Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:38:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Trek Picard S2

Started by Malcy, June 16, 2021, 06:50:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grainger

Quote from: JamesTC on April 13, 2022, 06:50:53 PMNothing is left of what made Seven the character fans loved anyway aside from Jeri Ryan herself.

Nothing is left of what made Picard the character fans loved anyway aside from Patrick Stewart himself.

Malcy

Jeri Ryan is definitely in S3. And Patrick Stewart's wife is in the next ep.

JamesTC

Quote from: grainger on April 13, 2022, 07:02:31 PMNothing is left of what made Picard the character fans loved anyway aside from Patrick Stewart himself.

Picard is literally dead. Patrick Stewart plays a robot zombie now.

Malcy

That's a point, did the doctor not say that all his organs were functioning properly or something? Does he have android organs as well?

Malcy

Going to be good to see Seven interact with the TNG crew. She was in the original draft of Nemesis.

JamesTC

It is so stupid. They had the perfect opportunity to make him human again by having the alternative Picard not die.

JamesTC

Quote from: Malcy on April 13, 2022, 07:13:15 PMGoing to be good to see Seven interact with the TNG crew. She was in the original draft of Nemesis.

Wasn't that just a cameo? Replaced by Janeway.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted Seven as part of the main cast. She was the most well known character and it would have been nice to improve the gender balance of the cast.

Deanjam

Marina Sirtis has said than Ryan was used as a potential replacement for Troi if she didn't accept the producers lowball offer. Ryan has said that she was offered a part in Nemesis, but it wasn't as a replacement to Troi, though it seems that it was bigger than the cameo that Kate Mulgrew ended up playing. So I presume there was more than one version of the script, because there's no extended role for her to play in the released version, if she was supposed to be in it with Troi.

Malcy

Yeah it was definitely a proper part as such. I think she turned it down as she didn't see the need for the character to be there.

The proposed Nemesis sequel had a part for her and other DS9/VOY characters. Was a big emergency that was too much for the Enterprise crew to handle alone so a Federation Think Tank was created in order to solve the issue.

Malcy

YT version of people would prefer. Sometimes Twitter flings things in to 240p.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Jyz2pVqrEkI&t=1s

Deanjam

For a second I was genuinely impressed at how accurate the voices were, until I realised ...

Malcy

Ach I posted that in the wrong thread didn't I?

While I'm here though, this is apparently an Easter egg but I'm not convinced it's De Lancie.

It's if you call the number from the W calling card that he gives Soong and meant to post it days ago.

https://sndup.net/wgdw/

olliebean

Quote from: JamesTC on April 13, 2022, 07:13:53 PMIt is so stupid. They had the perfect opportunity to make him human again by having the alternative Picard not die.

That is what they did, isn't it? They just didn't mention it. But otherwise, how would the doctor not realise that he wasn't human? Surely Picard isn't an android now in the same way that Seven/Annika isn't an ex-Borg now.

Lemming

But the doc's defibrator exploded when she tried to restart his heart, and Seven or someone had a line about how he's "had a few implants", which I assumed was their attempt to keep the doc in the dark about the fact that Picard is an android zombie from the future (still can't type that without laughing). The doc cited the defibrator exploding when she was grilling Rios with the whole "who are you really" interrogation, and said it was impossible for the equipment to malfunction like that, so the only explanation is that Picard is still a robot.

Which doesn't make sense of course if Seven's no longer ex-Borg. Unless evil alternate Picard also had the same exact nonsensical adventure as our Picard a couple years ago and ended up in an identical android body.

Malcy

There was even a reply of "which one" in response to that which was met with "all of them".

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: Lemming on April 13, 2022, 10:26:46 PMWhich doesn't make sense of course if Seven's no longer ex-Borg. Unless evil alternate Picard also had the same exact nonsensical adventure as our Picard a couple years ago and ended up in an identical android body.

According to Q in the second episode, Evil Picard does have a synth Golem body. When showing off Alternate Dukat's skull, he mentions that Dukat was responsible for Evil Picard needing a full body transplant.

Which sucks, because Dukat's nemesis should still be Sisko, even in the Alternate reality.

grainger

Quote from: Malcy on April 13, 2022, 07:38:22 PMThe proposed Nemesis sequel had a part for her and other DS9/VOY characters. Was a big emergency that was too much for the Enterprise crew to handle alone so a Federation Think Tank was created in order to solve the issue.

Oh god.

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: Malcy on April 13, 2022, 07:38:22 PMThe proposed Nemesis sequel had a part for her and other DS9/VOY characters. Was a big emergency that was too much for the Enterprise crew to handle alone so a Federation Think Tank was created in order to solve the issue.

Was this the proposed sequel where Shinzon somehow comes back to life and and goes travelling through time to recruit Khan and some other previous Star Trek baddies? So Picard would have to also go back in time to get Data back, go get Kirk & Spock and also Johnny fucking Archer for some reason?

beanheadmcginty

Mate of mine suggested a good (stoned) idea for a Picard series: do it like that Deep Space 9 episode where they went back to the TOS tribbles episode, except it's a game of cat and mouse between Picard and Q as he goes back through old TNG episodes changing things and Picard and his new pals have to get things back on course. TBF it's a bit too much like the premise of Quantum Leap (which opens up other problems) if you're not stoned, and Christ knows how difficult it is to digitally comp people into old TV episodes these days (he reckoned it was a piece of piss), but I'd definitely watch that.

grainger

None of these ideas - "baddies", revisiting old episodes - contain any elements that actually make Trek good.

Yes, sequels or callbacks to old episodes can be fun, but they're not remotely sufficient for an entire series or a standalone movie. And I'd argue that the perceived need to have a "villain" in every TNG movie was a major problem for the movie series.

beanheadmcginty

Can't believe they decided to cast the one actor who to my eye looks like an exact cross between Dwight Schultz and Doctor Bashir in this latest episode. Really confused me for a fair few scenes until I realised he was neither and actually that other bloke from BSG.

elliszeroed

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on April 15, 2022, 11:12:47 AMCan't believe they decided to cast the one actor who to my eye looks like an exact cross between Dwight Schultz and Doctor Bashir in this latest episode. Really confused me for a fair few scenes until I realised he was neither and actually that other bloke from BSG.

Same! I thought it was Bashir!

Lemming

Sat numb throughout episode seven. Is what it is. The Picard's mind stuff was thoroughly awful, start to finish. Only reaction I had to anything was sitting upright and saying "hang on what the fuck" when Rios beamed the doc and her kid aboard the ship, that could go off in an interesting direction. I do wonder if they're clearing the pieces off the board so to speak to prepare for the "please trust us this time, we'll try again!" direction that season three might take. Rios seems to be setting up to do the whole "I am so deeply in love with this doctor from the past that I cannot return to my own time, I belong here now, goodbye forever" thing.

The Guinan actor does a pretty phenomenal Whoopi impression, exact same cadence and all.

Wonderful Butternut

Spoiler alert
So Picard's Dad didn't beat his wife and just locked her in a room cos she was crazy and wouldn't get treatment.

That's makes him a bit less horrible... I guess? Not sure how much though. I know Yvette has the right to refuse treatment, but surely there's a better way to deal with that in the 24th century than locking her in a room? Maybe a medical professional was on their way over to Chateau Picard to deem her not compos mentis so Maurice could make her get treatment but tragedy struck first.

Presumably the rest of the memory is Young Picard unlocking the door to let her out and she runs out and hurls herself off the roof with her brains being graphically splattered on the ground in front of him.
[close]

Quote from: Lemming on April 15, 2022, 10:10:33 PMOnly reaction I had to anything was sitting upright and saying "hang on what the fuck" when Rios beamed the doc and her kid aboard the ship, that could go off in an interesting direction.

Yeah, why the fuck did he do this? That was stupid.

Wonderful Butternut

Also, is it just me or is nu-Trek fixated on characters being nuts, seeing other people that no one else can, having repressed memories and other people having to go into their mind to help them?

Cos even without going back and checking through all of Disco's insanity, I feel like we've done that before. Several times.

Malcy

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on April 15, 2022, 10:35:02 PMAlso, is it just me or is nu-Trek fixated on characters being nuts, seeing other people that no one else can, having repressed memories and other people having to go into their mind to help them?

Cos even without going back and checking through all of Disco's insanity, I feel like we've done that before. Several times.

There seem to be a lot of "mental health is horrible" shit going on. And it being a stigma still rather than being one of the millions of things Star Trek's positive future can sort.

It's just shit.

I get it. Picard thinking his mum was poorly tested but in fact his Dad was trying to do the right thing but that could be considered the right thing in the 20th or even 19th century. NOT the 24th.

It's a fucking shambles the whole thing. It's like 5 different shoes at once.

I like the Rios stuff. There's a good series just in that. The dilemma of do I stay? Or do I bring them to future like Gillian from TVH. But then who does the good at the clinic that she's worked so hard to build. It's such a mess. We're just a small bunch of fans and if we could have wrote it better.

I hate what Trek has become but still happy there's LD and Prodigy. If we have to have all this shite to get great stuff like that then so be it.

Wonderful Butternut

I know you said Jeri is to appear in season 3, but I still reckon the current cast will get cut down a bit to make room for the TNG reunion. So I can see Rios staying in the 21st century, even though it'd be massively irresponsible for him to be let do that.

Picard did say his Dad was a bit 'traditional' at some point in TNG. But if he really had nothing other than "go in your crazy room, woman" then that's a bit too traditional.

kalowski

"You didn't drink your coffee. You always drink your coffee "
This is Picard S2.

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: kalowski on April 15, 2022, 11:01:53 PM"You didn't drink your coffee. You always drink your coffee "
This is Picard S2.

Presumably a habit she picked up from Janeway.