Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:27:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Graham Linehan Episode XVIII: Help Me Elon Muskenobi, You're My Only Hope

Started by Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse, May 03, 2022, 09:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Rock

Well I came up with Maya Floorsharter* and I look forward to her reclaiming it.

*it's possible someone else also came up with it  independently, it's right there.

Ayasakura

According to twitter and people following the case, the judge has had to halt proceedings in Allison Bailey's trial more than once today - because GC people in the chat keep trying to interfere with the proceedings. Or just straight up being offensive.

If this was happening in a public gallery in person you'd probably get done for contempt, or at least threatened with it? Awful.

retsuza

Quote from: Dr Rock on May 12, 2022, 01:21:05 PMWell I came up with Maya Floorsharter* and I look forward to her reclaiming it.

*it's possible someone else also came up with it  independently, it's right there.

It's pretty good. A favourite of mine that I can't remember is from here or Twitter is Julia Hartley-Brewer being referred to as Fartley-Pooer.

JamesTC

Quote from: Ayasakura on May 12, 2022, 01:28:19 PMAccording to twitter and people following the case, the judge has had to halt proceedings in Allison Bailey's trial more than once today - because GC people in the chat keep trying to interfere with the proceedings. Or just straight up being offensive.

If this was happening in a public gallery in person you'd probably get done for contempt, or at least threatened with it? Awful.

I was wondering if they can still bring contempt of court charges for them. I believe they had to register to have access.

The Bumlord

Quote from: JamesTC on May 12, 2022, 01:38:34 PMI was wondering if they can still bring contempt of court charges for them. I believe they had to register to have access.

Why is there a chat function linked to a court case?

Zetetic

Quote from: Ex_GC on May 12, 2022, 12:52:47 PMSo they're reclaiming a term they came up with in the first place.
1) "Trans-exclusionary radical feminist (TERF)" wasn't coined or popularised by a trans-exclusionary radical feminist, certainly not one applying it to themselves.
2) Most transphobes self-labelled or labelled by others as "TERFs" aren't radical feminists by any reasonable stretch of the imagination.

canadagoose

Quote from: Zetetic on May 12, 2022, 01:58:51 PM1) "Trans-exclusionary radical feminist (TERF)" wasn't coined or popularised by a trans-exclusionary radical feminist, certainly not one applying it to themselves.
2) Most transphobes self-labelled or labelled by others as "TERFs" aren't radical feminists by any reasonable stretch of the imagination.
A lot of them do describe themselves as "radfems" though, even though their version is poisonous and hateful. It's a bit like the "classical liberal" situation, where most people online who describe themselves with that label are more far-right than "classical liberal".

Zetetic

And that's something that the TERF-for-transphobe labelling has probably encouraged, unfortunately.

canadagoose

Quote from: Zetetic on May 12, 2022, 02:07:36 PMAnd that's something that the TERF-for-transphobe labelling has probably encouraged, unfortunately.
I know it seems that way, but not-particularly-feminist transphobes have been defining themselves as radfems for a good while now. I can remember them as far back as 2004. See also "RadFem 2012" or whatever it was called.

JamesTC

Quote from: The Bumlord on May 12, 2022, 01:42:58 PMWhy is there a chat function linked to a court case?

I think it was mentioned the other day that they were using it for evidence. I suppose they didn't expect the most divorced man on the planet and his cavalcade of winter fuel allowancers to register and troll.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Yeah I'd been wondering the same thing, regardless of what the case is I'm not surprised any judge is getting exasperated by people in a live chat arsing about. Even worse if it's a bunch of Grahams shrieking wall to wall shite. Here's hoping the banana brigade and whoever gave them access end up with some consequences for it.

Barry Admin

Quote from: retsuza on May 11, 2022, 11:02:53 PMBit off topic but it's a trans positive post.

I was reminded one of my favourite 2010s youtuber who interviewed people and was very funny.

She was gone for a long time and that was normal for that type of youtuber who just disappears at some point for whatever reason. You can't keep doing that exact same thing on YouTube for more than a decade.

She ended up coming back last year with the explainer of why she'd been gone

https://youtu.be/cGgVoqr78gk

Surprise gender transition story. And she is still very funny, she has a very personal and interesting story.

Ended up watching the whole thing last night. Very enlightening, and really heartwarming and funny stuff.

Ayasakura

They are using open chat for evidence but it beggars belief that they opened it up to public use. Virtual hearings have been a thing for a while now, out of necessity, but I have no idea how someone thought this would be a good idea. Surely just let people follow along but disable the chat function except for email addresses linked to the actual professionals involved!

BritishHobo

Assuming they are still using the same virtual hearing system as they did when I worked at the courts at the start of COVID, the chat is also meant to be for drawing attention to any technical issues without disrupting the hearing or interrupting the Judge. Some poor court clerk trying to make sure everybody's cameras and microphones are working correctly (which they're usually not) will be having to scroll through all that stupid terminally online drama bullshit.

frajer

The terfs love to think everyone has heard of their movement (Tunnocks! Dinosaurs! No Wheesht!) but the reality is most people haven't a clue they even exist.

Imagine that court clerk being hit by the full force of current day Linehan and his sad grief crew. You'd have to think you'd been hacked by bots for the amount of sense they make. Sian just citing bible verse and "tehe"ing while Linehan foams and gnashes over a list of perceived slights dating back 5 years and demands to know why m'lud doesn't care about healthy breast tissue.

JamesTC

Yeah, even people who watch the news and are very online haven't heard of them.

I took my Dad to see Alan Partridge last night for his birthday and we were chatting about various comedies. Black Books came up and I pointed out that Linehan was only involved in the first series and my Dad replied that he did do The IT Crowd on his own. I mentioned why he has never been heard from since and my Dad was aghast. He hadn't heard of any of the Twitter ban, getting divorced and being a professional transphobe stuff.

DreadedScotsman

Quote from: Kankurette on May 12, 2022, 12:45:52 PMHow is it even a slur? It's just saying that they're radical feminists who exclude trans women, which is completely accurate.

They also claim cis is a slur and I'd be willing to be that when it became a commonly used term they'd have called straight and heterosexual slurs too

Cold Meat Platter

I suppose if you're a racist when someone calls you that it might seem like a slur too, if only because it could produce negative emotions.

Ex_GC

He says he wants a reasonable discussion but then tells people on his side to 'go fuck yourself'. He says he wants a reasonable discussion but then he and his glincels swarm the live chat of a court case (one that is supposedly landmark)

Quote from: JamesTC on May 12, 2022, 02:51:09 PMYeah, even people who watch the news and are very online haven't heard of them.

My parents are nearly 80 but very up on the news, paper copy of the Independent, CH4 news every night etc and they aŕe very online too.

Last year my dad asked me if I had heard of doggy-coin when Elon blew it up and this week we spoke about Rooney and Vardy and the difference between Instagram posts and IG stories etc.

They have never mentioned trans issues once, as far as I know they are unaware and I'm 99.9% sure they wouldn't have a problem with it if asked.

dead-ced-dead

I envy you lot, my old ma bangs on about the evil transes most days on Facebook. And she is very much a Twitter obsessed person.

She actually posted something today and it makes me happy I found this forum full of sad, balding, middle-aged failed writers.

Really, you guys can't know how much I appreciate this place.

Ex_GC

I'm sorry to hear that @dead-ced-dead , as someone who has been there I know how much if can take over ones life. I hope she finds a way out

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: Ayasakura on May 12, 2022, 01:28:19 PMAccording to twitter and people following the case, the judge has had to halt proceedings in Allison Bailey's trial more than once today - because GC people in the chat keep trying to interfere with the proceedings. Or just straight up being offensive.
I think that's very funny. I hope they all signed up with their fucking work emails too.

FalknerHinton

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on May 12, 2022, 03:20:07 PMI envy you lot, my old ma bangs on about the evil transes most days on Facebook. And she is very much a Twitter obsessed person.

She actually posted something today and it makes me happy I found this forum full of sad, balding, middle-aged failed writers.

Really, you guys can't know how much I appreciate this place.

This board works wonders. For example, and I grant you this is only tangentially related, seeing this gif suddenly tripped something in my stupid brain and I realised a sample in a song that had been bugging me for days was a pitched-down Lisa Simpson.

So thanks board. And for all the other neat stuff too, obviously.

Ayasakura

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on May 12, 2022, 03:33:01 PMI think that's very funny. I hope they all signed up with their fucking work emails too.

Almost certainly, and then THEY can start a tribunal about THEIR dismissal, and it'll just be terf tribunals forever! Hurrah!

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: Ex_GC on May 12, 2022, 03:28:04 PMI'm sorry to hear that @dead-ced-dead , as someone who has been there I know how much if can take over ones life. I hope she finds a way out

Thank you. I don't think she will, but hope springs eternal.

The Late Satoru Iwata

Quote from: Ayasakura on May 12, 2022, 03:44:04 PMAlmost certainly, and then THEY can start a tribunal about THEIR dismissal, and it'll just be terf tribunals forever! Hurrah!
The Tragic Roundabout