Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:31:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

We Built This City

Started by Tony Tony Tony, May 20, 2022, 05:16:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Tony Tony

As part of Queenies Jubbly celebrations eight new cities have been created.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61505857

Does this mean any real benefits other than bragging rights?

Anyone on here, like myself, waking up to find they are now a proud Citizen rather than a Town Tosspot? (In your face Luton)

shoulders

Yeah we named these cities cos Cunt of Death

shoulders

QuoteAfter Doncaster was hit by flooding in 2019, locals showed their community spirit in the relief effort

Masturbating into the foetid ooze, I hope.

Inspector Norse

Even the person writing the bit celebrating Milton Keynes' ascension to city status can't think of anything positive to say about it.

Replies From View

Begotten, not created.

This is too soon after Pluto's demotion.

Replies From View

QuoteThe new cities can expect a boost to local communities and open up new opportunities for people who live there, the Cabinet Office said.

Sorry, what can they expect?  What's "a boost to local communities"?  An influx of refugees, I'm hoping.

What "new opportunities" can the people living there expect, as well.  There's some mighty detail skipping going on. 

Fambo Number Mive

Will Colchester Town railway station have to be renamed?

kittens

there's no actual definition of what a city is, and when something new gets called a city nothing actually happens to that place. some guys just randomly chose some places and i have to hear about it

kittens

who here can honestly say they had ever heard of these foetid wretched holes, "wrexham" or "doncaster" or "miltonkeynes", before Her Majesty so graciously elevated them out of the filthy mire of townhood and into the glowing floating world of citydom. the people of "colchester" will sleep soundly tonight, for the first time in their pointless benighted lives.

monkfromhavana

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: monkfromhavana on May 20, 2022, 08:09:56 AMWho has been relegated?

My money is on my erstwhile home City of Salford to slip down the divisions and eventually become a mere hamlet before finally winking out of existence.

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on May 20, 2022, 07:58:16 AMWill Colchester Town railway station have to be renamed?

It's going to be closed and everyone will have to get off at Hythe and walk.

Poobum

Happy for Stanley, hope he tells all his friends.

Instead of this charm offensive, the Royals should give the Falklands back. (Bit of politics)

buttgammon

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on May 20, 2022, 05:16:54 AMAs part of Queenies Jubbly celebrations eight new cities have been created.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61505857

Does this mean any real benefits other than bragging rights?

Anyone on here, like myself, waking up to find they are now a proud Citizen rather than a Town Tosspot? (In your face Luton)

Yes, Wrexham has finally made it at only the fourth (I think) time of asking.

timebug

Our hometown was made a city back in 77. Same shit,different name....

bgmnts

Quote from: Replies From View on May 20, 2022, 07:25:42 AMSorry, what can they expect?  What's "a boost to local communities"?  An influx of refugees, I'm hoping.

What "new opportunities" can the people living there expect, as well.  There's some mighty detail skipping going on. 

Gaudy shopping centres and some shiny new tarmaced roads.

Gutting that Milton Keynes got city status but Cwmbrân didn't.

Replies From View

The best aspect of this is it's drawn my attention to the fact that I didn't know somewhere like Milton Keynes wasn't already a city.

It's like someone's pointing at Barry Manilow and saying "he's finally a dad".  Ah right was he not a dad before this then, right you are.  Was it an adoption? 

"No," they say.  "It wasn't."  And Garry Kief is there as well and he looks pleased as punch.  Absolutely beaming.

Except it's Milton Keynes instead.

EOLAN

Will now be as many cities in Northern Ireland as the Republic. That is my amazing stat.

And there stat that Perth grew by 12% over a 10 year period aftee city status was confirmed seems underwhelming. Doesn't suggest a huge surge and they didn't provide any similar town to benchmark against it.

Butchers Blind

They give out city status to anyone these days. Used to be a time where you had to get your local MP stabbed to death to achieve it. Sad.

imitationleather

I was actually surprised that Douglas and Stanley weren't already cities.

Any other cities that are also names for old men?

Kelvin

I'm from Colchester, family are all still in that area, so kind of shocked to see that on there. It's not the scale of a city at all, really.

Ferris

Quote from: Replies From View on May 20, 2022, 07:25:42 AMSorry, what can they expect?  What's "a boost to local communities"?  An influx of refugees, I'm hoping.

A: Shall we go to Bangor (and spend money)?

B: No, it is a mere town.

A: (reading BBC news website) ...wait, no, go and start the car, I'll explain on the way!!

pigamus

Quote from: imitationleather on May 20, 2022, 11:20:03 AMI was actually surprised that Douglas and Stanley weren't already cities.

Harryford

Replies From View

Quote from: Kelvin on May 20, 2022, 11:25:26 AMI'm from Colchester, family are all still in that area, so kind of shocked to see that on there. It's not the scale of a city at all, really.

Showing off with your best flex ever, this.

Wolverhampton became a city in 2001 and we noticed changes almost immediately, mainly to the signage.

shoulders

Quote from: imitationleather on May 20, 2022, 11:20:03 AMI was actually surprised that Douglas and Stanley weren't already cities.

Gary

shoulders

Quote from: Kelvin on May 20, 2022, 11:25:26 AMI'm from Colchester, family are all still in that area, so kind of shocked to see that on there. It's not the scale of a city at all, really.

Big population though. Haven't been to Colchester but I surmise, a bit like Doncaster and Wakefield, Colchester must just have large suburbs and an almost comically underwhelming town centre.

touchingcloth

I was thinking "what is point city?" and then I started thinking "probably they get some extra funding and autonomy, and I should stop being cynical and thinking it's a pointless bit of semantic shite with no actual meaning in reality".

Then I went to Wiki

QuoteAlthough it carries no special rights, the status of city can be a marker of prestige and confer local pride.

MARK MY PRESTIGE, CONFER ME PRIDE

imitationleather

Colchester is pretty but as it is chock full of squaddies you are taking your life into your own hands if you go to certain places on a night out.