Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:17:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Trek Picard S2

Started by Malcy, June 16, 2021, 06:50:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Trumpet

The bits with Guinan appear to be 24th (25th?) century. You can see a shot of an Andorian drinking in the bar.

JamesTC

JamesTC

mothman

Right so it looks like the plot is:

Spoiler alert
- Suddenly it's Dark Federation! Q is either responsible or sets JLP of on quest to stop it (this last part probably unintentional since JLP goes to see Guinean for advice and she and Q hate each other)
- The crew time travels to the 21st century despite Starfleet trying to stop them... because Dark Starfleet presumably, and evil; also because (from teaser trailer which I'd forgotten) they pinch a Borg Queen to do the time travel bit (never mind that they time travelled back after First Contact without a Queen to open a vortex)
- Q is up to stuff in the 21st, with a 21st century Soong (to go with the 22nd, 23rd, and 24th-going-on-25th century Soongs we've seeng)
- Hilarious fish-out-of-water time traveller hijinks presumably ensue, though not evident in trailer
[close]

Malcy

Whatever the plot is it will be anti-Trek 'Dark shit'but in the while it won't matter because LD, Prodigy and possibly SNW will be flying he flag.

mothman

It's curious how, even though I've quite enjoyed the current DSC season and have found it a step up from the previous, I'm not missing it during its break nor impatient for it to return.

Mobbd

Maybe we've been in the [grim]dark timeline all this time and they're going to fix it.

mothman

Do you know, that's not a bad idea. Although the Dark Fed trappings are obvious and dissonant in the trailer.
Spoiler alert
One thing nobody seems to have commented on in the trailer are what appear to be flashbacks to Picard's childhood, where he is confronted by Romulans - or Vulcans?
[close]

beanheadmcginty

Would have loved it if they got Ted Danson in to play Guinan.

kalowski

Paramount+ ?? Does this mean I won't be able to watch it without taking out another subscription? Which I won't be doing.

Malcy

Quote from: kalowski on January 24, 2022, 06:41:24 AMParamount+ ?? Does this mean I won't be able to watch it without taking out another subscription? Which I won't be doing.

It'll be on Amazon Prime. P+ is launching here this year so not sure where further series will air.

grainger

From the trailer, this looks shit, but perhaps more promising than S1. However, I'm sure that they've made something approximately as bad.  S1 was so abhorrent that I won't be watching.

S1 was trying hard to be "grown up", "realistic" and "gritty". There are a million SF movies and shows that are "dark". There's nothing wrong with that. In fact, we need some of that and, luckily, there are plenty of great shows in that category. But we also badly need some of not that.

Trek was a rare SF show that gave us a future that we might want to aspire to. We might not find every aspect of that future desirable, because Trek was always a product of its time, its culture and its often dickish creators. But its heart was in a good place, and it showed us that the future didn't have to be abject misery.

New Trek, from what I've seen, comes from a place of "grow up, you can't have that". The creators of new Trek have no sense of vision - they can only imagine a world like our own - or they only want to imagine a world like our own. Commercial interests dictate that something called "Star Trek" is going to be made. It will have elements from previous shows, to signal that it's a continuation of Trek. It probably won't give us a utopian future, unless that's part of the brief, because utopian shows are not what creators tend to make.

For me, having the utopian elements of Trek (and - I'd argue - the idealistic elements of Star Wars) extracted feels like having those futures snatched away. "Are you naive or something? Of course you can't have that. You can't go against human nature. Don't even think it".

I really liked the episode where some of the old team sat around eating pizza and chatting. It was notalgic, but it was also a beam of light. The rest was repellent.

olliebean

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on January 24, 2022, 02:53:06 AMWould have loved it if they got Ted Danson in to play Guinan.

The bloody woke brigade put the kibosh on that.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Quote from: Malcy on January 24, 2022, 08:09:53 AMIt'll be on Amazon Prime. P+ is launching here this year so not sure where further series will air.

I'd bet that Paramount wanted to do the same trick as with Discovery and make it a P+ exclusive before a new season, but the contract with Amazon must make renegotiation much harder.

Mr Trumpet

Bezos sees himself in the handsome bald spaceman

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: Mobbd on January 22, 2022, 12:09:48 PMMaybe we've been in the [grim]dark timeline all this time and they're going to fix it.
Said this several pages ago.
Quote from: mothman on January 22, 2022, 12:01:03 AMRight so it looks like the plot is:

Spoiler alert
- Q is up to stuff in the 21st, with a 21st century Soong (to go with the 22nd, 23rd, and 24th-going-on-25th century Soongs we've seeng)
[close]
Spoiler alert
imagine people having ancestors
[close]

Mr Trumpet

As with the 100% definitive proof of the existence of the soul, it's an established fact in the Star Trek universe that one will often look exactly identical to one's ancestors.

JamesTC

But your clone will look nothing like you.

mothman

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on January 24, 2022, 03:11:02 PM
Spoiler alert
imagine people having ancestors
[close]
... who always look identical?
Quote from: Mr Trumpet on January 24, 2022, 05:53:54 PMAs with the 100% definitive proof of the existence of the soul, it's an established fact in the Star Trek universe that one will often look exactly identical to one's ancestors.
Is the soul duplicatable? It'd have to be, because Tom Riker.

JamesTC

It's about love. And that's what makes it so special.

Bad Ambassador

He could have stopped with the first line.

Mobbd

I know nobody here has any hope of this being anything other than skin-crawlingly shit, but what Goldsman says there is precisely the problem.

It's love this time, not faith, but it's still the meaningless vom-bucket soap opera melodrama that makes these scripts so firmly bin-worthy and about nothing whatsoever. I don't know what the fuck this cretin thinks he's doing.

grainger

Wait, they intended the first series to be about hope? But... they took any glimmer of hope out of the franchise!

Mr Trumpet

I liked the first series, although I did think it started more strongly than it finished (apparently they spent at least a year writing the first couple of episodes and then rushed through the later ones).

Not particularly enthused about stories where they travel back to the present day, and i've never been a big fan of Q as a character, but i'm looking forward to this. But hey, I like Discovery as well, and I think DS9 is the shittest Star Trek series so what do I know.

Edit: I forgot Enterprise. Obviously that's the worst one, smh

Lemming

Quote from: grainger on January 28, 2022, 07:19:35 AMWait, they intended the first series to be about hope? But... they took any glimmer of hope out of the franchise!

Hope was restored to the universe when that Romulan samurai sliced some guy's heads off and Seven executed that unarmed organ thief and then fatally kicked another Romulan down a big hole. Also Seven and Raffi (who'd never spoken before, I think?) held hands at the end, showing that love has prevailed too.

Icheb's eye getting popped out was also part of the message of hope.

mothman

As the saying goes - in the kingdom of the hopeless, the one-eyed man is dope.

Malcy

Couldn't really find fault with that at all. Really enjoyed it. Rich in references and even music from past series and films.

Hope it keeps it up.

Spoiler alert
And a proper fleet at last. I saw Sovereign, Nebula, Akira, Ambassador, Excelsior, Constellation, Steamrunner, the copy and paste class from last time and a Galaxy class as well i think.
[close]

Alberon

The reviews generally have been more positive. One from the Telegraph laid into the first season by saying it wasn't Trek and then went on to say this has improved.

I believe the reviews are based on the first three episodes. Hopefully this season won't go off the cliff the way the first one did.