Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:54:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Starmer VIII: Labour will set you free

Started by pancreas, March 16, 2022, 08:54:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Calf

I'm gen-x and I think Blair is a cunt. I don't know anyone of my generation whose excitement about the '97 Labour victory lasted into the 21st century, let alone beyond the Iraq war.

Intergenerational beefs are counter-productive. Stop it.

Old Nehamkin

I was toying earlier with the nightmare, future-is-cancelled vision of Blair somehow running for PM again, but I suppose one benefit of the U.K.'s political system is that the job of having to actually head a party and serve as opposition leader would likely be far too unglamorous and humiliating for a jetsetting member of the world leaders club to contemplate going through again. On the other hand, Blair's reinstatement at the top of the party almost feels like the only logical endpoint of Labour's effort to reproduce all of the aesthetic markers of 97-05. This current impasse where Starmer and co keep making supplicating gestures towards Blair's image while the man himself sort of hovers coyly a little beyond their reach doesn't really seem sustainable.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Paul Calf on May 02, 2022, 12:34:40 PMI'm gen-x and I think Blair is a cunt. I don't know anyone of my generation whose excitement about the '97 Labour victory lasted into the 21st century, let alone beyond the Iraq war.

I'm not trying to start an intergenerational beef, the fact remains the most of the most vocal and committed supporters of blair were in their 20's when Labour won. I think it's important to work out why that is I'd have thought it was obvious I was only talking about a subset of people of a certain age who are committed to Blair rather than an entire generation.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 02, 2022, 12:48:01 PMI'm not trying to start an intergenerational beef, the fact remains the most of the most vocal and committed supporters of blair were in their 20's when Labour won. I think it's important to work out why that is I'd have thought it was obvious I was only talking about a subset of people of a certain age who are committed to Blair rather than an entire generation.

Such a small subset, it would be irrelevant if it didn't have establishment power. Your theory is bunk.

Sebastian Cobb

I was talking about normal people not members of the commentariat.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 02, 2022, 01:15:53 PMI was talking about normal people not members of the commentariat.

I know. That's why your theory is bunk.

olliebean

Quote from: Paul Calf on May 02, 2022, 12:34:40 PMI'm gen-x and I think Blair is a cunt. I don't know anyone of my generation whose excitement about the '97 Labour victory lasted into the 21st century, let alone beyond the Iraq war.

Yeah, me too. I'd take him over Johnson, though, and probably over Kieth.

Be nice if politics wasn't about picking the least shit, but still incredibly shit, of all the shit alternatives.

Ferris

Jockice

Quote from: Quote on May 02, 2022, 11:25:35 AMI think they genuinely believe 1997 was some kind of high water mark for civilisation, rather than how everyone else sees it, as momentary elation quickly replaced by disappointment and cynicism.

Very quickly in my case. I got dumped just over a fortnight over that election. On the eve of the FA Cup final. I still don't know who won.

lipsink

I'm from Northern Ireland and was doing my GCSEs at the time that Blair got in. A boy in my class who made a 3D map of Northern Ireland with a huge red hand of Ulster coming out of it said: "Lads, I'm moving. That Blair cunt will have a united Ireland. Is he a woofter?"

Memorex MP3

It's kinda weird how much they hype it up and the massive landslide he got. Obama had a similar landslide in 2008 and it always seems like the objective of the DNC is to play down just how much capital they had because it makes how little Obama actually got done look absolutely terrible.

dissolute ocelot

Millennials probably won't remember when John Major resigned as Tory leader in 1995 because he was sulking. The Major years were hilarious. I absolutely believe Kinnock could have beaten him after the September 92 ERM fiasco.

bgmnts

Saw this bellend on the itv news probably dribbling out a milquetoast, enfeebled plea for slightly less evil actions by the government whilst I was making a cuppa earlier and I almost reflexively spat at the telly.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on May 02, 2022, 09:57:52 PMMillennials probably won't remember when John Major resigned as Tory leader in 1995 because he was sulking. The Major years were hilarious. I absolutely believe Kinnock could have beaten him after the September 92 ERM fiasco.

He was right about one thing though, there were bastards in his cabinet.

Also hilarious that they put his victory down to his pissing around with a megaphone rather thank Kinnock bellowing 'We're alright!' and scaring the fucking horses. If he'd just shut the fuck up and said nothing then he'd have won.

idunnosomename

Keir Starmer is a complete cunt and i will never vote for his small-minded boomer party while he's heading it cheers

Johnny Yesno

QuoteLabour leader Sir Keir Starmer has suggested that MPs who express anti-Nato sentiments could be removed from the party.

Speaking with Times Radio earlier today, Starmer argued that the party had been experiencing a "big conversation about anti NATO sentiment".

When quizzed over whether an "anti-Nato" MPs could be booted out of the party, Sir Keir explained: "Well, I think I've been very clear on both antisemitism and on our unshakeable support for Nato and calling out this false equivalence between Russian aggression, and it is Russian aggression, in Ukraine and the acts of Nato. So I think I've been very clear."

"Yes, these are principles that are absolutely the root of the Labour Party, centre of the Labour Party, and I'm determined that the Labour Party will face the electorate and not the sort of internal machinations and arguments that we have had too much of in the past."

Earlier this year 11 MPs, including ex shadow ministers John McDonnell and Diane Abbott, were threatened with the withdrawal of the whip if they did not take their name off a Stop The War Coalition letter.

The pressure group— originally set up to oppose US military action following the 9/11 attacks — states that it campaigns against Britain's "disastrous addiction to war".

When pressed over whether his remarks ought to be considered a warning to the MPs in question, Starmer affirmed "I'm very clear about my position. Yes."

Sir Keir also told BBC Radio 4 today that he backed an uptick in defence spending, stating: "Yes, I do think the Government is going to have to come back to Parliament and look again at defence spending and I know many Conservative MPs think that as well."

"I'd also say the Government at the moment is proposing to cut a further 10,000 or so from our armed services and I think they are wrong to do that and I would call on them not to do it.

"But obviously I think there is now a clamour for the Government to come back to Parliament and to look again at defence spending and the defence strategy frankly," he went on.

An executive member of the hard-left Momentum group founded to campaign for Jeremy Corbyn's leadership campaign has hit back at Starmer's remarks. Mish Rahman said today: "Keir Starmer ran on a platform to end factionalism, unite the Labour Party and defeat the Tories.

"But after months of unprovoked attacks on the Left, this anti-democratic move would instead spell the end of the Labour Party as we know it," he went on.

Rahman also sits on Labour's National Executive Commitee.

https://www.politics.co.uk/news-in-brief/anti-nato-mps-could-be-expelled-from-labour-starmer-hints/

Martin Van Buren Stan

That's just pathetic. Is there any precedent for that? Ie I know labour is anti death penalty but it would be absurd to expell anyone who personally supported it

Johnny Yesno

It's okay. When he's PM, Kieth will guard the big red button: https://vimeo.com/126720159

Pink Gregory

What's antisemitism got to do with being critical of NATO, Kieth?  That's not what you were asked about.

idunnosomename

Russian aggression root out anti-Semitism tackle the cost of living crisis up to £600 off energy bills protect wimmenngirls

He's fucking awful at interviews because he absolutely sticks to a script of soundbites and he comes off as even more dishonest than Boris Johnson

Key

Don't be nasty to my kKEITH.
He's not what you all say he is.

Hes my big lefty lawyer. He's a Corbynista in a suit. He's in the pocket of Big Burgon

LEAVE KIETh ALONE!

pigamus

phantom_power

I know that when someone accuses me of something I haven't done, my first response is "can't prove it". That tends to set people's minds at ease

king_tubby

Sebastian Cobb

Hope not Hate are using Eddie Marsan to emotionally blackmail people into sticking with the status quo, I guess he is the perfect poster boy for it.
https://twitter.com/sankarawasright/status/1521848982791729152

Paul Calf

I saw them referred to as 'Abandon All Hope' the other day, which seems fitting.

Sebastian Cobb

I've never really given them much consideration before, assuming they were generally OK. But I saw some people suggest they're a front for the Labour right, is that correct? It certainly seems a lot easier to believe given they think this fucking guy is a good representative:

As someone else pointed out, the video actually tones down the butcher's apron compared to Kieth.

king_tubby

Smee
Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 04, 2022, 03:38:56 PMI've never really given them much consideration before, assuming they were generally OK. But I saw some people suggest they're a front for the Labour right, is that correct?

Smeeth is on the board so draw your own conclusions!

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 04, 2022, 03:07:44 PMHope not Hate are using Eddie Marsan to emotionally blackmail people into sticking with the status quo, I guess he is the perfect poster boy for it.
https://twitter.com/sankarawasright/status/1521848982791729152

Christ, that's barely coherent.

'Don't listen to the flag-waving racists who want to send everyone back. Be sure to vote for the politicians who stand next to big union flags while enacting tough border policies.'

shoulders

This guy's comment nails it.

QuoteApathy is caused by the failures of politicians, not voters. The leadership of both political parties are totally uninterested in young voters, and both wanted Boris Johnson to become prime minister at the last election. No one is owed your vote!

If there is not only a lack of hope for the future but prospect of real change regardless of which party is in government then young people will not vote and no amount of scaremongering about the far right will make them.