Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:59:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Wildlife spotting

Started by Twit 2, August 06, 2018, 12:59:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spoon of Ploff

Same spot as last sighting, same/different Redwing:

Endicott

Clatty, reckon yours might be a kestrel. Coz of the speckled wings. I'm no expert though.

Twit 2

Quote from: Endicott on January 17, 2022, 05:51:07 PMClatty, reckon yours might be a kestrel. Coz of the speckled wings. I'm no expert though.

Quote from: Twit 2 on January 17, 2022, 09:19:25 PMKestrel

Excellent, thanks. My deficient bird ID skills strike again!

paruses

It is very red too and you can just about make out the moustachial stripes on the face if you really zoom in. But - we got to see a picture of a kestrel and a hare. Good stuff.

Garden has exploded with birds at the moment greenfinch, goldfinch, and the siskin are all back and having fights with the local gang of sparrows whose turf it is. I'll post a blurry picture taken through some glass when I get a chance (and remember how to upload pics - usually takes me a good half hour to get tags in the right place).

bgmnts

Cheers for that pic, as I've said before I love birds that have a u fukin wot mate face and that's a doozy.

Endicott

I took these in November, through my living room window.

Fishfinger

paruses

I was going to work out how to put my feeder pic up then @Endicott posted those. It was like the scar swapping scene in Jaws (I am Chief Brody).

What did you take them with? Are you all set up on the feeders?

ZoyzaSorris

Lots of long tailed tits about on the feeders last few days, great little guys

Endicott

Quote from: paruses on January 22, 2022, 05:11:39 PM
QuoteWhat did you take them with? Are you all set up on the feeders?

They are in my garden which is tiny, but that means I am close to them shooting out of the window of my living room. Only 7 or 8 meters distance.

It took a while to work out how to get these. Getting a good pic of a stationary bird is easy but trying to get good in flight pics is quite difficult. You can't use auto focus because they are too fast, they leap/fly from the hedge which is about 3 feet behind the feeder, you have a limited depth of field and you have to choose a focus point where the action is. Eventually I found a place to focus that yielded some good results. Just behind the feeder, seems obvious in hindsight. You have to use continuous shooting and take quite a few pictures to get good ones.

Brian Freeze

Out up the moors this morning, saw a white stoat legging it up the side of the valley at Dish Stone rocks.

Bloody amazing sight. Saw it for a good few seconds. It went up the rocks as quick as water would come down and looked almost as fluid.

Quote from: Twit 2 on January 23, 2022, 10:12:00 AMYes!

I recognised the sea defences.

I walked along the dunes near Waxham and saw lots of seals a fortnight ago. It's a nice alternative to the Horsey tourist trap and parking is free on laybys near the church.

Twit 2

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on January 23, 2022, 05:02:59 PMI recognised the sea defences.

I walked along the dunes near Waxham and saw lots of seals a fortnight ago. It's a nice alternative to the Horsey tourist trap and parking is free on laybys near the church.

Yeah, although hard to park in the summer. Did an awesome wild camp on those dunes back in September:

Quote from: Twit 2 on September 12, 2021, 11:07:16 AMYeah, plenty of seals there still. Blakeney and Horsey are the two big hotspots, especially during winter breeding when there are hundreds on the sands, but you can spot them in the sea most of the way round the coast all year.

I camped out on the dunes last night, smoking weed and seal watching. Beautiful warm, still night, gorgeous sunset. Paradise:

https://streamable.com/nujvzf

Pink Gregory

nother curlew on Portishead beach yesterday

Just on its own having a little wade and a poke in the mud

little guy

Brian Freeze

This mornings walk found us getting grumbled at by a grouse.

It flew over and was behind some heather so I stuck the dog on the lead and crouched down to try and get a photo and it strutted right past us, having a right old whinge but was still bold as brass and did not give a shit at all before deciding we'd got the message and fucked off.

Endicott

That's beautiful.

I got my best ever pic of a kestrel on Saturday.

And my first wigeon.

shoulders

A coypu washing its face on the banks of the Vltava this morning

I say to you sirs, BEAT THAT

Twit 2

Capybara soaking its balls in the Pastaza.

ZoyzaSorris

Had a nice little flock of redwings taken up residence in the trees at the bottom of the garden, handsome fellas that they are (but almost seem too small for a thrush)

Buelligan

Just reporting in, saw almond trees in flower yesterday and found a hummingbird hawk moth going apeshit in here just now, let him out though I'm worried it's too cold for the wee soul.  Better out than in though.  Spring is coming!

purlieu

If it's too cold it'll likely find another hibernation spot pretty swiftly.

Beautiful shots on this page!

We have recently had an influx of crows. We have a lot of jackdaws in the area - maybe a hundred or so when they flock together - but they seem to have been partially supplanted by a couple of dozen crows since around Christmas time. Quite strange how they just seem to have suddenly moved into the area, when we never normally had more than four or five at a time. They make a right racket, too. A good racket, though.

jobotic

Went for a bit of ride on Monday, nice bit of buzzard and kestrel action. Field full of either Redwing or Fieldfare (was at a bit of a distance) - anyone which are more likely?

Ended up at Cliffe Pools but it was so windy there was bugger all about apart from my favourite ducks and a lovely Little Grebe. Wish I could take photos.

Gurke and Hare

Still not seen any redwings, will go looking somewhere tomorrow probably.

The woodpecker's a daily visitor now though.

Small charm of goldfinches visited a chimney stack across the way last week.

Buelligan

Wow.  One of my absolute favourite charming birds, beautiful pic.  They are wonderful.

ZoyzaSorris

Quote from: jobotic on February 04, 2022, 01:00:01 PMWent for a bit of ride on Monday, nice bit of buzzard and kestrel action. Field full of either Redwing or Fieldfare (was at a bit of a distance) - anyone which are more likely?

Ended up at Cliffe Pools but it was so windy there was bugger all about apart from my favourite ducks and a lovely Little Grebe. Wish I could take photos.

Redwings are much more common and a lot smaller if that helps!