Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:04:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Trek Picard S2

Started by Malcy, June 16, 2021, 06:50:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: Malcy on April 05, 2022, 08:37:10 PMAnyone else getting Lore vibes from Spiner? I keep watching it.

I presumed it was whatever member of the Soong dynasty that was in S1.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Malcy

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on April 05, 2022, 08:52:49 PMI presumed it was whatever member of the Soong dynasty that was in S1.

Ah yeah forgot about him.

Malcy

JamesTC

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on April 05, 2022, 08:55:58 PMNo Wil Wheaton, no deal.

Nah, hope he appears in a badly photoshopped promo picture. His smirking in the Picard Aftershow has absolutely turned me on him.

phantom_power

It doesn't matter who is in the cast. It will still be written and produced by fuckwits

Mobbd

Season 2 is absolute garbage.

As well as all the moronic writing (and I'm not talking about "not my Star Trek!"-type stuff here but really moronic, incompetent writing that makes you realise they don't remember what TV is like let alone Star Trek) it's just so horribly, horribly boring to look at.

That Season 3 trailer, as someone has already said, is what they should have done on Day 1. Old Man Picard is slumming it as a beekeeper or something and has to come out of retirement to do something or other. Preferably not save the whole universe though.

Even so, it will be shit. The expertise needed to write that show is simply not in the room. How many times have we been "cautiously optimistic" about a new trailer or a promised "change of direction" now? I count five. Five times.

Alberon

They started filming season 3 straight after season 2 so there's no time for them to learn lessons even if they realised they needed to.

Mobbd

Quote from: Malcy on April 05, 2022, 07:18:49 PMNo interest in S2 anymore. I want this NOW.

Quote from: Mobbd on April 06, 2022, 10:48:33 AMEven so, it will be shit. The expertise needed to write that show is simply not in the room. How many times have we been "cautiously optimistic" about a new trailer or a promised "change of direction" now? I count five. Five times.

The trouble is, these guys are bad at writing scripts and good at making trailers.

This is because they're business people, not creative people. They want to exploit a property and a market and that's about the extent of it.

Scripts are art. Trailers are marketing.

And we fall for it again and again.

Sherman Krank

Releasing a trailer for season 3 halfway through season 2 reeks of desperation, particularly that trailer.
It's pretty much 'Wait don't go, look at all the lovely fan service you'll miss if you walk away now'.
I see Paramount+ have slashed the price of their monthly premium subs in the US from $10 to $2 from March to May (under the guise of a 1st anniversary celebration but who massively drops the price of a popular in demand product?).

Wouldn't be at all surprised if Frakes is the only one to make more than a just brief cameo appearance.

Lemming

Yeah, that's the feeling I got from it too. "Look! Suffer through this weird 2024 plot we've concocted for you, and later, we'll give you WORF!"

It has another feeling of "please, let us try again!".
Discovery season 2 felt like the writers saying "wait! Forgive us for season 1, look - here's PIKE AND SPOCK! Stay with us, please!"
The first episode of Picard season 2 felt like the writers saying "wait! Forgive us for season 1, look -   things are looking up now! Rios is a Starfleet captain, Starfleet is redeemed, everyone's having a good time, and we'll give you Q! Please keep watching!"
Strange New Worlds basically sells itself on saying "wait! Forgive us for everything we've done since 2017, we'll make a proper Star Trek series now! And look - Uhura's here! And Chapel! And M'Benga, you remember him, right? Please trust us!"
And now we have this - "wait! Forgive us for the batshit captured-by-ICE-in-2024 plot, here's Riker! And Troi, and Worf! Give us a chance!"

Can't keep falling for it at this point. Although I'm saying this as someone who has 100% fallen for the Strange New Worlds trailer, despite the disaster that it'll almost certainly ultimately turn out to be.

Alberon

I actually liked the first few Picard episodes of season 1, but then it seemed like it all got handed over to another bunch of people who had no idea what the initial plan was and the rest of the story just declined and declined until we got to the absolutely abysmal final episode.

Chairman Yang

So which characters are you gagging to see come back to Star Trek as old buffers?

Old Worf might be laugh, learning about how he's somehow further alienated his son, maybe he has a grandkid that hates him too.

Err... Old... Geordie? I mean Jesus you're already scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Personally I want Old Reg Barclay back, just a fully insane Dwight Schultz failing to recapture the character and causing grief on set 'cause he's forced to deliver this anaemic liberal patter. It'd be great.

Glebe

I haven't seen any of this but I watched a TNG episode on Pick TV yesterday in which Wesley helps a wounded Picard in a cave.

phantom_power

As if there isn't enough fucking fan service in this season

Malcy

Fan service and the hope is all that's keeping me going.

Malcy

I'd rather have shit Trek with good callbacks than no trek at all.

Zero Gravitas

It felt a little like American Horror story! Juggling the same actors around and mashing up genre tropes until you have enough of a shell of a plot to jam a bit of tween-trama level interpersonal conflict in there.

It's all over the place plot and theme wise, is this the system that abhors 44 minute stories somehow trying to reintegrate that kind of storytelling but having a seizure at the same time?

Malcy

Mobbd

Quote from: Lemming on April 06, 2022, 05:08:51 PMYeah, that's the feeling I got from it too. "Look! Suffer through this weird 2024 plot we've concocted for you, and later, we'll give you WORF!"

It has another feeling of "please, let us try again!".
Discovery season 2 felt like the writers saying "wait! Forgive us for season 1, look - here's PIKE AND SPOCK! Stay with us, please!"
The first episode of Picard season 2 felt like the writers saying "wait! Forgive us for season 1, look -   things are looking up now! Rios is a Starfleet captain, Starfleet is redeemed, everyone's having a good time, and we'll give you Q! Please keep watching!"
Strange New Worlds basically sells itself on saying "wait! Forgive us for everything we've done since 2017, we'll make a proper Star Trek series now! And look - Uhura's here! And Chapel! And M'Benga, you remember him, right? Please trust us!"
And now we have this - "wait! Forgive us for the batshit captured-by-ICE-in-2024 plot, here's Riker! And Troi, and Worf! Give us a chance!"

Can't keep falling for it at this point. Although I'm saying this as someone who has 100% fallen for the Strange New Worlds trailer, despite the disaster that it'll almost certainly ultimately turn out to be.

Exactly. It makes you wonder how they're getting their feedback though. How they detect audience disdain through the fug of bot tweets and positive reviews written by compromised critics.* How do they even know to desperately apologise? Do they watch it on broadcast and think "oh, fuck, what have we done?"

(*thanks to the poster here who told me that critics are unlikely to be bought. I'd like to temper my conspiracy theory to suggest that they're still bought albiet with "access" rather than cash in a briefcase. The poster who put me right also made me see that most critics are from once-alternative media such as podcasts and "geek culture" websites whose real take-home pay is the sort of dubious kudos that comes with tickets to premiers and the ability to Zoom with Akiva Goldsman.)

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on September 09, 2021, 06:43:23 PMyeah this is the kind of nitpicking shite that makes me not want to talk to other Trek fans. Did you notice how very very incredibly British Picard is or is that okay because you saw TNG first and therefore it's sacred and holy?

I know what you mean and I do sometimes catch myself thinking "Christ, you've become such a nerd" when noticing and being riled by continuity errors.

BUT it's not that TNG is "sacred and holy;" that's hyperbole. It's just that part of the art of Star Trek is the creation of a consistent fictional universe. Failing to do that now is at best like releasing a Lego set that doesn't fit with any of the existing Lego sets (or writing a really long novel in which Chapter 800 artlessly forgets the important events of Chapter 10) or at worst an act of cultural vandalism in the interests of making money.

EDIT: Sorry Poirot, I didn't mean to dredge up an old comment. I thought I was looking at the current page of the thread but had gone into an older page somehow. I am old and easily confused.

Mobbd

QuoteWorf is Worf
Klingons haven't been been featured in Star Trek: Picard (though we did see an archival photo of Worf in season one) and so when a fan asked if Worf would look more like the Discovery-style Klingons, Matalas simply assured with "Worf looks like Worf."

Hahaha. This makes no sense. The official line about the Klingon redesign is that they've always looked like that (i.e. a retcon) bar the hair being shaved during times of war (i.e. a double-retcon) and that the images on the screen aren't the real canon anyway but more like Sidney Paget's illustrations of Sherlock Holmes stories. Overlooking the ridiculousness of this claim for a second, if it were true, Worf should look like a Discovery Klingon.

Not that I want that.

Or any of this.

Malcy

I don't think I've ever seen a positive comment about the DSC Klingons. Maybe they're trying to move away from the design. I suppose we'll know if any appear in SNW.

JamesTC

If they don't look like TOS/Augment Klingons in SNW then they are fools. It would be cheaper and more interesting for fans.

Malcy

This week is just another episode of nothing really happening. One or two good moments though/

Spoiler alert
Picard's chat with his ancestor and the look on his face when Adam Soong talks to him.
[close]

The Borg Queen/Jurati stuff is just ridiculous.

Spoiler alert
"The guards will be waking up soon". So she just goes straight back to the party?
[close]

Also the 23 mins earlier etc stuff can fuck right off. And how did they all manage to
Spoiler alert
get to the hospital so fast? 14 mins before he's on the hospital bed they are still hovering around talking endlessly for at least 10 mins.
[close]

New Trek is rife with little things like that and they are so easily avoidable.

beanheadmcginty

If you told me that I'd ever see an episode of Star Trek where
Spoiler alert
the Borg queen causes a distraction by belting out a showtune, which leads to an angry human Data running over a confused android Picard in his Tesla
[close]
I'm not sure I'd believe you.

Malcy

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on April 07, 2022, 06:56:44 PMIf you told me that I'd ever see an episode of Star Trek where
Spoiler alert
the Borg queen causes a distraction by belting out a showtune, which leads to an angry human Data running over a confused android Picard in his Tesla
[close]
I'm not sure I'd believe you.

I still don't really believe it and I've seen it!

JamesTC

It is Star Trek in the same sense as the Captain Kirk Hot Wheels van is Star Trek.

It is Star Trek in the same sense as the Star Trek NFTs recently released are Star Trek.

Malcy

There's a new Star Trek game coming from the team behind the Telltale games and one review said it is by far the most Star Trek thing in recent memory or something along those lines. Really looking forward to it. Prodigy is getting a game as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SPhKVDVfBE&t=297s

So hopefully those will be good. I've been replaying Bridge Commander. Have a TARDIS mod in it. Can't beat it even with a DS( Dominion War size fleet.

Sherman Krank

What I took from episode 6 is that Alison Pill wants it to be known she's up for doing a broadway musical.

Also for a minute there I actually thought they'd forgotten they'd made Picard a robot.

Mobbd

Quote from: Malcy on April 07, 2022, 07:50:55 PMThere's a new Star Trek game coming from the team behind the Telltale games and one review said it is by far the most Star Trek thing in recent memory or something along those lines. Really looking forward to it. Prodigy is getting a game as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SPhKVDVfBE&t=297s

That's so strange. So the ability to direct something that is plausibly Star Trek still exists. And the Star Trek Industrial Complex are happy to badge it as official but not canon or to welcome that talent into producing canon. So the way PIC and DIS look and feel are conscious choices more than careless incompetence? I don't understand!

Not that I want to knock Prodigy (after ten episodes I'm afraid I've concluded that it's not for me but it's definitely the best and most interesting New Trek series so far), how did Telltale manage that brilliant Spock voice while Prodders went for cribbing and frankingsteining shitty old broadcast dialogue of varyiable quality? Weird choice from the makers of Prodders, that. Especially when they didn't actually need to have Spock at all and could have, you know, got Tim Russ in to be Tuvok or something. Or got Ethan Peck to record new dialogue if they really, really, really wanted it to be Spock.