Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:59:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Trek Picard S2

Started by Malcy, June 16, 2021, 06:50:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcy

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on April 15, 2022, 10:55:26 PMI know you said Jeri is to appear in season 3, but I still reckon the current cast will get cut down a bit to make room for the TNG reunion. So I can see Rios staying in the 21st century, even though it'd be massively irresponsible for him to be let do that.

Picard did say his Dad was a bit 'traditional' at some point in TNG. But if he really had nothing other than "go in your crazy room, woman" then that's a bit too traditional.

Also, where is his brother in all this?

JamesTC

Quote from: Malcy on April 15, 2022, 11:06:24 PMAlso, where is his brother in all this?

Locked in the attic for being a proper mental.

JamesTC

Picard's mum got locked in a room for being a big mental. And he has a robot cock.

JamesTC

Bertha Picard. And her lovely son, Robot Picard.

JamesTC

Robot Picard and his burned up brother, Robert Picard.

kalowski

God it's bad. Do I continue with it assuming it's going to suddenly improve. It's not.

bakabaka

Quote from: JamesTC on April 15, 2022, 11:18:23 PMand his burned up brother, Robert Picard.
the famous hologram doctor?

JamesTC

Quote from: bakabaka on April 15, 2022, 11:21:32 PMthe famous hologram doctor?

Tune in for Season 4! It'll not be shit like the first three seasons!

Spoiler alert
This is just a joke. I am aware that this piece of shit is flushed after season 3.
[close]

JamesTC

Quote from: kalowski on April 15, 2022, 11:20:47 PMGod it's bad. Do I continue with it assuming it's going to suddenly improve. It's not.

I tell you. His mother might be called Bertha Picard but you should give this show a wide berth!

Malcy

Picardo said he was approached to appear in this but nothing ever came of it.

Malcy

Quote from: kalowski on April 15, 2022, 11:20:47 PMGod it's bad. Do I continue with it assuming it's going to suddenly improve. It's not.

People have had that attitude since episode 1 of DSC and we've mostly stuck with it.

"Just one more episode and it will get better, I'm sure of it this time"...

JamesTC

My brain is broken. Can somebody give a 24th century piece of technology to a 21st century Doctor to fix my brain. They will obviously be better suited to using it than the person from the 24th century.

Malcy

Quote from: JamesTC on April 15, 2022, 11:26:02 PMMy brain is broken. Can somebody give a 24th century piece of technology to a 21st century Doctor to fix my brain. They will obviously be better suited to using it than the person from the 24th century.

Yeah what was with that?! I know it just seemed to have a big button on it but even still.

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: Malcy on April 15, 2022, 11:25:40 PMPeople have had that attitude since episode 1 of DSC and we've mostly stuck with it.

Well I've ditched Disco. Even if it didn't become less convenient to watch it in S4, I still would've ditched it. Burnham's the greatest hero of all time. Wonderful, but there's only so much of that I can watch.

I'm not finding Picard terrible, my reaction is more along the lines of: "the fuck?"

JamesTC

They could get Chris Chibnall in for Season 3 and it would be an improvement.

Lemming

I'd say try to enjoy it in an MST3k kind of way, but it's not even really good for that.* It's so weird. It's like AI-generated television or something, every episode just formed of random bad ideas that don't feel connected to each other, with elements from Star Trek selected at random and placed (often in unrecognisable form) in situations that feel thematically wrong.

Like Wonderful Butternut says above, the main reaction it inspires for me is "the fuck?". I don't understand why it exists, who it's for, what they're trying to do with it, how any of this stuff made it through whatever quality control process they may or may not have in place, etc. It's just bizarre in a way that's hard to explain. Might as well make a show called PEEP SHOW: MARK which is about an unrecognisable Mark Corrigan living in a completely different place in a different part of the world and is centred around a non-comedic plot in which he, I dunno, learns to become a car mechanic or something, with the only connection to the original Peep Show being repeated verbal references to completely random shit that fans remember, like eating a dog or pissing on his boss' desk. Just strange, disconnected from the source material to the point where you can't even really tell why they bothered slapping the license on it, and more boring and confusing than anything else.

*although "Picard has a robotic cock from the future now" and "Brent Spiner ran over Picard in a Tesla" are two facts that should get you laughing the instant they enter your head

Ant Farm Keyboard

For the record, the actor who appears in the final scene of the episode and who drinks the white wine is another veteran from a superior 2000s show, as it's Jay Karnes, "Dutch" from The Shield, who now has longer hair.

Also, mental health wasn't a concept in France in the 24th century.

Zero Gravitas

Quote from: JamesTC on April 15, 2022, 11:26:02 PMMy brain is broken. Can somebody give a 24th century piece of technology to a 21st century Doctor to fix my brain. They will obviously be better suited to using it than the person from the 24th century.

Doctors are trained to use medical equipment to solve medical problems, that's a piece of medical equipment and she's a doctor.

What's so confusing about that? You're just looking for problems now!

elliszeroed

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on April 16, 2022, 01:12:06 AMFor the record, the actor who appears in the final scene of the episode and who drinks the white wine is another veteran from a superior 2000s show, as it's Jay Karnes, "Dutch" from The Shield, who now has longer hair.

Also, mental health wasn't a concept in France in the 24th century.

I thought he would be a Q. But no, we'll spend next episode with Picard and Guinan trying to get out of jail/ prison district.  So much filler, so many scenes that don't advance the plot or characters meaningfully.

kalowski

Quote from: elliszeroed on April 16, 2022, 08:12:19 AMI thought he would be a Q. But no, we'll spend next episode with Picard and Guinan trying to get out of jail/ prison district.  So much filler, so many scenes that don't advance the plot or characters meaningfully.
Exactly. I thought the same. I quite liked the idea of meeting a new Q and seeing how they were all connected but no, he's a cop who brings a massive swat team with him.

olliebean

Quote from: JamesTC on April 16, 2022, 12:01:41 AMThey could get Chris Chibnall in for Season 3 and it would be an improvement.

Chibnall would give Q an origin story.

JamesTC

Quote from: olliebean on April 16, 2022, 09:41:00 AMChibnall would give Q an origin story.

Picard's mum being a Bertha is worse than the Timeless Child.

Pranet

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on April 15, 2022, 11:45:40 PMWell I've ditched Disco. Even if it didn't become less convenient to watch it in S4, I still would've ditched it. Burnham's the greatest hero of all time. Wonderful, but there's only so much of that I can watch.

I'm not finding Picard terrible, my reaction is more along the lines of: "the fuck?"

I find the quality of Picard, um, variable, but at least it doesn't bore me shitless like Discovery did. I didn't ditch Discovery in a fit of anger, I just never got around to seeing the next episode.

Pranet

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on April 15, 2022, 11:12:47 AMCan't believe they decided to cast the one actor who to my eye looks like an exact cross between Dwight Schultz and Doctor Bashir in this latest episode. Really confused me for a fair few scenes until I realised he was neither and actually that other bloke from BSG.

I thought it was Bashir until the moment I saw this post. I'd forgotten about his BSG double.

Edit - yes I was a bit confused about how come Bashir was Picard's Dad.

JamesTC

Q is a genie. Picard is a robot. Picard's mother is a Bertha.

Spoon of Ploff

Couldn't they have found a lookie-likie for Clive Church?

Mobbd

Quote from: Lemming on April 16, 2022, 01:09:51 AM"Brent Spiner ran over Picard in a Tesla" [...] should get you laughing the instant they enter your head

I haven't seen that moment (yet?) but fuck me that's funny. I can see it perfectly. His knackered old body cronked over the hood and a mildly concerned Spiner behind the wheel looking like someone from Curb.

Sherman Krank

Quote from: Lemming on April 16, 2022, 01:09:51 AMMight as well make a show called PEEP SHOW: MARK...

Blackadder: Rowan Atkinson as 1950's Vet Edmund Blackadder who in his spare time solves crimes with the assistance of his faithful bloodhound Baldrick and talkative parrot Melchett (voiced by Stephen Fry). BBC1 Mon-Fri just after Doctors.

Exposition

It's amazing how all these seasons can go off the rails in both quality and entertainment like clockwork, and they never even start particularly strong to begin with.

elliszeroed

I'm out! I don't recognise characters, themes, concepts, aesthetics in this show. Patrick Stewart, John De Lancie and a few name drops does not a Star Trek series make. If it had a good storyline, I could go along for the ride, but the last four episodes have felt like wheel spinners.

If the series ends with either Bruce Boxleitner appearing via a wormhole, telling Picard that the Vorlans need him...  or Dr. Strange appearing via a wormhole, telling him that the Marvel Universe needs him, it would not be a surprise.

"Wait, Q... Kosh?"