Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:36:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Final FUCKDOWN

Started by Chedney Honks, May 31, 2021, 11:43:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Have we got one more to go before the end of 2021?

Yes.
94 (66.7%)
No.
36 (25.5%)
Young people probably spread it in the first place so prepare to meet thy doom 😂😂😂
11 (7.8%)

Total Members Voted: 141

stonkers

Quote from: olliebean on February 18, 2022, 08:48:13 AMIt was a little flippant, but one thing I do believe is that something should be done to change the culture of being expected to go into work and carry on as usual while infectious - which has even continued to some extent during this pandemic. (i.e., employers expecting people to come into work as usual while symptomatic even when the guidance has advised otherwise.)

That I agree with that and I agreed with it pre-pandemic. More to the point we need statutory sick pay that people can actually live off. It's not likely to happen but it's nice to dream.

stonkers

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on February 18, 2022, 10:19:27 AMI know they get lots of funding from various wealthy people, but it's bleak that most of the movements around covid seem to be covid denial and antivaxx. Where are the groups pushing for the rights of the vulnerable?

It's also not helped by the people who act like Covid is certain death for vulnerable people, and insist anyone who opposes further restrictions or wants to go to the pub wants to murder them. At the end of the day that kind of view is just antivax from another angle.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: stonkers on February 18, 2022, 10:40:17 AMIt's also not helped by the people who act like Covid is certain death for vulnerable people, and insist anyone who opposes further restrictions or wants to go to the pub wants to murder them. At the end of the day that kind of view is just antivax from another angle.

Does anyone do this? Some immmosuppressed people wont have as strong protection from the vaccine as most people, although they will get some protection as it is essential they get all four jabs. But no, covid wont be "certain death" for every vulnerable person.

This article is worth a read:https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2022/02/covid-pandemic-immunocompromised-risk-vaccines/622094/

It's essential for everyone who can to get the vaccine, in particular if they are vulnerable (in which case they should usually be offered a fourth dose). That does t take away from the fact that some people will still be at more risk from covid than most so keeping restrictions like mandatory isolation if you have covid and masks for non exempt in shops and public transport is the right thing to do. I do know that treatments have improved but it would still be sensible to reduce the risk of vulnerable people getting it in the first place.

Whether someone goes to a pub or not, unless they live with vulnerable people, makes no difference.

Looks like England is going ahead with full on heads in the sand though. How much blood is there on the government's hands? Soon they will have towels on the Despatch Box.

stonkers

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on February 20, 2022, 11:03:07 AMDoes anyone do this? Some immmosuppressed people wont have as strong protection from the vaccine as most people, although they will get some protection as it is essential they get all four jabs. But no, covid wont be "certain death" for every vulnerable person.

Yes, it's very common on Twitter, which I admit isn't necessarily reflective of real world opinion. And frankly there's plenty of examples of the "going to the pub makes you a granny killer" sentiment on this very forum.

Plus zero Covid cranks like Deepti Gurdisani and Christina Pagel get to appear regularly on mainstream news outlets (though even Pagel seems to be backing off from zero Covid, which kind of tells you the game's up).

Mandatory isolation means giving the cops the power to arrest / fine you for leaving the house. I don't think that's acceptable as a long term position.

Crenners

scarecrow

Quote from: stonkers on February 20, 2022, 11:51:45 AMYes, it's very common on Twitter, which I admit isn't necessarily reflective of real world opinion. And frankly there's plenty of examples of the "going to the pub makes you a granny killer" sentiment on this very forum.

Plus zero Covid cranks like Deepti Gurdisani and Christina Pagel get to appear regularly on mainstream news outlets (though even Pagel seems to be backing off from zero Covid, which kind of tells you the game's up).

Mandatory isolation means giving the cops the power to arrest / fine you for leaving the house. I don't think that's acceptable as a long term position.

Going to the pub does make you a granny killer though, if you do it in conjunction with other activities such as refusing to wear an ffp2 mask in shops, public transport or communal areas of the tenement you share with elderly neighbours. I think it's a bit disingenuous to suggest that people who are going to pubs are taking appropriate steps to confine their risk to just themselves and consenting peers.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Quote from: scarecrow on February 20, 2022, 12:35:22 PMGoing to the pub does make you a granny killer though, if you do it in conjunction with other activities such as refusing to wear an ffp2 mask in shops, public transport or communal areas of the tenement you share with elderly neighbours. I think it's a bit disingenuous to suggest that people who are going to pubs are taking appropriate steps to confine their risk to just themselves and consenting peers.

Unless the government decides to start subsidising FFP2 masks and at the very least the very least making then readily available (I don't think you can even buy them in Boots usually without doing click and collect?) I think it's a little harsh to blame people for not wearing them.

Fambo Number Mive

It's hard enough to get people to wear any mask these days, let along ffp2. I wear a reusuable mask over a disposable mask - I think the CDC recommended double masking as a way to reduce transmission. Could order a ffp2 online but where is trustworthy?

Only been to the pub once since Feb 2020 though.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on February 20, 2022, 03:17:34 PMIt's hard enough to get people to wear any mask these days, let along ffp2. I wear a reusuable mask over a disposable mask - I think the CDC recommended double masking as a way to reduce transmission. Could order a ffp2 online but where is trustworthy?

Only been to the pub once since Feb 2020 though.

You can get them delivered or do a click and collect from Boots if you need them - my point was that it's a pain in the arse and I don't think there are many (or any) places where you can just walk in and buy them. Also they're a tenner for a pack of 5, so given that you'd have to wear a new one every day for it to remain effective that would end up coming to 60 cunting quid a month.

I've got them but for cost reasons I tend to save them for if the bus/train is insanely crowded or any other situation where you cannae distance or anything

Fambo Number Mive

Another good article reporting the concerns of some of those vulnerable to covid, this time from the Manchester Evening News, which claims there are plans to charge £30 for lateral flow tests.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/lifting-restrictions-covid-vulnerale-chorlton-23108604

Ferris

If they sell them for 30 quid in the UK, I'll set up a nice sideline in mailing my free ones from Canada. 20 quid a go - everyone wins!

Dex Sawash

I've got 5 KF94 masks with days of week written inside at werke. Wear for 1 day and hang it until next week. Replace all every couple months or so.
#covidstrong

The science behind this method is unassailable pulled from my rectum.

Ferris

I wear N95s at uni for hours at a time, and rotate the 3 or 4 I have so I wear same one every week or two. Got a backup box (manufactured by American cluster-bomb enthusiasts Honeywell) just in case.

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteMr Johnson said the end to restrictions will return people's freedom and "mark a moment of pride as we begin to learn to live with Covid".

Freedom to do what? Go out while sick and spread a disease?

jobotic

Freedom to die, or kill, in order to keep Johnson in his job.

mikeyg27

I've just got a positive test this morning and the COVID app is telling me to self-isolate. Are they just going to turn it off in a few days? Will I be free to wander around spreading my misery at will? That seems silly.

(I'm not going to. As luck would have it I have this week off anyway)

bgmnts

Like yeah this cabinet is pure evil shite like most Tory govts but lets face it this IS what most people want.

Fambo Number Mive

Sadly I think you're right. England is a nasty little country full of mini Thatchers. It's just a shame that the minority of decent people in England have to put up with them.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Ferris on February 21, 2022, 03:32:47 AM(manufactured by American cluster-bomb enthusiasts Honeywell) just in case.

Would do well to get one of their thermostats too.

buttgammon

I knew the name was familiar - just realised my mum's house has Honeywell radiator valves.

Ferris

Quote from: Dex Sawash on February 21, 2022, 12:33:21 PMWould do well to get one of their thermostats too.

Just checked - the whole heating system/controls are manufactured by Honeywell and I'd just never noticed. So that's me sorted for N95s, thermostats and illegal artillery ordnance. What a company!

Fambo Number Mive

Moved to new thread

Fambo Number Mive