Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:58:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Starmer VIII: Labour will set you free

Started by pancreas, March 16, 2022, 08:54:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: idunnosomename on April 13, 2022, 12:40:53 PMThe ft wants ed balls back

https://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/1514176058714636289

Ed balls. Ed fucking balls

"Labour is still lacking personalities"

Because that's the only thing that these blue tick journalists think voters care about.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Zetetic on April 13, 2022, 12:33:26 PMI think it probably is?

It's not like it was ever difficult for someone acting maliciously (you know what I mean).

Paul Calf

He was very nice to the sort of people who read the FT. Nothing surprising here.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on April 13, 2022, 12:58:45 PM"Labour is still lacking personalities"

Because that's the only thing that these blue tick journalists think voters care about.

And yet somehow they've still managed to build a personality cult around a personality vacuum.

Buelligan

I'm firmly on the side of Nature in that debate.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: idunnosomename on April 13, 2022, 12:40:53 PMThe ft wants ed balls back

QuotePreviously, the tentacles of Jeremy Corbyn's leftwing project reached into every corner of the party.

Just reporting the facts, guv.

QuoteThe former minister adds "all of the policies from the Corbyn era need to be thrown out of the window"

Ah, a true democrat.

Sebastian Cobb

Wasn't it Balls who talked Milliband into weakening his more leftie policies? This is definitely a guy who knows what he's talking about!

Least he won't have to bother doing that this time.

EOLAN

538 Podcast noted that he was the UK 'politician' with the highest favorability rating. Unfortunately they failed to point out that that was an atrocious use of polling.

Old Nehamkin

The modern liberal strategy of pumping out right-wing messaging to appease an imagined insatiable reactionary public while simultaneously broadcasting a sort of coy meta-narrative about how shrewd and clever and necessarily cynical it is to do all this is fascinatingly incoherent to me. It's like they think that the mystical red wall voters who want Labour to become the Tories will somehow magically only pick up on the first part but not the second.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on April 13, 2022, 03:28:17 PMThe modern liberal strategy of pumping out right-wing messaging to appease an imagined insatiable reactionary public throng while simultaneously broadcasting a sort of coy meta-narrative about how shrewd and clever and necessarily cynical it is to do all this is fascinatingly incoherent to me. It's like they think that the mystical red wall voters who want Labour to become the Tories will somehow magically only pick up on the first part but not the second.

"you and I know it's bullshit, but the point is it's the right kind of bullshit!"

the real tell here is that these twats are quite content to vote for proven liars if it's currently working out for them.

Although lying is unsurprisingly pretty unpopular with the wider-public no matter how they vote.

shoulders

It underscores their absence of interest in people as opposed to control. It is the amplification of that feckless, emotionally absent avarice.

The extent to which Starmer is rehashing the Miliband era, one which spectacularly failed to excite anyone and ended in electoral demise, is incredible. This time it is happening without even a sort of tragic, but stubbornly likeable dork as leader.

Buelligan

I didn't like Miliband much if I'm honest.  Imagine the hubris of someone (he is not alone, mind) thinking they should lead the party and run the country, as spectactularly obviously out of their depth as he was.

Sebastian Cobb

Starmer strikes me as way more of a petty authoritarian cop than Milliband. Far less trustworthy and probably more cowardly too. The kind of guy who lets you know you've been sacked by disabling your keycards.

Ferris

I had (and still have) a soft spot for Ed. He always looked a bit lost and frightened, which resonated.

Johnny Yesno

Yeah, I thought he was alright too. He's a bit of a centrist but at least he's someone the left could have worked with. And we know this because of the way the right wing press treated the reputation of his father.

Sebastian Cobb

It sounds like he wanted to be more lefty but got fucked over by the PLP. A running theme there then.

Buelligan

Is alright good enough?  You know we often talk about the real suffering that people in the UK and outside have and are undergoing because of the way Britain is governed.  We need someone on fire with that, burning to change the world.  That's what I reckon anyway.

I'm sure as a boss or a man in the pub he was fine but is that enough, as our leader?

mattyc

I have to admit that Ed Balls is quite popular with me, because every time I remember him losing his seat I have a right good old laugh.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 13, 2022, 06:15:20 PMIt sounds like he wanted to be more lefty but got fucked over by the PLP. A running theme there then.

I think so. As far as I can see, he's not one of the PLP agitating to ditch every Corbyn manifesto policy. From that perspective alone, it makes him someone the left could work with to get at least some of the things we want.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on April 13, 2022, 06:57:42 PMI think so. As far as I can see, he's not one of the PLP agitating to ditch every Corbyn manifesto policy. From that perspective alone, it makes him someone the left could work with to get at least some of the things we want.

I actually thought the PLP were pressuring Starmer to get him away from the Green New Deal stuff or at least neuter both Milliband and the aims of the GND. Of course Kieth already removed any accountability from it by dropping the targets in his pledge anyway.

idunnosomename

Ed Balls is best known for searching for his own name with the wrong box

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: idunnosomename on April 14, 2022, 10:50:09 AMEd Balls is best known for searching for his own name with the wrong box

I think I prefer Sean Kenny's (former Dublin mayor) version of this gaffe.

Buelligan

Quote from: idunnosomename on April 14, 2022, 10:50:09 AMEd Balls is best known for searching for his own name with the wrong box

Steady on, there's two weeks to go!

https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1514568053534740486?s=20

My favourite 'this you?' of all time. Someone who stood as a tory in 2019, now one of labours #futurecandidates, lecturing the left on holding their noses to vote for Keith. Incredible stuff.

Sebastian Cobb

Whoever runs that account puts most our journos to shame, mostly through some very basic keyword searches.

Buelligan

king_tubby

Quote from: Bobloblawslawbomb on April 14, 2022, 05:16:21 PMSomeone who stood as a tory in 2019, now one of labours #futurecandidates

I thought that was against The Rules?

Quote from: king_tubby on April 14, 2022, 07:32:12 PMI thought that was against The Rules?

Haven't you heard? Labour are under new management.