Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:44:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

International travel rules announced

Started by Fambo Number Mive, May 07, 2021, 06:32:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the science eel

No - just got this:

Updated information that from 23:01 on 19 December, only German citizens and residents may travel to Germany from the UK (there are limited exemptions). Permitted travellers must now have proof of a negative Covid test, regardless of vaccination status. All permitted travellers arriving in Germany after 23:01 on 19 December must quarantine at home for 14 days irrespective of their vaccination status.

Johnny Foreigner

In the process of cancelling everything. Fine, then, there will be no Christmas.

the science eel

Sorry, JF. I'm doing the same, not that it helps.

Looking at flights to Krakow...

peanutbutter

Has anyone cancelled their christmas plans over the last week purely of their own accord?

It's looking like I probably can travel and travel back, but it's seeming a bit ridiculous when I can quite easily just travel in February or March instead. Obviously this is less doable for others who may not be able to co-ordinate a full family gathering as easily but I'm surprised I've yet to hear anyone I know cancel their plans of their own accord.

mothman

MrsMoth has a German staff member who's going there on Tuesday. So after the cut-off. This person is a complete waste of space and tries it on all the time, so she's looking forward to them trying to claim their enforced now-two-week stay in the Fatherland shouldn't have to come out of annual leave.

nugget

Quote from: Johnny Foreigner on December 18, 2021, 11:17:13 PMIn the process of cancelling everything. Fine, then, there will be no Christmas.

Yeah, it fucking sucks. Second year in a row.

nugget

Quote from: mothman on December 19, 2021, 02:20:58 AMMrsMoth has a German staff member who's going there on Tuesday. So after the cut-off. This person is a complete waste of space and tries it on all the time, so she's looking forward to them trying to claim their enforced now-two-week stay in the Fatherland shouldn't have to come out of annual leave.

Presumably they are (or, were) planning to go home to spend Christmas with family, rather than it being some plot they conjured up in the middle of the night to gain some free holiday leave? There's a good chance they couldn't go home last year either. I don't know if they're really a 'waste of space', but a little more understanding may be in order here.

shoulders

I appreciate some people will have little flexibility due to personal circumstances but if you have a choice and chose to try and travel abroad between December and January after seeing how last year went down, surely what happened last year, where we could barely do anything until April should have been a big warning.

nugget

Quote from: shoulders on December 19, 2021, 11:14:07 AMI appreciate some people will have little flexibility due to personal circumstances but if you have a choice and chose to try and travel abroad between December and January after seeing how last year went down, surely what happened last year, where we could barely do anything until April should have been a big warning.

I don't think this year is comparable to last winter. They couldn't have known that omicron was going to appear and trigger a fresh wave of lockdowns amongst mostly vaccinated populations. There's also a good reason why people 'choose' to travel at this time of year specifically, it shouldn't be held against them.

shoulders

When you say held against them I am only meaning in terms me stating their foolishness and poor decision making, I am not suggesting we place them in the stocks or used in any further way than that. I just think it's a shame for someone to have brought disappointment on themselves which could have been avoided.

I can see you are more sympathetic but I think it was totally foreseeable even if Omicron had not emerged that Christmas and January at least would be a no go zone for foreign travel due to the seasonal factors that spread the virus.

It was never going to vanish from a threat which crippled us for the winter and into mid Spring to something we had that level of control over in the space of one year. All available evidence pointed to that.

Johnny Foreigner

Impossible to get through to Lufthansa, both on the UK and the German number. Changing the flight online is not working.
I don't mind so much for my own sake, but the girl-friend will not be having her family Christmas again this year.
We might try and move it to April and make a longer holiday of it, but that would require, first and foremost, getting through to the airline before the flight was supposed to take off.

Christmas, of course, was the very reason why we were planning to go to Germany. Why does anyone go there in late December?

nugget

Yeah, I'm not looking forward to the rebooking ordeal. Thankfully I can wait a few days until the initial rush has passed. My first, completely irrational, thought this morning was to book a flight to Prague instead, take a train over the border, and lie on the Einreiseanmeldung, but that would be stupid for various reasons.

In the meantime, there will be several Premier League matches today in the UK with stadiums rammed with tens of thousands of fans. Doesn't seem like the best idea somehow.

Crenners

Feel like pure shit just wanna go to Framconio

mothman

Quote from: nugget on December 19, 2021, 11:12:47 AMPresumably they are (or, were) planning to go home to spend Christmas with family, rather than it being some plot they conjured up in the middle of the night to gain some free holiday leave? There's a good chance they couldn't go home last year either. I don't know if they're really a 'waste of space', but a little more understanding may be in order here.
I understand the point you're trying to make, but they have been back to Germany this year (I can't remember about last Christmas) at the drop of a hat and at the cost of a great deal of disruption and inconvenience to the rest of the team who had to work harder and longer and change their own plans to cover for their absence.

And if THAT'S not spicy enough for you, then there's the fact that my wife's quite reasonable attempts to manage this Teutonic car-crash led to an unwarranted accusation of workplace bullying, which (combined with all sorts of other disruptions the public health services are going through right now) likely led to the cardiac arrest my wife suffered two months ago. So fuck them forever.

Johnny Foreigner

There, rearranged the flights after only three hours in the phone queue.

I think we'll just have a cosy trip to Tesco for Christmas.

nugget

Quote from: mothman on December 19, 2021, 01:41:54 PMI understand the point you're trying to make, but they have been back to Germany this year (I can't remember about last Christmas) at the drop of a hat and at the cost of a great deal of disruption and inconvenience to the rest of the team who had to work harder and longer and change their own plans to cover for their absence.

And if THAT'S not spicy enough for you, then there's the fact that my wife's quite reasonable attempts to manage this Teutonic car-crash led to an unwarranted accusation of workplace bullying, which (combined with all sorts of other disruptions the public health services are going through right now) likely led to the cardiac arrest my wife suffered two months ago. So fuck them forever.

I did the something similar in the summer (in the opposite direction) when it suddenly became possible to make the trip after many months of it being impossible and having not seen my family for the best part of a year. Luckily my job is unimportant so I wasn't really missed, and my manager was fine with it.

I'm sorry to hear about your wife's heart attack. That's shit and I hope she's OK.

mothman

Thank you. She is, as far as we can tell.

Attila

I was meant to go out to the USA in early January for most of the month to try to settle my mother's estate & see finally to the funeral -- way too much of a faff with all of the uncertainty. Got a voucher from BA which I've just put towards a trip in April to stay with friends in Baltimore, instead. Maybe try again to get out to my brother's later in the year.

Neville Chamberlain

British resident in Germany here. Christmas in the UK cancelled again.

Thanks, Corbyn.

Bronzy

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on December 20, 2021, 08:04:04 AMBritish resident in Germany here. Christmas in the UK cancelled again.

Thanks, Corbyn.

Peace for our time, eh?

mothman

Sorry to hear that Nev.

My wife's team member has decided not to go home to Germany. They are reportedly bewailing being alone this Christmas.
Spoiler alert
Alone... with her "lodger," her personal trainer who moved in with her to "keep costs down" about five minutes after she threw her husband out! 🤔
[close]
I mean, I did feel bad about that momentarily, I'm not a complete monster.

the science eel

We're free to travel to Germany now if we're fully vaccinated. For what it's worth

shoulders

Uk gov rolling back PCR requirements. Feels early given the situation but at this point pretty much everyone on a plane with someone with Omicron is getting Omicron, mask or nae mask.

shoulders

https://www.tripsguard.com/

Apologies if already posted but this is a really good site idea. Collates all data and you essentially put in where you're starting and where you're going and it tells you what the current requirements are.

mothman

katzenjammer

Nice idea but

QuoteTripsGuard is getting information from hundreds of different sources – our information might not be 100% accurate and you should always do further checks before making plans.

Attila

I'm off to the USA, a third attempt to get home, on 11 April -- I think the US requires the fit-to-fly PCR test (within 24 hours of arrival into the US). Is it just best to book one at Heathrow the day before, and just stay overnight near the airport? It's expensive if you go with the 'results in four hours' one, but we live about 90 minutes away from the airport, and I can't find any place local that does them that doesn't seem dodgy/takes 24 hours to get results/is even more expensive that the Heathrow ones.

It's stressing me out more than the actual trip. :(

Has anyone flown from the UK to the USA recently? I'm headed over on my American passport because the US won't recognise my UK one, so as far as I know I just need the PCR results and the passport.

Any advice much appreciated, ta :D

Dex Sawash

They may not let you in Florida if you have been tested.

beanheadmcginty

Quote from: Attila on March 13, 2022, 08:20:20 PMI'm off to the USA, a third attempt to get home, on 11 April -- I think the US requires the fit-to-fly PCR test (within 24 hours of arrival into the US). Is it just best to book one at Heathrow the day before, and just stay overnight near the airport? It's expensive if you go with the 'results in four hours' one, but we live about 90 minutes away from the airport, and I can't find any place local that does them that doesn't seem dodgy/takes 24 hours to get results/is even more expensive that the Heathrow ones.

It's stressing me out more than the actual trip. :(

Has anyone flown from the UK to the USA recently? I'm headed over on my American passport because the US won't recognise my UK one, so as far as I know I just need the PCR results and the passport.

Any advice much appreciated, ta :D

Just use this website to find out what you need:

https://www.covid19-testing.org/country-page