will have while you're away.

Johnny Foreigner

I think I'm all cleared to go now... The RKI Einreiseanmeldung is quite a convoluted procedure with two different PIN codes, but my British vaccination document seems to have been accepted.

I'll let my girl-friend take care of all the certificates; she has one of them 'smart-phone' thingies.

peanutbutter

Can't see new travel restrictions being added next week in many places, and major ones mid-Christmas would presumably be a political disaster too so it's probably just gonna go wild until January 4th

the science eel

So UK folk don't need any kind of negative test result to ENTER Germany, is that right?

It's not entirely clear from the sites I've looked at.

https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/en/coronavirus/2317268

Johnny Foreigner

You need either a negative test result or a vaccination certificate or proof that you have recovered from Covid. Any of these three will do.

If you scan your NHS letter and upload it to the Einreiseanmeldung with the Robert Koch Institute, you will receive from them a PDF file in return.

In all likelihood, you will subsequently need both your vaccination letter and said PDF from the Robert Koch Institute in order to fill in the data required by the airline (at least Lufthansa requires this).

Once that procedure is completed, you can check in for your flight within the allocated time frame.

the science eel