Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:28:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Glinner: thread for backseat moderators and hand-wringing [split topic]

Started by QDRPHNC, June 20, 2020, 03:25:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pigamus

"Thank you for everything, Sian, you really have been my rock through all of this"

canadagoose

boki

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on May 21, 2022, 10:03:43 PMthe fucking shaky fucking legs on him

As a frequent leg-shaker myself, I think it's possible that this could be an ADHD thing, so I tend to feel a bit uncomfortable when it gets mentioned.

Dr Rock

Quote from: pigamus on May 21, 2022, 11:56:25 PM
"Thank you for everything, Sian, you really have been my rock through all of this"

Grayam Muchtransanger

DreadedScotsman

Quote from: prelektric on May 21, 2022, 05:24:10 PMHe's going nowhere. Also, his crusade is going nowhere. It will die, a shrinking minority that will just get bored and abandon it. He'll be left alone. And that's that.

I agree in the long run that's where things appear to be heading but getting complacent about calling this shit out can lead to things back sliding and I think you're underestimating how much sway he still has. We all know he's an atrocious frothing at the mouth bigot but he was invited on newsnight to discuss his bigotry he was invited to the House of Lords to discuss it, whilst he was a jabbering mess both times he still got the invite. Rosie Duffield cites glinners videos as being a contributing factor in her becoming gender critical, that's a sitting MP he's helped radicalise. I know all of this can be annoying but I still think it's worthwhile cataloguing the whole horror show.

JaDanketies

Quote from: boki on May 22, 2022, 03:02:22 AMAs a frequent leg-shaker myself, I think it's possible that this could be an ADHD thing, so I tend to feel a bit uncomfortable when it gets mentioned.

My family calls it "[Mum's maiden name]'s legs" because it's so common amongst us. I think we would control it on Newsnight tho.

I had a friend at school who's legs would go like that right up until the home time bell. It was just nervous energy in his case. That's how he got it out, he was like a serene duck above the waist and his legs would be going hell for leather under the desk.

I'm guessing that's what it is with Graham, he's never liked being in the spotlight, has he? I'm assuming he's not doing that when he's on the bus.

Might it be an Irish thing? They're always jigging about, aren't they?

JaDanketies

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on May 22, 2022, 05:19:41 PMI'm guessing that's what it is with Graham, he's never liked being in the spotlight, has he? I'm assuming he's not doing that when he's on the bus.

He loves the spotlight but he's not suited for it and knows it so he gives himself little parts here and there. Cunt thinks he's Tarantino.  "Do you see a sign outside my flat that says dead career storage?"

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Better Midlands on May 21, 2022, 06:12:47 PM

He seems to be spouting a load of paranoid bollocks. Sure, there have been some real mean spirited Cabbers but he's conveniently forgotten how many people on this forum truly loved much of his comedy output before he became so objectionable on social media. I'd be really interested to know how many Cabbers from twenty five years ago actually posted this The IT Crowd harsh criticism on Why That's Delightful.  Are many of them still here today? Also how many of them were/are aspiring comedians/ writers. 

Dex Sawash

Pink Gregory

If he were to recant everything he's been doing and make suitable amends (and it would have to be a fucking lot at this point) such as a large donation to trans charities, material support for deradicalisation from GC circles and complete rejection of the company he's kept for the last few years; I don't think we'd begrudge him forever.

However, what he has done so far is, frankly, unforgiveable, and I think the chances of him doing that are so slim that it's not worth considering.

Kankurette

I jiggle my legs. I think it might be a stim but then my brother does it as well and he's not autistic, so who knows.

JaDanketies

Quote from: Pink Gregory on May 22, 2022, 07:47:10 PMHowever, what he has done so far is, frankly, unforgiveable, and I think the chances of him doing that are so slim that it's not worth considering.

tbh he's at Chris Langham levels imo. There is no longer any mea culpa that is big enough. He's shown us the ugliest part of his arsehole and made sure we all got a careful look at it.

There's no way that anyone can look at him again and not think about when he loudly insisted that everyone on Earth pay attention to the most repulsive parts of his character for several years.

Dex Sawash

Barry Admin

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 22, 2022, 07:10:21 PMHe seems to be spouting a load of paranoid bollocks. Sure, there have been some real mean spirited Cabbers but he's conveniently forgotten how many people on this forum truly loved much of his comedy output before he became so objectionable on social media. I'd be really interested to know how many Cabbers from twenty five years ago actually posted this The IT Crowd harsh criticism on Why That's Delightful.  Are many of them still here today? Also how many of them were/are aspiring comedians/ writers. 

It's all in the archive, although sadly people didn't copy most of their blog remarks over to here. Most were just about the nature of criticism itself.

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?msg=746528

As I've said since, I regret it and got the tone wrong, but had no experience of blogs then. I tried to make some sort of amends years later on twitter, but he was a total dick to me. Not many people went over to the blog, but he would delete everything that was said anyway.

It passed quickly really. The thread is a bit embarrassing as it features a fight between me and yer man from Pugwash, which was the culmination of months of  him being a twat on here. He was at Linehan's wedding and took the whole blog thing super badly .

I had actually written a front page update singing the praises of the first series of the IT Crowd, based on a review copy of the first couple of episodes. I was very supportive of it, but that later episode where Matt Berry joined was fucking horrendous.

TBH I kind of stirred things up years later by writing a blog which criticised Noel Fielding for using his fans to savage his critics, and I took some swipes at "Twitter policeman Graham Linehan" which really sent him ballistic.

Mister Six

Quote from: Dex Sawash on May 22, 2022, 08:19:10 PMLet's get back to the backseat moderating

Barry, please move this to the thread about backseat moderating the backseat moderating thread, cheers.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Barry Admin on May 22, 2022, 08:21:12 PMIt's all in the archive, although sadly people didn't copy most of their blog remarks over to here. Most were just about the nature of criticism itself.

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?msg=746528

As I've said since, I regret it and got the tone wrong, but had no experience of blogs then. I tried to make some sort of amends years later on twitter, but he was a total dick to me. Not many people went over to the blog, but he would delete everything that was said anyway.

It passed quickly really. The thread is a bit embarrassing as it features a fight between me and yer man from Pugwash, which was the culmination of months of  him being a twat on here. He was at Linehan's wedding and took the whole blog thing super badly .

I had actually written a front page update singing the praises of the first series of the IT Crowd, based on a review copy of the first couple of episodes. I was very supportive of it, but that later episode where Matt Berry joined was fucking horrendous.

TBH I kind of stirred things up years later by writing a blog which criticised Noel Fielding for using his fans to savage his critics, and I took some swipes at "Twitter policeman Graham Linehan" which really sent him ballistic

Interesting read that 2007 thread. Well, I suppose everybody was still learning how to conduct themselves on social media, probably still are.
I know Sadness and he's mellowed out considerably since then.

Barry Admin

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 23, 2022, 06:34:32 PMInteresting read that 2007 thread. Well, I suppose everybody was still learning how to conduct themselves on social media, probably still are.
I know Sadness and he's mellowed out considerably since then.

Good, I have too. And yeah, everyone was still figuring out that kind of thing then, but the thread I think illustrates what an incredibly minor incident this all actually was. I largely gave up on the IT Crowd from that point on, and don't think I've even seen the fourth series.

But Linehan has never forgot or forgiven that one evening where a few people made some criticisms on his blog. In fact, he then launched the third series by crying about it:

Quote from: LinehanToday's the day, kids! I'm still editing, but I definitely think this is our best series. We really–

No, maybe I should keep expectations low.

We messed up. It doesn't work.

There! Now you're really gonna love it!

Couple of things–

No, I can't do anything about the laughter. Anyone who doesn't like studio sitcoms, let's just call it a day and start seeing other people. It's not working out.

Anyone who wants to start being nasty about me or the actors or the show, this is not the place. There are several sites out there where you can get your hate on and no-one will just instantly mark your comment as spam.  And best of luck with getting that script commissioned!

A big thank you to all the cast and crew who made this series such a blast to work on. I apologise for complaining on the rare occassions where something went wrong, and not noticing or remarking on it when things went right. I am sometimes an arse.

Last but not least, thanks to all the people who wrote in to this site and suggested props for the set. Man, that worked out.  Man, that worked out. I guess to most, it'll look exactly the same, but to me, it's a huge improvement and a permanent reminder of how much you dig the show. I am indebted to you all.

Let the games commence! (Channel 4, 10.00pm)

Brundle-Fly

'And best of luck getting that script commissioned'

Indeed.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Pink Gregory on May 22, 2022, 07:47:10 PMIf he were to recant everything he's been doing and make suitable amends (and it would have to be a fucking lot at this point) such as a large donation to trans charities, material support for deradicalisation from GC circles and complete rejection of the company he's kept for the last few years; I don't think we'd begrudge him forever.

Well I'm frankly amazed he hasn't taken you up on this more than generous offer, your excellency. Why it's virtually Christlike in its forgiving spirit.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: jamiefairlie on May 23, 2022, 07:17:27 PMWell I'm frankly amazed he hasn't taken you up on this more than generous offer, your excellency. Why it's virtually Christlike in its forgiving spirit.

At the very least he could stop doing what he's doing.

billyandthecloneasaurus

Quote from: billyandthecloneasaurus on July 23, 2022, 03:54:47 PMBarry, why do you not want the threads numbered anymore?

Quote from: Barry Admin on July 14, 2022, 10:41:31 AMBecause of the amount of very boring focus on the numbers themselves.

These are all really just one long thread, broken at an arbitrary point of 100 pages each time to reduce server load.

shoulders

Glinner from that 2007 thread above:

QuoteI don't know if that's correct 'netiquette' or not, but getting into online slanging matches with trolls is not the best use of my time.

Look mate, there's you from when you were not maybe a nice person but still had a grip on reality.

Utter Shit

The entire Grahan Linehan thread, and all those that have preceded it over the past couple of years. I kind of understood it when Lineham himself was still a relevant figure, but at this point I find it very weird, massive 'banging on the glass at the zoo' vibes for me. I know the discussion has been had a million times and I'm not pushing for it to be moved because if it was going to happen it would have been done a long time ago, but I find it so depressing that such a horrible, bleak thread is near-constantly the Last Post link for the comedy forum on the main forum page.

Tony Tony Tony

Sex Wax

Quote from: Utter Shit on September 15, 2022, 11:59:17 AMThe entire Grahan Linehan thread, and all those that have preceded it over the past couple of years. I kind of understood it when Lineham himself was still a relevant figure, but at this point I find it very weird, massive 'banging on the glass at the zoo' vibes for me. I know the discussion has been had a million times and I'm not pushing for it to be moved because if it was going to happen it would have been done a long time ago, but I find it so depressing that such a horrible, bleak thread is near-constantly the Last Post link for the comedy forum on the main forum page.

Seeing it right next to the thread celebrating the death of Kiwi Farms induced mindnumbing cognitive dissonance, hope it fucks off soon.

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: Utter Shit on September 15, 2022, 11:59:17 AMThe entire Grahan Linehan thread, and all those that have preceded it over the past couple of years. I kind of understood it when Lineham himself was still a relevant figure, but at this point I find it very weird, massive 'banging on the glass at the zoo' vibes for me. I know the discussion has been had a million times and I'm not pushing for it to be moved because if it was going to happen it would have been done a long time ago, but I find it so depressing that such a horrible, bleak thread is near-constantly the Last Post link for the comedy forum on the main forum page.

defo this

Barry Admin

Threads where people moan about threads they're not personally interested in, and give a really biased, cunty and unfair precis of them.