Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:56:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Starmer VIII: Labour will set you free

Started by pancreas, March 16, 2022, 08:54:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

idunnosomename

Lmao she got a CBE for her part in defeating the menace of jumbly crumbly

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: phantom_power on May 13, 2022, 09:33:26 AMThe only people who focus on "woke" stuff are right wingers. What have Labour said or done in the last couple of years that is in any way "woke"?

To be fair Tony never went to woke Eton like all the Tories.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 13, 2022, 12:32:05 PMTo be fair Tony never went to woke Eton like all the Tories.

Eton's hunt is temporarily suspended because they can't find anyone to look after their hounds, and they've had to send them away to kennels (£50,000 a term, top hats optional). This is naturally the end of the world. If the Tab thinks you're posh cunts, you've got problems.

Tony Blair is jealous because he went to Fettes which doesn't have a hunting society, much as I'd like to watch Fettes' sixth form ride through Muirhouse pursued by a mob on dirt-bikes firing air-guns.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Mr_Rich on May 13, 2022, 11:22:45 AMI think you're wildly optimistic about the Lib Dems here. They'd chauffeur the limo for Johnson. It'll always fall back to the selfishness of greed for them over social libertarianism 

Absolutely.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: SpiderChrist on May 13, 2022, 06:36:11 AMOh FFS

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/may/13/tony-blair-tells-keir-starmer-to-drop-woke-politics-and-focus-on-economy-labour

QuoteA clearer frontbench line has since been agreed, resulting in the shadow health secretary, Wes Streeting, telling an interviewer: "Men have penises, women have vaginas, here ends my biology lesson."

The transphobic Graun, there, ignoring Emily Thornberry.

Sebastian Cobb

The front bench are also united on the idea that Khan's weed stuff is awful, putting them to the right of Tories including William Hague.

https://twitter.com/largacty1/status/1525217818760957954

url to nested indie article: https://inews.co.uk/opinion/labour-mps-are-furious-with-sadiq-khan-but-his-drugs-policy-could-work-1629862

Blumf

It's weird how strongly the anti-drug sentiment is with the Labour right. One of the few consistent stances they hold.

Wide open goal for the Tories, legalise cannabis, tax it. (apparently £10 billion in tax for tobacco, £13b for booze. Could see weed being similar)

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Blumf on May 14, 2022, 12:54:11 AMIt's weird how strongly the anti-drug sentiment is with the Labour right. One of the few consistent stances they hold.

They do look like the kind of spods who probably got sold an oxo cube in university.

Zero Gravitas

From that "police steal the park" thread a few weeks ago I looked around some of the various local constabularies twitter feeds, almost all of them were obsessed with the 'country lines' stories and associated mugshots as their main thrust of communication,

I expect most of the voters that Labour are metamorphizing to get the vote of are absolutely stewing in that kind of news, hence "Bucket of cold sick in the suburbs".

As a side note when I moved to leafy hell a few years ago I kept some of my packaging mess in one of the front rooms with the blinds drawn for a few weeks, only to get a visit from a neighbour suggesting I "Open them up as everyone is saying you're growing drugs" so the paranoia around it is definitely widerife.

Sebastian Cobb

lol at the neighbours.

Are the provincial forces making false-equivalences between the (real, bad and dangerous) county lines stuff and the cases where they burst open someone's front door for less than a half-ounce of weed and then gleefully post it up on social media only to get called a bunch of heavy-handed wankers?

Zero Gravitas

Most of the concrete stories were of one or two people getting nicked with sad looking mugshots.
Mixed in with guides on how to tell if your child is being groomed by a gang to become a runner or to be aware of the warning signs of locals getting cuckooed.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Blumf on May 14, 2022, 12:54:11 AMIt's weird how strongly the anti-drug sentiment is with the Labour right. One of the few consistent stances they hold.

Wide open goal for the Tories, legalise cannabis, tax it. (apparently £10 billion in tax for tobacco, £13b for booze. Could see weed being similar)
Whereas Blair was "liberalise gambling! who cares about addiction! get the tax money!"

idunnosomename

COUNTY LINES WOULDNT BE A THING IF YOU LEGALISED IT

.... but county lines

phantom_power

I read somewhere that the UK is the world's biggest exporter of legal cannabis. Is that true?

Sebastian Cobb

One of my pals is on medicinal weed (after years of being an illicit stoner) and he reckons it's not great.

Ferris

Quote from: SpiderChrist on May 15, 2022, 02:25:01 PMCertainly used to be the case:

https://inews.co.uk/news/health/uk-worlds-biggest-producer-exporter-legal-cannabis-132568

Canada legalized it in 2018 so suspect we've got the UK beat at this point.

If you drive through southern Ontario, you see the greenhouses everywhere. There are some huge grow-ops about 30 minutes drive from me that got a shitload of federal and provincial funding in the last few years.

greencalx

Here's the last bit of the Guardian report on the Wakefield CLP executive walking out due to the NEC parachuting candidates in

Quote from: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/may/15/wakefield-labour-party-walks-out-of-final-vote-on-bylection-candidateA senior Labour official hit back at the claims, saying: "A small clique of Corbynites had held the local party to ransom. Lots of members there today aren't just confident and looking forward to the campaign, but also the fresh start it provides.

"We're seeing this across the country in the party: under Corbyn, many of our longstanding campaigners were bullied out or just had enough. They are coming back and new people are getting involved."

Now I can't speak for all CLPs, but the number attending meetings is way less than it was during the Corbyn era. Now it might be because they're online now – but generally, online is supposed to make it easier for people to attend.

Ferris

^if you believe that, I've got a lovely bridge you might like to buy.

pancreas

Quote from: greencalx on May 15, 2022, 08:02:53 PMHere's the last bit of the Guardian report on the Wakefield CLP executive walking out due to the NEC parachuting candidates in

Now I can't speak for all CLPs, but the number attending meetings is way less than it was during the Corbyn era. Now it might be because they're online now – but generally, online is supposed to make it easier for people to attend.

What are you still doing going to CLP meetings? The Wakefield situation just shows what an utterly pointless waste of your time it is.

greencalx

I still get emails from the CLP despite my resignation, including minutes of the meetings + attendee list. Please don't infer anything I didn't write.

Mr_Simnock

I've seriously been thining of attending random CLP meetings with a Corbyn T-shirt on, just for the lols

shoulders

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on May 16, 2022, 03:31:11 PMI've seriously been thining of attending random CLP meetings with a Corbyn T-shirt on, just for the lols

These days, arrested, thrown, jail, etc

Paul Calf

Yeah, they'd definitely fuck it up though.

Blumf

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on May 16, 2022, 03:31:11 PMI've seriously been thining of attending random CLP meetings with a Corbyn T-shirt on, just for the lols

I wore this one a few times to my CLP:

Because I like the films Blade Runner and Alien, obviously.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: greencalx on May 16, 2022, 03:05:26 PMI still get emails from the CLP despite my resignation, including minutes of the meetings + attendee list. Please don't infer anything I didn't write.

Hahaha! I see the pompous arse hasn't replied.

pancreas

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on May 16, 2022, 04:47:47 PMHahaha! I see the pompous arse hasn't replied.

I've moved on, I'm afraid. Can't even remember what this is about.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: pancreas on May 16, 2022, 05:56:43 PMI've moved on, I'm afraid. Can't even remember what this is about.

Of course you have. It's embarrassing.

Sebastian Cobb

QuoteNEW: Labour has told frontbenchers not to travel to campaign for the forthcoming Tiverton and Honiton by-election in an apparent bid to give the Lib Dems a better chance of victory over the Tories

https://twitter.com/siennamarla/status/1526862338292334599 / https://www.politicshome.com/news/article/labour-frontbenchers-told-to-stay-away-from-tiverton-honiton-let-lib-dems-tories-byelection

Interesting, Labour came second in the last two elections but third prior to that, the seat was only invented in 1997. Stepping aside for a party that got 8% 5 years ago.