Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:55:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Everything Everywhere All At Once

Started by phantom_power, December 15, 2021, 08:27:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom_power

New film by The Daniels, directors of Swiss Army Man. Best film of 2022, calling it early:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxN1T1uxQ2g&t=1s

Butchers Blind

Aye, looks good. Hope the film can deliver on the ideas shown in that trailer.

Small Man Big Horse

I'm really looking forward to it, I loved Swiss Army Man and have seen positive reviews elsewhere suggesting it's something pretty special.

Haven't been able to find a UK release date and it looks like it's going to be on Sky next month. Don't know if that means a cinema release is off the cards? Or just that they're doing a simultaneous streaming/cinema release?

Butchers Blind

This looks like something I would like to see on the big screen.

Tokyo van Ramming

Quote from: waste of chops on March 24, 2022, 11:18:36 PMHaven't been able to find a UK release date and it looks like it's going to be on Sky next month. Don't know if that means a cinema release is off the cards? Or just that they're doing a simultaneous streaming/cinema release?

At the bottom of the listing there it says the film's now been removed from the schedule.

I've been checking global release dates daily on imdb; until today it had been "tbc". The UK no longer appears on the list.

How likely is it that it's just delayed here? Hopefully the buzz in the US has convinced one of the UK chains to strike a deal. I really hope I won't have to watch it on my shitty old TV. Even The Green Knight got a few screenings in Kent!

Tokyo van Ramming

The UK title should be Nothing, Nowhere, Not at All!!!

I really am upset by this. I haven't been to the cinema since DUNE.

surreal

Hoping for an early blu-ray release in that case, but that is very disappointing now that the cunts at Sky have their hands on it

olliebean

I thought Sky didn't have it after all (and the page linked earlier shows it as "removed").

surreal

Oh that's good then - I just hate Sky and their hold on everything.

My usual go-to for this is the Film Distributors Association, and indeed they do not have it on their schedules at all yet.  Odd for something from A24 to be that far under the radar:

https://filmdistributorsassociation.com/release-schedule/all-future-releases/

EDIT "someone on reddit" has said they work for a cinema chain and had an email this morning about it saying May 13th. reddit link

Tokyo van Ramming

Quote from: surreal on April 15, 2022, 10:04:53 AMEDIT "someone on reddit" has said they work for a cinema chain and had an email this morning about it saying May 13th. reddit link

It's not much, but I'll take it! Thank you for your service.

Butchers Blind

That looks hopeful. Last time I was in a cinema was for that long delayed Bond film, and that was a disappointment.

Famous Mortimer

I went to the cinema yesterday to see this. Absolutely fantastic.

surreal

zomgmouse

it's out in cinemas here in Australia and my partner and i decided to venture out into a cinema for the first time in what seems like forever to go and watch it and that was a terrific decision because we both absolutely loved it. so silly and relentless and full of genuine emotion. huge step up from their previous two films which i thought were just okay

Mister Six

I was rather delighted by this - and even more so when I found out afterwards it was written and directed by the guys behind Swiss Army Man.

It's possibly a little overlong and maybe gets a tiny bit too silly in the middle -
Spoiler alert
the everything bagel gag sounds like something out of Gerard Way's shit Doom Patrol comic
[close]
- but on the whole the script is fantastic, it looks gorgeous (love the nod to Wang Kar-wai in one timeline), has real emotional weight, takes some lovely turns and has a fantastic cast.

And according to that there iMDB out the guy absolutely stealing the show as the husband is bloody Short Round from Temple of Doom! And he's barely done anything on screen since the 1990s. Apparently he became a stunt director and AD, but I'm assuming he kept his acting hand in with theatre or something, because he's sure as hell not rusty.

Anyway, a delightful film, highly recommended.

Mister Six

Oh, one question I do have is:

Spoiler alert
What happens to the main Evelyn and her family in their universe? Unless I missed something, their day goes like this: they turn up at the IRS, Waymond manages to negotiate an extension to 6pm, on their way out Evelyn punches the IRS lady, then all hell breaks loose during which a couple of cops and a security guard are killed by Jobu Tupaki. Their day ends with Jobu summoning the bagel, which kills/absorbs at least four other people, then Evelyn saves the day...

Then we jump to the next day (or a week later, I forget) and the family are sorting out their tax situation. So what happened in-between? Did Jobu/Evelyn fix everything with their reality-altering powers, including resurrecting the people who died? Does anyone remember the mad shit that happened at the IRS building? Did Jamie Lee Curtis give them the extension on account of saving the multiverse? And does Joy remember what happened with Jobu?

I understand why they wouldn't want to labour the exposition right at the end (although they weren't afraid of doing it before...) but it did feel like a big part of the resolution for two plotlines (Evelyn losing the drycleaners and the threat of the bagel) was just missing. Or maybe I just missed it.
[close]

Shaky

Jamie Lee gave them an extension after Waymond explains his and Evelyn's personal situation - JL later tells Evelyn she also went totally nuts when her husband left her so the idea is that after all the multiverse chaos, they reach an understanding on a much smaller, more intimate level.

Evelyn and Joy were the only ones to remember all the mad shit because they were tapped into everything happening across the multiverse, whereas others weren't. They'd glimpsed all iterations of their lives, good and bad, before accepting that it comes to down their relationship and love.

Mister Six

Quote from: Shaky on May 08, 2022, 01:14:15 AMJamie Lee gave them an extension after Waymond explains his and Evelyn's personal situation - JL later tells Evelyn she also went totally nuts when her husband left her so the idea is that after all the multiverse chaos, they reach an understanding on a much smaller, more intimate level.

Evelyn and Joy were the only ones to remember all the mad shit because they were tapped into everything happening across the multiverse, whereas others weren't. They'd glimpsed all iterations of their lives, good and bad, before accepting that it comes to down their relationship and love.

Hold on, isn't
Spoiler alert
that extension conversation in the New Year's Party timeline, not the main timeline? She jumps from the confrontation in the lobby (the one that climaxes with the bagel sucking people into it) into the party timeline and back again. There's no reason to assume she's jumping forward into her own future within that timeline, is there? It's also part of the same "fucking shit up" montage that includes hotdog Evelyn running out on hotdog Jamie Lee and chef Evelyn dobbing the raccoon in to the animal services (and then the "fixing it montage that sees hotdog Evelyn returning and chef Evelyn helping Mike from Glee get the racoon back).

Even if she is jumping ahead in time and that is supposed to be her future, what happens between Evelyn pulling Joy out of the donut and them going to set up the party? Did Joy bring those cops/guards back to life? But we see the party timeline before Evelyn brings Joy back.
[close]

zomgmouse

i thought that was the main timeline and the bagel one was the one she was trying to fix so that the main one would be ok

Mister Six

Quote from: zomgmouse on May 08, 2022, 11:40:42 PMi thought that was the main timeline and the bagel one was the one she was trying to fix so that the main one would be ok

Ah, maybe I need to watch it again, but surely
Spoiler alert
for the husband's inspirational speech to work emotionally, it needs to be her husband saying it, not a parallel universe husband who's coincidentally also meek and nerdy?
[close]

Mister Six

Looks like this is opening in the UK soon, so I hope Brit-based CaBbers will give it a crack. It's on track to clear $50 million on a $25 million budget this weekend, so it's made its money back already; hope it goes on to pull in a solid profit.

I'm also hopeful that it'll get a Crazy Rich Asians-style response at the Oscars (deserved this time, at least), and warrant a return to cinemas after that. It deserves to do well.

Egyptian Feast

Peter Bradshaw says it's shit. I was already really looking forward to it, now I'm slightly worried it couldn't possibly live up to my expectations. If he'd given it one star, I'd be really worried.

surreal

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on May 12, 2022, 05:43:36 PMPeter Bradshaw says it's shit. I was already really looking forward to it, now I'm slightly worried it couldn't possibly live up to my expectations. If he'd given it one star, I'd be really worried.

I thought exactly the same thing.  Seeing it tomorrow morning

BritishHobo

If it makes you both feel any better, I've just come out of the film and his review is astonishingly wrongheaded, completely misrepresenative, and just a fundamental misunderstanding of everything about the film. His criticisms show that he's basically missed the key themes, and I think completely misunderstood the entire mechanics of the story. It reads like this was his fifth film of the day, he wasn't in the mood, and he hasn't thought through his instinctive reaction. Bizarre that such a review was passed.

I on the other hand fucking adored that. Best film of the year so far for me. Glorious. Also the busiest and yet most well-behaved cinema audience I've been part of in what feels like years. Everyone loved it, it was a joy of an experience.

Spoiler alert
The way every joke and idea ramped up and was fleshed out worked so well. So much going on, visually incredible, crammed with ideas, and yet so simple and affecting at its core. I love that we're seeing more films that speak to undervalued experiences, and Michelle Yeoh's character was so rich and well-drawn. She absolutely knocked it out of the park, as did Quan. I've not cried as much at a film in a long time as I did at his lovely little speech near the end.
[close]

olliebean

Seeing this next Thursday, as it was the only available non-audio-described afternoon showing in a decent sized screen at my local multiplex. Try not to spoil it for me in the meantime, 'K?

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: BritishHobo on May 13, 2022, 08:40:55 PMIf it makes you both feel any better, I've just come out of the film and his review is astonishingly wrongheaded, completely misrepresenative, and just a fundamental misunderstanding of everything about the film. His criticisms show that he's basically missed the key themes, and I think completely misunderstood the entire mechanics of the story. It reads like this was his fifth film of the day, he wasn't in the mood, and he hasn't thought through his instinctive reaction. Bizarre that such a review was passed.

I was counting on that. He's one of the few critics I pay attention to now as he tends to sum up exactly how I wouldn't feel after watching a particular film and he rarely gets it wrong.

Thomas

Just seen this. I was amazed, staggered. Thoroughly emotionally engaged, I didn't care too much to try and figure out the logic of the various timelines, though I trust that it all hangs together. Sheer brilliance. I can only echo BritishHobo's enthusiasm.

I was glad to see it in a cinema, too. The properly hilarious
Spoiler alert
rock and racoon scenes
[close]
were joyously enhanced by communal audience laughter.

Took to Google afterwards to get a flavour of the critical reaction, and was boggled by Peter Bradshaw's genuinely stupid review. Happy to see it already dismissed here. He complains that, due to multiverse-hopping, there were 'no stakes'. What about the massive great theme of
Spoiler alert
suicide-as-a-response-to-nothing-mattering
[close]
looming over the second half of the film? Did he close his eyes for an hour?

Mister Six

Or just the notion that each individual human life is precious and worthwhile on its own terms, even if it means absolutely nothing when viewed in the context of all time and space (much less multiple realities)? I genuinely think he was just too thick to follow what was happening, or what any of it meant.