Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:27:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pukka Pies for goalposts - a Football League/ National League thread

Started by holyzombiejesus, November 08, 2021, 04:10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monkfromhavana

Blackburn fans not understanding that if your players just lie on the floor for the whole of injury time, the time they spent on the deck gets added on to the end.

Quote from: Ted-Maul on March 27, 2022, 11:31:30 AMOops, I missed that, sorry. Congrats anyway
Typical, ha.
Same at Kendal yesterday, It was lovely.

Pretty much disgruntled Everton and Liverpool fans, yes. CoL are ran so that all profit must go back into the club and the local community. Buying a membership gets you a vote etc. They have a strong (left) political outlook and discourage fans who don't share this outlook from getting involved.

Also, they were set up because there was no non-league club actually playing within the Liverpool area. Since they've started, however, Lower Breck and South Liverpool have joined the NWC league by upgrading 'cages' in leisure centre-type places while we are still ground sharing outside the city's boundary. The club's main aim is getting a ground in the city but not doing so has been a stick for others to beat us with.

I've just seen you're based at Vauxhall Motors which, if it's the same as it was 15 years ago, is a pretty bleak place to watch football. Though I quite liked the tea bar which was more like a cafe where you could sit down and have your pie and brew.

Does getting a ground in the city mean building one? Or sharing with someone else?

Ted-Maul

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on April 02, 2022, 08:47:04 PMDoes getting a ground in the city mean building one? Or sharing with someone else?

Building one, yes. There just isn't anything suitable within the city limits for building on or for sharing. I think they got offered to share an athletics stadium by the council but when the club asked if the shot puts and javelins etc. could be thrown outside the track instead of onto the potential pitch they were told no. It would be a crap venue for footie anyway.

The club had some empty land right on the city boundary earmarked for a building on (and had plans drawn up) but apparently a load of toxic waste has been dumped there before the council's planning dept (now shown to have been rife with corruption) let us have it so that's now a no-goer.

We're going back to groundsharing at Bootle next season which is a relief 'cos Vauxhall Motors is a pretty soulless place, nigh on impossible to get to on foot and nowhere near where any of the supporters are from. The original plan was to groundshare with Prescot Cables this season but they changed their mind at the last minute and left us in the lurch. The club even enquired about playing at Tranmere's ground, much to everyone's merriment, but it's obviously not cost-effective to rent a stadium that holds thousands for a few hundred spectators. I think they even cheekily asked about taking over at Goodison Park once Everton's new stadium is built so they have big aspirations but haven't been able to realise them just yet.

mikeyg27

Went to see Walthamstow FC clinch the Essex Senior League today. Well, that was the plan, but then results went their way midweek so they'd won the title already. Anyway, the game was a between-the-boxes 0-0 but the vibez were good. Also, freshly cooked pizza at a football match is something that sounds better in theory than in practice - a lot of waiting around and inquiring if it's ready yet.

I did find a spot at the back of their stadium where it was just about possible to watch the Clapton CFC game happening on the other pitch at the same time, as long as play was down one end of the pitch. Only one more chance to do that, I think.

Kankurette

What's the deal with Stockport's accounts being published? Apparently they've spent a fuckton of money on agents' fees or something?

Quote from: Kankurette on April 02, 2022, 11:10:37 PMWhat's the deal with Stockport's accounts being published? Apparently they've spent a fuckton of money on agents' fees or something?

Looks as if we've voluntarily published them in the name of transparency which I guess is fair enough.

Fair few losses due to covid non attendances and signings from the football league to rebuild the squad towards a promotion push. £2.6m loan written off by the new owner so no debts.

£130k in agent fees is pretty shocking. We've signed about 8 players from the EFL so that's around £16k a pop to each agent. Feels like the easiest grift on earth. Can't even imagine the amounts cunts like Mino Raiola are raking in.

Kankurette

finnquark

Quote from: Bobloblawslawbomb on April 03, 2022, 12:36:32 PM£130k in agent fees is pretty shocking. We've signed about 8 players from the EFL so that's around £16k a pop to each agent. Feels like the easiest grift on earth. Can't even imagine the amounts cunts like Mino Raiola are raking in.

Did you see the full list of non-league intermediary fees going around the other day? No surprise that Stockport, Wrexham, etc are spunking daft money on these grifters. But South Shields?! The game's gone.

Kankurette

How can South Shields even afford to spunk money on agents?

On another note, I was reading the Owlstalk thread on the Q&A with John Sheridan recently - I forget where he did it, but one of the mods was there - and it was depressing how many people asked him about his drinking habits as a player and focused on that and what a Lad he was, rather than his actual career. Someone else noted that practically all Carlton Palmer's tweets are drink-related, which is depressing. I don't think he's an alcoholic anymore but he does still drink. Most of that squad were pissheads.

buttgammon

Are South Shields one of those clubs that have an unexpected degree of financial support? For what it's worth, Kevin Phillips is their manager now.

Hat FM

Saw Bromley beat York city 3-1 at the weekend to get into the final of the FA trophy. More than 4000 there, 1000 of which were York fans so pretty impressive. Bromley were terrible in the first half but really turned it around in the second. playing Wrexham in the final at wembley next month. i can't make it which i'm gutted about.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: buttgammon on April 04, 2022, 09:26:38 AMAre South Shields one of those clubs that have an unexpected degree of financial support? For what it's worth, Kevin Phillips is their manager now.

There's a team local to Vale, Hanley Town, and they've started getting some decent ex pros in. Carl Dickinson's managing them and the rumour goes that it's a money laundering thing.

holyzombiejesus

I can't stop looking at the top of League Two. 3 points difference between 3rd and 8th, 4 teams on 66 points, and we stil have 4 of the top 10 to play plus Oldham who are deserate for points, Walsall who hate us and Hartlepool who are pretty good at home. Only lost once since mid-January but that's got to end soon, surely? Salford away tomorrow. They're a bunch of wankers. It was only a fiver in to see them play a vital game last week and they could still only get 1300 through the doors, yet I bet they have the biggest wage bill in the division.
I so want to get out of this league. Next year will be a nightmare with possibly 2 big spenders coming up from the National.

Kankurette

You'd think a team affiliated with ex-Man United members would get more spectators, surely?

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Kankurette on April 04, 2022, 12:14:55 PMYou'd think a team affiliated with ex-Man United members would get more spectators, surely?
Why? United fans can still go to OT, those who were sick of PL football went to FC United or drifted to other non-league outfits that had less of a "millionaire's plaything" vibe to them. Then add in the factor that having such people linked to the club is likely to put off most other casual punters.

It's amazing how there's quite a few non-league outfits being boosted by outsider cash now, though. Warrington Rylands, I believe, have Wayne Rooney's agent backing them and are top of the table despite rarely getting crowds of over 300.

kalowski

I'd like to think Rooney chose them because they have the same initials, but I see it's his agent and not Rodney himself. Shame.

The Lurker

Quote from: Kankurette on April 03, 2022, 10:20:32 PMHow can South Shields even afford to spunk money on agents?

South Shields went full time at the start of the season. (In the sixth tier which is fucking madness)

Players like JJ Hooper won't come cheap either. They've built a brand new stand too. The chairman's minted but he still likes to plead poverty. They did get a huge legal bill for trying to take action on the FA for ending the season early, like.

The Lurker

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on April 04, 2022, 10:52:27 AMHartlepool who are pretty good at home

If our performances against Salford and Orient are anything to go by, we are very much on the beach at the moment. Depleted squad too.

There's a few connections between us two though. Your current lot Darrell Clarke, Brad Walker and Dan Jones all played for us. And quite a lot of ex-players have played for both: Ryan Johnson, Sam Collins (of having his affair exposed on Twitter fame), Billy Paynter, Lewis Cass, Devante Rodney (who was minutes away from being a club legend), Chris Shuker and Hartlepool born Michael Brown. We also think Lucas Covolan is a wanker, if that helps.

Vale have apparently interested in signing our left back David Ferguson. You heard it here first.

holyzombiejesus

There was that link where you and Swindon contrived to play out a 0-0 draw conveniently assuring yourself both of a play-off place at our expense, too.

You had Hugill for a bit too, didn't you? Paynter's back at the club now, in charge of the academy. Cass was absolute class for us and we really miss him. Not sure if we'd have got him on a permanent but would like to see us try once his injury clears up.

What's the Sam Collins story?!

The Lurker

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on April 04, 2022, 03:46:21 PMThere was that link where you and Swindon contrived to play out a 0-0 draw conveniently assuring yourself both of a play-off place at our expense, too.

You had Hugill for a bit too, didn't you? Paynter's back at the club now, in charge of the academy. Cass was absolute class for us and we really miss him. Not sure if we'd have got him on a permanent but would like to see us try once his injury clears up.

What's the Sam Collins story?!

It was 1-1 but Swindon definitely didn't mean to score! They scored from an overhit cross so there was a bit of tension before the ball barely left the centre circle.

As for Sam Collins, well... his missus found out he was having an affair with a woman who worked at the training ground (we train at Durham Uni) and duly hacked his Twitter account to make everyone aware of it and also let us all know he that he has "a very tiny penis" which he wears "on his head". It made the tabloids and everything

https://metro.co.uk/2016/03/10/hartlepools-sam-collins-has-affair-exposed-after-wife-hacks-twitter-account-5744157/

buttgammon

Quote from: The Lurker on April 04, 2022, 02:26:03 PMSouth Shields went full time at the start of the season. (In the sixth tier which is fucking madness)

Players like JJ Hooper won't come cheap either. They've built a brand new stand too. The chairman's minted but he still likes to plead poverty. They did get a huge legal bill for trying to take action on the FA for ending the season early, like.

Ahh, that makes a lot of sense. It's a sobering thought for anyone who thinks of non-league football as some antediluvian idyll.

JarrowMonkey

Quote from: The Lurker on April 04, 2022, 02:34:27 PMIf our performances against Salford and Orient are anything to go by, we are very much on the beach at the moment. Depleted squad too.

There's a few connections between us two though. Your current lot Darrell Clarke, Brad Walker and Dan Jones all played for us. And quite a lot of ex-players have played for both: Ryan Johnson, Sam Collins (of having his affair exposed on Twitter fame), Billy Paynter, Lewis Cass, Devante Rodney (who was minutes away from being a club legend), Chris Shuker and Hartlepool born Michael Brown. We also think Lucas Covolan is a wanker, if that helps.

Vale have apparently interested in signing our left back David Ferguson. You heard it here first.

Tory Boy Keith Houchen played for both as well

That's all I have to bring to this

Kankurette

The Culture Bunker

Workington won 4-0 over at Bootle last night to set up a game vs Warrington on Saturday that could go a long way to deciding who wins the Northern League, West Division title. Warrington are a point ahead having played a game more.

I listened to last night's game online via BBC Cumbria and it was amusing that the commentators had to move round the ground at half time due to some Bootle fan stood near them swearing too much.

Kankurette

Blinder Data

This Saturday I hope to be at the North West Counties League Division One South play-off semi-final to see New Mills AFC batter Abbey Hey. c'mon you Millers!!

jobotic

The Chats are going up!

Not that I've been this season, but looking forward to showing my daughter the joys of the Isthmian South East Division next season.

Quote from: Blinder Data on April 06, 2022, 04:46:48 PMThis Saturday I hope to be at the North West Counties League Division One South play-off semi-final to see New Mills AFC batter Abbey Hey. c'mon you Millers!!

Saw that the Millers won it in injury time! Nice one.

Isle of Man v Wythenshawe Amateurs in the other semi-final kicks off at 8 - an hour and a half later than scheduled thanks to Wythenshawe's plane being delayed by several hours. Come on the Ammies!

JarrowMonkey

Nothing to do with this season, but while mooching around the excellent Hartlepool United site, 'In the Mad Crowd', written by a fine upstanding 'Pools fan I went to school with, I came across this match

http://www.inthemadcrowd.co.uk/UI/Match.aspx?oid=4675

Hartlepool 1 CSKA Moscow 6

Id almost forgot about this match, I actually went and have the four sided programme, Christ knows why we played them, but stating the obvious, they absolutely battered us