Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:41:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

More inessential shit from the backwaters of old TV you somehow still remember

Started by non capisco, November 02, 2020, 11:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KennyMonster

Quote from: KennyMonster on December 04, 2021, 05:25:50 PM"Three Lions on a shirt,
they could be from Harare,
hope they're not coross-eyed,
like that one from Daktari."

one of the funny trial lines on the Euro 96 Audio CD compilation, as written by David Baddiel and comedian Frank Skinner.

"Three Lions on a shirt,
Pickles has found a bone - look,
Do it for Millichip, Bert,
as he's listed in The Phone Book."

Ambient Sheep

Daktari was regularly shown in the 70s when I was a kid.

According to Genome it was first shown on BBC1 on Mon 17th Oct 1966 at 18:17, last shown Fri 7th Jan 1977 at 09:50 on BBC1.

Although BBC2 last showed the original film, Clarence the Cross-Eyed Lion (1965) on Fri 1st Sep 1995, 11:30, first shown on BBC1 on Tue 24th Apr 1984, 14:25.

Weird that it was so long after the series itself.

jamiefairlie

It was a staple of "Robinson Crusoe" era summer holiday morning slots alongside Herge's Adventures of Tintin, White Horses and The Singing Ringing Tree.

Armed Traffic Warden

Around 2005 -ish there was a tv special, I think promoted as Halloween's 'The Snowman' that was a non speaking animation with prog rock style music. I clearly recall pumpkins flying around to psychedelic/prog music. I suspect it was 23minutes long (30 minutes with breaks).
It may have been on Sky One. I don't remember it being very good but I do remember it; which is more than the internet does because I can't find a single reference to it.

Glebe

Replies From View

George White

Quote from: Armed Traffic Warden on December 10, 2021, 09:23:26 AMAround 2005 -ish there was a tv special, I think promoted as Halloween's 'The Snowman' that was a non speaking animation with prog rock style music. I clearly recall pumpkins flying around to psychedelic/prog music. I suspect it was 23minutes long (30 minutes with breaks).
It may have been on Sky One. I don't remember it being very good but I do remember it; which is more than the internet does because I can't find a single reference to it.
Pumpkin Moon?

kalowski

I just have this vague memory of Cloppa Castle having a great theme tune, some puppets, and nothing else.

Armed Traffic Warden

Quote from: George White on December 11, 2021, 08:58:41 AMPumpkin Moon?

Thanks for the help

Disappointingly I think you might be right. It looks like it's  one of those things that has vaguely rattles around your (my) brain from when you first watch it and then when you see a it years later it's nothing like the malformed memory.
  Another for the case against using memory based evidence in court!

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on November 16, 2021, 08:31:13 AMMax from EastEnders is in the Yellow Pages "french polishers" ad.

Also Max from EastEnders is the voice of the Geico gecko which has been on prime time US TV for about a decade.

Max was also in Le Cafe des Reves, which was an educational mini series set in Lille shown in French lessons at school in the early 90's. I think he played a homeless Englishman who broke into the eponymous cafe for a place to sleep, but ended up being befriended by the owners.

Sonny_Jim

The theme tune to 'Howards Way' makes me feel sad because it used to mean 'time to go to bed'.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on December 11, 2021, 05:31:55 PMMax was also in Le Cafe des Reves, which was an educational mini series set in Lille shown in French lessons at school in the early 90's. I think he played a homeless Englishman who broke into the eponymous cafe for a place to sleep, but ended up being befriended by the owners.

Max from EastEnders was also in an episode of Inspector Morse in the late 80s with an extremely minor role as reformed joyrider.

shiftwork2

Technically a short film (although the TV Times would have described it as TVM 1974), The Gun
managed to linger on and clang around in my brain for decades in that tenth-remembered way.  I'm guessing I saw it late night on ITV in the early 80s.  A firearm is bought, sold, discarded, stolen, seized and stolen again corrupting everyone who has possession of it.  It was partly the gimmicky premise that I remember (although for a low budget shonkily-acted effort it manages to transcend that quite quickly) but there's also some extremely appealing early 70s shots of mundane America.  The office plaza sequence and for some reason the clock have featured in a lot of my dreams over the intervening years.  Funny how such a randomly caught little thing can sometimes stay with you.

A peculiar little festive memory that keeps coming back to - watching some daytime telly during the holidays - almost certainly Pebble Mill, where they had chosen to end the show with a musical act that comprised a small child hammering dementedly on a keyboard while tunelessly howling a "song" that consisted of bellowing "MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY!" over and over again.

What was going on? Why was the child there? Had he won a competition or something? These things bother me late at night, decades later.

Pebble Mill did used to do that sort of thing, but in those cases the child was deemed to have some kind of talent before they were permitted to unleash themselves on the great British public(as in the case of this little twerp, so how did this maverick juvenile avant-gardist get on the air? We will never know.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: monkfromhavana on December 13, 2021, 07:57:55 AMMax from EastEnders was also in an episode of Inspector Morse in the late 80s with an extremely minor role as reformed joyrider.

A versatile actor in his earlier career then, before he lost his hair and became The Thumb.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: kalowski on December 11, 2021, 12:07:53 PMI just have this vague memory of Cloppa Castle having a great theme tune
Not as good as Chorlton & The Wheelies!

Mobbd

An item on local news in the early '90s about a woman who was blind and hid the fact from her family for years. Two questions: how and why?

George White

I remember reading that one-time Irish Eurovision contestant Maria Christian did this.

kalowski

Not really a backwater, but did Harry and Paul once do Smashy and Nicey but as Swedish DJs on something like G-Fab FM? Or is this a fever dream?

kalowski

Glebe

Here's one I actually started a new thread about, but I maybe should have just posted it here... so does anyone remember some kind of spooky scene in a drama where a woman is taking a bath (I think) with loads of candles around and loads of moths fly into the bathroom? Something like that.

Replies has his ostrich running to the Chariots of Fire theme, I have my woman in bath with moths.

mothman

And I have my woman leaving a house at night with her children. Nobody remembers seeing this. I wonder sometimes if I dreamt it.

Glebe

Quote from: mothman on January 11, 2022, 09:56:12 PMAnd I have my woman leaving a house at night with her children. Nobody remembers seeing this. I wonder sometimes if I dreamt it.

You of all people should know what the bath moths thing is mothman!

Maybe your woman drops the children off with a friend and goes back to the house to have a bath with moths?

mothman

*sigh* I've been Glebesplained...

I'm trying to find my original post about this strange little snippet of film I thought I saw in TV in 2003 or 2004. No luck yet.

Mind you, I've never been able to find this, the post with which I started the "Hazy Television Memories, Redux" thread in 2014:

Quote from: mothman on May 07, 2014, 10:51:58 PMDate: uncertain. Possibly 1990s. A short TV sketch featuring a newsreader finishing up the news. He bids the audience good night, then taps his keyboard (as if to log out). There's a ping, the front of his (CRT) monitor swings open and he takes out a plate with his dinner on, nice and warm.

EDIT: Found it!

Quote from: mothman on May 10, 2014, 03:09:17 PM2003, I think. Channel 4. It was either a short film or trailer or maybe an advert - for a charity perhaps. It seemed to feature a woman preparing to flee a house with her children, seemingly in fear of her life, perhaps - I think it was implied but can't remember if explicitly stated - an abusive husband. Who might have been asleep or away from the house and they needed to get away to safety before he awoke/returned. I can't remember how it ended. Maybe it turned out to be all quite innocent. But I can remember the sheer feeling of terror and impatience - come on, get on with it, you're running out of time! - it instilled in me. It was like James Stewart in Rear Window, watching while Grace Kelly searches the murderer's apartment, and then seeing him coming back home - only much much worse. Did I imagine it?

Red Macadam

Quote from: Glebe on January 11, 2022, 09:20:51 PM.. so does anyone remember some kind of spooky scene in a drama where a woman is taking a bath (I think) with loads of candles around and loads of moths fly into the bathroom? Something like that.

It's not this, is it?

Fuck it. I'm trying to post a link to 'The Collector' from 1965. It has a girl in a bath and a butterfly collector. It may be what you're after.
Why is it so difficult to post links and pictures here? Anywhere else, you just upload stuff, and it works.  Not here. Recent updates aren't so recent.

Red Macadam

Think I've done it / check out this dunce

Balls. Not available. Glebe, look for the film 'The Collector' from the sixties. Hope it helps.
I'm fucking off out of it now, I'm clearly useless with all this internet shit. Mug of Bovril and amitriptyline should see me right. Bye

The Giggling Bean

There was a short film, possibly on The Horror Channel, years and years ago. Spoilered due to suicide reference...

Spoiler alert
it was 1 actress facing the camera for an audition. A voice off camera told her to step up on a chair and put a noose around her neck. She did so but started to get suspicious and kept asking if it was safe. The voice just kept repeating the same instructions.
She put the noose around her then the voice said "jump". She began questioning again but the voice just repeated itself. Ultimately she jumped and, as I'm sure you've guessed, they'd made her hang herself
[close]

It must have been about 5/10 years ago I saw it but it really stuck with me. Never saw it again though.

I also remember an alternative title sequence for the 1992 episodic broadcast of "The Further Adventures of Billy The Fish" on Channel 4. The last time I saw this was around 2007/2008 on YouTube. It got took down shortly after on a copyright claim. I'd love to see that again. Some kind soul uploaded an off air episode of Roger Mellie from Christmas 92 last week. That brought back so many memories.