Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:36:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pukka Pies for goalposts - a Football League/ National League thread

Started by holyzombiejesus, November 08, 2021, 04:10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on April 09, 2022, 07:56:28 PMSaw that the Millers won it in injury time! Nice one.

Isle of Man v Wythenshawe Amateurs in the other semi-final kicks off at 8 - an hour and a half later than scheduled thanks to Wythenshawe's plane being delayed by several hours. Come on the Ammies!

Isle of Man won 3-0 in front of 2,700. IoM v New Mills in the final. IoM will be massive favourites, but I hope New Mills do 'em.

Sounds like things got nasty at the Clapton game yesterday. Abandoned due to a mass brawl involving nearly every player and coach. Plenty more info in the replies to this: https://twitter.com/claptoncfc/status/1512845727579484161?s=21&t=vCc6B3gC0CEkwpX5E0za6w

The Culture Bunker

Had to chuckle at Workington being short two players for their key championship clash with Warrington - one had taken up a two year offer to play in New Zealand, which is fair enough, but another player couldn't make it due to being best man at a stag do the night before.

Finished 1-1 in front of a bumper 1,100 Borough Park crowd, meaning if Workington win their remaining three games, they finish top. Have Marine on Saturday, which will be tough, but the last two are against the already relegated Kendal (Cumbrian derby, yay) and Market Drayton Town.

Championship relegation fight still way to nervy and close for my comfort. Can we have our 6 points back please?

monkfromhavana

Quote from: A Hat Like That on April 11, 2022, 12:32:44 PMChampionship relegation fight still way to nervy and close for my comfort. Can we have our 6 points back please?

Nah, I'd say it's finished. Derby, Barnsley & Peterborough.

monkfromhavana

Play-offs are still on! Just. Birmingham City were pretty poor, but both teams defending from corners today was non-existent.

shoulders

Gutted for Scunny exiting the league after 72 years.

Downhill since losing in the playoff semi finals to get back to the Championship several years back.

Usual shit owners full of excuses and Ashley esque decisions.

But nothing suggested a season as bad as this.

When I started following them they had a bad season under Brian Laws but just escaped. It was still a family club then with a sense of community. I dare say it still is, but this is a dagger blow. I doubt they'll go back up next year or year after.

The Lurker

Last week I thought it would be Barrow joining Scunthorpe. They have a ridiculously tough run in but beat Forest Green 4-0 today. The fuck happened there?

Kankurette

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Brian Freeze on April 15, 2022, 08:28:49 PMPhil Brown is in town. That's what happened.
Having previously managed Hull, Southend and now Barrow, he's really doing the tour of arse-end English coastal towns. Hartlepool awaits? He did play for them, after all.

Kankurette

Kankurette

Wednesday are currently 3-1 up against MK Dons and I'm still nervous.

king_tubby

Kankurette

He's slumming it with the rest of the peasants. As is BPF. I hope we keep him and Cammy Dawson stays at Exeter.

ETA: I can never read about Fisayo Dele-Bashiru without thinking about his breakfasting habits.

13 MINUTES' STOPPAGE TIME?!!

Harpo Speaks

Definitely right to be nervous, this club is going to give me a heart attack. Great win though, against the form team in the league. Twine is some player. Then again so is Bannan. FDB meanwhile might just be a serial killer what with his milk-in-first breakfast antics.

Kankurette

Apparently one of the MK Dons team was stretchered off, hence the ridiculous stoppage time. I was worried they were going to nick a draw.

Nice to see us win away from Hillsborough as well.

king_tubby

Yeah, well, I always preferred this football thread.

That other football thread is full of poseurs and bastards.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: Brian Freeze on April 15, 2022, 08:02:54 PMOldham looking in deep shite as well.

Yeah, all over bar the fat lady* after two Easter defeats while Stevenage and Barrow picked up four points apiece. Thanks to Forest Green for rolling over and letting Barrow thrash them then getting up to beat us today.

The Lemsagams - and not just them, two decades of mismanagement and, probably, wider problems in the town itself - have done a number on the club. 115 years of league history.

*this being Oldham, we'll probably have to make do with Barry Owen.

The Lurker

Big game tonight up in Scotland. First placed Kilmarnock play second placed part-timers Arbroath, only one point between them with two games to go. Would be an incredible story if Arbroath were promoted to the SPL. It's on BBC Scotland (and iPlayer) right now, if anyone's interested.

The Culture Bunker

Something of an epic final day bottle job in the Northern League (West) promotion battle today. Warrington top by a point play at home to Bootle - only to draw and let Workington in with a chance, who are playing at already relegated Market Drayton Town, who had conceded 116 goals in the league this season.

Workington only go and struggle to a 1-1 draw, don't they?

Inspector Norse

Oldham fans invaded the pitch and got the game abandoned with 10 minutes left - if it had finished as it stood, with Salford leading 2-1, then relegation would have been confirmed, what with Barrow and Stevenage both winning again.

The fans can hopefully turn this energy toward getting the toxic owners out and rebuilding the club. After the joys of the early '90s, it's been pretty much a long downward slide of misery for the entire time I've followed them.

The Culture Bunker

I was at Wembley in 1990 for the League Cup final (I, or rather my mam, won tickets in a Shoot! magazine competition) it's weird to think that Oldham will be non-league next year.

Mind you, Luton (winner/finalists in the same competition the previous two years to Oldham) had a spell in the Conference too and seem to have come back stronger. Even if Boundary Park is one of the coldest places I've ever been to.

Psybro

Disgusting bully Steve Evans has singlehandedly saved my club from relegation and now I'm going to have to be grateful for the rest of my life unless he later manages to take us down.

jobotic

Yussef Dent

Full time South Shields lost in the NPL Prem play-off final to Warrington Town on penalties. Wonder if Kevin Phillips will go? Seemed like a pretty silly showbiz appointment. They've got to win that league next season, even with the relatively big gates they get you surely can't keep running a full-time operation at that level.

Kankurette

The Lurker

Shields lost some good experienced players when they went full-time too. You'd have thought they'd have pissed the league with a full time/part time hybrid model but what do I know?