Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:25:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

More inessential shit from the backwaters of old TV you somehow still remember

Started by non capisco, November 02, 2020, 11:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glebe

Quote from: Red Macadam on January 13, 2022, 03:35:42 AMBalls. Not available. Glebe, look for the film 'The Collector' from the sixties. Hope it helps.
I'm fucking off out of it now, I'm clearly useless with all this internet shit. Mug of Bovril and amitriptyline should see me right. Bye

Thanks for the help RM, sadly it isn't whatever I was thinking of! But thanks again mate.

Replies From View

One has occurred to me just now, quite out of nowhere but this is one that I have thought about fleetingly quite a lot over the years but never written down.

Late 80s I'd guess - it's a scene of some children shovelling bank notes into a furnace accompanied by Badfinger's Come and Get It.  Pretty sure it was probably an episode of Jim'll Fix It.

It was only when the Beatles Anthology CDs came out years later that I heard Paul's demo of Come and Get It, so could place the song from the scene in my memory.

In particular the lyric about the money "going fast".  I remember hearing it as "going bad" and thinking as a child that the money was going bad somehow, and that's why they were shovelling it into the furnace.

non capisco

I've worked tirelessly night and day to try and find this ostrich for you to no avail and now you throw in something else. Unbelievable.

Glebe

KennyMonster

Quote from: mothman on January 11, 2022, 10:35:34 PMMind you, I've never been able to find this, the post with which I started the "Hazy Television Memories, Redux" thread in 2014:

Date: uncertain. Possibly 1990s. A short TV sketch featuring a newsreader finishing up the news. He bids the audience good night, then taps his keyboard (as if to log out). There's a ping, the front of his (CRT) monitor swings open and he takes out a plate with his dinner on, nice and warm.

In autumn 1996 BBc2 ran a comedy show, maybe only a pilot got aired, it was a spoof news show.

I never saw anything apart from trailers but remember reading about it on internet userne (?) groups and they said it was a cheap TDT knock off.

Pretty sure that  computer screen/microwave gag was in the trailer, it sounds familiar.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: The Giggling Bean on January 13, 2022, 10:44:00 AMThere was a short film, possibly on The Horror Channel, years and years ago. Spoilered due to suicide reference...

Spoiler alert
it was 1 actress facing the camera for an audition. A voice off camera told her to step up on a chair and put a noose around her neck. She did so but started to get suspicious and kept asking if it was safe. The voice just kept repeating the same instructions.
She put the noose around her then the voice said "jump". She began questioning again but the voice just repeated itself. Ultimately she jumped and, as I'm sure you've guessed, they'd made her hang herself
[close]

It must have been about 5/10 years ago I saw it but it really stuck with me. Never saw it again though.

I also remember an alternative title sequence for the 1992 episodic broadcast of "The Further Adventures of Billy The Fish" on Channel 4. The last time I saw this was around 2007/2008 on YouTube. It got took down shortly after on a copyright claim. I'd love to see that again. Some kind soul uploaded an off air episode of Roger Mellie from Christmas 92 last week. That brought back so many memories.
Arrggh. Fucksticks! I remember that.It couldn't have been Horror Channel if I've seen it. Unless it subsequently went to a different channel....

mothman

Quote from: KennyMonster on January 14, 2022, 11:58:38 AMIn autumn 1996 BBc2 ran a comedy show, maybe only a pilot got aired, it was a spoof news show.

I never saw anything apart from trailers but remember reading about it on internet userne (?) groups and they said it was a cheap TDT knock off.

Pretty sure that  computer screen/microwave gag was in the trailer, it sounds familiar.
Thanks. Thing is, though, my memory may predate TDT etc., and I'm absolutely certain it wasn't a spoof news show (like, say, Broken News). I'm even wondering if it's something I saw on a foreign TV show...

Replies From View

Quote from: non capisco on January 14, 2022, 01:33:28 AMI've worked tirelessly night and day to try and find this ostrich for you to no avail and now you throw in something else. Unbelievable.

Don't get me wrong; I'd settle for only the ostrich.

Glebe

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Glebe on January 14, 2022, 11:41:40 PMMaybe there was a programme with an ostrich in a bath?

Paul Whitehouse as Paul Merton reconsiders catchphrase.

The Giggling Bean

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on January 14, 2022, 04:50:13 PMArrggh. Fucksticks! I remember that.It couldn't have been Horror Channel if I've seen it. Unless it subsequently went to a different channel....

I presumed it was the Horror Channel but maybe not. It was years since I saw it. It was only really short so it may have popped up on a couple of channels. Glad someone else remembers it too.

Famous Mortimer

As a fan of Saul Rubinek from his days on "Warehouse 13" (I know he's done much more popular / well-regarded stuff than that, but it's the first thing I noticed him in) I've kept an eye out for him in other shows. I thought one of them, a show called "Men" from 1989, was a misprint in IMDB because it seemed to have completely disappeared, along with the extremely generic title.

Well, after many years of not thinking about it at all, a couple of days ago it appeared on a torrent site, and Youtube at the same time (presumably from the same source). If I'd been waiting with bated breath, I'd have been disappointed, but it's still fun to see Rubinek, Ted Wass (the dad from "Blossom") and Ving Rhames as a group of friends. Cancelled after 5 episodes, apparently.

Sgt. Duckie

Okay so there is this show, I always thought it was an episode of Star Trek, but moments of it are set on earth.

A native American Indian is inside a high rise apartment block and he has a glowing green snake as his villainous weapon. I'm pretty sure he ends up falling to his death from the apartment block.

Trying to put this memory into words is very difficult and I might be wrong about certain details, but I'm thinking it's from a US series in the late 80's. Cannot find anything about it online.

Any help my dears??

Sgt. Duckie

Quote from: George White on February 27, 2022, 08:44:44 AMDoc Savage the Man of Bronze?

Well I have just checked a clip out and the Indian falling off the building is just how I remember, and he has a snake on his chest. Is there a glowing snake leading up to their fight do you recall?

And thank you

Dr Rock

Sgt. Duckie

Dr Rock

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

This is really bothering me, I suppose it must be from about ten years ago. It was a trailer for some show about lions which I'm almost certain was on National Geographic. Anyway it went something like

(clips of daddy lion)
Our father, who rules unchallenged
Hallowed be thy mane
Thy battles done, thy kingdom won
From [can't remember] to the savannah

(clip of younger lions)
Until we, your sons, take it from you
Let us prey

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: Replies From View on January 14, 2022, 01:18:06 AMOne has occurred to me just now, quite out of nowhere but this is one that I have thought about fleetingly quite a lot over the years but never written down.

Late 80s I'd guess - it's a scene of some children shovelling bank notes into a furnace accompanied by Badfinger's Come and Get It.  Pretty sure it was probably an episode of Jim'll Fix It.

It was only when the Beatles Anthology CDs came out years later that I heard Paul's demo of Come and Get It, so could place the song from the scene in my memory.

In particular the lyric about the money "going fast".  I remember hearing it as "going bad" and thinking as a child that the money was going bad somehow, and that's why they were shovelling it into the furnace.

You're sure you're not misremembering part of The Magic Christian?

Replies From View

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on March 02, 2022, 09:01:12 PMYou're sure you're not misremembering part of The Magic Christian?

No; in fact when I first saw The Magic Christian the scene - with its usage of the same music - immediately brought to mind the Jim'll Fix It thing I remembered.

Swift

An Australian show which aired on Channel 4 (I believe) in the late 90s. It was a one off show (or at least I only remember the one episode) about plastic surgery/boob jobs. Played for laughs by a big, loud Aussie woman with a studio audience with filmed inserts. The clip I remember is her bringing a woman to a surgeon's office to discuss a potential boob job. The woman takes her top off and the surgeon is marking where the incision lines will be. The comedian takes the marker and turns it into a game of Xs and Os on her chest which both the surgeon and her play. I seem to remember the potential patient being petite and the comedian carries her into the office in a suitcase.

Any ideas?

Sonny_Jim

Here's one that I've never been able to Google:

Aired in the 90s late night on Channel 4, 70s cop show spoof that's setup like Scooby doo, where the cast drive around in a sweet ass van.  Only character I can remember was called 'Phones' and was a bearded mute guy who always wore headphones.

markburgle

Punt and Dennis sketch. Bloke goes into the Post Office, asks to withdraw some cash. Counter lady says "Would you like any shopping back with that?". He goes "Umm yes. I'll  have a banana". She hands him one.

Always bugged me, that. She just had the banana right there, no other groceries. Would've made sense if she opened a door in the back and revealed an entire supermarket. Lazy

Replies From View

Punt and Dennis was always weak if I'm remembering correctly.  The disappointingly shit half of TMWHE, which only benefited from a continuous internal commentary that Eric Idle looks young these days.

petril

they must've gotten some goodwill out of the obvious comparison with Newman and Baddiel from the good half. Especially Baddiel

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Swift on March 09, 2022, 10:51:55 PMAn Australian show which aired on Channel 4 (I believe) in the late 90s. It was a one off show (or at least I only remember the one episode) about plastic surgery/boob jobs.

Any ideas?
There was a plastic surgeon in Australian sketch comedy show "The B Team", but it doesn't sound a lot like what you described.

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on March 10, 2022, 01:22:37 AMHere's one that I've never been able to Google:

Aired in the 90s late night on Channel 4, 70s cop show spoof that's setup like Scooby doo, where the cast drive around in a sweet ass van.  Only character I can remember was called 'Phones' and was a bearded mute guy who always wore headphones.
It isn't that, but this made me remember "Funky Squad", which I might watch again soon.

Magnum Valentino

Still have a very clear memory of a buxom UK goffic talking about piercings at a time when that would still have been shocking (must be 2000, 2001 and on one of the terrestrial channels) and checking with the interviewer if it was OK to "just get my baps out", which it WAS!

Would have been late night, probably Channel 4 as our reception for 5 was shite. I remember being struck by the specificity of the phrase, and how completely unsexual it was despite the appearance of one (or maybe both) of the lady in question's champion roundies.

Ring a bell with anyone? Saw it twice so whatever it was, it was repeated, although both broadcasts predated the years when I knew what to do with the strange sensation it provoked.

Not even interested in seeing it again, would just love to know someone else saw it too. Maybe even twice.

Glebe

Here's a childhood memory mystery I kinda solved awhile back... think it was on around Christmas, a sequence from something with scary stop-motion animated rats that I recalled as using Tchaikovsky's 'Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy'. As it turns out it's 1979 stop-motion/live-action film Nutcracker Fantasy which was produced by Sanrio, the company responsible for creating Hello Kitty. The original full-length Japanese version is on YouTube, along with the shortened English-language cut which apparently features the voices of Christopher Lee, Roddy McDowall and Eva Gabor. I've watched the Japanese version, as I say I only recall watching the particular scene mentioned as a kid... a bit of YouTube investigation suggests I could be mixing it up with another stop-motion Nutcracker adaptation which I've not properly watched but have posted below along with both versions of Nutcracker Fantasy.

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on March 10, 2022, 02:48:46 PMStill have a very clear memory of a buxom UK goffic talking about piercings at a time when that would still have been shocking (must be 2000, 2001 and on one of the terrestrial channels) and checking with the interviewer if it was OK to "just get my baps out", which it WAS!

Would have been late night, probably Channel 4 as our reception for 5 was shite. I remember being struck by the specificity of the phrase, and how completely unsexual it was despite the appearance of one (or maybe both) of the lady in question's champion roundies.

Ring a bell with anyone? Saw it twice so whatever it was, it was repeated, although both broadcasts predated the years when I knew what to do with the strange sensation it provoked.

Not even interested in seeing it again, would just love to know someone else saw it too. Maybe even twice.

Given the timeframe and it likely being on C4 could it have been edgy post-The Word yoof show "Frontal"?

QuoteFrontal. Broadcast live from the Channel 4 building, Frontal was a subversive series looking at the 'underbelly of pop culture'. Included features on culture jamming, reviews on erotica, revenge techniques, performance art and a weekly instruction on how to get high legally, including how to get high using a cactus. The pilot episode for Frontal included showing a banned music video for the song 'Pretty When You Cry' by Vast. Another episode of Frontal showed the music videos for 'Plug Me In' and Metal Fingers In My Body by the group Add N To X. Presented by James Hyman, Natasha Bell, Tim Gould, Lisa Rogers and Italian music producer Charlie Rapino. A pilot for Frontal aired in 1999. Five episodes where aired in 2000. In total six episodes were made. Although Frontal was a very unique and subversive programme, it's short life span means that it seems to have fallen in to obscurity. Frontal was shown on Friday nights after the first series of Big Brother. A Channel 4 introduction to Frontal can be viewed on the TV Ark website. The Frontal opening sequence can be viewed here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqnf3rFIXxU
and a short teaser for the series can be viewed here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MZJJKLYScg

Else it could be something else listed on this page:

http://chucky-blackheart.blogspot.com/2012/04/4later.html