Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:50:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Starmer VIII: Labour will set you free

Started by pancreas, March 16, 2022, 08:54:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pink Gregory

God, remember Philip Hammond?  I didn't until he was mentioned.

shoulders

https://twitter.com/alexnunns/status/1523329984932188162?t=slvOjJREDBTdBj6U5yGs0w&s=19

Shit, the guy is gone. There were plenty of hints going back before Corbyn.

Haters of Owen Jones must partly reflect on his eternally evergreen face. Christ, he looks about 9.

Kankurette

Quote from: kittens on May 08, 2022, 10:30:50 AMslippery starmer caught in the act. slippery starmer at it again with the beers and the lads. slippery starmer in his little office munching on pizza pie with his trusted friends. little does slippery starmer know, there's a man out the window. look, slippery starmer, he's got a camera! watch out slippery starmer, he's got you on film! slippery starmer too drunk too care, stuffing his slippery face with slippery slices of the most slippery pie dominos has to offer. slippery starmer munching a hot slippery giuseppe and glugging a slippery staropramen. slipping and sliding around his branch office on all fours like a greased up pig, his friends squirting fairy liquid on him in a demented bukkake bachannal, sucking up slices from the wet tarpaulin and slurping slops of seven-up, sluicing, slopping, sucking, smacking his slippery lips at the thought of another slice. he's really slipped up this time
I gotta say, this is better than the Johnson/Thatcher spanking fetish art I saw earlier today.

Memorex MP3

was Partygate actually as big of a deal to voters as Labour and the media pushed it as being? Like, obviously it was all really bad and was gonna harm the tories but I fail to see how Labour pursuing it above all else made any sense when the cost of living crisis is far more prominently on people's minds and the tories are so actively shitting the bed over it in an ongoing capacity that people are feeling right now.

The way Labour focused so heavily on partygate over that just gave me the impression of the kind of people who were eager to report their neighbours for any minor breakages of the rules during the lockdowns, regardless of whether you agreed with them it was hard to find much to like about them and even harder to find much reason to vote for them over some alternative.

Think he'll probably get past this but it exposes just how easy he is to tear down. He positions himself as some kind of figure of integrity but his track record completely fails to back it up so it's very easy to get him caught up in some kind of performance to show off how much valour he has.

monkfromhavana

When will Keir Starmer get to grips with the culture of rule-breaking in the Labour party? It's went up 300% during his time as leader. I'm not saying that Starmer is dishonest, but the culture he has allowed and nurtured within the party is. His claims that is has been "exaggerated" are clearly incorrect.

He doesn't exactly look like a man who's fearing for his political future. Not that I'm doubting honest Keith of course.

Those fucking flags.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Memorex MP3 on May 09, 2022, 07:33:22 PMwas Partygate actually as big of a deal to voters as Labour and the media pushed it as being?

The anger is understandable, but the ruling class is as the ruling class does.

They've just been a bit more brazen than usual about their disregard for the rule of law; in real terms it's a technicality at best.  It's not enough to make them fall, but it's being treated like it is because THE RULES THE RULES!!

elliszeroed

I is no political expert. But focusing on "partygate" and barely mentioning other issues was a poor move. He shoulda bundled it, with cost of living, covid (yes, it's still happening and affecting people!!), and Brexit fallout. He focused on one issue and it ended up backfiring. I don't know, I really don't.

Psybro

Quote from: elliszeroed on May 09, 2022, 08:32:39 PMI is no political expert. But focusing on "partygate" and barely mentioning other issues was a poor move. He shoulda bundled it, with cost of living, covid (yes, it's still happening and affecting people!!), and Brexit fallout. He focused on one issue and it ended up backfiring. I don't know, I really don't.

Not allowed to mention the latter two because it harshes people's mellow.

idunnosomename

Quote from: shoulders on May 09, 2022, 07:22:11 PMhttps://twitter.com/alexnunns/status/1523329984932188162?t=slvOjJREDBTdBj6U5yGs0w&s=19

Haters of Owen Jones must partly reflect on his eternally evergreen face. Christ, he looks about 9.
debating paul mason is elder abuse. the guy is clearly completely senile

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on May 09, 2022, 04:34:17 PMI wonder what Moya would suggest as the alternative though. Whilst some fines were based on outdated understanding of covid, such as fining people for eating outside, I think a lot of the covid fines were given out for good reasons such as businesses opening in defiance of the lockdowns. The worst responses to the coronavirus thread gives a good indication of this.

As for the "no one likes a snitch" subheading, does she think that covid rule breaking should just have been ignored? That there should have been no consequences for people like Johnson who broke the rules? I would imagine we would have an even higher body count if the rules had not been enforced. Telling people not to "snitch" - who does that benefit apart from the people who are putting others at risk?

I think it's one thing to say the covid rules were flawed and should have been changed, but I think her take is just nonsense and comes across as the sort of take you would find in the Spectator or another journal that sort to minimise covid. Would it have been worth thousands of more deaths a day for the cause of not "snitching" which seems to be mainly about letting people get away with being shitty to other people.

I would have liked to see the fines related to income though. And proper financial support for businesses and the general public. Maybe the article should have called for that instead.

I think the key point is that for all his law and order schtick, he has very little interest in ensuring that justice is served, he's more interested in ensuring the rule of law - however unfitting and unjust is upheld rather than reformed. We see it here, and we saw it when he was trying to make sure Gary McKinnon spent the rest of his life in an American military prison despite warnings he'd probably kill himself we also saw it when he ensured young people were sent to prison for nicking rice during the riots.

But worse still, I think it highlights another theme of him being quite authoritarian, yet quite happy to weasel out process that would see him in trouble - he's making a bluff here to skirt round it, and he also may have evaded the police when he hit the Deliveroo driver because he'd been drinking after playing football. And on a wider scale it's indicative of a cowardly leader who would order other people to do things they would not be prepared to do themselves, of course there are plenty of politicians like that, but the idea of him in charge of the military or the police fills me with dread.

I also wouldn't really project covid safety onto him either, the argument is all around whether he's broken the letter of the law rather than the spirit, and he's frequently been on the wrong side of safety guidance (schools anyone?) over the last couple of years, mostly taking positions for, erm, political gain.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: shoulders on May 09, 2022, 07:22:11 PMhttps://twitter.com/alexnunns/status/1523329984932188162?t=slvOjJREDBTdBj6U5yGs0w&s=19

I was just watching the show. Mason is... incredible. Literally.

The discussion clipped from the full show has since been uploaded: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvVAtDWdj2c

Mr_Rich

The man was head of the CPS and is a lawyer by trade. If there's one thing you would imagine he had a good idea about it's whether he's broke the law and whether the police will pursue it. As such it's pretty clear he knows the outcome won't be a FPN. Which just makes the whole thing look like a piece of misjudged theatre. 

What does he gain from it? He would've got asked if he'd go if he was found guilty and could've just said 'yes' and got the same result without looking desperate for attention. I can't see how anyone who doesn't already sniff his farts is going to be impressed.

Blumf

Got a nice letter from bossy cop:

QuoteDear Blumf,

Ever since the first covid lockdown, I have always followed the rules.

In that time, the British people have made heart-wrenching sacrifices.

People were left desperately lonely.

They were separated from family and friends tragically, many were unable to see dying loved ones.

This was a collective sacrifice.

People were entitled to expect that politicians would follow the same rules as everyone else.

When my mother-in-law passed away suddenly just before the lockdown, my wife and I were unable to provide her father with the support we wanted to afterwards, because we followed the rules

Barely a day has passed where we haven't agonised over that decision, but we did it, because we followed the rules

We all found those rules frustrating at times -

And I'm no exception to that.

I had to isolate six times during covid, pulling me away from my work and the things that I love.

But I did it, because we followed the rules

The idea that I would then casually break those rules is wrong.

And frankly I don't believe those accusing me believe it themselves.

They are just trying to feed cynicism, to get the public to believe all politicians are the same.

I am here to say they're not.

I believe in honour, integrity and the principle that those who make the laws must follow them.

And I believe that politicians who undermine that principle, undermine trust in politics, undermine our democracy, and undermine Britain.

I am absolutely clear that no laws were broken.

They were followed at all times.

I simply had something to eat while working late in the evening.

As any politician would do days before an election.

But if the police decide to issue me with a fixed penalty notice,

I would, of course, do the right thing and step down.

This matters.

It matters because the British public deserve politicians who think the rules apply to them.

They deserve politicians who hold themselves to the highest standards.

And they deserve politicians who put the country first, rather than themselves.

They will always - always - get that from me.

Keir Starmer
Leader of the Labour Party

FOLLOW THE RULESSSSSSS!!!!

Cold Meat Platter

You know who else followed the rules? The SS.

pcsjwgm

Quote from: greencalx on May 09, 2022, 05:20:30 PMHere's a Guardian hot take

Reminds me of Chapo's Matt Christman saying something like liberals love Obama because he's like an anti-hero from one of their favourite Prestige TV shows.

So expel critics of NATO but keep those who support arming Saudi Arabia. Would be interesting to see if Mason will tie himself in knots writing a quasi-Marxist Medium post defending what is blatantly a right-wing position.

And I'm afraid the "Putin talking point" itself is just correct, even if Russian propagandists are using it disingenuously.

Zero Gravitas

So tiresome, the only thing that could spice this up is if Duram police pull another Cummings and say yes he did break the restrictions but deem it not serious enough or insufficient mens rears were on display to issue a fine.

That'd be almost too delicious.

Zero Gravitas

Ooh actually from the constabulary's statement on Cummings:

QuoteIn line with Durham Constabulary's general approach throughout the pandemic, there is no intention to take retrospective action in respect of the Barnard Castle incident since this would amount to treating Mr Cummings differently from other members of the public. Durham Constabulary has not taken retrospective action against any other person.

Very cute, still fingers crossed for the funniest scenario.

greencalx

I think @Mr_Rich is on the money. Of course he knows he won't be fined, and even if he were, it doesn't buy any leverage with the torrid. (Phone autocorrected tories to torrid, it knows). Utterly pointless stunt and the opposite of prime ministerial.

pigamus

I love the idea that Kieth is putting pressure on Durham police, I mean what power does he have to do that exactly

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: pigamus on May 10, 2022, 09:15:42 AMI love the idea that Kieth is putting pressure on Durham police, I mean what power does he have to do that exactly

He did back Joy Allen who is the crime commissioner there. Dunno whether that means he can get her to do him a favour or not really.

idunnosomename

Mr Rules, that's my name, that name again, is Mr Rules

shoulders

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on May 10, 2022, 10:00:42 AMNice little thread from Andrew Fisher abioout the 2017 manifesto leak.

https://twitter.com/FisherAndrew79/status/1523932675647709185

Interesting. It's possible Watson didn't leak it directly from his copy of the Manifesto but still was involved in it leaking elsewhere.

Chollis

we built this city
we built this city on following rules

Paul Calf

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 10, 2022, 09:19:39 AMHe did back Joy Allen who is the crime commissioner there. Dunno whether that means he can get her to do him a favour or not really.

Nevertheless, they're going to be fucking livid that some politician has dragged them into a political squabble. They're supposed to be above politics even though it's obvious lying pig bullshit.

jobotic

He's right fucked it ain't he?

Johnson back on top. A Queen's speech dedicated to nothing but the further creation of a far right dictatorship and he's got nothing to say.

Still, he'll be rewarded in time.

Paul Calf

Yeah, the bloke who oils the rack he's pulled apart on will have a sharp and incisive line in centrist chat.

greencalx

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on May 10, 2022, 10:00:42 AMNice little thread from Andrew Fisher abioout the 2017 manifesto leak.

https://twitter.com/FisherAndrew79/status/1523932675647709185

Actually scrap that. Don't want to get Neil into trouble.