Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:04:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Starmer VIII: Labour will set you free

Started by pancreas, March 16, 2022, 08:54:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buelligan

To me anyway, the whole obsession with the possession (or not) of this or that lump of flesh is deeply symptomatic of the unwell state of our culture.   

We create and maintain a society which constantly emphasises the importance of having.  We need one that understands that even if you lose your legs, your mind, money or genitals, you are who you are.  Having or not having is nothing to do with being.  No one else gets to tell you.  With or without that shit, it is you who does you.

IMO, the transphobia issue is a part, that we're able to see right now, of a far greater malady.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Buelligan on March 31, 2022, 11:27:32 AMeven if you lose your legs, your mind, money or genitals, you are who you are.

Unfortunately, that doesn't apply to me. My entire personality is housed in my right fibula.

Sebastian Cobb

I've met some people where 'rock climber' seems to be their entire personality so I think losing limbs would fundamentally change who they are. Possibly for the better in fact.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: phantom_power on March 31, 2022, 11:19:52 AMThey seem to think there are two types of trans people. "Proper" ones that have had surgery and do their best to fit in and look like women, and predatory men who dress as women for sexual thrills and possibly to assault women. They don't seem to think the latter is a very small percentage, or that there are any other possibilities. The also don't seem to realise, or pretend not to, that for transphobes those two are the same thing.

A lot of it goes back to the posts earlier about having to live as a woman for a significant amount of time before being able to have surgery so being a woman with a penis is a necessary step all trans people go through, regardless of where their destination is. These "soft transphobes" who are OK with the concept of trans women but not of women with penises don't seem to realise this, or haven't thought it through, or just as likely don't care. Possibly they even know but that makes things a bit too complicated and can't be communicated in a soundbite

Yeah I've seen some people use 'crossdresser' as synonymous with 'trans but hasn't had work done' which is obvs offensive and wrong, and would be the complete opposite of crossdressing if, for example, someone came out as trans today and looked the same as they did yesterday (which of course they could choose to do long term if they wanted).

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on March 30, 2022, 12:23:27 AMI quite like what I've seen of Neville.

He's absolutely perfect for this shower of shit. A multi-millionaire property developer lauded for letting the homeless temporarily stay in one of his (unused) buildings over Christmas is something that gets the Starmerites all gooey. A man who will be "outspoken" on the most acceptable of topics yet completely silent on the root causes of those issues. Plans a massive 'eco-house' whilst simultaneously bulldozing streets and building skyscrapers for millionaires. "A grown up."

Sebastian Cobb

really still hammering the 'he likes football' thing to make him look like an actual person

'he like football and politics too and says hair man good!'

Hank_Kingsley

Did Wes Streeting really burn down a pet shop or is that just a wonderful lie?

Buelligan

Have you read the thing on twitter?  I'm guessing it's a lie but then I remember Ian Austin.

king_tubby

It's the same shitposter who started the Jo Swinson squirrels thing, so yes, 100% true.

Buelligan

Apparently he's a Labour Party aide as well.  Horse's mouth stuff.

I mean, does this look like the sort who would intentionally murder small helpless animals?

Of course not!

Buelligan

shoulders

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on March 31, 2022, 11:47:01 AMHe's absolutely perfect for this shower of shit. A multi-millionaire property developer lauded for letting the homeless temporarily stay in one of his (unused) buildings over Christmas is something that gets the Starmerites all gooey. A man who will be "outspoken" on the most acceptable of topics yet completely silent on the root causes of those issues. Plans a massive 'eco-house' whilst simultaneously bulldozing streets and building skyscrapers for millionaires. "A grown up."

Thanks hzj for saving me the bother.

These facts have caused a few centrists I know to get their knickers in a twists, or more probably kecks as they have penises and balls.

Neville probably upsets some centrists and that fact is hugely depressing to dwell on longer than a second or so.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote@SaulStaniforth
Skys Niall Paterson: "It's not enough to say you're going to look at it... would you increase [benefits] in line with inflation, because if you don't people on benefits experience a real terms cut"

Keir Starmer: "Yeah, I think we've got to look at it"

Pathetic.

https://twitter.com/SaulStaniforth/status/1509783686094503939

I think Starmer says "for that very reason" after "Yeah, I think we've got to look at it", but it's still pathetic. Where are the firm commitments?

Johnny Yesno

I hope that won't be his answer to the question 'Can a woman have a penis?'

jobotic

Duffield going for it in the Mail with her trans hate. Good to see the far-right of the party putting in the boot in just in time for local eelctions

Isn't that what we do?

shoulders

All those Mail reading swing voters we're missing out on

Ferris

Duffield is eyeing the next grift. She would have a difficult path to re-election even if she was a good MP, and she manifestly isn't. I've read reporting that she doesn't live in the constituency and hasn't done for some time - pretty impressive lack of giving a shit.

I'm assuming she'll step down before the next election because she realizes she won't win, but blame it on Westminster being "captured" which sets her up nicely for a high-potassium career in substack writing and telling myriad media outlets that she's been silenced.

No point resigning until a week before the election though cos there's a guaranteed salary to be collected first!

Buelligan

Quote from: shoulders on April 02, 2022, 11:06:41 AMAll those Mail reading swing voters we're missing out on

Yeah, I mean because right now when everyone vaguely normal is fucking shitting it over what their next crop of bills is going to yield, right now is the time to tack right in search of tories.  Because, as Keith so wisely says, WE DON'T WANT A REVOLUTION.

No, let's keep everyone who's in charge right now, everyone who's created this fucking utopia we're enjoying, right there in charge of every fucking thing.

If I didn't know he was such a shameless turncoat cunt, I'd think he was a moron.

https://twitter.com/_JD_Black/status/1509878331214372866

Sebastian Cobb

I'd quite like a revolution, I could gaffa tape my kitchen knife to a broom handle.

Sebastian Cobb

such a cool totally not dysfunctional party!

Buelligan

Just imagine what these people would be like if they had the police and secret services under their control.  Imagine a country run by cunts like these.  Yeah.  Frightening.

olliebean

Imagine a country run by cunts like the cunts currently running the country. Oh, you don't have to.

When the only meaningful choice is between the lesser and the greater of two evils, what would you suggest we do? (Start by trying to work out which is which, I suppose.)

Buelligan

Yep.  Maybe.  And work on making sure that the next time there's a real chance of change we've spiked the guns they used to kill the last one.

Blumf

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 02, 2022, 03:35:48 PM

such a cool totally not dysfunctional party!

Regional seems to be the main tool in suppressing the local branches. Opaque and dictatorial.

Really, anything that replaces Labour needs to have grass roots democracy as the fundamental organisational principal.

Buelligan

Quote from: olliebean on April 02, 2022, 04:12:04 PMImagine a country run by cunts like the cunts currently running the country. Oh, you don't have to.

When the only meaningful choice is between the lesser and the greater of two evils, what would you suggest we do? (Start by trying to work out which is which, I suppose.)

And another thing (we can do), support and vote for groups like the Northern Independence Party who are standing candidates in the May elections.  Really help them (like our kittens and many others, did with Crobostic back in the glorious day).  Start building something that works for us.

Look at this stuff ffs https://www.freethenorth.co.uk/local-policies

olliebean

No fucking alternative here apart from the Lib Dems. I'm voting Labour in the locals, because they're the best chance of delivering the council from Tory control (unless the LD's fuck it up with their stupid misleading graphs again), and because judging by my doorstep conversation with one of their candidates, they're as disillusioned with the current leadership as I am.