Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:56:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Trek Picard S2

Started by Malcy, June 16, 2021, 06:50:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grainger

Oh god. It sounds like this show (I'm not watching it, nor will I) is just "remember when this happened in Star Trek?", stretching out to the horizon, while the show itself misses the actual point of Star Trek.

olliebean

Watching episode 2, even on its own terms wasn't 90% of episode 1 completely pointless?

Mobbd

Quote from: olliebean on March 13, 2022, 10:30:30 AMWatching episode 2, even on its own terms wasn't 90% of episode 1 completely pointless?

There's a proud tradition of that in New Trek for some reason. The show they trailed usually ceases to exist after a couple of hours.

I think it's because the ideas have so little depth, it's best to keep them moving along swiftly so that they don't have to pay off or conclude in any satisfying way.

This is also why they favour serialisation in my opinion. There's nowhere to hide in a traditional 45-minute story but in 9 hours you can fill it with lard and hope nobody remembers the details or how the story began.

Mobbd

Quote from: grainger on March 13, 2022, 07:02:21 AMOh god. It sounds like this show (I'm not watching it, nor will I) is just "remember when this happened in Star Trek?", stretching out to the horizon, while the show itself misses the actual point of Star Trek.

That's how it sounds to me too. A chaos of memorable things (intellectual properties!!) blitzed up in a tempest of "high stakes" alternate universe or time travel nonsense that is impossible for a thinking mind to follow. But if it all sounds important and the shrapnel keeps blowing in everyone's faces, the dummies will lap it up.

olliebean

Quote from: Mobbd on March 13, 2022, 04:37:27 PMThere's a proud tradition of that in New Trek for some reason. The show they trailed usually ceases to exist after a couple of hours.

I think it's because the ideas have so little depth, it's best to keep them moving along swiftly so that they don't have to pay off or conclude in any satisfying way.

This is also why they favour serialisation in my opinion. There's nowhere to hide in a traditional 45-minute story but in 9 hours you can fill it with lard and hope nobody remembers the details or how the story began.

It didn't help that they spent 90% of the "previously" bit at the start recapping stuff that had absolutely no bearing on the episode to come. Otherwise I'd probably have just forgotten how pointless episode 1 was and not commented on it.

Alberon

Episode one seemed about revamping the characters after last season collapsed in on itself.

Episode two was all right though I found myself starting to skip near the end.

Zero Gravitas

Quote from: Malcy on March 12, 2022, 01:18:27 AMSaw both of those references mentioned.

One I did miss was that the
Spoiler alert
Ferengi skull was accompanied by the Staff of the Grand Nagus. But was it Zak's or Rom's I wonder!
[close]

Spoiler alert

Meaningless filler text also mentions them missing the chance to genocide the vulkans with a 'Metreon Cascade' which was the weapon that gave Neelix PTSD in VOY Jetrel
[close]

Small Man Big Horse

I think I'm not going to bother with this anymore, I just find myself getting too annoyed with each episode. All of the preachy patronising shit about the Earth of 2024 was especially irritating, I know we're all fucking cunts who act selfishly and really don't need reminding of that.

I'm fond of Picard and had high hopes of Q making this more fun, but as well as the poor script this was really dull for far too long once again, I don't care about any of the characters apart from Seven and Picard, and all of the Borg Queen nonsense was tedious.

Malcy

They've always been a bit preachy about the past they find themselves in but I did do a bit of an eye roll in this one.

I was really hoping for a modern version of the grey blobby heads after doing the slingshot. I enjoyed the Rios scenes in the clinic though. I just have the feeling now that they are going to drag out what could have been a 5/6 part miniseries over the space of 10 episodes.

Apparently Q
Spoiler alert
Isn't in S3 as he had previously stated.
[close]

Still can't bring myself to go back to DSC and with LD, Prodigy & SNW still to come I don't feel the need so this will fill the time before them and still trying to stay optimistic.

Zero Gravitas

For comparison, Past Tense Part 1 had gotten to this narrative point in just under 10 minutes including credits and a comic relief bit with Quark.

Malcy

And had Dick Miller in it which is a bonus alone.

bakabaka

I gave up on this part way through Q's first speech in episode 2. I just felt that if the only way to make Picard seem optimistic and good was to make everything else pantomimically crap and evil then there was no point.
Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on March 18, 2022, 07:06:23 PMI'm fond of Picard and had high hopes of Q making this more fun
Same here. Time to cut our losses, sadly.

phantom_power

Are we supposed to know why raffi cares that much about Elrond or whatever his name is? And why when people are sad in badly written programmes it makes them act like fucking idiots?

olliebean

When the Borg Queen's frame fell forwards, with her in it, in the pre-credits bit, did anyone not think of Bobby Davro?

JamesTC

Quote from: phantom_power on March 22, 2022, 08:11:47 AMAre we supposed to know why raffi cares that much about Elrond or whatever his name is? And why when people are sad in badly written programmes it makes them act like fucking idiots?

EMOTIONS

phantom_power

I quite liked the Raffi character before but in the space of about five minutes it made me hate her immensely. Rios acting the fucking idiot to get himself sent to the hospital and then arrested was annoying too. And the on-the-nose social commentary. And the "make it up as you go along" Borg/doctor interface thing. They really can just spin that any way they want as it makes no sense anyway.

We already know Akiva Goldsman is a trash merchant but Michael fucking Chabon is involved in this

Malcy

Thought that was a bit of a mess. Should have known it was going to fall back into bad habits.

The scene on the bus with
Spoiler alert
Kirk Thatcher
[close]
was really odd. Found it a bit cringey.

So many questions and just not arsed with the answers.

Zero Gravitas

I thought that was just a super poorly done callback, which it was to be fair, seems like the sort of shit explicitly designed to appear in a youtube video or "this weeks 20 secret Picard details" blogspam.

There's always been a nerdy fun aspect of 'knowing shit about star trek' to star trek, is this perverted ghost what passes for that now? Or is this the natural repercussion of it?

Mr Trumpet

That scene was a joke, like when Zefram Cochrane says Star Trek in the film. A bit of fun like, not something to get cross about.

Natnar

So what did happen to the actual "evil" versions of Picard and his crew in this timeline? Did Q just kill them all so he could replace them with nice Picard crew, are they all in some limbo somewhere just waiting to be put back Quantum Leap style? Or are they still in their bodies somehow just passively experiencing everything that happens?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: phantom_power on March 22, 2022, 10:12:49 AMWe already know Akiva Goldsman is a trash merchant but Michael fucking Chabon is involved in this

I'm not quite sure what Chabon's involvement is now that he's stepped down from showrunner duties after the first season, and so far he's only been given a story credit (along with 3 others) on the second episode. Not that it excuses his shabby writing on season one (which pains me to say, as I bloody love The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay), but I'm not certain he shoulder too much of the blame this time around.

elliszeroed

And now we have
Spoiler alert
Watchers
[close]
who
Spoiler alert
watch over people who have important destinies??
[close]

I think I bailed on the first season around episode five, it'll probably be the same here. The show just seems to throw everything at the wall- Q, Guinan, mirror universe, borg, time travel... and it all feels so random, like the writers sat in a circle one day and the plot came out of a "yes, and..." session.

Anything can happen, because no one cares. Remember: Picard is a robot now. Fucksake.

Mobbd

Quote from: Mr Trumpet on March 25, 2022, 08:48:08 AMThat scene was a joke, like when Zefram Cochrane says Star Trek in the film. A bit of fun like, not something to get cross about.

Are you still enjoying this?

Mr Trumpet

Quote from: Mobbd on March 25, 2022, 02:14:03 PMAre you still enjoying this?

The modern-day setting is a bit of a yawn but otherwise yeah. Santiago Cabrera is great.

Deanjam

Quote from: elliszeroed on March 25, 2022, 12:44:19 PMAnything can happen, because no one cares. Remember: Picard is a robot now. Fucksake.

Occasionally I remember this at random times and just laugh. Do we reckon it was done so that they can just recast the part when Stewart is gone?

JamesTC

Quote from: Deanjam on March 25, 2022, 02:41:14 PMOccasionally I remember this at random times and just laugh. Do we reckon it was done so that they can just recast the part when Stewart is gone?

It was done so they can give him a grand sacrifice* but he can still be there in Season 2 and 3.

*yes, I am well aware that he made a grand sacrifice by dying of natural causes. Roland Emmerich would be embarrassed.

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: Zero Gravitas on March 24, 2022, 09:41:11 PMI thought that was just a super poorly done callback, which it was to be fair, seems like the sort of shit explicitly designed to appear in a youtube video or "this weeks 20 secret Picard details" blogspam.

To be honest, I thought it was funny enough. Strictly necessary? Probably not, but not worth a complaint for me.

Spoiler alert
This 'watchers' business. Aside from being cheesy imo, it doesn't gel entirely with previous time travel stories. So they're not there to protect the timeline as a whole (cos let's face it, if they were they're clearly not very good at it), but just the destinies certain people. Ok that's fine, but the death of Gabriel Bell in DS9's "Past Tense" erased Picard from history. Did they know Sisko would fix it and left him to it? Or was BC or someone else in there with Sisko really a watcher?

Unless they tie it altogether really well, it strikes me as something that doesn't really need to exist and just raises far more questions within the lore than it answers.

There was a Guardian of Forever vibe off the way the Laris clone spirited Picard away too, but the Guardian itself never really gave a shit what people did with it until after The Temporal Cold War, so it seems an unlikely link.
[close]

The Borg Queen continues to be brilliant.

Mr Trumpet

Those questions are pre-existing though, if
Spoiler alert
the watchers turn out to be Gary 7's mob from TOS
[close]

kalowski

Spoiler alert
Why is Guinan young? She wasn't young in Time's Arrow which is set 200 years before this
[close]