Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:11:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Cooling down a room

Started by Small Man Big Horse, May 07, 2022, 02:24:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Because I'm a stupid idiot when I split up with my ex about three years ago now I moved to the nearest place that looked like it would be hassle free, and for the majority of the time it has been that. The problem is that before I moved in they'd built an extension, and so now when I open my bedroom window the glorious view that I have is of the kitchen. I'm not too bothered about that other than that the room gets stupidly hot most of the time, I never have the radiator on and even in winter I sweat while trying to sleep under only a very thin duvet cover.

I've finally had enough and am looking for ways too cool down the room, I've got two fans that help (I tried to sleep without one and it was just impossible) but now I'm looking to get something better in. I can't afford a full on air conditioner (and given my window looks out on to the kitchen I'm not sure it'd really help) but I was wondering if anyone had any experience of things like this:

https://www.robertdyas.co.uk/jml-a000840-chillmax-air-personal-space-air-cooler-and-humidifier-white-grey#reviews

or this:

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0881S78KY?tag=experevi-21&ascsubtag=1414054&th=1

Or perhaps this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics-Oscillating-Portable-Humidifier-UK/dp/B07T2C9BTT/ref=dp_fod_2?pd_rd_i=B07T2C9BTT&th=1

I'd prefer to spend under £50 if possible, but if it something around the £100 mark really works and makes them room chilly (I have a weird liking for sleeping when it's very cold) that'd be great, so if anyone has any advice it'd be hugely appreciated.

Pink Gregory

Tom Petty considers...nah maybe not.

Dex Sawash

Those damp-adders work really well someplace with no humidity. Have you considered moving to Arizona or Afghanistan?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Dex Sawash on May 07, 2022, 02:33:32 PMThose damp-adders work really well someplace with no humidity. Have you considered moving to Arizona or Afghanistan?

Nah, even though the crime rate is much lower I've grown to become very fond of Walthamstow.

Catalogue of ills

Keep imagining Priti Patel as prime minister for life, you'll be chilled to the bone 24/7

Pimhole

I spent a lot of time looking into these sort of options a few years ago and eventually had to admit to myself that these cheaper 'air cooling' units are not much better than a fan, even after you've put all the effort into keeping them stocked with ice packs which you have to keep re-freezing in a freezer. They are definitely not going to make a whole room chilly - for that, you really would need to fork out for a proper air conditioner. And without a window to the outside, you would need to get a flue installed by an engineer.

During heat waves I use a gel cooling pad on my mattress under the bottom sheet, chill it in the freezer during the day, slip it in under the sheet and put a fan on until you are ready to fall asleep and you will be chill as fuck. Actually, you'd be better off investing in a fan quiet enough to sleep with it on.

shoulders

Exhaustion is an absolute peach for getting to sleep with a cacophony of noise around you and stifling hot temperatures, so possibilities there include all day wild swimming, contracting long Covid, doing something so illegal the police chase you around.

The electricity is going to be expensive either way, right? May as well get something that definitely does the job (ideally something you can take with you if you ever move out).

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Pimhole on May 07, 2022, 03:17:16 PMI spent a lot of time looking into these sort of options a few years ago and eventually had to admit to myself that these cheaper 'air cooling' units are not much better than a fan, even after you've put all the effort into keeping them stocked with ice packs which you have to keep re-freezing in a freezer. They are definitely not going to make a whole room chilly - for that, you really would need to fork out for a proper air conditioner. And without a window to the outside, you would need to get a flue installed by an engineer.

Ah, that's disappointing to hear, I had hoped something might help, but there' no way my landlord would be up for the air conditioning installation.

QuoteDuring heat waves I use a gel cooling pad on my mattress under the bottom sheet, chill it in the freezer during the day, slip it in under the sheet and put a fan on until you are ready to fall asleep and you will be chill as fuck. Actually, you'd be better off investing in a fan quiet enough to sleep with it on.

I had one of those just for my head but it didn't really help, and annoyingly I live in a shared house with six others so don't have enough freezer space for food let alone a large cooling pad. I do sleep all night with two fans on me, and the noise doesn't bother me (and if anything helps me deal with my tinnitus) but it still doesn't really help.

Quote from: shoulders on May 07, 2022, 03:38:08 PMExhaustion is an absolute peach for getting to sleep with a cacophony of noise around you and stifling hot temperatures, so possibilities there include all day wild swimming, contracting long Covid, doing something so illegal the police chase you around.

The electricity is going to be expensive either way, right? May as well get something that definitely does the job (ideally something you can take with you if you ever move out).

I'm regularly exhausted due to insomnia and having to be hyper while teaching, but that rarely helps. I've no issue on the electricity front as my current place is bills inclusive, I just don't know what I can buy that would make any real difference.

It's all really annoying as last week I was cat sitting for a friend in her flat and with the bedroom window even open a small amount I was asleep within twenty minutes each night, whereas in my current place it takes at the very least an hour and often two before I pass out, even despite taking medication to help, and it's starting to effect my mental health. :(

shoulders

QuoteI'm regularly exhausted due to insomnia

Apologies, wasn't aware, sorry to read that.

If it's bills included then rag that to fuck, all over fans, fans in the bog, open kitchen cabinet, another fan.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Are you creating a throughdraft? I'm presuming there's only one window, so put a fan next to that,facing inwards, then open your bedroom door and put one there, facing outwards. That'll create a flow of cooler night air through the room, lowering the temperature.

Edit: explain the kitchen thing. Is the kitchen directly through your bedroom window (which sounds weird as fuck), or are you looking down upon it?

Glebe

You could give this lad a shout:

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: shoulders on May 07, 2022, 04:02:44 PMApologies, wasn't aware, sorry to read that.

If it's bills included then rag that to fuck, all over fans, fans in the bog, open kitchen cabinet, another fan.

It might have to come down to that, I've already a third fan for my work desk but will try adding that and another free standing one to see if four do the job.

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on May 07, 2022, 04:29:07 PMAre you creating a throughdraft? I'm presuming there's only one window, so put a fan next to that,facing inwards, then open your bedroom door and put one there, facing outwards. That'll create a flow of cooler night air through the room, lowering the temperature.

Edit: explain the kitchen thing. Is the kitchen directly through your bedroom window (which sounds weird as fuck), or are you looking down upon it?

It's the weird as fuck thing, it opens right out in to the kitchen (which apparently was only built a couple of years ago) so I get no fresh air at all. Every night about half an hour before bed I open my door and window, the front door and the back door and cool the room down that way, but it doesn't take too long before it gets annoyingly warm again. There's no way I could leave my window and bedroom door open at night though, people in the house work all kinds of hours and so noise wise I wouldn't be able to sleep.

The more I think about it the more I feel I'll probably just have to move. It's frustrating though as for the first time I actually like some of the people I live with, and otherwise it's a great little room, fairly cheap and I rarely hear others when the door and window are closed, but if there's no other solution it'll have to be that.

The Ombudsman

I have a portable air con unit. It can only do one room and is expensive to run. But, that said, for the week a year it's unbearable during the day and night it's a lifesaver. On those occasions I have it on maybe 5 hours a day max. Hour in the PM when the sun is right into the room then on for a while to cool the bedroom so I get get to sleep. I used to think it a proper bourgeois luxury but means I get sleep on very hot nights which I otherwise wouldn't and don't end up taking 2 days off work with a migraine.

I seem to really suffer with heat. Anything above 23 deg and I just cease to function. Handy during winter though.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: The Ombudsman on May 07, 2022, 04:46:14 PMI have a portable air con unit. It can only do one room and is expensive to run. But, that said, for the week a year it's unbearable during the day and night it's a lifesaver. On those occasions I have it on maybe 5 hours a day max. Hour in the PM when the sun is right into the room then on for a while to cool the bedroom so I get get to sleep. I used to think it a proper bourgeois luxury but means I get sleep on very hot nights which I otherwise wouldn't and don't end up taking 2 days off work with a migraine.

I seem to really suffer with heat. Anything above 23 deg and I just cease to function. Handy during winter though.

That sounds like the kind of thing I could do with, do you have a link to the one you bought by any chance, or one that's similar? And does it need to be placed by / in a window, or can it be anywhere in the room?

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I think they come with a flexible exhaust pipe that you feed through the window, then you block off the gaps in the window with towels to create a seal (at least that's what my parents do with theirs). Your kitchen is gonna be fucking BOILING.

pigamus

Quote from: Pink Gregory on May 07, 2022, 02:25:48 PMTom Petty considers...nah maybe not.

Tom Jones and the Cardigans consider

Zero Gravitas

Active air cooling? In the UK? Just get a big fan mate.

A big gym sized fan, a air movement is more than enough for comfort and the noise is actually quite soothing.

Oh and:

Ferris

If you have an external window and don't mind the noise, those mini air conditioners really do work unless your room is fucking massive. We had two going in the gaff last summer and they were absolute lifesavers.

Pimhole

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on May 07, 2022, 04:00:50 PMI had one of those just for my head but it didn't really help, and annoyingly I live in a shared house with six others so don't have enough freezer space for food let alone a large cooling pad.

I said freezer but I meant fridge, sorry. When it is folded up it fits neatly on a fridge shelf with space for food above it. Dunno if that makes a difference?

But yeah, it is sounding a bit like you should move. Leave that room for one of these Lizard Women you get in offices who are always complaining about being cold.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on May 07, 2022, 05:22:57 PMI think they come with a flexible exhaust pipe that you feed through the window, then you block off the gaps in the window with towels to create a seal (at least that's what my parents do with theirs). Your kitchen is gonna be fucking BOILING.

Ah, yeah, wouldn't be able to do the exhaust pipe thing, annoyingly.

Quote from: Ferris on May 07, 2022, 05:44:58 PMIf you have an external window and don't mind the noise, those mini air conditioners really do work unless your room is fucking massive. We had two going in the gaff last summer and they were absolute lifesavers.

I've no external window sadly. :(

Quote from: Zero Gravitas on May 07, 2022, 05:30:55 PMActive air cooling? In the UK? Just get a big fan mate.

A big gym sized fan, a air movement is more than enough for comfort and the noise is actually quite soothing.

Oh and:

I've got two big fans on me already, but still sweat in a horrible way, and it's not even summer yet.

Quote from: Pimhole on May 07, 2022, 05:49:12 PMI said freezer but I meant fridge, sorry. When it is folded up it fits neatly on a fridge shelf with space for food above it. Dunno if that makes a difference?

But yeah, it is sounding a bit like you should move. Leave that room for one of these Lizard Women you get in offices who are always complaining about being cold.

Ah, I do have a small amount of fridge space so will look in to that, thanks for that.

The Mollusk

Have you tried listening to hip hop? I've been told that stuff is pretty cool. You could also try the famous "Netflix and chill" everyone has been banging on about lately. Both at the same time could be a game changer.

The Ombudsman

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on May 07, 2022, 05:09:10 PMThat sounds like the kind of thing I could do with, do you have a link to the one you bought by any chance, or one that's similar? And does it need to be placed by / in a window, or can it be anywhere in the room?

I can't find the exact one but like this : https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8873600?clickPR=plp:1:14

Mine has a remote and a timer function which is very handy. You will need to exhaust out the hot air however. I have had some success in venting this into the landing, using a towel in the doorgap. I'd rather have one cool room and the rest baking than the alternative. These days I do vent it out the window as I have that opportunity.

You can probably get them second hand for much cheaper. If you do have a way to get the hot air outside they are the best way to go. The air out of mine is really chilly, and having it on for 20 mins is enough to take the edge off the uncomfortableness the heat gives. I tried the other non air con units, the humidifiers make everything damp and don't do anything in the muggy days when the humidity is already high.

May sound daft, but I've also had some success putting my pillow in the fridge. Another thing that's quite effective is putting your whole lower arms (elbow and below) in cold water. It does give some reasonable heat transfer from your body.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

You could also just take off all your clothes and swan about the bedroom naked. Nevermind if anyones in the kitchen, desperate times call for desperate measures.

Replies From View

Have you tried singing "cool down a room" to the tune of Tammy Wynette's Stand By Your Man?  I've heard it can help.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Pour a load of ice over yourself

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

What do you do when other housemates are using the kitchen and you're in the bedroom? I can think of five distinct possibilities:

1. Shut the curtains
2. Nonchalantly carry on with what you're doing and pretend they're not there
3. Give them a big thumbs up and cheeky grin to ease the awkwardness
4. Wank
5. All of  the above

JamesTC

Have you tried a different type of duvet/mattress cover? I have felt cooler and comfortable with brushed cotton sheets. A little more expensive, but definitely worth it for me. Like you, I go for the lowest tog of duvet available all year round.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on May 07, 2022, 04:39:29 PMnoise wise I wouldn't be able to sleep.

Quies wax earplugs, cheap and you can't hear a thing.