Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:46:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Graham Linehan Episode XVIII: Help Me Elon Muskenobi, You're My Only Hope

Started by Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse, May 03, 2022, 09:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

somersetchris

Quote from: Kankurette on May 15, 2022, 07:49:58 PMI thought those were GC colours on that ribbon? Also, it's Emmeline.

Confusing Emmeline Pankhurst with Emily Davison? What's the betting they think they're the same person?

Kankurette

Good for you, Allie.

ETA; Davison does have a statue, but not in Manchester. It is Emmeline Pankhurst.

selectivememory

somersetchris

Quote from: Kankurette on May 15, 2022, 09:04:01 PMGood for you, Allie.

ETA; Davison does have a statue, but not in Manchester. It is Emmeline Pankhurst.

Yes that's what I meant, the person referring to it as 'Emily' may not realise that Emmeline Pankhurst and Emily Davison are different people (not that you'd got it wrong).

Cold Meat Platter

Was watching this interesting interview with Louis Theroux and the topic got onto cults and Qanon:
(to timestamp)

Famous Mortimer

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Somewhat Glinner-adjacent as it mentions his favourite source, KiwiFarms. Behind the Bastards has done a two(?) parter on how the harassment and trolling of Chris-Chan set the stage for that kind of online behaviour.

Part One: A Terrible Story About The Internet

Part Two: A Terrible Story About The Internet

EDIT: Mention of suicide at the start of part 1

wrec

Quote from: Barry Admin on May 15, 2022, 06:57:49 PMEdit: just saw this - so a ribbon is a noose now, and is as inherently threatening as a tall man? Did Marion Millar sell her house for nothing?

The phrases "trans noose" and "ribbon noose" being used as if there are such things. Clearly a death threat!

Sonny_Jim

It's amusing to see the TERFs taking the piss out of the 'pound shop ninjas' when they've literally been running around in inflatable dinosaur costumes for the past 6 months.

Kankurette

Quote from: somersetchris on May 15, 2022, 10:16:05 PMYes that's what I meant, the person referring to it as 'Emily' may not realise that Emmeline Pankhurst and Emily Davison are different people (not that you'd got it wrong).
It's OK, I guessed what you meant!

Charlie Veitch video shows a bit more of what was going on at the statue, looks like the police were making sure the ninjas didnt get crowded, two were in wheelchairs (just out of shot behind the statue)

It all looks pretty good natured.

C_Larence

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on May 15, 2022, 11:42:04 PMSomewhat Glinner-adjacent as it mentions his favourite source, KiwiFarms. Behind the Bastards has done a two(?) parter on how the harassment and trolling of Chris-Chan set the stage for that kind of online behaviour.

Part One: A Terrible Story About The Internet

Part Two: A Terrible Story About The Internet

EDIT: Mention of suicide at the start of part 1

Seems to be blocked in the UK unfortunately

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: C_Larence on May 16, 2022, 12:49:43 AMSeems to be blocked in the UK unfortunately
Strange. I'm listening in Ireland. You can find the episodes on Google Podcasts and Spotify too.

C_Larence

Ah ok, thanks! I think someone posted recently about the parallels between BC and CWC, although there are of course many differences (For instance, Graham never wrote anything as good as "So Need A Cute Girl"). Will listen now.

Quote from: C_Larence on May 16, 2022, 12:57:05 AMAh ok, thanks! I think someone posted recently about the parallels between BC and CWC, although there are of course many differences (For instance, Graham never wrote anything as good as "So Need A Cute Girl"). Will listen now.

The Gamer From Mars did a four part video on Chris Chan recently which is pretty definitive if you want even more

Barry Admin

Quote from: mtpromises on May 15, 2022, 08:27:49 PMI think protesting in a balklva and hoodie is smart, unless you want your face out there as a leader.  Why give them any info?  These TERFS are total assholes, who will harass your family and employers.  Plus, even in self defense, hitting an old lady looks bad.  Best to keep it anonymous.

Sorry, I don't agree. In fact I think it was really bloody stupid and played right into the transphobes hands again.

If you want to conceal your identity then there are less threatening ways of doing it than dressing up like a fucking paramilitary. This is particularly true when the media is not on your side, and your opponents are aging women pissing about with Tunnocks Teacakes, who have now spent literally years constructing this image of "violent TRA's."

Really, I actually can't believe people did it, and agree with @Elfking that it looks so bad you'd almost think it was staged by anti-trans activists. 

The Late Satoru Iwata

Quote from: wrec on May 15, 2022, 08:42:51 PMBeautiful / terrible, thanks!

The Linehan chat-up video is the perfect combination of Alan Partridge trying to get an invite to the Duchess of Stranraer's house ('if we "discuss it nearer the time", it's not going to happen is it?') and Alan Partridge trying to arrange a time to get into the showers with two female badminton players.

C_Larence

Quote from: Better Midlands on May 16, 2022, 01:04:58 AMThe Gamer From Mars did a four part video on Chris Chan recently which is pretty definitive if you want even more

Cheers, will get on that after the podcast. I found the Geno doc ended up getting a little stale after 30 episodes, so 4 videos sounds more bearable. I suppose enough time has passed that I might be able to get back into Geno if I tried again. Rabbit hole here I come!

Ex_GC

Quote from: mtpromises on May 15, 2022, 08:27:49 PMToo bad that guy was there.  It'd been great to see all those TERFS on their mobility scooters give chase to the mic hero.

I think they wanted to speak by the statue, but trans right activist occupied it first.  There were about 8, 6 in black.  There are a few tweets about the police not moving them.

I think protesting in a balklva and hoodie is smart, unless you want your face out there as a leader.  Why give them any info?  These TERFS are total assholes, who will harass your family and employers.  Plus, even in self defense, hitting an old lady looks bad.  Best to keep it anonymous.

The optics aren't great at all, imagine how it would look to a neutral passer by who knows nothing about all of this?

sambwel

I strongly recommend this video to anyone taking a detour into the Chris-Chan phenomenon. It's a thought provoking look at what the deal actually is with 'cringe', focusing on Chris-Chan as an example.

Barry Admin

Quote from: Ex_GC on May 16, 2022, 01:42:57 AMThe optics aren't great at all, imagine how it would look to a neutral passer by who knows nothing about all of this?

And of course, Rowling has jumped on it:

Sonny_Jim

Put me down for 'not a bad idea, but shit execution jesus christ did no one think this through':

phantom_power

Especially nowadays when you could conceal you identity wearing a Covid mask and no-one would bat an eyelid or call it violent or suspicious

Also, even if they were violent thugs it doesn't make the side they are on wrong. It just makes them twats. There is too much playing the man and not the ball in political debate these days

YouCantWriteTearsJimmy

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on May 15, 2022, 06:27:12 PMDo you think? I deffo get an older middle class impression.

Spoiler alert
BIG no to living to 90 though
[close]

The "leaders", yes, but the followers, no. I mean, I can't do a demographic study, but if you take Pew research and consider educational degrees as indicative for income, middle class and upper class are more accepting (US figures ofc). The few studies I've found regarding parental acceptance of their transkids seem to corroborate that.

Ex_GC

Quote from: Barry Admin on May 16, 2022, 02:41:08 AMAnd of course, Rowling has jumped on it:

One minute she says it was "intimidating", the next it's "unintentionally hilarious", which is it?

Sonny_Jim

Mr_Rich

Quote from: Barry Admin on May 16, 2022, 01:10:40 AMSorry, I don't agree. In fact I think it was really bloody stupid and played right into the transphobes hands again.

If you want to conceal your identity then there are less threatening ways of doing it than dressing up like a fucking paramilitary. This is particularly true when the media is not on your side, and your opponents are aging women pissing about with Tunnocks Teacakes, who have now spent literally years constructing this image of "violent TRA's."

Really, I actually can't believe people did it, and agree with @Elfking that it looks so bad you'd almost think it was staged by anti-trans activists. 

Completely agree with you in this, it seemed needlessly sinister and threatening, which is the precise narrative that's being built against TRA.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Barry Admin on May 16, 2022, 01:10:40 AMSorry, I don't agree. In fact I think it was really bloody stupid and played right into the transphobes hands again.

Yea the terfs have (certainly not deliberately) have managed to create a bit of an image of them being twee, ineffectual berks with all their dinosauring and tunnok bothering. If I hadn't hadn't heard of this issue, I definitely would have assumed the ninja's were up to no good first