Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:25:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Starmer VIII: Labour will set you free

Started by pancreas, March 16, 2022, 08:54:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buelligan

Quote from: pancreas on April 18, 2022, 10:50:59 PMMainly good. But some big reservations.

For someone who is such a self-confessed sibyl, I find it odd that McCluskey doesn't take the opportunity to do a bigger shit on Rayner. She so very clearly deserves it. People here will remember the evidence. Indeed, all the criticisms of Miliband would surely apply equally to her. He should say it, since it's: a) obvious; b) central to the tenet of the judicious use of political nous that he advances.

Furthermore: why do the pair of them—McCluskey and Bastani—refuse to mention the words 'Sharon Graham', despite talking about the gains that Unite has recently been making. Does it not occur to them that erasing the name of the current female leader of McCluskey's union might reasonably be characterised as patriarchal?

Completely agree about Rayner - I think she's quite protected, I understand that her strength is her network of supporters in the unions.  I think he thinks she's still got political life in her so he's stepping back - I think he's wrong.  She may have life left but it's not a life that serves the people.  She needs to go.

One thing I took from the conversation is that Len's a pragmatist, when he was asked about his initial approach to Starmer (before Starmer's election as leader), McCluskey said that, it was amicable, cordial, he knew Starmer was going to win (so wanted to keep on his right side).  I think that's somewhat his approach to Rayner. Somewhat understandable, UNITE works or worked in partnership with the Labour Party and they didn't want a split.

Which leads on to Graham.  I think Corbyn, McDonnell, McCluskey, all probably see the strength of the Left as partially reliant on the strength of the bond between unions and Labour.  Pretty old school.   Because of that, I believe they would have probably preferred a continuity candidate who saw the relationship similarly. 

I honestly think Labour has been parasitised by red tories (so whether or not we're stronger together doesn't matter, because there is nothing coming from zombie Labour).  I don't think it's saveable.  Continuing to try just expends more Leftist energy that would be better given to something that works.  I think the unions and the Left need to find another way and I think people like Graham probably sees it like that too.  That's not a very popular idea with people still wedded to the Dream of Labour.

Paul Calf

Great way to get working people to campaign for you during a cost-of-living crisis: charge money for the materials.

They're fucking hopeless.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Paul Calf on April 19, 2022, 11:24:32 AMGreat way to get working people to campaign for you during a cost-of-living crisis: charge money for the materials.

They're fucking hopeless.

I'm not 100% but I think that's the cost to the local party rather than individual activists.

idunnosomename

Yeah i assume the CLP budget will buy them directly from the party, in the same way they could use their budget to print their own.

Lmao more of this Balls rubbish from this clown show

https://twitter.com/EleniCourea/status/1516673734375100419

BIG BEAST FACTOR

BIG BRAIN

*concave skull wojack*

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: idunnosomename on April 20, 2022, 10:58:14 AMYeah i assume the CLP budget will buy them directly from the party, in the same way they could use their budget to print their own.

Labour, comfortable with internal markets.

idunnosomename

3p for each leaflet in an envelope is pretty good economy of scale too

shoulders

Maybe they think Ed Balls is Labour's Johnson*. A shameless individual who has attained a public persona through TV appearances showing he 'mucks in' and 'loves a laugh' and 'isn't up himself'... which they hope will cut through to an uneducated and apolitical reactionary public.

*is he an enormous prick?

king_tubby

Didn't Alan 'Brexit' Johnson also go on some Saturday night entertainment telly thing? Maybe they can parachute him in.

Fambo Number Mive

Diane Abbott's been on TV a lot, but then she's left wing so Starmer probably hates her.

pigamus

Quote from: king_tubby on April 21, 2022, 08:12:01 AMDidn't Alan 'Brexit' Johnson also go on some Saturday night entertainment telly thing? Maybe they can parachute him in.

Nice fella is Postman Pat. There was that story, probably in this thread, about Clive Lewis saying hello to him and Johnson telling him to fuck off and take his Trot mates with him.

jobotic

Paul Calf

They're utterly terrified by Corbyn. They're terrified by us.

Johnny Yesno

I've never encountered someone being the landlord of other people heads before. Corbyn has quite a portfolio.

king_tubby

Johnny Yesno

Fambo Number Mive

Quote"As a child who was smacked by their parents from time to time, I don't think it did me any harm."

Well I don't know, he's now Wes Streeting.

jobotic

Does he do any MP work? He's always on right-wing media saying Tory stuff.

jobotic

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on April 21, 2022, 01:50:44 PMI've never encountered someone being the landlord of other people heads before. Corbyn has quite a portfolio.

I'd never heard of this bloke. Turns out he produced Fantasy Football League!

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: king_tubby on April 21, 2022, 01:53:28 PMStreeting comes out as pro-violence towards children.

https://twitter.com/TimesRadio/status/1517106403080609792

It sounds churlish to say 'bullied the wrong amount' but the PLP seems to be full of people who suffered  bullying/abuse that was mild enough for them to overcome and now believe every version of it is like theirs, it explains why they are like they are though.

Buelligan

As a child that was beaten by her parents and teachers, regularly and without restraint, I can say I hope anyone who advocates beating children is first and always in line to be beaten.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: jobotic on April 21, 2022, 02:11:59 PM

I'd never heard of this bloke. Turns out he produced Fantasy Football League!

Turns out he wishes he'd punched Corbyn in the face when the 72 year old allotment guy was a child.

idunnosomename

Counterpoint: Wes Streeting wasnt beaten enough

Martin Van Buren Stan

Quote from: king_tubby on April 21, 2022, 08:12:01 AMDidn't Alan 'Brexit' Johnson also go on some Saturday night entertainment telly thing? Maybe they can parachute him in.

It was The Masked Singer. Johnson's appearance was bizarre but this is even more so

https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/1516945903327891460?s=20&t=v2k8zBcuSouw5arXG8rNYQ

Johnny Yesno

Martin Van Buren Stan

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on April 21, 2022, 05:21:08 PMHoly fucking shit.

Yep! Respect to Ken Jeong for walking off though. Rudi is a monumental scumbag and he shouldn't be able to rehabilitate his image like this.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Martin Van Buren Stan on April 21, 2022, 05:24:23 PMYep! Respect to Ken Jeong for walking off though. Rudi is a monumental scumbag and he shouldn't be able to rehabilitate his image like this.

The choice of song suggests he's not even bothered about rehabilitating his image. It's more 'What you gonna do about it, prolescum?' posturing.

pigamus

Quote from: Martin Van Buren Stan on April 21, 2022, 03:20:08 PMAmazing

Well you shouldn't strike workers either, I don't think they've thought it through