Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:15:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Starmer VIII: Labour will set you free

Started by pancreas, March 16, 2022, 08:54:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom_power

The irony is that Klopp is probably the premier league manager most likely to vote for Corbyn I would imagine

Sebastian Cobb

QuoteFor the 4th time the Lords voted to force the UK govt to comply with the Refugee Convention. The vote was lost by 212-157. Labour abstained. I voted against the Party whip.
There can be no exceptions to the rule of law.
Today, the govt abuses refugees, tomorrow it is you/me.

https://twitter.com/premnsikka/status/1519375023718514688

cunts

Fambo Number Mive

Labour whipped people to abstain on voting for the government to comply with the Refugee Convention?

What was the thinking, that letting the bill pass would get a few votes from bigots so lets make it easier for the government to treat desperate people badly?

Utterly disgusting. Glad I voted TUSC in the local elections.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Bernice on April 28, 2022, 08:36:12 AMHe wrote it in the New European, but it's been extensively quoted in the Echo. It is a laughably shit bit of writing, proper 70-year-old in neighbourhood Facebook group stuff.

QuoteYou understand why The Sun will never be welcome in Liverpool.

Why is this duplicitous piece of shit allowed anywhere near politics, let alone the Labour Party?

Bernice

Oh Jurgen Klopp you are very nice
So good at football you've won at least twice
I wish you would manage our country instead
You'd respect the law and our brave war dead
When Brexit happened for months we did weep
But Jurgen the German our hearts still does keep
With Boris a liar and wokeys so smelly
Why did I bother to kill David Kelly?
So jurgen please come and now save us all
Do to our politics what you've done for football
Save us from populism and scandal fatigue
And take lovely Britain into the Champions League!

- A. Campbell, 64 years old.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Bernice on April 28, 2022, 11:28:48 AMOh Jurgen Klopp you are very nice
So good at football you've won at least twice
I wish you would manage our country instead
You'd respect the law and our brave war dead
When Brexit happened for months we did weep
But Jurgen the German our hearts still does keep
With Boris a liar and wokeys so smelly
Why did I bother to kill David Kelly?
So jurgen please come and now save us all
Do to our politics what you've done for football
Save us from populism and scandal fatigue
And take lovely Britain into the Champions League!

- A. Campbell, 64 years old.

There's no way that'd get published in a local paper. It both rhymes and scans.

king_tubby

Wow, thanks for telling me! I'm voting Lib Dem now, they sound cool!

Psybro

I'm not sure we should be using nukes to fight crime.

EOLAN

Why would they still have punishments if these drugs are to be legalised.

king_tubby

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: king_tubby on April 28, 2022, 12:28:56 PM

I thought you could get purged for campaigning for other parties.

olliebean

After sending round loads of campaign leaflets emphasising (falsely) that they're the only party that can beat the Tories (after winning no seats in 2018), the leader of the local Lib Dems is quoted in the local paper as saying they don't expect to win. So the "only party that can beat the Tories" admits they don't think they're going to beat the Tories. Difficult not to conclude, then, that their motivation for pushing that message so hard is to reduce the Labour vote and increase the likelihood of a Tory hold.

Also of possible relevance: the leader of the local Lib Dems is a Tory defector.

Old Nehamkin

At this point what proportion of the electorate even supports (let alone feels strongly about) maintaining the UK's cannabis laws as they currently stand? Surely it's a shrinking minority position by now rather than some animating battleground to centre your messaging on even cynically. I can imagine that poster provoking undecided voters to curiously check out the Lib Dem's manifesto more than anything else.

It's bad enough that Labour are so committed to stubbornly doubling down on any regressive, cruel and inhumane policy position they can get their hands on, but shit like this and their broader tough-on-crime posture just feels so bafflingly out of step with the actual current moment aside from anything else. These people talk a big game about re-establishing a connection with disaffected Tory voters or whatever but I don't think they actually have the slightest insight into the trends and currents of the modern reactionary mind. Half the time they're just warming up worn-out old talking points from the Blair era and going "Here. You people like this stuff, don't you."

Old Nehamkin

Also that refugee abstention is fucking abhorrent, obviously.

Jockice

Psybro

Is the abstention because the Lords have reached the point where they've sent the clauses back to the Commons enough times that now, by convention, they're supposed to give up?  Not that that wouldn't raise its own questions.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: king_tubby on April 28, 2022, 12:28:56 PM

That's untrue sadly, the Lib Dem conference voted to ditch Trident but keep a minimal nuclear deterrent. Jo Swinson was pro-nuking everybody but I can't find anything Ed Davey has said. The Lib Dems have generally supported legalizing cannabis and treating drugs as primarily a public health issue, but have been short of specifics even on things like safe injection facilities, and don't promise to legalize anything else.

king_tubby

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on April 28, 2022, 03:22:09 PMThat's untrue sadly, the Lib Dem conference voted to ditch Trident but keep a minimal nuclear deterrent. Jo Swinson was pro-nuking everybody but I can't find anything Ed Davey has said. The Lib Dems have generally supported legalizing cannabis and treating drugs as primarily a public health issue, but have been short of specifics even on things like safe injection facilities, and don't promise to legalize anything else.

Labour lying again, eh? You just can't trust them on anything.

olliebean

Well, this isn't good. Three major steps towards the destruction of our democracy, voted through in the Lords because Labour couldn't be bothered to oppose them.

https://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2022/04/28/fascism-is-advancing-rapidly/

Paul Calf

He might be a bit of a cock-end.

http://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2016/07/30/corbyn-comments-a-change-to-my-moderation-policy/

"I'm left wing and want left-wing policy but anyone who supports the person who brought that closer to UK government than any time since Atlee is a culty cult cult. I do like that Owen Smith. Such a clever man..."

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: olliebean on April 28, 2022, 03:38:49 PMWell, this isn't good. Three major steps towards the destruction of our democracy, voted through in the Lords because Labour couldn't be bothered to oppose them.

https://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2022/04/28/fascism-is-advancing-rapidly/
Makes sense, but boy oh boy is the author not good at responding to criticism in the comments.

Sebastian Cobb

king_tubby

I was amused to find out the bloke who wrote the Starmer book is Terry Eagleton's son.

KennyMonster

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 29, 2022, 11:04:40 AMWhen did the New Statesman start adding a cuntwall? Shows how much attention I've paid to them recently I suppose.

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.newstatesman.com%2Fideas%2F2022%2F04%2Ftell-us-who-you-really-are-keir-starmer

Its been centrist sh!te since Wilby stepped down as Editor, that was about when Brown became PM IIRC.

phantom_power

"For his critics on the left, who perhaps naïvely believed Starmer's more radical promises during his leadership campaign"

How naive to think someone will do what they say they will do. And which of his promises were radical exactly? Keeping policies that had proved popular? Not purging the left?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: phantom_power on April 29, 2022, 12:55:21 PM"For his critics on the left, who perhaps naïvely believed Starmer's more radical promises during his leadership campaign"

How naive to think someone will do what they say they will do. And which of his promises were radical exactly? Keeping policies that had proved popular? Not purging the left?

I've actually seen big-brained centrists claim it's 'just politics' and to break all your promises and shouldn't be considered a big deal. Which leads me to believe they're idiots who genuinely think there's nothing concerning about voting for someone who you know to be lying because it's working out for you short-term, or more likely, they've correctly realised no broken promise will really affect them and they don't give a solitary shit about the people who will be affected.

shoulders

One has to ask what their reaction would have been if Corbyn did something he promised not to do.

Howls of outrage that shook the bowels of the Earth, I suspect.