Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:44:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Graham Linehan Episode XVIII: Help Me Elon Muskenobi, You're My Only Hope

Started by Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse, May 03, 2022, 09:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mindy Simmons

Quote from: wrec on May 07, 2022, 11:33:29 PMVery likely this. Dunno if you saw it but just before he mentioned meeting Morris for lunch he was seen in London ranting about "them"* as Morris nodded along. Given everything we know about Morris and how he deals with things in his work, he'd aim for a balanced view but is likely to see Linehan's hysteria for what it is rather than an informed analysis of something real. Also he's not a fucking idiot, or a bigot, or a bully, or all of the above.

*forget the overheard quote but think this was the gist

Morris has dealt with a backlash or two, but when confronted by Natalie Curtis for example, he apologised rather than abandoning his entire life to pursue a hate campaign against suicide survivors.

The comment to Jo Unwin was aggressive / accusatory if I remember correctly so I doubt it was an attempt to coax an admission of sympathy.

I keep coming back to the fact that transphobia is unreasonable and wrong, and, certainly in its GC/terf variety, a fringe view that's disproportionately common in British media circles. Has there been anyone whose transphobia has been unexpected and disappointing? I can only think of Chappelle, and in his case it's a symptom of a broader decline.

Even with all the problematic shit in the HP books, I was honestly shocked at Rowling. The extent of her hatred is still baffling. Le Guin certainly picked up on that hinted at nastiness in Harry Potter that I and a lot of other HP fans felt was just her accurately showing the shitty way kids act and tend to see things in very black and white terms. We gave her way too much credit. Turned out she's just that immature herself, and a bully to boot.

"Peaking hundreds" as the kids would say, fucking where!?

damien

Yeah Jebadoo and Rowling and Glin are all having a truly lousy Sunday. Some proper ranting and flailing going around. I think the election results have rattled them. The great peaking of the British public just isn't happening.

Cuellar

Quote from: damien on May 08, 2022, 06:32:35 PMThe great peaking of the British public just isn't happening.

The Allison Bailey trial is The New Peakening.

dead-ced-dead

Watching them constantly push the goal posts further down the line will never not be funny.

jobotic

Katherine Parkinson just said at the Baftas

"Who could forget four glorious series of the IT Crowd? God knows I've tried"

Why does she hate women so much?

FalknerHinton

Quote from: jobotic on May 08, 2022, 07:54:25 PMKatherine Parkinson just said at the Baftas

HANDBEARDEN

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on May 08, 2022, 07:05:09 PMWatching them constantly push the goal posts further down the line will never not be funny.

Like one of those end of the world cults that have to make excuses about getting their sums wrong and it's soon, honest.

fancywookiee

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on May 08, 2022, 08:27:13 PMLike one of those end of the world cults that have to make excuses about getting their sums wrong and it's soon, honest.

The Great Disappointment (Gender)

greencalx

Sorry to be Mr Out-of-Touch again, but what is "peaking" in this context? All my googling just brings up piles of poo (literally).

I see Motherland won a BAFTA.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: greencalx on May 08, 2022, 08:38:01 PMSorry to be Mr Out-of-Touch again, but what is "peaking" in this context? All my googling just brings up piles of poo (literally).

It's used to mean changing someone's mind about trans issues by presenting them with anti-trans propaganda, i.e. the fantasy of all these narcissistic bigots.

retsuza

Quote from: greencalx on May 08, 2022, 08:38:01 PMSorry to be Mr Out-of-Touch again, but what is "peaking" in this context? All my googling just brings up piles of poo (literally).

I see Motherland won a BAFTA.

I was just trying to remember what the origin of this term is and basically they have this idea of "peak trans" which is the most egregious example in their minds of transgender people (could be genuine sex offenders who are trans or gender non-conforming or like, just a trans person who they think doesn't look feminine or masculine enough).

"peak trans" can also mean just the point where they get fed up of trans people existing and the straw that breaks the camels back is always GC hate propaganda.

Basically when they say peaked they mean radicalised. They want people to not just have the gender critical viewpoint but to be obsessed about it. They want everyone else to be as sad as they are and to be vindicated that they lose friend and family from their pathetic crusade as long as they can think in their heads there's other crabs joining this bucket.

dead-ced-dead

Motherland wins a BAFTA and Katherine Parkinson makes a dig at The IT Crowd:

YouCantWriteTearsJimmy

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on May 08, 2022, 09:10:38 PMKatherine Parkinson makes a dig at The IT Crowd:

Oh what was the dig? I like Motherland, didn't like that Graham Linehan co-wrote it ... Happy Helen gets the recognition she deserves instead of her ex.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: YouCantWriteTearsJimmy on May 08, 2022, 09:16:04 PMOh what was the dig? I like Motherland, didn't like that Graham Linehan co-wrote it ... Happy Helen gets the recognition she deserves instead of her ex.

It was mentioned up-thread:

Quote from: jobotic on May 08, 2022, 07:54:25 PMKatherine Parkinson just said at the Baftas

And, yeah, I'm really happy for Helen too.

Also, I think Graham only co-wrote season one. So he's not been involved for two seasons now.

grainger

Are we sure by "peaking" they don't mean "piquing", as in "piquing someone's interest"? And someone's just spelled it wrong at some point. It wouldn't be the first time (or the hundredth) they've en masse just got something wrong.

As an aside, according to Google, "pique" also means "feel irritated or resentful", which is appropriate for GCs.

Quote from: grainger on May 08, 2022, 09:30:41 PMAre we sure by "peaking" they don't mean "piquing", as in "piquing someone's interest"?

It probably had it's origins there.

phantom_power

Quote from: Better Midlands on May 08, 2022, 09:11:29 PM

Is it a logical fallacy to criticise the supporters of an argument rather than the argument itself? Or just fucking stupid?

Ex_GC

Quote from: grainger on May 08, 2022, 09:30:41 PMAre we sure by "peaking" they don't mean "piquing", as in "piquing someone's interest"? And someone's just spelled it wrong at some point. It wouldn't be the first time (or the hundredth) they've en masse just got something wrong.

As an aside, according to Google, "pique" also means "feel irritated or resentful", which is appropriate for GCs.

No, it definitely means 'reaching ones peak'

Dayraven

It's inspired by 'peak TV', I think (a term referring to the increase in number of TV shows produced during the streaming era, itself inspired by 'peak oil').

'Peak trans' is the idea, dear to Linehan's heart, that the acceptance of trans people is at a high point and the tide will turn any day now. 'Peaking' is a derivative of that, meaning making people reach that point.

...look, I'm no more pleased that I know this stuff than you are.

bgmnts

Quote from: Better Midlands on May 08, 2022, 09:11:29 PM

How is a child threatening women? Unless it was some Children of the Corn type stuff, it'd be quite the feat.

greencalx

Quote from: Dayraven on May 08, 2022, 09:59:45 PMIt's inspired by 'peak TV', I think (a term referring to the increase in number of TV shows produced during the streaming era, itself inspired by 'peak oil').

'Peak trans' is the idea, dear to Linehan's heart, that the acceptance of trans people is at a high point and the tide will turn any day now. 'Peaking' is a derivative of that, meaning making people reach that point.

...look, I'm no more pleased that I know this stuff than you are.

Thanks, but good grief that's convoluted. When even the urban dictionary doesn't know what you're talking about, you might have a nomenclature problem.

wrec

Telling someone to fuck off for a tweet that nobody reacted to dissing JK two years ago. He obviously found it by searching for Rowling transphobe.

Alberon

He stands up for her all the time but, when it comes to Linehan, Rowling remains silent.

Mindy Simmons

How on earth is a trans kid threatening women? Stop making shit up, Graham.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: Mindy Simmons on May 08, 2022, 10:45:30 PMHow on earth is a trans kid threatening women? Stop making shit up, Graham.
All trans people are linked in a hive mind, led by the Trans Queen.