Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 11:19:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Belle & Sebastian LP

Started by holyzombiejesus, March 07, 2022, 12:46:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajsmith2

Quote from: billyandthecloneasaurus on April 27, 2022, 10:59:31 AM

7.36 - every belle and sebastian song for the last 20 years or so

That's a good reminder that everythings about context: most of the reason that that song sounds risible is in the cheap musical accompaniment and the singers wimpy, amateurish vocals. And the overly earnest lyric. But the basic song is pretty solid: if you maybe tweaked the lyrics minimally to give them a tiny bit more archness while keeping the overall message and had Belle and Sebastian perform it as their new single, it'd probably be considered a return to form by many.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: ajsmith2 on April 28, 2022, 10:26:02 AMthe cheap musical accompaniment and the singers wimpy, amateurish vocals. And the overly earnest lyric.

But that is Belle + The Machine & Sebastian's appeal isn't it?

Neomod

I know. Let's make an unimaginative homage to Gregory's Girl.

But here's the twist......

Egyptian Feast

Murdoch has some advice for listening to the new LP:

Quote from: Stuart MurdochHow to listen to our new lp if you are an established fan.

Have a drink

Understand it's not Sinister, Tigermilk or Arab Strap

Understand we can't take you back to those days and the way you felt then

Listen to one track, maybe track 5.

That's enough for today

purlieu

He forgot step 6: take the album back to the shop and buy something good.

phantom_power

I am quite enjoying it. It is nowhere near the peak of those first 3 albums and EPs but it is OK, particularly Unnecessary Drama

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on May 06, 2022, 10:20:59 AMMurdoch has some advice for listening to the new LP:

I always think it's a good idea to be condescending to the people who've given me a career, too.

sutin

Listened to the album through 3 times yesterday whilst walking around North Wales and none of it is sticking with me at all (apart from Hand In Glove one that I already knew). I'll playing it on repeat until I actually remember any of it.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: sutin on May 07, 2022, 01:44:45 PMListened to the album through 3 times yesterday whilst walking around North Wales and none of it is sticking with me at all (apart from Hand In Glove one that I already knew). I'll playing it on repeat until I actually remember any of it.

We don't know where he came from, but it's said he has walked the hills for decades with his headphones on, his beard now down to his knees.

Malcy

Listened to it about a week or so ago. Think it was ok. Considered pre-ordering the vinyl but hugely unimpressed with B&S vinyl i have.

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on May 06, 2022, 10:20:59 AMMurdoch has some advice for listening to the new LP:

If you don't like it why not listen to some of your old Chris Morris radio shows instead . 
Teen angst in men over 21 is kind of sad. Next friday do the following. Talk to a woman for more than 10 minutes, don't touch a computer ALL day, have a couple of laqers, watch Balls of Steel with your mates.  You'll never have to visit a `forum' again.

phantom_power

It must be hard knowing you peaked with your first few albums and no matter how hard you try you will never get anywhere near that. Or at the least, if you are satisfied just making stuff you like the reaction from fans comparing it to your early days must be a pain in the arse

holyzombiejesus

I've finally listened to this now and it's just not very good. Last song is great though, stands head and shoulders over everything else on the record. Talking of records, has anyone got a bit of a dodgy pressing? I rarely get (or probably hear) bad pressings but the final few tracks sound like the needles got fluff on it.

sutin

Quote from: sutin on March 09, 2022, 03:37:54 PMIf I could say one positive thing about Stuart Murdoch, at least he and B&S haven't been massive terfs in public like their old pals Camera Obscura and Teenage Fanclub.

Using the correct pronoun for Eddie Izzard there... https://twitter.com/nee_massey/status/1579911766376861696?s=20&t=AYj1k6JbXOVmcTeVT-Ln6Q

jobotic

holyzombiejesus

Stuart's on the Question Time panel tonight. Preparing to cringe myself inside out.

SteveDave

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on October 13, 2022, 02:07:18 PMStuart's on the Question Time panel tonight. Preparing to cringe myself inside out.

I saw a clip of him on there this morning and his voice is just like the "Yes or no?" Limmy sketch.

the science eel

scarecrow

It's nauseating the way he tried to use Scottish idioms to curry favour with the crowd - 'of course Scotland can make it on its own - we're no daft!'

Dr Rock

Quote from: scarecrow on October 14, 2022, 10:22:17 AMIt's nauseating the way he tried to use Scottish idioms to curry favour with the crowd - 'of course Scotland can make it on its own - we're no daft!'

I dunno, I've heard that nearly half of all Scots are below average intelligence.

sevendaughters

he wore one of those hats that only confirmed beffs wear

willbo

I've barely heard any of their music, but that tweet doesn't seem that condescending to me. It just seems like he's defending the album's right to be different or sound like it's from an older artist.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: scarecrow on October 14, 2022, 10:22:17 AMIt's nauseating the way he tried to use Scottish idioms to curry favour with the crowd - 'of course Scotland can make it on its own - we're no daft!'

Is it not possible, indeed likely that he uses Scottish idioms because he's Scottish?

Pranet

Yeah not Scotch myself so I can't tell if it is an affectation but he is always saying things like that in interviews. He didn't just bring it out for question time.

I've not seen his appearance- I can't stand Question Time and pop stars always make tits of themselves when they appear on it- apart from a clip that was doing the rounds on twitter this morning which seemed ok.

scarecrow

I'm Scottish, live in Scotland and have actually had the honour of meeting Stu. I thought it was understood that he's always peppered his speech with twee affectations. I know it's consistent with his persona, but it does fuck me off when he has a platform on the BBC to advocate for a cause lots of people care about - on an episode of QT that's being hugely hostile to the cause - and the best he can do is pilfer trite expressions from my grandmother.

Gurke and Hare

To clarify, are you saying that when you met him and there were no cameras or microphones there, he didn't use the "twee affectations"? Otherwise, what reason do you have to think they were affectations when he used them any more than when your gran did?

badaids

Quote from: sutin on March 11, 2022, 03:57:24 PMI'm now avoiding any more tracks from the album until it comes out, but what's the general consensious on this new one?

I've just got round to listening to it today.

It sounds like what I imagine a James Blunt record to sound like.