Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:26:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Trek Picard S2

Started by Malcy, June 16, 2021, 06:50:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spoon of Ploff

I'm honestly starting to fear this is worse than Season 1.

elliszeroed

I can't tell if Alison Pill is a bad actress with a bad part, a good actress with a bad part, or legitimately drunk in some of these scenes.

The only other thing I've seen her in is Dear Wendy about ten years ago, where she was good (and got her mams out).

Deanjam

Quote from: elliszeroed on April 02, 2022, 05:58:22 PMI can't tell if Alison Pill is a bad actress with a bad part, a good actress with a bad part, or legitimately drunk in some of these scenes.

The only other thing I've seen her in is Dear Wendy about ten years ago, where she was good (and got her mams out).

It's a bad part. Nothing about that character makes sense. I'd get drunk if I had to play her.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Deanjam on April 02, 2022, 06:58:07 PMIt's a bad part. Nothing about that character makes sense. I'd get drunk if I had to play her.

But would you get your mams out though?

Lemming

Watched up to episode four over the last couple days, not sure if I can go on. Guinan not recognising Picard has got to be one of the supreme writing oversights of all time, assuming it's never addressed. It's not even like there's that many Guinan episodes that the writers, if unfamiliar with Time's Arrow, would have had to check back through in order to realise the issue. I also like how Guinan judges humanity as being a hopeless waste of time based on the USA, or even just Los Angeles. America = humanity, and America's problems are humanity's problems. To be fair, Star Trek writers have always done that.

It's not quite as bad as season one just yet, but only because season one was devastatingly abominable.

Only positive thing I can say is that Seven and Raffi have some good chemistry and it feels like they'd be fun to watch in any context other than this (ie saying shit Marvel-esque one-liners and driving cars around fast).

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: Lemming on April 02, 2022, 09:54:42 PMWatched the first four episodes over the last couple days, not sure if I can go on. Guinan not recognising Picard has got to be one of the supreme writing oversights of all time, assuming it's never addressed. It's not even like there's that many Guinan episodes that the writers, if unfamiliar with Time's Arrow, would have had to check back through in order to realise the issue.

The explanation is that she doesn't recognise him because Picard came back from the bad future in which Times Arrow didn't happen.

And yes, I know we're getting into all sorts of paradoxes there.

JamesTC

The explanation me and a couple of friends came up with when chatting about it the other day is that an evil Kirk and Spock must have come back in time to find the whales and that is why Kirk Thatcher has still clearly been injured on the bus in 2024 despite the normal future still not happening. Which makes sense of Guinan not recognising Picard.

Although Picard not wondering why Guinan didn't recognise him is weird. Almost as if the explanation that Time's Arrow didn't happen is one thought up after they made it.

beanheadmcginty

If they're supposed to be in 2024, how come Data's grandad (or whoever he's supposed to be) has the use of Star Trek-level advanced flying forcefield technology?

Alberon

Because the series is written by a pack of baboons?

JamesTC

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on April 02, 2022, 10:26:45 PMIf they're supposed to be in 2024, how come Data's grandad (or whoever he's supposed to be) has the use of Star Trek-level advanced flying forcefield technology?

It is the 2024 of the Star Trek universe. In the DS9 episode Past Tense, they go to 6 months after this and they clearly have technology not of our current present. I'm happy that they at least acknowledge a divergent point after TOS, Voyager and Enterprise showed present day to be the same in the Star Trek universe.

Though World War 3 starting in 2026 seems pretty realistic for our universe too.

I still think this show is complete shit, by the way.

Alberon

If they're going down that route there is the problem of the Eugenics War of the late 20th century after which Khan legged it in his own starship (albeit a sublight one).

JamesTC

Quote from: Alberon on April 02, 2022, 11:21:26 PMIf they're going down that route there is the problem of the Eugenics War of the late 20th century after which Khan legged it in his own starship (albeit a sublight one).

The explanation, I believe developed in the novels, is that the war was kept secret from much of society.

DS9 gets the date wrong but that is confirmed to be a production error rather than an intentional attempt to try to retcon it.

elliszeroed

Okay, my drunken idea:

S1: Picard + Data. Picard runs around the galaxy to restore Data. Maybe has to fight Romulans who are against synthetic life. Some of them can be samurai as well, if you really fucking must.

S2: Picard + Borg. The Borg is without a queen so look to Picard, as their former Locutus. Picard turns the Borg into a Federation like democracy. Yay. Worf's son somehow becomes head of the Klingon High Council

S3: Picard + Q. Q always believed that Picard was the best that humanity has to offer, puts him through a bunch of tests, argues with other Q, Picard saves the galaxy. Throw in the Prophets/ Sisko for a nostalgia pop, if you really fucking must.

S4: Picard fucks Beverly Crusher. While Wesley and The Traveller watch. Captain Nog becomes an Admiral.

The end. Not fucking hard is it?

Alberon

Needs more Jeffries Tubes, but not bad apart from that.

Malcy

The Eugenics war thing was brought up in an interview with show runners recently. I can't remember the ins and outs.

Here it is - https://trekmovie.com/2022/03/27/showrunner-explains-how-star-trek-picard-is-handling-time-travel-and-the-eugenics-wars/

Mister Six

phantom_power

This show is so fucking dumb. I am not a massive Trek fan but even I can see how much worse it is than the old shows. RLM are right about how it just points out bad things rather than using them as allegories in an interesting story. And the characters do such stupid things. Why would Jurati get so close to the Borg Queen when she knows she is dangerous? Why is Rafi so ill-disciplined as a Starfleet officer? So many callback as well. Now proto-Data has turned up again and his daughter.

I am locked in to the end of the season to see how dumb it gets but after that I am out

kalowski

And isn't the daughter the same actress who was the android in S1?
Just so deeply twisted back to look at itself without thinking it through.
Star Trek, you haven't thought it through!

JamesTC

At least it gives some semblance of an explanation to the "Daughter" painting from Season 1. It wasn't Data's daughter, it was some ancestors of his.

Sherman Krank

Quote from: Alberon on April 02, 2022, 10:28:45 PMBecause the series is written by a pack of baboons?
Some baboons have been shown your post and are now using rudimentary sign language to demand an apology.

kalowski

Quote from: JamesTC on April 05, 2022, 11:39:16 AMAt least it gives some semblance of an explanation to the "Daughter" painting from Season 1. It wasn't Data's daughter, it was some ancestors of his.
As if any of that was in their mind. Just looking for a way to shoehorn the Horta into it now.

JamesTC

Quote from: kalowski on April 05, 2022, 12:33:01 PMAs if any of that was in their mind. Just looking for a way to shoehorn the Horta into it now.

Yeah, I doubt it was the intent but at least it fixes one of the billion shit things in Season 1. All the while doing a load of other shit things.

JamesTC

They've announced everybody ever is back for Season 3.

Malcy

Quote from: JamesTC on April 05, 2022, 06:24:55 PMThey've announced everybody ever is back for Season 3.

Yep.

https://twitter.com/StarTrek/status/1511388299973124099

No interest in S2 anymore. I want this NOW.

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: Malcy on April 05, 2022, 07:18:49 PMYep.

https://twitter.com/StarTrekOnPPlus/status/1511388196398985219

So they're doing what they should've done in the first place and having the full TNG re-union as they all attempt to save the galaxy on their zimmerframes.

Wonder will they really stay faithful to the TNG Klingon design for Worf like they said they would or will there be "subtle" nods to Discovery's Klingorc design integrated in?

EDIT: Riker has to do this in it: https://youtu.be/-OlyrAt4YsE?t=39

JamesTC

Quote from: Malcy on April 05, 2022, 07:18:49 PMYep.

https://twitter.com/StarTrek/status/1511388299973124099

No interest in S2 anymore. I want this NOW.

Picard is holding a gun in the trailer like an action hero.

I believe Mike Stoklasa described it as a rollercoaster into a grave. That seems quite apposite.

My early prediction is that Picard dies and they all have a card game in his memory.

Malcy

Quote from: JamesTC on April 05, 2022, 07:30:28 PMPicard is holding a gun in the trailer like an action hero.

I believe Mike Stoklasa described it as a rollercoaster into a grave. That seems quite apposite.

My early prediction is that Picard dies and they all have a card game in his memory.

I wonder if Worf is still the Capt of the Enterprise-E. There's a big convention at the weekend. Probably more stuff to come from all series then.

Alberon

I actually really want to know what happened to the Enterprise-E. Plenty of guff about the Ent-D and the Stargazer but I want to know where the current Enterprise is.

Malcy

Quote from: Alberon on April 05, 2022, 07:50:06 PMI actually really want to know what happened to the Enterprise-E. Plenty of guff about the Ent-D and the Stargazer but I want to know where the current Enterprise is.

Worf was Captain at the time of the synths attacking Mars. It was in the book that was the prequel to the first series.

I was reading it but gave up after a line about some scientist that's working with Geordie at Utopia Planitia and his thought that was something like "hmmm strange, I don't remember her being a midget" or something like that. Was absolute shite.

There's also a Big Finish style audio play that's just came out for Picard. Has Seven & Raffi in it.

Malcy

Anyone else getting Lore vibes from Spiner? I keep watching it.